logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2020 04:05:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8536 time(s) in 2673 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Are We One? (feat. Jay-C & Stephanie Fierce)
Artist: Kara Romero
Release Date: June 19, 2020
Length: 5:39
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay, 7” Single
Recorded: June 2020 – Basement Studios, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Genre: Rap, Hip-Hop, RnB
Label: Just Record
Writer(s): Kara Romero, Jamel Carter
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Jamel Carter, Stephanie Fierce

“Are We One?” is a collaborative song from the Spanish-American musician/rapper 'Kara Romero' featuring hip-hop artist Jay-C and pop juggernaut Stephanie Fierce, sampling her 2016 protest song “We Are One.” It's been re-worked into a 2020 version to address the global 'Black Lives Matter' movement in the wake of the brutal death of George Floyd on May 25, 2020. The original song condemned the spate of mass shootings in 2016 and was seen as a pro gun-control protest song and only featured Kara as the primary artist of the song. Following the scenes that have since played out in the media and the revolutionary nature of what followed in protests world-wide, Kara made the choice to re-work the original song and update it's lyrics to relate to the situation that we all currently find ourselves in. She is joined on the track by Stephanie Fierce who provides vocals during the songs hook and Jay-C who provides a verse later in the song addressing his own feelings of anger.

The track was re-written by Kara in the aftermath of George Floyd's death and the subsequent protests, opening with heavy drums alongside moody instrumentation as Kara delivers the opening verse which feels more like an introduction to catch people up, she raps about how nothing has really changed since the original track in 2016 and delivers lyrics about how she's not sure how much will change while the wrong people are leading the country before landing on a repetitive hook “The land of the free, feels like a prison to you and me/The land of the free/Feels like a prison to you and me.”

Stephanie Fierce arrives on the track with the songs main hook, delivered in a soulful and emotive performance as she repeats the names of past victims who have been killed needlessly at the hands of police brutality, “Are you Amadou Diallo? Are you Eric Garner? Are you Ezell Ford? Are you Tamir Rice?/Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are you George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?” is sung in a way that feels eerie, almost like a vigil.
She's followed by a brief appearance from Kara as she changes gears and sings, “Open your eyes wider when it's harder to see/Scream from your lungs/We can't breathe.” as she sings for the people that have been protesting in an attempt to bring about change.

Jay-C then delivers a rap verse which is primarily based around the anger felt at this time, “Can't stand this stress/Angry, vexed/Tryna get out the system, I ain't planned it yet.” signals his feelings immediately which only continue to grow as the rap goes on, “In the pain of this shame, now we go insane!/Fuck all these big rims and all these big ass chains!/Ignore the price, refuse the blame/Words exchange, we better stand up for change.” which has the potential to be one of the most powerful lyrics of the year so far. Rapped with aggression and passion his words feel like a call to arms as the music becomes heavier in the process. Repeated verses continue to close out the song.

The song was recorded at Basement Studios in Brooklyn, New York in June 2020 and will be released on June 19, 2020 which marks a significant day in the United States known as Liberation Day among other names, celebrating the liberation of those who had been held as slaves in the United States. The track will be released as a CD Single, Digital Download and 7” Single as well as being made available to Weekly Airplay through Just Record. All proceeds from the track will go to the 'Black Lives Matter' foundation

“Are We One? (feat. Jay-C & Stephanie Fierce)”
Written by Kara Romero and Jamel Carter

[Kara Romero]
“Alright here we go again, a song wrote in twenty-sixteen remixed
Not a lot has changed since then
We're still living in a world of prejudice and injustice
Marches on the streets have become common place these days
We can stand up and revolt
But without the right person at the top
It doesn't matter how loud we shout, this shit will never stop
The land of the free, feels like a prison to you and me
The land of the free
Feels like a prison to you and me

[Stephanie Fierce]
Are you Amadou Diallo? Are you Eric Garner? Are you Ezell Ford? Are you Tamir Rice?
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are you George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?
Are you Amadou Diallo? Are you Eric Garner? Are you Ezell Ford? Are you Tamir Rice?
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are your George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are your George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?

[Kara Romero]
Open your eyes wider when it's harder to see
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe

[Jay-C]
Can’t stand this stress,
Angry, vexed,
Tryna get out the system, I ain't planned it yet,
The roads are cold, damp and wet,
You would of thought it rained ‘ere, reindeer like Santa’s pet
I don’t wanna be stuck, on the block
Or get caught by the cops, every week we gettin' stopped
Worried if they gonna turn around and bust the glock!
Truth never heard, lips closed tight
Military state, daring you to fight
Taking life if you shed some light
Live fast, die young, ignore what’s right
This is the hand that feeds, now you bet not bite

In the pain of this shame, now we go insane!
Fuck all these big rims and all these big ass chains!
Ignore the price, refuse the blame
Words exchange, we better stand up for change
Kill the colored, they try to put out our flame
Such a shame, but now WE ready, take aim!

[Stephanie Fierce]
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are you George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?

[Kara Romero]
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe”

Credits & Personnel

CREDITS

Produced by Kara Romero, Jamel Carter and Stephanie Fierce
Engineered by Augustine Francis
Recorded at Basement Studios, Brooklyn, New York, USA

PERSONNEL

Kara Romero – vocals, lyrics, production
Jamel Carter – vocals, lyrics, production
Stephanie Fierce – vocals, production
Ignacio Santos – bass, percussion, programming, production manager
Augustine Francis – drums, engineering, mixing
Rebecca Lowell – photography, art direction
thanks 9 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 20/06/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 20/06/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 20/06/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 20/06/2020(UTC), snap_itshannah on 20/06/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 20/06/2020(UTC), erich hess on 21/06/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 22/06/2020(UTC), FiveT on 22/06/2020(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2020 04:17:23(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Stephanie Fierce: Really grateful to be a part of this song. This one hits home for me and it really brings me to tears. We are starting to see some change but we have a long way to go! Kara you are a special talent and you are the future of soul and hip hop!

OOC: Really amazing how you put all of this together, im not surprised but as always top quality work :)
thanks 2 users thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 20/06/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/06/2020(UTC)
Online 2001clay  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2020 04:20:16(UTC)
2001clay

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3544 time(s) in 1268 post(s)
Tika Mays: I'm crying because this song just touch me and i lost for words. So That was amazing song!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 2 users thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 20/06/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/06/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2020 02:06:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post

Stephanie Fierce: Really grateful to be a part of this song. This one hits home for me and it really brings me to tears. We are starting to see some change but we have a long way to go! Kara you are a special talent and you are the future of soul and hip hop!

OOC: Really amazing how you put all of this together, im not surprised but as always top quality work :)

Kara: Nah, for real it was an honor to have you be part of this track and to lend your voice to such an important matter.

OOC: Thanks, I've always liked the organisation and planning side of things on collaborative stuff. Thanks for being part of it! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
stephaniewazhere on 21/06/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2020 02:07:41(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Tika Mays: I'm crying because this song just touch me and i lost for words. So That was amazing song!

Kara: Thanks Tika, I appreciate the love. I'm glad that it has stirred some feeling, that's what we were hoping for.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 21/06/2020(UTC)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2020 04:19:52(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1322 time(s) in 637 post(s)
OOC: Awesome job on this you all! Jay-C verse is so powerful. This is so powerful.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 21/06/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 21 June 2020 23:25:17(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: TishaJackson!!!! Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Awesome job on this you all! Jay-C verse is so powerful. This is so powerful.

OOC: Thanks, I'm glad with how it turned out. Yeah, Jaime stole the show with that verse for Jay-C tbh! :)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#8 Posted : 24 June 2020 11:29:15(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: When you first contacted me about this collaboration I knew it would be amazing. The fact that you came up with such a great, empowering idea for a song is so commendable and I’m glad I jay-c is apart of this. I know it took me foooorever to write the lyrics for jay-c’s part but I feel like it was worth it. I really wanted to take time to make it into something worthwhile. Everything comes together to well here and this is a really powerful track. Glad I could be apart of this and nice work! x
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 24/06/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 24 June 2020 15:52:23(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: When you first contacted me about this collaboration I knew it would be amazing. The fact that you came up with such a great, empowering idea for a song is so commendable and I’m glad I jay-c is apart of this. I know it took me foooorever to write the lyrics for jay-c’s part but I feel like it was worth it. I really wanted to take time to make it into something worthwhile. Everything comes together to well here and this is a really powerful track. Glad I could be apart of this and nice work! x

OOC: I'm really pleased with how it came out, but you definitely added something else to it with that verse. Truly impressive, thanks again! :)
Offline BrownSugar  
#10 Posted : 30 June 2020 00:27:48(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
OOC: Wonderful work here. I wanted to do something similar but just couldn't find the words to articulate everything. I think this is a wonderful piece and great collaborative effort. Love what everyone brought to the table with this. A very poignant release. Really powerful. Great job to all involved!
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 01/07/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 02 July 2020 04:43:48(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Wonderful work here. I wanted to do something similar but just couldn't find the words to articulate everything. I think this is a wonderful piece and great collaborative effort. Love what everyone brought to the table with this. A very poignant release. Really powerful. Great job to all involved!

OOC: Thanks, I'm glad that it came across as well as intended. I was happy with how it turned out. :)