logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2016 20:02:36(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8551 time(s) in 2683 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Where the Real Things Are”
Artist: Kara Romero
Release Date: March 27, 2016
Length: 5:09
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay, 7” Single
Recorded: February 2016 – Basement Studios, Brooklyn, New York, US
Genre: Rap, Alternative Hip-Hop, Adult Contemporary
Label: Just Record
Written: February 2016
Writer(s): Kara Romero
Producer(s): Kara Romero, TJ Cousins

“Where the Real Things Are” is the title of the fifth official single released from the American rap/adult contemporary singer ‘Kara Romero’. The single marks an extremely productive year so far from the musician who has released two singles already this year, the first being the emotive and honest “Same Old Tears” which saw the singer bare her soul as she rapped about the challenges of losing her mother at a young age and the subsequent use of vices that she used to numb the pain of such a loss and lack of a strong female role model. She then followed that up with the strong and confident “Perish” a track where she acknowledged that she may not have built on her potential in her breakthrough year but showed that she’s still got plenty of fight left in her and she was ready to prove doubters wrong. Both of which peaking at number #2 on the singles charts, her highest commercial positions in her career and as well as that she is a star in the April movie ‘One Final Memory’ and has also featured on a single by American rock trio ‘Riot! in the Boulevard’ on the remixed version of their song ‘Poster Kids of Pop-Punk’. It has proven to be a busy year as predicted by media outlets including ‘Culture Uncut’ as the singer is finally closing in on the release of her debut album, something that has been on hold since her debut back in 2012, with label issues and inconsistency being primary reasons for such a huge delay, it’s been said that 2016 will be the year that Romero finally shows her true ability to the music industry and delivers on the potential that many saw back in 2012.

The track was written by Kara in February 2016, inspired by the awards season, the track not only takes a shot at the fakery surrounding the entertainment industry but also at herself for being drawn into the hype, the lyrics in particular, “Alright, so here’s the gist, this is what it fucking is/Cause you’re still pretty new and you ain’t nominated for shit/This is a chance to get some extra hits.” It’s not new for Kara to reference her own shortcomings in her lyrics as she has done in previous singles, most notably “Perish” where she referenced the fact that she never truly lived up to her potential when she originally broke through.
The track continues the hype towards her debut album, recently confirmed to be titled “Do I Have Your Attention Now?” and marks a truly busy beginning to the new year for Kara as she continues to build anticipation towards her long-awaited debut album. The track was recorded in February at Basement Studios in Brooklyn, New York and was produced by Kara alongside TJ Cousins. It will be released on March 27, 2016 as a CD Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay and a 7” Single.

Lyrics;

“The hours are ticking down to the big night
Red carpet, fancy dress, suit and tie in front of the spotlight
Like fuck it kid, you’ve really made it
When you’re talking bullshit with the rich and famous
Isn’t this where you always wanted to be?
Staples Center, at the Fan Choice Awards and the Goldies
Wonder if it’s really like how it looks on TV
Everybody talkin’, laughin’, smilin’ showing their white teeth
Now I’m learning
Ain’t nothing like how it looks on TV

Walk up to the red carpet, smiling like I’ve been told to
Paparazzi snap a couple quick ones and I’m hearing, “Kara we don’t want you”
I’m being shuffled inside by security
Not being mean, but your face don’t get us hits like a blurry shot of Izzy
So they take us to the back and run us through the show
There’s management talking for the artists
Backstage demands and more
There’s a newbie being told to get a photo with Weekend
So they can latch onto their fame and snatch a few fans along the way
The fuck is this place?
I’m taken to my seat, told to put a big smile on my face
When the camera pans around, remember that’s the goal from the evening
Make sure you’re seen enough
I guess now, I understand the meaning

Sometimes I wonder where the real things are
Where the real things are, where the real things are
Sometimes I wonder when the lights will go dark
When the lights will go dark, when the lights will go dark

Alright, so here’s the gist, this is what it fucking is
Cause you’re still pretty new and you ain’t nominated for shit
This is a chance to get some extra hits
So find yourself a singer in the same boat as you
Start some beef and tomorrow they’ll be talkin’ bout you
Your name will be all over TMZ and Twitter
It’s the only way we can make your stock rise quicker

So I’m thinking to myself, man these fuckers can’t be for real
They say a lot of upcoming artists cut this sort of deal
And I’m like nah, I just don’t see how that’s true
But then I’m looking round the room and I’m like oh shit, they do
Got a few guys coming up to me
Asking to take photos and a couple of selfies
I’m like, yeah sure, you seem pretty cool
They like, thanks ma, you know the kinds of rumours this will fuel?
Holy fuck, when will this shit end?
Can’t we just be real and not fucking pretend?
We make music, it’s a passion, an expression, a creative outlet for our aggression
It’s about power, it’s about freedom, it’s about always believing
It’s life, it’s love, it can be everything it can and should
It’s where we can say everything we wanna say
But I guess we lost it
Somewhere along the way

When the lights will go dark, when the lights will go dark”

Personnel;

Kara Romero – lyrics, vocals, production
Augustine Francis – drums, programming, keyboards
Ignacio Santos – bass, mixing, programming
TJ Cousins – production, mixing, engineering
Rebecca Lowell - photography
thanks 12 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 27/03/2016(UTC), GirlSpice on 27/03/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 28/03/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/03/2016(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 28/03/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/03/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/03/2016(UTC), freestylechamp on 28/03/2016(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/03/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 29/03/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 29/03/2016(UTC), PANIC! on 01/04/2016(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2016 20:32:19(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Valentina: Giiirl what a story! Those lyrics are giving me life, lord knows I love a song with an actual message behind it heheh. I feel quite lucky that as a newcomer... well idk if I'm still considered a newcomer... but I feel lucky anyway that my own experiences weren't like this song, cause I know shit like this really does happen, and I ain't down with that fakery. Anywayzzz sounds like another hit and I'm superduper excited for your album and... yeah! Go you!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 27/03/2016(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2016 00:57:15(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
Erica: yes! we werent mentioned. we are still punk as fuck.

Nina: um...didnt you host an awards show,love?

erica:well yeah...but i was being totally ironic about it,you know.

nina:ironic?! i dont think that word means what you think it means.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 28/03/2016(UTC)
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2016 04:20:23(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Matt: "The fuck is this place?" Yeah I feel that. You spit some serious fire on this track, and show genuine intelligence and maturity. Sadly the latter might not get you far in this industry, but the former just might. I know I'm a fan
UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
thanks 1 user thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
Offline freestylechamp  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2016 06:48:17(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Tyler: What, like seriously who let the no one throw everyone a truth bomb. She does know that one picture with Izzy nips can get you a big lick compare to her doing charity work. Pictures of billy dick have been known to pay big bucks and that what people like to see train wreck, perfection flawed, gossip about little things. You talking real shit? be thankful you didn't have your career buried.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2016 19:12:48(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Valentina: Giiirl what a story! Those lyrics are giving me life, lord knows I love a song with an actual message behind it heheh. I feel quite lucky that as a newcomer... well idk if I'm still considered a newcomer... but I feel lucky anyway that my own experiences weren't like this song, cause I know shit like this really does happen, and I ain't down with that fakery. Anywayzzz sounds like another hit and I'm superduper excited for your album and... yeah! Go you!

Kara: Yeah, it's not just the awards shows, you can see it in the industry as a whole. But it's more obvious on those nights. I think there's some lucky ones in the industry that don't experience it as much when they start out, but there's a lot of it that goes on. But thank you, I'm glad that you're looking forward to the album, hopefully you enjoy it!
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2016 19:13:58(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: yes! we werent mentioned. we are still punk as fuck.

Nina: um...didnt you host an awards show,love?

erica:well yeah...but i was being totally ironic about it,you know.

nina:ironic?! i dont think that word means what you think it means.

Kara: You girls always keep it real!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
erich hess on 28/03/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2016 19:15:30(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Osprey037[Reported Failure wrote:
;433434]Matt: "The fuck is this place?" Yeah I feel that. You spit some serious fire on this track, and show genuine intelligence and maturity. Sadly the latter might not get you far in this industry, but the former just might. I know I'm a fan

Kara: Yeah, it's how I feel in the industry. Thanks, hopefully there's more to come!
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2016 19:22:39(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Tyler: What, like seriously who let the no one throw everyone a truth bomb. She does know that one picture with Izzy nips can get you a big lick compare to her doing charity work. Pictures of billy dick have been known to pay big bucks and that what people like to see train wreck, perfection flawed, gossip about little things. You talking real shit? be thankful you didn't have your career buried.

Kara: Just call it like I see it! I'm not saying it's down to the artists specifically, like I think Izzy and Weekend have earned everything they have. I'm just sayin' you get people trying to find shortcut's to quick fame, a photo on instagram with Weekend will get you more fans than your song ever will and that's how some people go into the industry these days. I have no fear about having my career buried, I had my career buried around four years ago, it's no biggie!
Offline Famouss7x7  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2016 10:07:15(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: I absolutely love these lyrics! The way you used wordplay to tell a story through lyrics is so clever and it really makes Kara come across as a a really strong songwriter,but that's you of course haha. Great work on this song and I can't wait for the album!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 02/04/2016(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#11 Posted : 03 April 2016 23:05:28(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
Billy: Ugh, I can't stand award shows. It's mainly because of all the fake and pretentious people floating around acting like they're everyone's best friend. As for the photograph thing? That really gets on my proverbial tits. I don't mind if someone is a genuine fan but I hate when all these fame hungry and upcoming newbies pose with us then tweet and post the picture on Instagram, captioning all sorts of shit like we're their best friends. Anyone, I'm venting now. Just want to say that I loved the song and I think you're one of the best out there right now ;)

ooc: I really loved these lyrics. The premise of the song itself is a great one but it can be hard to pull off. Rather than reading like a whiny Lorde song and using this as a chance to just bash everything, I found it to be rather enjoyable and the word play is extremely intelligent. It paints a perfect picture of how Kara feels about the industry and helped give me a further insight into the character. I love when songs are written about experiences the characters have had or emotions they've felt. Really great read!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 04/04/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#12 Posted : 10 April 2016 18:36:00(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: I absolutely love these lyrics! The way you used wordplay to tell a story through lyrics is so clever and it really makes Kara come across as a a really strong songwriter,but that's you of course haha. Great work on this song and I can't wait for the album!

OOC: Thanks, I feel like writing songs for her has made me put in a bit more effort, so I'm glad that it shows.
Offline C4AJoh  
#13 Posted : 10 April 2016 18:43:03(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Billy: Ugh, I can't stand award shows. It's mainly because of all the fake and pretentious people floating around acting like they're everyone's best friend. As for the photograph thing? That really gets on my proverbial tits. I don't mind if someone is a genuine fan but I hate when all these fame hungry and upcoming newbies pose with us then tweet and post the picture on Instagram, captioning all sorts of shit like we're their best friends. Anyone, I'm venting now. Just want to say that I loved the song and I think you're one of the best out there right now ;)

ooc: I really loved these lyrics. The premise of the song itself is a great one but it can be hard to pull off. Rather than reading like a whiny Lorde song and using this as a chance to just bash everything, I found it to be rather enjoyable and the word play is extremely intelligent. It paints a perfect picture of how Kara feels about the industry and helped give me a further insight into the character. I love when songs are written about experiences the characters have had or emotions they've felt. Really great read!

Kara: Granted I haven't been to many, but the whole thing is a bit f*cked up. I've seen how some of artists and their "people" or "team" do things, and to me that's fame by association not fame by merit, I think there's a massive difference between the two. It works for them, because they do get that attention in the aftermath but it's not the right way in my book.

OOC: Thanks, I was pretty happy with how it ended up. I thought it could have gone the other way but I'm glad that it seems to have been taken well. I'm trying to write that way more for Kara than anyone, having her backstory that she came into the industry a few years ago and never made it and kinda has that chip on her shoulder. Thank you, I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :)