logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2013 23:16:45(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “You’re The Poison, I’m The Antidote”
By: Riot! In The Boulevard
Release Date: November 2013
Length: 6:04
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single, Weekly Airplay
Recorded: July/August 2013 – Half-Moon Studios, Las Vegas, Nevada
Genre: Pop-Punk, Alternative Rock
Label: North Hill Records
Written: July 2013
Writer(s): Amy Meyer
Producer(s): Riot! In The Boulevard, Avil Hartman, Julian Morello

“You’re The Poison, I’m The Antidote” is a single, written and recorded by the American alternative rock/pop-punk band ‘Riot! In The Boulevard’. It will mark the bands thirteenth single released since their breakthrough in early 2011 and their subsequent rise to stardom. The track is taken from their highly successful fourth studio album ‘Wild Young Things’ and will serve as the third single to be released from that album, with their previous two singles ‘To All Of The Names Written On The Inside Of My Arm’ and ‘We Are The Half-Moon Kids’ peaking at #1 and #3 respectively. It marks the return to promotional activity for the band, having not released a new single since July, the band had spent the following months hard at work, crafting what has been described as ‘their best record yet’ and ‘a glorious showing of youthful rebellion and teenage angst’, with this track in particular being one of the early fan-favourites.

The song was written in July 2013, by lead singer ‘Amy Meyer’ at her New York City apartment, it was written during a brief break from their 93 date world tour which became one of the highest grossing tours of the year and the song came about in a moment of quiet contemplation by the flame-haired singer, “We were all started to feel really burned out by the tour, it happens during such long periods on the road. It’s like in marathons where they talk about hitting the wall, it’s very similar to that feeling, where you sort of know that you need to continue because there’s people out there relying on you, but inside you just wanna drop to the floor, your body wants to stop but your heart and your mind drive you to continue. The song comes from that feeling of people expecting certain things from me, I’m constantly battling with it, I want to be a role-model and someone that the kids can look up to and relate to, but when there’s also the people that just want you to fail and go away, thankfully those people are a lot more rare than the supportive people. But it still gets to you, when you’re giving it your all, you’re battling your way through a tough period and somebody has got something to say about how you did something wrong, or how you made a bad choice. This song comes from that frustration of certain unkind judgement that I’ve heard and it’s like my positive response to that.”
She continued to talk about the songs positive elements stemming from her own upbringing, “I was always brought up in that positive mind space, I was born into a family that takes their religion and faith very importantly. Born into a family that always encouraged positivity and not being afraid to aim high and I think I took some of that influence from them into my own adult life. I’ve had my own struggles and I still have my own struggles but I’ve always believed that I’ll grow stronger as a result of that. I’ve lived by the ‘accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative’ motto throughout my life and anything that I’ve had to deal with and I think this song has elements of that within it, I mean the line ‘You’re the poison spitting out your venom and bile/I’m the antidote, pain relief with a smile’ is really just my own re-wording of that old phrase to an extent. It’s also pretty much my favourite lyric that I’ve ever written.”

‘You’re The Poison, I’m The Antidote’ will become the third single released from their fourth studio album ‘Wild Young Things’, it has also become a highly-anticipated release by their fanbase as it’s been one of the longest periods without a new single released in the bands history. The track has been performed live on Riot!’s recent tour in Australia and New Zealand and was often left until later in the set which indicates the bands love and belief in the song, proven by such a positive reaction during the performances of the song. The release of this single also marks a change in pattern for the band, as in each of the previous years, the band have released four singles through January to December, this time around though, the release of this single will mark the fifth single to be released by the band within a year, whether this marks a more productive period for the band or not, will remain to be seen.
The track was recorded between July and August at the bands very own ‘Half-Moon Studios’ located in their hometown of Las Vegas, Nevada with production from the entire band alongside Avil Hartman and Julian Morello. The single will be released in a number of formats which include, CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single as well as through streaming sites such as Spotify, Soundcloud, Last.FM and YouTube. It will be distributed through North Hill Records on November 24, 2013.

Alternative Press Review

Quote:
“Riot! In The Boulevard have evolved so much in the past three years but they also remain the same. It’s an absolute conundrum how they’ve managed to achieve this, when they burst onto the music scene at the 21st IMA’s it had become clear that they were gonna make their presence known, that iconic image of Amy Meyer speeding down the runway in those bright yellow jeans, microphone in hand and lips pressed together is one that will stay with Riot! fans for as long as they continue to love and worship this group of musicians. It was the performance that launched them, from the flawless delivery of their punchy pop-punk debut single ‘Sweet Little Fantasies’ to the absolute confidence and energy of the red-haired lead singer it made people gravitate towards them, most notably a teenage contingent that wanted something to believe in and Riot! In The Boulevard grasped onto their opportunity with both hands.

The enigma with the band is their evolution, their self-titled debut album will always be seen as a classic to their fans, it was a highly unpretentious record that revolved around catchy hooks and punchy anthemic pop-punk choruses, it was tailor made for a teenage audience, the leader of the pack ‘Amy Meyer’ had only recently turned 18 years old by the time the record was released and she quickly became a hero in the eyes of high school kids everywhere.
With their second release, ‘Cradle to the Grave’, the band expanded themselves a little more as musicians, the songs were less easily digestible than their debut but provided an avalanche of fan favourites that remain a standout of the bands live performances, it also moved the band from ‘star potential’ territory into ‘something special’, their rock roots never wavered with their second release but with their third album ‘Crossroads’ it saw the band move from upcoming rock champions into a huge music act, they had burst through the genre barrier and became just about one of the biggest acts in the music industry, Amy has in the past stated that ‘Crossroads’ is her least favourite release from the band and they may have lost some of their hardcore fanbase at least for a short time but in 2013 they came back firing.
‘Wild Young Things’ is the band’s masterpiece, the record was recorded over a gruelling seven month period, during breaks from a huge world tour the band spent time crafting what they wanted to be the best record they could ever make, it wasn’t about outdoing what they had done in the past, it wasn’t about winning back some hardcore fans that had lost interest, it was about creating the quintessential record about youth. It seems to blend everything that the band want to be, it has a huge rock base running throughout it, but mixes in elements of electronica and pop that serve to prove that Riot! aren’t just rock titans but are in fact industry titans now.

The third single, ‘You’re The Poison, I’m The Antidote’ is a quintessential Riot! track, opening up on a lead guitar and bass guitar combination and then joined by the powerful drumming of Nathan Mullen. The instrumental backdrop is fast-paced and punchy that divert those people in their early twenties back to their high school days of bands like ‘Fall Out Boy’, ‘Jimmy Eat World’ and ‘Panic! At The Disco’, the songs opening lyrics are whispered through the microphone by Amy Meyer, those that remember the song ‘Bodies’ by ‘Drowning Pool’ and the whispered refrain of “Let the bodies hit the floor/Let the bodies hit the floor.” which built up to a powerful eruption of that same phrase will perhaps hear a similarity to start with, of course that’s where the similarity ends though as the band instantly create another tailor made track for their young fanbase, the opening words to the second verse are about being true to yourself and not changing for anyone, perfect for those in high school and dealing with peer pressure and confusion.
Amy’s vocals throughout are just about as strong as they’ve ever been, if you’re more of a fan of the vocals she displayed on Riot!’s debut album then you’ll no doubt be happy to hear the similarly energetic, punchy and powerful vocal delivery, also the lyrics in this song are perhaps some of Riot!’s best, already you can picture those fan made images that you see on sites like Tumblr and Twitter displaying lyrics like (“You’re like a hurricane leaving behind you a trail of the dead/I’m the congregation, preaching words that go straight over your head.”) – (“Giving all that I have, just to keep breathing/It’s harder now that you’ve found me out, because inside I’m bleeding.”) – (“I may as well write a list/Of everything I’m bad at or lack/But I’m just me, I always will be/I’m ready to start fighting back”) but there is the standout, stated by Amy Meyer as her favourite line that she’s ever written, it is simple but so effective (“You’re the poison, spitting out your venom and bile/I’m the antidote, pain relief with a smile”).
Throughout the song, the combination of Amy and Justin seems to work as well as it ever has. All through the history of rock music, the combination between lead guitar and lead vocal has always been important, ‘Joe Perry and Steven Tyler’, ‘Jimmy Page and Robert Plant’, ‘Brian May and Freddie Mercury’, ‘Slash and Axl Rose’ and the list could go on for days, the point is that when Amy and Justin put their main attributes together, it creates something special like those combinations that have gone before them and when it works, it works really well, evident on this new single which could be their best yet, the band that have had their eyes on world domination from day one aren’t too far away from that now.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Lyrics

“You don’t know me! you don’t know me! you don’t know me ... yet!
Eyes looking at me! eyes looking at me! eyes looking at me!
Secretly judging! secretly judging! secretly judging!
Whisper! whisper! whisper!
Ice queen! ice queen! ice queen!
Well here I am!

I’ll never be what you want, I won’t change just to make you happy
I will always be who I am, I couldn’t ever be somebody else
And I may be screwed up but that’s okay
And if that’s not enough then so be it
Because this is the real me
And I like it this way

You’re the poison spitting out your venom and bile
I’m the antidote, pain relief with a smile
You’re like a hurricane leaving behind you a trail of the dead
And I’m the congregation, preaching words that go straight over your head
I’m trying my hardest to change the world
Soul by soul and smile by smile
But for this world to be fixed it’s gonna take a little while

Congratulations, my flaws have been discovered
All of the things that I lack have now been uncovered
And giving all that I have
Just to keep breathing
But it’s harder now that you’ve found me out
Because inside I’m bleeding
Why can’t you just understand me
The way that I understand you
Why do you have to bring me down
Why do I go through all of this for someone as pointless as you

But listen up!
I’m not about to go changing
My life ain’t about to be turned around
I won’t start re-arranging
I am the person that I always see
The insecure image staring back at me
And I may as well write a list
Of everything that I’m bad at or lack
But I’m just me
And I always will be
I’m ready to start fighting back

I’ll never be what you want
I won’t change just to make you happy
I will always be who I am because I couldn’t ever be somebody else
And I may be screwed up but that’s okay
Because this is the real me
And I like it this way

You’re the poison spitting out your venom and bile
I’m the antidote, pain relief with a smile
You’re like a hurricane leaving behind you a trail of the dead
And I’m the congregation, preaching words that go straight over your head
I’m trying my hardest to change the world
Soul by broken soul and smile by crooked smile
But for this world to be fixed it’s gonna take a little while

Well here I am!
Ice queen! ice queen! ice queen!
Whisper! whisper! whisper!
Secretly judging! secretly judging! secretly judging!
Eyes looking at me! eyes looking at me! eyes looking at me!
You don’t know me! you don’t know me! you don’t know me … yet!”

Personnel

Amy Meyer – lead vocals, lyrics, composition, production
Adam Benjamin – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, composition, production
Justin Mullen – lead guitar, composition, production
Jason Greenberg – bass guitar, composition, production
Nathan Mullen – drums, percussion, composition, production
Avil Hartman – production, mixing
Julian Morello – production, mixing, engineering
thanks 8 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 23/11/2013(UTC), snap_itshannah on 23/11/2013(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 23/11/2013(UTC), Walton on 23/11/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 24/11/2013(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 24/11/2013(UTC), Matticus on 25/11/2013(UTC), GirlSpice on 27/11/2013(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2013 23:34:32(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Oscar: You guys don't know how happy I am that this has been released as a single. By far my favourite track on the new record :)

OOC: Excellent work as always. I loved the review part in particular :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 24/11/2013(UTC)
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2013 00:09:00(UTC)
Walton

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
OOC: Great work once again. Very interesting songwriting as well. It all looks great! :)

Serenity: The lyrics have been composed and written brilliantly. I love how Amy took influence from her family's positive thinking. You're a brilliant songwriter Amy. :) And I love Nathan's drumming skills and Adam and Jason's guitar playing as well. You're all extremely talented at what you do. :)
thanks 1 user thanked Walton for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 24/11/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2013 01:15:50(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Do I need to say how excellent this is or do you already know? :P

Jennifer: If anyone were to argue with me that Riot! is not the biggest band out there right now, I'd point them to your discography in a heartbeat. This is insane, like mentally insane and it's great. Amy, your voice, I want it :P It's sooo amazing, everything about this track from the instruments to the vocals to the lyrics and theme, (btw LOVE your motto in life!) WHY ARE YOU SO PERFECT?
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 25/11/2013(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 25 November 2013 01:03:20(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Oscar: You guys don't know how happy I am that this has been released as a single. By far my favourite track on the new record :)

OOC: Excellent work as always. I loved the review part in particular :)

Justin: Thanks man, It's definitely one of our favourite songs! Glad that we chose our next single well!

OOC: Thaaaaaaaanks! The review was just because it would have been easier than writing a song description! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2013 01:05:44(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Walton Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Great work once again. Very interesting songwriting as well. It all looks great! :)

Serenity: The lyrics have been composed and written brilliantly. I love how Amy took influence from her family's positive thinking. You're a brilliant songwriter Amy. :) And I love Nathan's drumming skills and Adam and Jason's guitar playing as well. You're all extremely talented at what you do. :)

OOC: Thaaaanks! :)

Amy: Awww thanks Serenity! That's so such a sweet thing to say. Ahh yeah, family is always the driving force, that's the way that it really should be, right?! :)

Nathan: Somebody just complemented me ... it's a little unsettling!
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 25 November 2013 01:12:20(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Do I need to say how excellent this is or do you already know? :P

Jennifer: If anyone were to argue with me that Riot! is not the biggest band out there right now, I'd point them to your discography in a heartbeat. This is insane, like mentally insane and it's great. Amy, your voice, I want it :P It's sooo amazing, everything about this track from the instruments to the vocals to the lyrics and theme, (btw LOVE your motto in life!) WHY ARE YOU SO PERFECT?

OOC: Oh, I definitely already know! Haha I'm joking of course, I have no clue how excellent it is! I just thought "it'll do!"

Amy: Awwwwwwwwww, you're always super supportive and passionate about our music haha you're always just so darn sweet, hey I'd be quite willing to switch voices with you, you're a freaking powerhouse! Ahh yeah, it's an important phrase to me! You gotta have something to get you through the rough days. Awwwww, I'm seriously like extremely imperfect, it's actually unreal how imperfect I really am. I'm epically flawed!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 26/11/2013(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2013 03:50:11(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Julia: There are no doubts that "Wild Young Things" is your best album, it has such a class rock and roll attitude on its tracks and we clearly perceive it by listening to this new single of yours “You’re The Poison, I’m The Antidote”. It's such a personal song too but I love the way Amy sounded on it, she has one of the most iconic powerful rock voices out there! great job guys.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 27/11/2013(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#9 Posted : 27 November 2013 04:18:33(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Nadia: I LOVE YOU GUYS. It's scary how much I can relate to this one, and it's part of what makes Riot! work so well. The material is so incredible, but the songs are always incredibly inspirational, and there's a great energy to this one in particular. Okay, fan-girling over. ;)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 27/11/2013(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2013 23:19:33(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Julia: There are no doubts that "Wild Young Things" is your best album, it has such a class rock and roll attitude on its tracks and we clearly perceive it by listening to this new single of yours “You’re The Poison, I’m The Antidote”. It's such a personal song too but I love the way Amy sounded on it, she has one of the most iconic powerful rock voices out there! great job guys.

Amy: Thanks Julia! We're all really super passionate about our last record, we definitely feel that it's the best work we've ever done, so it's always nice to hear that people agree! Thanks, I'm so glad that you like the single, we loved it! Ahh, I'm not sure about that haha but thank you! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2013 23:23:06(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Nadia: I LOVE YOU GUYS. It's scary how much I can relate to this one, and it's part of what makes Riot! work so well. The material is so incredible, but the songs are always incredibly inspirational, and there's a great energy to this one in particular. Okay, fan-girling over. ;)

Adam: Nooooooo, just keep fan-girling, it's awesome! Makes me feel like some sort of Jesus figure, just the fact that I was some part of it! We like trying to make sense of our own lives through our songs, it's so cool that our own inner turmoil is so popular with you people, it is a little psychotic of you all though, it's like if we suddenly have everything figured out then nobody will listen to our songs anymore! Sad times Berry, sad times indeed! :(