logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2017 07:00:49(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Released: February 23rd, 2021
Recorded: 2016-2017; Home Studio
Genre: Alternative Hip Hop, Acoustic Hip Hop, Alt-R&B
Label: Tric-Jam Records, Studio60 Records, Dahlhouse Enterntainment
Producers: FancyN (exec.), DrewWB, inZane

Try Forgiveness

Try Forgiveness is the debut album from Cuban-Barbadian rapper and producer, Niña Rumillani Tarantino. Better known as Rum, the solo album comes after 8 years of releasing music as one half of the urban duo, Rum & Coke. The album features an abstract and experimental sound in comparison to Rum's debut extended play, Word of Mouth, and includes guest vocals from Andrea Khan, Drew Westbrook, Erich Hess and her partner-in-crime, Coke. Production is handled by Tarantino herself under the producing alias FancyN, alongside longtime collaborators, DrewWB and inZane.

On March 8th, 2015, Rum surprise released a 4-track mini-album, Word of Mouth. The EP was received generally well by critics and even better by the public: the extended play debuting at #1 and holding the spot for an extra week. To date, the album has sold 3 millions copies despite receiving not a spec of promotion. This project lead to the anticipation of a full length project from Rum. Despite the sudden rise of demand, Rum didn't start recording an album until almost a year later, writing and recording the first song in April of 2016. The album's process didn't pick up until late 2016 and early 2017. The last track to be recorded was recorded in May 2017, barely a month before it's release.

Initially mean to be released by Tric-Jam Records, Studio60 Records and Dahlhouse Entertainment on June 11th, 2017, the record was pushed back an extra 3 and a half years after the rapper disappeared from the public eye, her affiliated management company Dahlhouse Entertainment doing the same just a year later. Taking a hiatus for the sake of her mental health and for the birth of her son Ángelo, the album serves as a suprise release after it's long wait. The highly anticipated album stumps all expectations. With Try Forgiveness, Rum switches it up, creating an experimental album full of sung-raps, breaking the boundaries that being the rapper in Rum & Coke might've given her. She even causes critics to question what it truly means to be a Hip Hop artist in 2021, her refusal to be put in any box hoping to influence listeners to expand their minds and accept new ideas of the genre. However, reviewers are mixed on whether or not her experimentation is exactly a good thing, not sure a gloomy album like Try Forgiveness does her rapping, singing or production justice. Still, with painfully honest lyrics, Rum spills her soul with the help of somber guitars, gospel-like piano pieces and groovy mass productions that strip back her mask.

Track listing

UserPostedImage

Total length: 54:50

Background (as discussed with RapGenius)

UserPostedImage

Andrea Checks In

"So technically the first track written for this album was Andrea's interlude, Andrea Checks In. That's because it wasn't meant for this album, it was a verse meant for Better In Tongues but the song it was on never got finalized. I've had these Andrea vocals for years and I wanted to do something with it, the verse always tugged at my wig. Last minute, I cooked up this cute little beat around it and turned it into a really badass interlude. I love a good interlude. Albums without interludes aren't albums, they're jokes."

Consideration Would Kill Ya

"The first track I wrote for the album was this one. I didn't know it was going to be for the album at the time, I was having a bad day and was just really fed up with everyone, so I started writing... I think it's a bit melodramatic and was hesitant about putting it on Try Forgiveness but then I realized the whole damn album is melodramatic."

Coke Yells At Me

"This might be one of the only songs that Coke sings on without having any actual writing credits. I wrote it and was originally planning to sing it but I felt like Coke could do the vocal arrangements justice as well as relate to the lyrics. Plus, I really wanted my bitch to be apart of this album in some vein."

I Lit The World Up

"What inspired me to write this song was a really old memory that came back to me out of nowhere. I forgot why or when but I remember one day I went up in front of the entire school trying to show off my rap skills and completely bombed my freestyle. I legit got booed off the stage, like something out of a movie. I thought it was funny how I didn't care at the time and I don't know, it got me thinking bout my road to fame and shit. I Lit The World Up is the product of all that self reflection, I even gave it that gospel feel to make it sound like a testimony."

Duality Reality

"Been holding onto this one for a while even though I've been sooo tempted to release it as a single. I honestly had no idea what to do with this damn album single-wise but I was scared it'd put the wrong idea out there if it was on it's own and not in context of the album. When I wrote Duality Reality, I knew it was my best work lyrically."

Ain't That Deep

"Everyone knows this song because it's the only single I released from the album. I was gonna hold onto it but thought it'd be a cute song to just throw out there since at the time, Christmas was right around the corner. People liked it more than I expected them to and it was a hit somehow so chiiild, I guess it's on the album."

The Glow From Your Soaps

"Aikya showed me a song she wrote for me and I was like damn, I gotta write an even better song and be a good girlfriend! This is what I came up with. It's nowhere near better than anything Aikya's written about me but I kinda like it, there's just a charm to it's messiness. Of course we broke up like a month later but oh bitch, she would've been SHOOK if I dropped this one on her while we were still together!"

In My Feelings

"I wrote In My Feelings while I was at a Denny's and very much in my feelings. What more can I say? This was a turning point for the album. This was when I knew I was finally putting something together for myself. By now, I had written enough songs and this song gave me a direction.. the theme was going to be about my fucked up ways, this song made that decision for me."

I Was Playing

"Pretty sure I wrote I Was Playing the same night I wrote In My Feelings, if not pretty close around same time. I had some shit to get off my chest after these last 5 years of fame."

Don't Waste My Time

"Knowing no statement from Rum was complete without me snapping to a sick ass beat, Don't Waste My Time was soon born and wooh did I deliver! I wrote it in the studio and though it took me a while to finish, it was still technically written before a lot of the others. It sort of started off as a freestyle and then I just kept the basic structure that the beat set."

Drew Lazy As FUCK!

"I'm actually not allowed to say what this song is for and why we did it. So, um... yeah!

Sad and Soggee

"Me and Zane were in the studio and we were messing round with some beats and I don't know, the shit turned out wavy! I've loved Migos for years, I still remember where I was when I heard Hannah Montana, the OG version. Before I even knew what the song would be about, I knew I was going to name it Sad and Soggee in honor of Bad and Boujee.

Loose Change

"At this point in the album's process, I realized a lot of the songs were about other people so I wanted to make sure there were still plenty of songs about me. This one is like 2 songs in 1, I wrote the second half first and sort of built around it."

Erich Shares His Testimony

"This song has some history behind it. It was one of the first I wrote but I lost it somehow. When I lose songs, I just give up on them because fuck that. You know how hard it is to rewrite a song? Ugh. But I did it or whatever. Having Erich on the song was a last minute idea and wow, was it a good one. He sang the fuck out of that track! Yaaaas, Erich!"

Try Forgiveness

"Try Forgiveness was the last song I wrote for the album. I just needed a track to wrap everything up and tie it all together. I already knew what I was going to name the album, I purposely wanted it to serve as the title track and really clarify what the album is about. Once I finished this one, I knew I was done.

Edited by user 23 February 2021 17:02:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 11 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 17/06/2017(UTC), erich hess on 17/06/2017(UTC), freestylechamp on 17/06/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 17/06/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/06/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 17/06/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/06/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 17/06/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 18/06/2017(UTC), 2001clay on 23/02/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2017 09:57:02(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

1. Erich Shares His Testimony
Length: 4:28
Genre: Alternative Soul
Written by: Niña Rumillani Tarantino
Produced by: FancyN, DrewWB

Rum
Erich Hess

I swear you can smell it the minute you step in, desperation...sin...
It's all so present
They put their lives on standby so the speakers can make them feel low, you're entitled if you don't
No thoughts, no questions

Soak it all up like a sponge, a joke without the pun
I chose my psalm
Even traced the cracks of 2 rocks with my tongue
If you ask me, it's all the same
Sinner's crowd, glass stained

Monkey see, monkey do, monkey don't, Simon Says what he wants
We dance along blindly
We say we're here to learn how to live but we came to forget, selective of who to forgive
In the perfect world, it'd help put it all behind me

Missed the whole point, connected dots
I chose my psalm
Even tried to mask my doubts by singing along in tongues
Never makes anything better
But I still come crawling back
Sinners, unspoken cracks...
And stained glass

[mean ass guitar]

Thank you, Brother Erich, for your testimony
It'd be contradictory if I said I agree, let's just say I don't disagree
I need something to believe, a trait common among all humanity
Blame it on my being, don't you blame it on me
We're all just looking for salvation, we're all just looking for confirmation
Let's study the stars' formation, maybe they know
Why the fuck are we here? Justify my ego
It's the world wide webbing, everything's connected
Same old ladies in the front row used to crowd the dance floor, how much you betting?
Covers the same holes, just calls for different dressing
Put em on payroll just to reflect on our life lessons
I came here not to think, you got the answers? Speak!
If at least I feel better when I leave, I'll take it, one for me
All for, "once upon a time, somebody got it right"
But I'll believe when I see it with my own eyes

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 23 December 2020 11:59:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 17/06/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/06/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/06/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 17/06/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 17/06/2017(UTC), erich hess on 18/06/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2017 10:51:28(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Track: Ain't That Deep
Artist: Rum
Genre: Soul
Label: Tric-Jam, Studio60 Records
Written by: Nina "Rum" Tarantino
Produced by: DrewWB
Length: 4:00

“Ain't That Deep” is a single written and recorded by Cuban-Barbadian rapper and producer Niña "Rum" Tarantino. Rumored to be apart of a pending solo album, the track serves as Rum's first solo track in 2 years. Produced by Drew Westbrook, the song's mellow sound gives insight to Rum's views on religion, more specifically, Christianity.

Rum wrote:
Everytime you hear a song about religion, it's annoyingly passionate. Like, it doesn't matter if they'regracious or furious, the singer is just always in their feelings. I thought it'd be cool and refreshing to make a song about belief in higher powers that seemed pretty nonchalant. The beat is such a slow jam and I wanted to downplay all emotion, kind of give the song a monotonic this-is-just-another-Sunday feel.

You ever heard of the "gay agenda"? Check this, the straights are so intimidated by the LGBTQ+ community finally getting some representation that they really think there's some agenda to make all our kids gay and get rid of the REAL men! That idea no doubt stems from the minds of a lot of Christians. Growing up I'd always listen to Grandma Nita talk about how the world is full of sin and the world was tryna kill all the true believers off but if you knew Jesus, it was like having the platinum credit card with no limits and a Free membership to Costco. In this song I sort of sing to her. It took me a long time to realize how irrational that sounded, the world's way too random for someone to be keeping all these tabs on it. Naturally, I assume that no one is.

"Santa Claus is a lie told
To make the season marketable
They only care about the toys sold
No damns for the damned souls"
That's exactly what you told me
"No different from the days in Rome
Hide the truth and they'll never know"
"Want us gone want us on the street
Only way to keep the rest sleep
'Cause dead men tell no tales
And no one gets any ideas
Never goes to those who know hell
When he, the devil, goes to make a deal"
And it's telling

What you said was wrong
Don't know why it took so long
For me to see
The world just ain't that deep

"Ain't it weird, ain't it real funny?
What's the deal with that Easter Bunny?
Good Friday ain't too good
Don't know the meaning like we all should"
"Provided answers and they're still lost
Learn the science just to neglect the cross"
"Can't even pray in the schools
Mute the elders, stunt the youth
But listen child, I know what to do
Pray hard, say it's God you choose
And everything's gonna be okay
With him you'll never see a bad day"
And it's telling

What you said was wrong
Don't know why it took so long
For me to see
The world just ain't that deep

Edited by user 23 February 2021 10:08:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 17/06/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/06/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/06/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 17/06/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 17/06/2017(UTC), erich hess on 18/06/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2017 11:10:52(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

3. The Glow From Your Soaps
Length: 4:10
Genre: Indie R&B
Produced by: FancyN

Rum

(You were there for me when I got knocked down)
(Shit, I'm bout to try again)
(I don't want you to leave)
(But we both know how this is gonna end)
(Before it all goes wrong, I'ma get you right)
(Before it all goes wrong, we still got time)

Don’t like the lights off, leave the TV on and bright
It’s like I’m scared of the dark until I see you in some blue light
Gonna let you take charge and do all that freaky shit you like
My pride aside, it’s nice to have someone to talk to sometimes
You give great advice

I don’t take it though, no
‘Cause you still don’t know me well enough
No one does, no one does
Yet sometimes I think you know too much

I get you off
You turn me on
Come make me think
I’ll keep you warm
I was looking for balance
But you came around and shook that up
You’ll never be mine, and that’s why I want you so much
And you only want to know me, because I always make it tough

I don’t take this serious
For once, I know where I stand
We’ll never go far
But I’m good where I am
I'm good where I am

Underneath you, admiring the glow from your soaps
It’s like a filter, take your clothes off and put on a show
Make me feel a way I’d be too ashamed to admit
And we’ll never look at this show the same again

I don't want to call this love, I just can't
I'll find a way to fuck this up, I always do
It's fun until you have to shake it off, it's like playing in the sand
I'll find a way to fuck this up, where will that leave you?
Don't want to feel like I do but I can't help it
I'll find a way to fuck this up, I'm helpless
Keeping you here is selfish
You'll realize it soon
I don't want to call this love, I just can't
I'll find a way to fuck this up, I always do
I'll find a way to fuck this up, where will that leave you?

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 02 July 2017 02:35:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 17/06/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/06/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 17/06/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 17/06/2017(UTC), erich hess on 18/06/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2017 02:41:53(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

4. Sad and Soggee
Length: 3:51
Genre: Nu-Disco
Produced by: FancyN, inZane

Rum

(When the memories come rushing in)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try, try)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try forgiveness)
(Just try)

I could die tonight but that'd just be boring
Before you broke my fall, I could've sworn I was soaring
Nothing left to prove and yet, still so far from content
Really, I don't mind waiting 'round for it to all make sense
I chase my curiosities, it keeps my mind at ease
Bury me in loose ends, fuck a finale
Can't help but love a good mystery
Even if all they do is leave you sad and soggy

You know how I feel about waiting
When I started running my life, I think I ran out of patience
I forgot you forgot to call, this is day 10
Which one of us gon' stop playing?
Talk shit but still so bad at communicating
Sucks being a wanderer's vacation
You make my mind wonder to day's end
It's why I let you stay, knowing you'll be gone 'fore the day ends

If I'm gonna chase a grown boy, I'ma make it look sexy
Bought an overpriced bag, can't take you back, would if you let me
Messy! I got a soft spot for the hearts I can't have
My lovelife's a marathon, same old shit back to back
No new news, it's back to you, Brad!
Find a new way to hurt and think, "I'm bout to do that!"
Why else would I mistake a discrepancy for a bond?
I could understand if this was 'cause ecstasy's on the line
Don't know what any of it means, going out of my mind
I fetishize the shattered cause they reflect me on the inside
Outside can't be as fun as laying beside, you'll be back in due time
Close my eyes, if I don't wake up does it count as bedtime?

(Try forgiveness)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try, try)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try forgiveness)
(Just try)

UserPostedImage

thanks 4 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 02/07/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/07/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2017 03:16:02(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

5. Andrea Checks In
Length: 1:24
Genre: Alt-Hip Hop
Written by: Andrea Mason, Niña Rumillani Tarantino

Andrea

All night long
All night long, I could go through a whole list on what is wrong
You got no hope, you a joke, need to get your ass straight, man I could go on
But isn't it so much easier to turn up this song?
Put your new Beats on, put that hot track on, 
Max volume, block me out, anything to stop this whiny bitch goin' on
See I know you like living hard and fast
Looking fresh to death, came straight out a mag
Ain't so slow to ask for a holler when the DJ spinning his tracks
But you so quick to hide away when it's time to put you on blast
I ain't censoring myself for nobody, keep it real, it is what it is
No radio edit, no clean cut version, I gotta get right down to this bizz
Now it's time to tell a few home truths, let me say what I gotta say
You gon' fuck right off when I step to the mic, ain't gonna listen anyway
Shame that you dont know how to live
Survived another night just to ask, "what gives??"
Shame that you don't care 'cause you think no one cares
House is empty but I'm still checking in
I think you left the stove on, left yourself for cold but I can feel a fire burning strong
After so many years of being low, I'm so naive, I think you still have a chance to grow
When you hit rock bottom there's only one place left to go
Suck it up, break the mold and pick yourself off the floor
Or would you rather deteriorate?
Such a shame!

Edited by user 23 December 2020 12:18:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 02/07/2017(UTC), erich hess on 02/07/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 02/07/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/07/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2017 10:20:46(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

6. Consideration Would Kill Ya
Length: 2:55
Genre: R&B Soul

Rum

You're too invested
It only leaves you restless
You swear you never hurt but they're so damn reckless
You're the only reason they're not wrecking
But they always seem to wreck it
Too nice to mention you're crashing and burning but when you do they never hear it

So you tread lightly
For the sake of everyone else
Muffling your cries
Because you can't remind another of hell

If you weren't already dead inside
Consideration would kill ya
Imagine if you could be as selfish
If only you cared for yourself this much
I wonder who tricked you into believing you don't deserve love
Why give it away to those who'll never care enough?
They'll never care enough
Enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough

You're too inspired
You're too fucking decent
You know well positivity doesn't make peace, let's talk about the real reason
You're a pushover, you struggle with self respect
You'll argue over the smallest detail to your deathbed
But when your heart is on the line, you're silent

Treading lightly
For the sake of everyone else
Muffling your cries
Because you can't handle admitting you live in hell

If you weren't already dead inside
Consideration would kill ya
Imagine if you could be as selfish
If only you cared for yourself this much
I wonder who tricked you into believing you don't deserve love
Why give it away to those who'll never care enough?
Will you ever be enough?
No
No, noo!

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 23 December 2020 12:20:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BrownSugar on 03/07/2017(UTC), erich hess on 03/07/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 03/07/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/07/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2017 14:00:09(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

7. In My Feelings
Length: 4:17
Genre: Hip Hop Soul
Written by: Niña Rumillani Tarantino, Drew Westbrook

Rum

Today I don't really feel like rapping
But I'm not really too good at singing
At least I'm finally writing with meaning
Coming from my heart and I actually mean it
Damn right, I'm at a Denny's, and I'm in my feelings
Problem?
It's not like it matters
But I've always been focused on what matters
Soon as I get done, I sit down, smoke one and fade into the chatter
And I know it's good good when I just don't hear it
I'm tryna get the point, I'm tryna figure out what's got me so down
But I'm so used to life eating me up and spitting me back out
It's not even like I don't care now
I just don't feel it
I'm going numb, prone to dumb shit, still got a boo at home
And a best friend, and a cousin, and a whole family to call my own
Some people pray to stop their feelings

But I need to feel it (feelings)
I don't wanna feel it (feelings)
Prefer not to deal with it (feelings)
But it's not just about me anymore

Is this what they mean when they say love slows you down?
I got around to get around all the strings
Still got attached somehow and now they only see love
Instead of the monster in me
I'm yelling, "Hide your kids, hide your wives
Get out, run as fast as you can
The real me's been in hiding but she's coming back to town
Forget me before I remember who I am"

(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Feelings)

They hit me with the, "ugh Nina you're so fucking dramatic
Been so damn moody lately, if you need space, you can have it"
Almost caused a havoc
But I stopped myself
I'm fucked up in 'bout a hundred ways, the last 10 is y'all fault
I tried and tried, cussed and cried, it's so hard giving the world your all
And that wasn't even my all, that was barely 10%
Child, don't even get me started
I'm really truly proud of myself, that's what makes me so sad
Done spent all these years keeping me, now it's all 'bout to go bad
But if it means I can take off this mask
Cool
I really hate living this way, I really hate needing to live this way
But I love this life so much
I miss my last and it feels like I'm betraying everyone's trust
Doing what I want, acting like I'm putting up a fuss
Most pray to get this life thing over with

Is this what they mean when they say love slows you down?
I got around to get around all the strings
Still got attached somehow and now they only see love
Instead of the monster in me
I'm yelling, "Hide your kids, hide your wives
Get out, run as fast as you can
The real me's been in hiding but she's coming back to town
Forget me before I remember who I am"

I need to feel it (feelings)
I don't wanna feel it (feelings)
Prefer not to deal with it (feelings)
But it's not just about me anymore (feelings)
It's best if I feel it (feelings)
Gon' kinda miss the feeling (feelings)
I'm all in my feelings (feelings)
And it's not just about me anymore (feelings)

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 23 February 2021 17:26:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

erich hess on 09/07/2017(UTC), BrownSugar on 09/07/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 11/07/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/07/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#9 Posted : 10 July 2017 12:08:43(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

8. I Lit The World Up
Length: 2:02
Genre: Gospel
Produced by: FancyN, DrewWB

Rum

I lit the world up
‘Cause I could
Some say you shouldn’t run
Sometimes you should
It’ll take your mind off things

Made a mess where I won’t be long
Where they don’t know your face, you can’t go wrong

So maybe I lit the world up
‘Cause I lost grip
Don’t take it too serious
They’ll forget
The flames will burn out
Ash mistaken for dust
Almost made a memory here
But here, I never was

UserPostedImage

erich hess on 10/07/2017(UTC), BrownSugar on 10/07/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 11/07/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/07/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#10 Posted : 10 July 2017 12:42:35(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

9. Drew Lazy As FUCK!
Length: 3:21
Genre: Hip Hop
Written by: Niña Rumillani Tarantino, Drew Westbrook

Rum
Drew Westbrook

Lazy is making this song to ignore all my exes
Lazy is telling myself, "love it or hate it, you'll put up with my antics"

Lazy is having the thoughts but never accepting the challenge
Lazy is having the rope but pretending to use it for balance
If I wanted sympathy, I'd just sing me a ballad
The way I live is tried and true, any other way has got to be invalid

Singing is what I do when I run out of syllables
Where I should be pouring my heart out, I just stretch vocals

Like la-dee da-dee la-dee-da-dee-dee
Pretending I'm okay is as easy as do-re-mi

Get up the next, trade a shower for some DR.UM sweats
Watch Power from 9 to 6, spend the rest in my head
How do I sleep at night?
I don't and that's how I need it
I'm up making my millions while y'all wasting time dreaming
Am I available?
Depends on who's asking
Can't stand the niggas I used to know, hate the niggas in my tax bracket

Being a mess is my true passion, acting like a fool is what I do
You need an explanation? There's a line for that, boo
I got a heart full of apologies, should've gave it to you
When I see a real one, I don't know if I should wave or salute
I got it made like China, still Broken like Chaelin
Play The Game like Johnny, win the crown 'fore the day ends
Just to ask, "was it worth it?" Goddamn, I should've stayed in
Tried to be productive but got caught in the RAIN like Yasmine
The gag is, I'm an up and coming has been
(Oop!)
But at least my flow RAW like Monday nights on CW
We're Ed and Eddy, in need of a Double D
To talk us out of dumb shit and keep us stable like some cleats
Going Vegan tomorrow, if it ain't green then what the FUCK!

Call me what you wanna, I'ma get my whatchamacallit. Cash? Coin? Bucks?
Hot boy, clutch! Run boy, hut!

I'm a Suspicious Bitch and I'm living la vida LUXX!
Lazy is getting mad that I'm slept on because today I actually tried
I consider myself to be humble, just don't try to discredit mines
Keep my distance so I don't burn any real ties
You didn't know I was joking cause that's the punchline
I only came to do my thang and take a bow
Surprisingly one of the few to figure this shit out
I bet if I wasn't such a clown I'd be so much more famous now
Instead I'm stuck trying to prove myself with birds like Drew

Except I ain't no bird, except nobody asked you!
I said what I said, act like it wasn't for a reaction
Interaction is a past time, keeps me from thinking on my past life
Make an inch last a year's worth of light
Take a left, swerve pass right
When pigs finally start to fly, maybe they'll deliver some act right to doorstep

Was just me and Rum but all this reflection done turned it into a quartet
No one that I've fucked over can say they were misled
(Can't relate!)
It's like when I'm tryna get someone back is the only time I can concentrate
Lazy is knowing the right word is converse but choosing to say conversate
Go out my way to make two wrongs
Suddenly too tired to write my wrongs
Where did all that energy go?

Probably towards lying to myself.
erich hess on 10/07/2017(UTC), BrownSugar on 10/07/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 11/07/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/07/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#11 Posted : 03 August 2017 01:17:33(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

10. Loose Change
Length: 9:53
Genre: Alt-R&B, Electronic Hip Hop
Produced by: FancyN, inZane, DrewWB

Rum

Try, try, try, try
I attempt it just for you
Try, try, try, try
Even when I'm tempted to lose
Try, try, try, try
You deserve a better view
Try, try, try, try
But all I ever give you is loose change, I need to change
The only person who's never given up on me
Wanna be the person you wanted me to be

It was a good day
Celebrated with cuba libre
But none for you
None for—none for you
A glass to make him feel fancy
2 rocks though he prefers straight
All that just to wish he had a bottle of rum
Did you cherish my youth, knowing I wouldn't be young for long?
Trauma, his blood, my first song
Who knows where I went wrong
Hurt you by hurting me, all you ever offered was help
I'll never forgive myself

Try, try, try, try
Try, try, try, try
Try, try, try, try
Try, try, try, try

It was a good phase
I wasn't in denial just yet, but you were
Pink knockers and flowy skirts
You put it out into the universe
Just to have it all thrown up in your face
My quick paced spring days
Quickly overshadowed by my cold wintered mind
Nothing was ever the same
It all got worse over time

Try, try, try, try
Try, try, try, try
Try, try, try, try
Try, try, try, try

[Hella long instrumental break, weird but groovy as fuck]

Knew I'd be a problem before even getting to see my face
24 years in and mamá, I'm still the same
You weren't afraid, I'd be a girl and we'd let the men be men
Too bad I turned out just like them
You werent afraid, you should've been
Didn't mean to fall for the wicked, wonder what you stayed for

Change is what you came for
Loose change is all you're gonna get
Hope you weren't hoping for more
What needs to change are your expectations
I changed and picked myself up off the floor
Hit rock bottom when they get out of pocket
Some change lives on forevermore
But most of it we just end up dropping
Loose change is all I can afford

Try a little tenderness
Far from sensitive but I'm already on my last wish
Been hoping a nigga would like the top of my wishlist
The mere Audacity got your girl on Protools speechless
I tried forgiveness
But it always finds itself in my writing, I'm left to push it right back down
I need permission for when to think
Mind's asking, "is it clear now?", been on standby for years now
Sit back and watch y'all act out, wondering if it's my turn now
You dreamed I'd turn my life around

I can't afford to change, I've gotten so good at faking sane
Live out my days behind the mask, pretend that under it we're all the same
I can't afford to lose someone else and let them walk out of my life
Just because I got a little dramatic and started thinking twice
Tried but it's just so hard, I don't have patience for myself
I'm harsh, got all these standards but don't hold any when it comes to everyone else
I'm doing them a favor, can't you see?
I'm doing them a favor, what about me?

Loose change is all I can afford

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 23 February 2021 17:40:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BrownSugar on 03/08/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 03/08/2017(UTC), erich hess on 03/08/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 03/08/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 24/02/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#12 Posted : 23 February 2021 15:08:35(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

11. Coke Yells At Me
Length: 2:00
Genre: R&B Soul
Written by: Airemese "Coke" Smith

Coke

You can keep all of your sorries
You don't mean the shit you say
Tried my best to dig us out
You're too stuck on your old ways
Now I'm stuck tryna pave my own lane
From the cracks of the path I had to bribe you to take
If you got me, I’m with you for this fight
I just pray you find what you truly crave

Let’s just make ends meet
We’ve come too far for this ending
If anything takes you out, it’s gon be me
Hoes over bros, we know loyalty conquers everything
So let’s make ends meet
Won’t let nothing take us for weak
If anything takes you out, it’s gon be me
Hoes before bros, we know loyalty conquers everything
It's still you and me

Edited by user 23 February 2021 18:40:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2001clay on 23/02/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 24/02/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 24/02/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#13 Posted : 23 February 2021 15:12:11(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Album: Try Forgiveness
Song: Try Forgiveness
Track: 12
Artist: Rum
Genre: Alternative Hip Hop
Label: Tric-Jam, Studio60 Records
Produced by: FancyÑ
Length: 3:32

Try Forgiveness is the title track on Rum's debut album, Try Forgiveness. Written and produced all by herself, the title track is a three minute and thirty two seconds long Alternative Hip Hop song featuring a catchy flow rapped over bouncy acoustic guitars, tambourines and a hard-hitting beat. Revealing the album's theme in both the music and the artwork, Rum takes some slight religious undertones and puts her own greedy spin on on them. "With new money comes new rules", the rapper carols, refusing to forgive anyone but willingly putting her feelings aside as so not to jeopardize her cash flow. She compares herself to Catholic saints with plenty of satire and a lot of frustration with how forgiving she is to the people that hurt her the most. The perfect way to introduce such a bold album, the song shows many different sides to Rum, the dangerous side, the godless side, the side that's driven by money/success and the side that has a soft spot for the people who can find her blindspots.

Only thing keeping me is my ability to reason
Never said I wouldn't, just needed a good reason
Different strokes for different folks, different plays for different games
Personally, I like to keep my values vague, no black and white, just tints of gray
They forgive and forget 'cause that's what's easier on the brain
Have I ever come off as sane?
Forgive and forget, that's what they all say, the go to phrase for all tryna live the right way
But do I look like a saint?

We don't let bygones be
Wrong one on the right day
Saint Paul with the swordplay
Cut you off in a few ways
Ain't been to church since '03
Saint Rumillani with the footwork
Cold blooded with a hellish quirk
I don't feel worse, I get worse
Saint Patrick, bringing in all this green
I guess I'll try forgiveness
Before, all I had was my soul to lose
With real money comes new rules
I'm a big deal, get a clue
When I start to relapse, I get reclusive
Prone to dumb shit but I aint stupid

Only thing keeping me here is my ability to love
Act like I don't care but I care too much
All the fighting I do for the people I don't need
They never return the favor, won't have to long as I got me
You never really cared, okay damn, I got the message
Really should ask myself if it's loyalty or obsession
Hits me like gravity, dies out faster than an incomplete combustion
Always half-assed but without it, can't function (Conjuction junction what's your function?)
As always, have at it, want you to be happy
Don't be naive, I'll never be sappy (Periodically needy, ultimately too lazy)
Sense sensitivity and I start​ getting snappy
I don't ask for much, don't annoy me and you can have me (A little dramatic but nothing too crazy)
It's clear I've been running on your mind lately
Know you got someone but that chica ain't me
Don't be naive, you weren't forgiven, I just never cared
If you had just came back, I wouldn't have cared
Just forget it

We don't let bygones be

What's the point of forgiveness?
I'll never unfeel the feeling
I'll never live down my sins
When I die and go to hell, I just pray my bitches can visit
Some would kill for money, I'd keep you alive just to keep it
What comes first is my family eating
That's my weakness

We don't let bygones be

Would you try for a five?
Would you change for some change?
Let it be for the green?
Keep it cute for a blue strip?
Prone to dumb shit
But I ain't stupid
Me and the money
Perfect match, Cupid
Would you try for a five?
Would you change for some change?
Let it be for the green?
Keep it cute for a blue strip?
Prone to dumb shit
But I ain't stupid
Me and the money
Perfect match, Cupid

Edited by user 23 February 2021 15:13:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2001clay on 23/02/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 24/02/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 24/02/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#14 Posted : 23 February 2021 15:13:28(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

13. Dont Waste My Time
Genre: Hip Hop, R&B

Rum

(When I say I try...)
(I try, I try and I try)
(Why?)
Don't know how to forgive, I'm passive
I let you act up, blow it past us
Not a big deal, it's fucking massive
Just when you start to forget, I hand you reading glasses
Just in case you weren't clear on what you did
Just in case you can't see all the damage
Look at this shit

I know temporary
I know the ways of the weak and the wary
I know you probably find that shit I spew compelling
I'm helpless
Worse than the ones you've already dealt with
No trust and it's telling
I'm a non-believer
Never ran to Mary, knew I'd always leave her
I'm not fond of the shit I'm prone to do either
But if running keeps my Visa, I'm gon' speed up
"I made it" is not enough, gotta be the first one to be there

They always fall
Because I make it so easy
When you give a little less and gain the world, it's always pleasing

They treat me like a god for a reason
When I forsake them they don't come 'round for 'bout seasons
Form lines when they see me living right
You can use me but don't waste my fucking time
You can u-u-u-u-use me as you please
You doing you is always fine cause I got me
But when you use those silly lines you're just holding up the line
Even I can tell you're lying, don't waste my time
Don't waste my time
Don't waste my time

(When I say I try...)
(I try, I try and I try)
(Why?)
Don't know how to forgive, I'm passive
I let you act up, blow it past us
Not a big deal, it's fucking massive
Just when you start to forget, I hand you reading glasses
Just in case you weren't clear on what you did
Just in case you can't see all the damage
Look at this shit

They treat me like a god for a reason
When I forsake them they don't come 'round for 'bout seasons
Form lines when they see me living right
You can use me but don't waste my fucking time
You can u-u-u-u-use me as you please
You doing you is always fine cause I got me
But when you use those silly lines you're just holding up the line
Even I can tell you're lying, don't waste my time
Don't waste my time
Don't waste my time

UserPostedImage

Offline kandii  
#15 Posted : 23 February 2021 17:00:13(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

14. Duality Reality
Genre: Alternative Hip Hop, Ambient R&B
Produced by: FancyN, inZane

Rum

Look me in the face and say it
Your eyes ain't even true blue
Claimed you've made your mind, I'm gone need proof
Let me check your pulse again
I don't even care if our heart happens to be in sync
I wanna buy it but my dollar pink
You swore it on the bible but what about a whole stack?
See a kettle and I think black
I got shit to lose here
This could just be a phase for you
Shit like that could take my whole youth
It'll have me creeping round at 42
You'll be happy you never had to choose
Settled down in Malibu
Married to a real dude
He’s still not enough

I live the best of both lives
It's all about compromise
I know what makes me happy, you're undecided
You gone crave a hybrid, never gonna find it
We could paint the town a whole rainbow
I'd still have to take you home though
There's comfort in what you already know
Love's short when your money's long
For now, you're the one I want
Wish the feeling was mutual
I just wish this shit was mutual
Doo-doo-doo-dual
Muffling your moans in my pillow
Here can't nobody here you
This the life you plan to live though

To be or not
You can't just ignore the real questions
Both is not an answer
Both’s gon leave you backed up into a corner
Constantly questioned, double the lessons
Both gone drain you, leave you with two expressions
Both can't even make you cum, that's all me
Both won't even question your dichotomy
Both might not even make you happy but I hope to
Claiming I'm the one but you need two, don't lie
Both can't give you kids or the married life
Girl, both don't even wanna try
But I could buy you houses way out in Dubai
We could rise before the sunrise
Way after it sets
Watching night and day blend
Knowing no matter how beautiful
One side’s gotta win

(You want your cake)
(You want me and you want your cake)
(You need me but you want your cake)
(I make myself available)
(But I can’t stay)
(You want your cake)
(You need me but you want your cake)
(I make myself too available)

[guitar riffs fall into a euphoric beat switch]

He make me feel like I’m Donna
I Love To Love that nigga cus he speed my heart up
Ain’t see it coming, happened in a way not thought of
Now I’m running ‘cus I love making it harder
He the one that fuck me righter
Ever since we pulled each other out the dark, the day’s been brighter
Hold me down by the hips cus I’m a fighter
I push away and he push deep, toes lighter
He’s MacGyver, he can make anything happen
Awww, he could prolly make me happy
Now a bad btich really need a fix
When I come through you better not make it quick
I want the demos, album cuts and the hits
Whatever you got for sale, I want a pick
If it was up to you, you wouldn’t be here
Leave it up to me, I’ll make life fair
Block out all the noise and make it real clear:
You’re what I want

Who’d a thunk this could be our reality, reality
Switching back and forth through my duality
I think I fully, love the way you free me of all gravity
Got everybody thinking it’s insanity, that’s just they vanity
My turn to be happy, have me totally
Brutally, immorally, abnormally
You see through me like low opacity
May not know love but you still got the capacity
I give you all of me...all of me...the real me…that's all of me

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 24 February 2021 06:38:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline C4AJoh  
#16 Posted : 20 March 2021 21:11:36(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Kara: Holy fuck! It took three and a half years for this to come to fruition but honestly, it could have taken ten years for this to come to fruition and it would have still been worth the damn wait. The experimental nature of this whole thing is just incredible and influential. I feel like this can and will change the landscape of the hip-hop genre even further and as an artist that dips into that genre but finds it difficult to define what I do, this means a lot in knowing that this can be done successfully. Musically it's so risky but pays off so well, the use of traditional instrumentation as apposed to the technological tricks that can be made in the studio is refreshing from this style of music these days and lyrically you just flaw me with every metaphor and phrase and the stories within the songs, in particular "In My Feelings" drags me down and floors me every time, it's a tough listen in the best way.

I need to forget this record exists for a little while though, otherwise there ain't no way I'm releasing any of the shit I been cooking up for a while. 🙄

OOC: This is insane, it may have been split between two different time periods but it all flows as one, which is madness, definitely something I don't think I'd ever be able to do. But I must say, I've never understood how you write the lyrics that you do. They are so distinctive and unique, your mind must be a wild ride sometimes because I don't know how you can write in the ethereal way that you do. Maybe a little bit of madness and a lot of genius! Great work as always!!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
kandii on 21/03/2021(UTC)