logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2013 19:40:32(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8536 time(s) in 2673 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “A Place Called Home (The Leaving Song)”
By: Riot! In The Boulevard
Release Date: February 17, 2013
Length: 4:38
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single, Weekly Airplay
Recorded: October 2012, Avatar Studios, New York, NY
Genre: Pop-Punk, Alternative Rock, Rock
Label: North Hill Records
Written: August 2012
Writer(s): Amy Meyer
Producer(s): Riot! In The Boulevard, Isaac Lovelock

“A Place Called Home (The Leaving Song)” is a song by American rock band ‘Riot! In The Boulevard’ and it is the tenth official single to be released in their short but productive careers so far. It is also the third single released from their most recent commercially successful third studio album ‘Crossroads’ (2012) and it follows hot on the heels of their previous singles ‘Somewhere On The Horizon’ and ‘How Did We Get Here?’ both of which were number #1 singles this marked the first time that the band have achieved consecutive number one singles since their widely successful breakthrough year in 2011 and it also marks one of the bands most productive periods in music ever since their 2011 breakthrough year, all of this culminated in the young rock band recently winning ‘Best Rock/Metal Act’ and ‘Best Band’ at the most recent ‘Chaos Awards’ this was then mirrored as they performed a three song acoustic set in front of a worldwide audience.

As is often the case with Riot! In The Boulevard, the track was composed initially by Amy Meyer and then taken to the rest of the band to collaborate and moderate the music for the track however the lyrics were written solely by Amy Meyer and invoke her own state of mind at the time of writing the song, which was a worry about growing up as she recently stated in a Rolling Stone cover story, “I may only be nineteen years old but recently I had been worrying about the prospect of growing older. I know it’s sort of insane but it’s something that troubled me, my friends are all growing older already and I feel like I’ve just remained still for these last three years and that’s partly down to the fact that if I was given the choice then I would choose to not grow up just yet. This is essentially what I wanted to put across in the song ‘A Place Called Home’, it’s about familiarity and looking at where you thought you’d be and wondering how you feel about where you actually are.
I think the final lyrics of that song are perhaps some of my favourites because it gives you everything that I was thinking about at the time when I wrote, ‘It’s now so plain to see/Those sweet little fantasies no longer run away with me/While all the non-believers are just the same/And those long distance conversations still remain.’ It gives you the biggest glimpse into my own psyche and if you read into those lyrics correctly then I couldn’t be happier because those are just about the most important lyrics that I’ve written in my life.”

When recently asked about why the band had chosen this particular track as their new single, lead guitarist ‘Justin Mullen’ said “I don’t exactly know how the fans feel about the track but as a band it’s a track that was really important while working on our last record. When you settle into a studio to begin work on a new album you’ll find that you’re met with the question of what the theme of the album is gonna be and how’s it gonna differ from the last one? And this is the song that answered most questions that we had about that. It’s a track that basically lets the audience know exactly where we are in our life, in our state of minds at that time. We we’re very much trying to figure out how to grow up but we also didn’t want to leave behind that youthful enthusiasm, at least not yet anyway. And when this song was fully formed, it was clear to all of us that this is a turning point for the band.
The reason for choosing it as a single, is maybe so that those who don’t buy the records and those who only pay attention to the single will be able to get a glimpse of a song a little more personal than previous songs. This is how we play as a band and this is what we currently think about as young adults and it’s important for us to give the song a platform, whether it reaches 25 more people than before or whether it reaches half a million more people, it was just really about giving the song a platform.”

Following a day of promotional activity from the band that included a teaser and a Culture Uncut article as well as the video of their ‘Chaos Awards’ performance being posted on their official video page it as well as the track prominently making its way into the bands setlist on their current ‘Crossroads World Tour’ earlier in the week, it has been confirmed that the new single, ‘A Place Called Home’ will be officially released as a CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single and will also be made available for the Weekly Airplay on February 17, 2013 and it will be released worldwide through North Hill Records.

BACKGROUND

‘A Place Called Home (The Leaving Song)’ was one of the first songs written for Riot! In The Boulevard’s third studio album ‘Crossroads’ it gave an early indication of the direction in which their latest album was likely to move in, as each member of the band are coming towards the end of the their teenage years, they will all arrive at the age of twenty next year with the exception of rhythm guitarist Adam Benjamin, and this early track indicates feelings and emotions of growing older and the temptation of leaving the life that they’ve all known once and for all.

The song’s lyrics were written by Amy Meyer during her stay at a hotel in Greenwich Village, New York in early August just a couple of days before the band were due to re-convene at a nearby recording studio, she had been emailed a soft melodic guitar track by Justin Mullen who had encouraged her to listen to it and attempt to put some words to the music, according to Amy, “I listened to that MP3 over and over again in an attempt to get something out of it but the words just wouldn’t come to me for whatever reason and it was a phone call from my mother a little later in the evening that was the catalyst for the song.
It wasn’t anything deep and moving but just my mom, talking about what had been happening in the past month back at home and it just hit me. My hometown is exactly that, it’s completely what it is meant to be, it’s familiar and safe and warm and there’s times when all I want to do is leave the place and then there’s other times when it couldn’t feel more beautiful because it’s filled with good memories and love and comfort and the song quickly wrote itself after that.”

An opening electric guitar riff filled with a tender melody introduces the song in a soft and wistful manner as the drum, bass and rhythm section of the band accentuate the introductory guitar playing and provide a strong backing for the main instrument throughout the song, it provides an emotional backdrop but with a slight powerful element provided by Justin’s guitar playing and as Amy bellows out the opening lines to the song in that familiar vocal, “Staring down the barrel of familiarity/My hometown hasn’t changed at all throughout the years/It’s just the same reminder of who I will always be/I always thought I’d leave this place, spread my wings and learn to fly/I always thought I’d find the courage/But these days I just can’t seem to find a reason why.” it’s clear that this is a quintessential Riot! In The Boulevard track, even from just the opening verse it has the stamp of the young rock group.

The music progresses steadily throughout at is it reaches the pre-chorus and chorus, the electric guitar providing the strong energy to the song now accompanied by the powerful drum beats provided by Nathan Mullen, the rhythm and bass elements are slightly noticeable too as they continue to provide the backing to the leading guitar riff and Amy once again opens her lungs and thunders out the lyrics with her trademark energetic nature, “I’m leaving town/Packing my bags and heading out/I don’t know when I’ll return/But I promise that I will someday/If I don’t do this now, I’ll never do it anyway.” and her vocals slow down and become more tender as she sings, “But I stop myself/Maybe I’m too afraid/I’m just not destined to leave/Perhaps this is my hometown for a reason/And it’s safe and it’s familiar/Maybe I’m just not destined to roam/I’ll stick to this place/This place that I call home.”

And as the song comes towards its closing stages the music all but fades during the final verse to the point where Amy is almost singing acapella, it’s a slow and moving vocal during the final verse that includes a poignant nod backwards to the direction of their debut album as Amy name checks their first three singles, the tracks that got them to where they are today, sang beautifully like as if it’s an ode to the person that she can’t fully remember anymore as she sings, “But it’s now so plain to see/Those sweet little fantasies no longer run away with me/While all the non-believers are just the same/And those long distance conversations still remain.”

LYRICS

“Staring down the barrel of familiarity
My hometown hasn’t changed at all throughout the years
It’s just the same reminder of who I will always be
I always thought I’d leave this place, spread my wings and learn to fly
I always thought I’d find the courage
But these days I just can’t seem to find a reason why

All those familiar things are comfortable and safe
It’s a part of life that I’ve always known
And although I always say that I’m gonna leave someday
That familiarity stops me from going

I sleep in the same room that I did as a child
I sleep in the same bed that I had as a teenager
I stare at the walls that have surrounded me for many years
And I realize that I’m comfortable
I know that I’ll never leave
No matter how many times I dream
They’ll never really become reality

I’m leaving town
Packing my bags and heading out
I don’t know when I’ll return
But I promise that I will someday
If I don’t do this now
I’ll never do it anyway

But I stop myself
Maybe I’m too afraid
I’m just not destined to leave
Perhaps this is my hometown for a reason
And it’s safe and familiar
Maybe I’m just not destined to roam
I’ll stick to this place
This place that I call home

I’ll sit in my room with a notebook and pen
I’ll write down my dreams and let them fade away again
My friends will be out there, exploring the great wide open
I’ll never truly give up my dreams
I’ll never stop hoping

But it’s now so plain to see
Those sweet little fantasies no longer run away with me
While all the non-believers are just the same
And those long distance conversations still remain”

PERSONNEL
Amy Meyer – lead vocals, lyrics, composition, production
Justin Mullen – lead guitar, backing vocals, production
Jason Greenberg – bass guitar, production
Nathan Mullen – drums, production
Adam Benjamin – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, production
Isaac Lovelock – production, mixing
thanks 6 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 16/02/2013(UTC), Walton on 16/02/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 17/02/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/02/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 17/02/2013(UTC), BrownSugar on 17/02/2013(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2013 23:17:33(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Julia: Sometimes our hearts refuses to leave a comfortable zone, and what other better comfortable zone than our own home? I can relate to that song, despite I'm 5 years older than you, sometimes it's hard and painful to remember childhood and the times where we used to run away from the backyards of our homes. good job guys!
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 17/02/2013(UTC)
Offline Mckenzie-  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2013 06:13:49(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Ryan: I actually hope you guys break up soon because im sick of singing your praises! Amy has always been a beautiful writer and this song is no different. I remember around summer of 2012 there was all the rumors circulating about you guys going on a hiatus or potentially breaking up, boy are we all glad that didn't happen. The song is very relatable, there has been times when im about to head out on tour and think 'Am I right in doing this?', It's a strange feeling. Oh and congratulations on the awards, well deserved.
retired x
thanks 1 user thanked Mckenzie- for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2013 06:44:46(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Really amazing rp as always :P I still envy you.

Jennifer: Amy, will you marry me? I'm so serious right now, you just ooze some phenomenal lyrics every single time, you just cannot be stopped! :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2013 08:41:08(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James: I seriously think I never want this era to end since it's been so consistently brilliant! I definitely think this was the perfect follow up to "How Did We Get Here" and a serious favorite on the album. Continue this great work, love the lyrics too Amy, always been an amazing song writer :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2013 08:49:36(UTC)
Walton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Aimée: the theme the lyrics for this song is absolutely incredible. It's just brilliant! I'm happy to see you guys keeping this era alive as well. Jolly good you guys!

OOC: Great job with this! Your lyrics and descriptions are always on point! :)
thanks 1 user thanked Walton for this useful post.
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2013 09:45:02(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: Amy, you're a songwriter genius! This song is pure perfection. Good work guys. :)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2013 09:50:05(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Andros: I always feel like it's unfair that a person should be as hot as this AND such an amazing songwriter. Oh and so nice too. Damn if you're gonna have all the talent at least give people a reason to hate you ;) I'm joking of course. Fantastic work as always.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.