logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2017 01:26:04(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Life Ain't Fair”
Artist: “Jaymay”
Taken From: TBA (2017)
Release Date: 31 March, 2017
Length: 4:11
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single, Weekly Airplay
Genre: Rap, Hip-Hop
Label: Songs to Love and Die By
Recorded: January 2017 - Avatar Studios, Manhattan, New York City, New York
Written: December 2016
Writer(s): Jackson 'Jaymay' Miller
Producer(s): Jackson 'Jaymay' Miller, Christian Fallon, Cara Zayn

“Life Ain't Fair” is a song written and recorded by American alternative rap/hip-hop artist 'Jaymay'. It's the second single to come from the South Carolina born artist and follows his November 2015 debut single “Stronger Than You Think” which struggled to chart, peaking at just number fourteen. It's been a relatively low-key period for the artist with just a couple of features to his name in the time since, an appearance on the 'Riot! in the Boulevard' remix album and as a featured artist on 'Chantal Hayes' hugely successful 2016 single “One Way Ticket”. Aside from those two collaborative efforts, the musician has been quietly touring and working obsessively in the recording studio in preparation for his debut album which is expected to finally be finished in the coming months and will likely see a 2017 release date.

The announcement of his second official single came with the following message; “It's been a long road since my debut single and I'm fully aware that a lot of people that were into have since gone away. I understand that this is a fast-paced industry and you can't really afford to take your time. But these are the songs that will become my debut album and it's important for me to make sure that I know the story that I want to tell and I figure out the very best way to tell it. I want my work to be as honest and true as it can possibly be and sure, some people class it as rap or hip-hop. But to me, it ain't. It's just music. It's just me, trying to tell my story. I ain't playing a long-form game here, I'm just working hard on my songs and trying to make sure that I put out the best songs that I can put out there. The album is almost finished, a couple more tracks need to be finished up and then it'll be ready.”

The song is a quick-fire track that features a lot of information into a four minute song, it's background instrumentals are emotive and a little dark and it's lyrics are performed with an aggression and power to them. Instantly it becomes clear that the song is about the artists own upbringing, referencing his home state of South Carolina early on, “Born and raised on minimum wage/Brought up in the south coast of the United States/Just a small town in South Carolina is where I started from/Still fuckin' here for god knows how long/Same old parks that I used to spend every day/Haunt me like old photographs that never went away/And I'm the only one that's left/My beating heart is full of rage and regret.” instantly sets a tone and begins to start to tell a story about frustration, anger and eventually regret at some of the choices that he made and the effects that they had on the important people of his life.
It''s the second verse of the song where the story picks up however, “Yeah, maybe I never made it easy for my mom/Always thought there was somewhere better for me to belong/And I fucked up, I know that much/But I kept telling myself that nobodies ever had it this rough/Just constantly walking round the block with this chip on my shoulder/Weighing me down like a motherfucking boulder.” and it becomes clear that he understands what he did wrong and that there was people in his life that were trying their best for him and he was unable to see beyond his selfish ideals and beliefs that there was something more out there for him.

The pre-chorus and the chorus are the songs main points though, despite them providing less information to the story than the previous two verses, they manage to show the true heart of the song and the artist, “See, I fucking see it now/See how hard you really tried/To keep your shit together/To keep those tears from your eyes/And I never saw the pain you were feeling/Cause dad left you too/But I was too busy reeling/I was just a dumb-ass kid/That didn't know shit/And mom I fucked up/I know I did.” and the mood of the songs instantly changes as it becomes very clear that this is a lament and a tribute to his mother for holding things together during the toughest times, the music is soft and gentle as is his tone of voice now as he continues, “But I was angry at you/For letting that asshole just walk through/Never to see his fucking face for seven years/And I hate that those scars are still there/He doesn’t even seem to care/And I’m with you mom/Life ain’t fair.” and with the final verse bringing an apology we see the song become complete as it does everything you imagine he intended for it to do.

The track marks the second official single from Jackson 'Jaymay' Miller, it was recorded at Avatar Studios in Manhattan, New York City and was recorded by Cara Zayn and Christian Fallon alongside Jaymay and it will be distributed through 'Songs to Love and Die By' on March 31, 2017 in a variety of number formats including as a CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single and Weekly Airplay.

“Life Ain’t Fair”

“Born and raised on minimum wage
Brought up in the south coast of the United States
Just a small town in South Carolina is where I started from
Still fucking here for god knows how long
Same old parks that I used to spend every day
Haunt me like old photographs that never went away
And I’m the only one that’s left
My beating heart is full of rage and regret

Yeah, maybe I never made it easy for my mom
Always thought there was somewhere better for me to belong
And I fucked up, I know that much
But I just kept telling myself that nobodies ever had it this rough
Just constantly walking round the block with this chip on my shoulder
Weighing me down like a motherfucking boulder
And I drank too much shit and smoked too much dope
Think I’d have done less damage with a noose wrapped around my throat
And I fucked up, too many times
Just for cheap thrills and petty crimes

See, I fucking see it now
See how hard you really tried
To keep your shit together
To keep those tears from your eyes
And I never saw the pain you were feeling
Cause dad left you too
But I was too busy reeling
I was just a dumb-ass kid
That didn’t know shit
And mom I fucked up
I know I did

But I was so angry at you
For letting that asshole just walk through
Never to see his fucking face for seven years
And I hate that those scars are still there
He doesn’t even seem to care
And I’m with you mom
Life ain’t fair

So I’m sorry that I just made matters worse
Acting like I’m the only one that got hurt
And bringing so much trouble to you
I didn’t mean to put you through all the shit I put you through
I can see now just how much you tried
Working your ass off beyond a simple nine to five
And you did what you could
Made sure I was warm
Food on the table and a place to call home
And I never appreciated it
Or saw your strength
But now I see
That’s the kind of person I wanna be”
thanks 10 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 01/04/2017(UTC), freestylechamp on 01/04/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 01/04/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 01/04/2017(UTC), BrownSugar on 01/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 02/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 03/04/2017(UTC), erich hess on 16/04/2017(UTC), kandii on 20/04/2017(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2017 06:34:01(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
OOC: I'm always impressed by the way you structure these songs. in hip hop, having a beat or rhythm that goes with the flow is how a lot of people get their songs over in real life, and you write songs that flow so well with the description that I wish I could do. It isn't easy doing that for any song let alone a rap song but you do them well.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 03/04/2017(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2017 01:25:27(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
OOC: I'm always impressed by the way you structure these songs. in hip hop, having a beat or rhythm that goes with the flow is how a lot of people get their songs over in real life, and you write songs that flow so well with the description that I wish I could do. It isn't easy doing that for any song let alone a rap song but you do them well.

OOC: Thanks man, that means a lot because you obviously know your stuff about the genre. I have very minimal knowledge of hip-hop. I'm just a pop-punk kid really hahah but I tend to have a pretty vivid idea of what my songs would sound like and just try to write it down and describe it as best as I can. Sometimes it doesn't work so I appreciate the fact that they've helped you understand the songs tone better than just the lyrics.
Online BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2017 15:13:14(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19140 time(s) in 7602 post(s)
Deneil: Seen your name about for a while now, fam. You always deliver whenever you pop up every so often. Think a lot of people overlook you but you got mad talent, bruv. Def wanna hear more from you. Gonna get this on 7" vinyl. It's sick, mate.

OOC: Meant to comment on this ages ago but have been sidetracked writing my own stuff so apologies! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am astounded by the detail you go into with each and every one of your releases. You have such an eclectic bunch of characters, dabbling in all sorts of genre so it amazes me when I see the amount of effort and detail you put into each and every one. You give it 110% regardless of genre. I read your comment which stated that you don't even know much about hip-hop and I honestly wouldn't have known judging from this song. Excellent work as usual and the lyrics here are top notch.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 15/04/2017(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2017 18:10:19(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Deneil: Seen your name about for a while now, fam. You always deliver whenever you pop up every so often. Think a lot of people overlook you but you got mad talent, bruv. Def wanna hear more from you. Gonna get this on 7" vinyl. It's sick, mate.

OOC: Meant to comment on this ages ago but have been sidetracked writing my own stuff so apologies! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am astounded by the detail you go into with each and every one of your releases. You have such an eclectic bunch of characters, dabbling in all sorts of genre so it amazes me when I see the amount of effort and detail you put into each and every one. You give it 110% regardless of genre. I read your comment which stated that you don't even know much about hip-hop and I honestly wouldn't have known judging from this song. Excellent work as usual and the lyrics here are top notch.

Jaymay: Thanks man, I appreciate that. I've been spending a lot of time working on this album, but I think we're coming to the end of it. So you should hear more tracks pretty soon, I'm sure of it.

OOC: Thanks, that's a high praise especially coming from yourself. But I enjoy trying to write different types of songs, whether I'm familiar with the genre or not. I've gotta say though, I've found writing rap or hip-hop lyrics (or at least my interpretation of rap/hip-hop which is probably incorrect) a lot of fun and besides the songs I write for Riot!, those types of songs have been my favorite recently. So thanks again, it means a lot to know that I'm not failing miserably with my attempts at this genre/style.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 17/04/2017(UTC)