logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2020 04:48:41(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “When The Fire Goes Out”
Artist: Brandon Caulfield
Album: Of Mice and Men (2020)
Release Date: July 18, 2020
Length: 4:27
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single
Recorded: Blackbird Studios, Nashville, Tennessee – April 2020
Genre: Alternative Rock, Blues, Southern Rock
Label: Southbound Records
Writer(s): B. Caulfield
Producer(s): B. Caulfield, JD Mariner

“When The Fire Goes Out” is a song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter 'Brandon Caulfield' taken from his upcoming seventh studio album “Of Mice and Me” which is set to be released this summer. The track is released as a double single alongside another from the album titled “Sunday Night Blues” and will mark the fifteenth single released from the artist since his debut back in 2011. This latest effort follows “Straight On Out” which saw Caulfield adopt a more laid back Blues and 70's Southern California influenced sound which is a vibe which continues into this latest single and if pre-album promo is to be believed will continue throughout the majority of his upcoming album. Along with the previous single, this see's Caulfield shift things a little musically from an Alternative Rock sound into a more melodic sound.

It has been stated that the new record will be based around relationships and the challenges that they bring and this latest track alongside it's sister single certainly add to that statement, with “When The Fire Goes Out” we find Caulfield singing about the aftermath of the breakdown of a relationship as the title suggests and posing questions like, “What would you do when your dreams don't come true?” and how do you learn to move and find something new or something valuable enough to take it's place. In a recent local interview, he spoke about the song and it's view of the negative side of relationships. “Contrary to popular belief, I do enjoy a positive song. I've written some in the past, even released some. But I think if you're consciously writing songs of the nature that I have been for this album, songs about the heart and relationships, you're going to find that they're not all going to be beautiful little ditties. Connecting is a magical thing, whether it's mentally or physically or both but it's never without it's difficulties. You can fall madly in love and it can be incredibly brief. It can be almost perfect and still fall to pieces right in front of you because we are humans and by that very nature, we're not perfect.
That's the sort of thought process I was in when I wrote this song, it's about acknowledging that things have come to their end and how you learn to accept and move on beyond that when it's something that was once very special.”

Written and recorded by Brandon Caulfield in April 2020 at Blackbird Studios in Nashville, Tennessee and produced by himself and first time collaborator for this album Johnny Deacon Mariner. The single will be released alongside “Sunday Night Blues” on July 18, 2020 through his own record label 'Southbound Records' as a CD Single, Digital Download and 7” Single.

Song Description;

An opening finger-picked acoustic guitar intro begins, giving the song a melodic intro as the repetitive pattern continues for the opening verse while Caulfield sings softly, “Same sadness in the same old room/Old conversations and the same old blues/No ideas what else we can do/When the fire goes out.” which immediately sets his stall out in terms of the songs less than positive spin on a relationship highlighting the fact that they're running out of ideas on how to fix things and seemingly on the verge of accepting that things will end. This melodic acoustic intro continues but it accompanied by a blues guitar which is heard towards the end of the songs second verse while Caulfield sings softly again but with slightly more urgency, “Those sparks used to flicker but they soon fade out/Embers have turned to ashes now/It's so sad when there's nothing left to cry about/When the fire goes out/Oh, when the fire goes out.”

As we arrive to the next verse, a soft drum beat arrives alongside the finger picked acoustic melody and the lead guitar strumming which adds a little more energy to the song as the pace picks up slightly, Caulfield's vocal delivery becomes slightly more powerful as he sings, “We'd always ask/What would you do when your dreams come true?/But we'd never ask/What would you do when they don't?/What would we do when this love burns out/Or this home becomes an old haunt?.” as he sings about the turmoil felt in the closing stages of a relationships breakdown, indicating that they regularly discussed the positive aspect of their future plans together but never gave thought to the idea that it could fail which feels very much true to life.

The music continues in a similar vein while Caulfield essentially throws in the towel on the relationship and accepts defeat, singing, ” Well I think time is too precious to keep holding on/It appears to me that all hope is gone/But we keep on singing for the sake of the song/When the fire goes out/Oh, when the fire goes out.” which indicates that he's at the point of accepting it being over, but is still very much torn, noticeably in a line from the verse using a song as a metaphor, stating that even though it hurts to keep singing a song that carries so much emotional weight to it, they find they both continue to sing because of how beautiful the song is to them.
He then delivers one final verse, “You say that you're afraid of starting over again/Just like the fire's afraid of the rain/But we have nothing to lose and everything to gain/We'll remember what it's like to be in love/Instead of this pain.” and a final recounting of the intro for closures sake, “Same sadness in the same old room/Old conversations and the same old blues/No ideas of what else we can do/When the fire goes out/When the fire goes out/Oh, when the fire goes out/When the fire goes out”

“When The Fire Goes Out”

“Same sadness in the same old room
Old conversations and the same old blues
No ideas what else we can do
When the fire goes out

Those sparks used to flicker but they soon fade out
Embers have turned to ashes now
It's so sad when there's nothing left to cry about
When the fire goes out
Oh, when the fire goes out

We'd always ask
What would you do when your dreams come true?
But we'd never ask
What would you do when they don't?
What would we do when this love burns out
Or this home becomes an old haunt?

Well I think time is too precious to keep holding on
It appears to me that all hope is gone
But we keep on singing for the sake of the song
When the fire goes out

You say that you're afraid of starting over again
Just like the fire's afraid of the rain
But we have nothing to lose and everything to gain
We'll remember what it's like to be in love
Instead of this pain

Same sadness in the same old room
Old conversations and the same old blues
No ideas of what else we can do
When the fire goes out
When the fire goes out
When the fire goes out”

Credits & Personnel;

CREDITS

Produced by Brandon Caulfield & Johnny Deacon Mariner
Engineered by Frankie Dallas
Recorded at Blackbird Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

Production Manager: Adeline Mulligan
Guitar Tech: Sven Jorgensen
Instrumental Assistant: Lindsay Browning
Executive Producer: Brandon Caulfield & Adeline Mulligan

PERSONNEL

Brandon Caulfield – vocals, acoustic guitar, lyrics, production
Dylan O'Connor – lead guitar, backing vocals
Anthony Browne – drums, percussion
Sarah Jade Harrison – backing vocals

Johnny Deacon Mariner – producer
Frankie Dallas – engineer
Adeline Mulligan – production manager, executive producer
Sven Jorgensen – guitar tech
Lindsay Browning – instrumental assistant

UserPostedImage

Title: “Sunday Night Blues”
Artist: Brandon Caulfield
Album: Of Mice and Men (2020)
Release Date: July 18, 2020
Length: 4:14
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single
Recorded: Blackbird Studios, Nashville, Tennessee – June 2020
Genre: Alternative Rock, Blues, Southern Rock
Label: Southbound Records
Writer(s): B. Caulfield
Producer(s): B. Caulfield, JD Mariner

“Sunday Night Blues” is a song written by American singer-songwriter 'Brandon Caulfield', the second of a double single alongside “When The Fire Goes Out”, marking his sixteenth single released in his nine year career, and taken from his upcoming seventh studio album “Of Mice and Men”, set for release this summer. This latest single follows on with the general theme and tone that was previously announced for his album, with “Straight On Out” and “When The Fire Goes Out” both being songs about the difficulties of love. It was confirmed that Caulfield was going with a Blues and laid-back 70's California vibe and this latest effort see's Caulfield pushing the latter element to the forefront, dropping the blues lead guitar sound that was prominent on it's sister single “When The Fire Goes Out” for a combination of acoustic and slide-guitar alongside a slightly more fuller and warmer sound.

Recently discussing his latest album and going through the individual songs from the album, Caulfield had the following to say when discussing “Sunday Night Blues” as his latest release, “For me, a Sunday evening has always been a night for reflection and evenings of silent reflection can be painful depending on the situation you're currently living through. I've had those reflective evenings being positive but more times than not, those sort of evenings fill me with self-doubt and anxieties alongside the obvious loneliness that comes hand in hand with that. I look at this song as a fallout that comes to a head on a lonely Sunday evening, where poor choices are made but made for the right reasons.
An inability to sleep and the constant feeling of restlessness can be dangerous for anyone and often times we will reach for the thing that we know will cure you in that moment however briefly. We reach for the phone and try to put back together broken pieces despite all the logic and reason quietly nudging you in the back telling you this isn't smart. Sometimes your head makes the right choice, sometimes your heart just takes control. At it's core, that's very much what this song is. It feels like a different step for me, in terms of my songwriting.”

Written and recorded by Brandon Caulfield in June 2020 at Blackbird Studios in Nashville, Tennessee and produced by himself and first time collaborator for this album Johnny Deacon Mariner. The single will be released alongside “When The Fire Goes Out” on July 18, 2020 through his own record label 'Southbound Records' as a CD Single, Digital Download and 7” Single.

Song Description;

An acoustic guitar opening quickly accompanied by the sounds of a bass guitar, organ and drums give this single a fuller sound than it's partner single “When The Fire Goes Out”, with Caulfield delivering his opening lyrics in a more prominent vocal, “I've grown so tired/Of those Sunday night blues/Emotions so fragile/It's taken it's toll on me/A night so dangerous/I know it's taken it's toll on you too.” as he sings about the fragility of that common loneliness and emptiness often associated with Sunday evenings as he sings about emotions being fragile and the evening as a whole being dangerous, which we later find out that the danger lies in caving in to your loneliness and re-connecting with someone you're probably better off not re-connecting with.

As we arrive at the songs hook we're given the addition of the slide-guitar by Avery Wyatt and female backing vocals from longtime friend and collaborator Alexia Quinn whom also provides the Organ as Caulfield sings, “Sleepless nights under restless stars/With the moon laughing at me/Memories of us dancing around in my mind/And the clock reads “just go to sleep” shows a version of Caulfield's songwriting that hasn't really been shown before with it's visual imagery from an artist that has spent the entirety of his career being literal almost to a fault, he continues, “I've written the message a hundred times/I sleep better with you by my side/But my head's telling my heart not to hit send tonight.” which see's Caulfield show his vulnerability and weakness in a very modern day and common place issue.

As the music continues in full flow, not overpowering but not as vulnerable as an acoustic-led track giving the song heart alongside fight, Caulfield again delivers his lyrics with passion, ”And my heart's telling my head maybe this time we'll get it right/But I just worry this is not how you feel/I wonder if you stopped loving me.” again handing over his vulnerability and laying it out there for everyone to see as he sings of his inner-most thoughts and worries, thoughts and feelings that are about as relatable as anything he's written in his career so far, ”We were so young and full of life/Where does the time go?/If only I could take take our ending and rewrite it/I hope you know that I would/Go back on the one thing I truly loved/The thing that I fucked up.” and again the songs main theme of vulnerability comes to the forefront as he flat out concedes that the relationship is in the state it currently is because at some point he “fucked up” and essentially only has himself to blame. The song's hook returns once more before the song comes to an end with the final chords of his acoustic guitar being stuck.

“Sunday Night Blues”

“I've grown so tired
Of those Sunday night blues
Emotions so fragile
It's taken it's toll on me
A night so dangerous
I know it's taken it's toll on you too

Sleepless nights under restless stars
With the moon laughing at me
Memories of us dancing around in my mind
And the clock reads “just go to sleep”

I've written the message a hundred times
I sleep better with you by my side
But my head's telling my heart not to hit send tonight

And my heart's telling my head maybe this time we'll get it right
But I just worry this is not how you feel
I wonder if you stopped loving me

We were so young and full of life
Where does the time go?
If only I could take take our ending and rewrite it
I hope you know that I would
Go back on the one thing I truly loved
The thing that I fucked up

Sleepless nights under restless stars
With the moon laughing at me
Memories of us dancing around in my mind
And the clock reads “just go to sleep”

I've written the message a hundred times
I sleep better with you by my side
But my head's telling my heart not to hit send tonight

And my heart's telling my head maybe this time we'll get it right
But I just worry this is not how you feel
I wonder if you stopped loving me”

Credits & Personnel;

CREDITS

Produced by Brandon Caulfield & Johnny Deacon Mariner
Engineered by Frankie Dallas
Recorded at Blackbird Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

Production Manager: Adeline Mulligan
Guitar Tech: Sven Jorgensen
Instrumental Assistant: Lindsay Browning
Executive Producer: Brandon Caulfield & Adeline Mulligan

PERSONNEL

Brandon Caulfield – vocals, acoustic guitar, lyrics, production
Avery Wyatt – slide-guitar, backing vocals
Flynn McCarthy – bass guitar, backing vocals
Alexia Quinn – organ, backing vocals
Anthony Browne – drums, percussion

Johnny Deacon Mariner – producer
Frankie Dallas – engineer
Adeline Mulligan – production manager, executive producer
Sven Jorgensen – guitar tech
Lindsay Browning – instrumental assistant
thanks 10 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 17/07/2020(UTC), erich hess on 17/07/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 17/07/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 17/07/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/07/2020(UTC), snap_itshannah on 17/07/2020(UTC), Teethdevoursnake on 17/07/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/07/2020(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 19/07/2020(UTC), FiveT on 25/07/2020(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2020 08:25:45(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
Ada: These songs stab right at my heart. Thank you so much for writing and singing them.
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 18/07/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2020 21:17:45(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: snap_itshannah Go to Quoted Post
Ada: These songs stab right at my heart. Thank you so much for writing and singing them.

Brandon: Thank you! Although, I prefer the term "tug at my heart", the former suggests that my songs could be considered "a menace" and potentially "at large".

Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2020 16:26:16(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Wow, the lyrics on both of these tracks are really deep and moving. You always write such emotive lyrics with such meaning and quality. I love that you’re releasing material for Brandon again because I’ve missed him too! With that being said, this is nothing short of wonderful double song description and lyrics. You churn out quality role plays like it’s nothing and it’s always nice to read through them because you include information on the becoming of the song. Really interesting stuff. Great job as usual x
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 20/07/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2020 05:57:17(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Wow, the lyrics on both of these tracks are really deep and moving. You always write such emotive lyrics with such meaning and quality. I love that you’re releasing material for Brandon again because I’ve missed him too! With that being said, this is nothing short of wonderful double song description and lyrics. You churn out quality role plays like it’s nothing and it’s always nice to read through them because you include information on the becoming of the song. Really interesting stuff. Great job as usual x

OOC: Thanks, I'm always happiest writing for Brandon, it's as close to the real music that I enjoy the most. Although I'm pushing forward with this "new" version of Brandon lyrically where he writes songs from a more universal perspective whereas he previously sang songs that were more unique to himself. Hopefully it means that what I'm writing for him is a lot more relatable and hits home a little more. It's probably one of those subtle changes that only I'm aware of, but perhaps shows the amount of detail that goes into every little aspect whether it's noticeable or not. Glad that you found it interesting and enjoyed it in some way! :)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2020 23:09:03(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19112 time(s) in 7584 post(s)
Joshua: A 2 for 1 special by the king! Seriously love these new tracks and I'm really enjoying the shift to the more softer, melodic sounds. Not that I wasn't a huge fan before but these just hit different. The soundscape alongside the stellar lyrics and vocal deliveries just hit the nail on the head. I think "When The Fire Goes Out" is the one that REALLY does it for me. My favorite song from you this era. I can definitely relate to it for sure.

OOC: Ah, it's like the good old days of double a-side releases haha. Again, great work here as always. In awe of your writing.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 24/07/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2020 22:24:57(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Joshua: A 2 for 1 special by the king! Seriously love these new tracks and I'm really enjoying the shift to the more softer, melodic sounds. Not that I wasn't a huge fan before but these just hit different. The soundscape alongside the stellar lyrics and vocal deliveries just hit the nail on the head. I think "When The Fire Goes Out" is the one that REALLY does it for me. My favorite song from you this era. I can definitely relate to it for sure.

OOC: Ah, it's like the good old days of double a-side releases haha. Again, great work here as always. In awe of your writing.

Brandon: Thanks man, I'm always looking to advance my music further with each release and discover new ways of playing and writing. I've always been conscious of moving too far away from the sounds and styles that I've always done but I'd like to think that each release brings something slightly different to the table alongside something a little familiar too. This is probably the most commercial and universal stuff I've ever done, but I believe it's still very much true to myself.

OOC: I think it worked to be fair, I don't want to overuse it but I think I'll definitely do that again sometime. Thanks, again this sort of thing is more in my comfort zone!! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 26/07/2020(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#8 Posted : 01 August 2020 04:40:53(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Both of these are so good :O I'm not surprised but I was tired of putting the ':)' emoji, trying to switch it up a little. Anyway, yeah great lyrics. I know it doesn't really matter but since you're like one of the few, if not only, persons to not use sound alikes for your rps really, and I know a lot of people, myself included sometimes, can't seem to write without having the soundalike for a reference but I think it's even more cool that you still produce quality songs without them. It's like I can read your descriptions and play it in my head. I don't know if its the same as what you intended but it always sounds nice lol.

Anyway, great job lmao. I am sorry I rambled.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 01/08/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 02 August 2020 05:52:39(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Both of these are so good :O I'm not surprised but I was tired of putting the ':)' emoji, trying to switch it up a little. Anyway, yeah great lyrics. I know it doesn't really matter but since you're like one of the few, if not only, persons to not use sound alikes for your rps really, and I know a lot of people, myself included sometimes, can't seem to write without having the soundalike for a reference but I think it's even more cool that you still produce quality songs without them. It's like I can read your descriptions and play it in my head. I don't know if its the same as what you intended but it always sounds nice lol.

Anyway, great job lmao. I am sorry I rambled.

OOC: To be fair it is tiring smiling all the time, either in emoji form or real life haha. Thank you! I've never really used sound alike's when I'm writing the songs and the odd time I've added them to a RP it's usually a mad last minute scramble to find something that vaguely resembles the sound I had in mind when I was writing it. I never even considered that it may effect people's reading of my stuff, (THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!) but hopefully my inane incoherent ramblings help get the sound across enough. Again I never considered this, but the thought just crept into my head, I think it's pretty cool that what other people are picturing/hearing could be so completely different to what I'm picturing/hearing.

Probably if I was even half-decent at writing the thing that I was picturing/hearing and the thing that you are picturing/hearing would be almost the exact same. But there's no way of ever really knowing, which basically means this is all a never ending search for perfection that can't ever come ... I think I need some ice-cream and lie down.

But thank you! I'm glad you liked it! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 02/08/2020(UTC)