logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2021 04:05:06(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

Title: “Sunday Night Smoke Signals”
Release: April 17, 2021
Genre: Indie-Pop, Alternative Pop
Length: 4:17
Label: Studio60 Records
Producer(s): Jonas Haaland
Writer(s): Jonas Haaland, Danielle Leone-Wilde

“Sunday Night Smoke Signals” is a song by American pop duo VANDALS, the recent Studio60 Records signee’s consist of multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter Jonas Haaland and singer-songwriter Danielle Leone-Wilde. Taken as a promo single and the very first official introduction for the former New York based musicians that now find themselves based in California. It’s unknown whether this track will make the cut on their debut album or will remain as a stand-alone single but it indicates the sort of sound and lyrical content to be expected from the alternative pop duo as they make their first foray into the music industry with this debut major label release. The song was written and composed entirely by Jonas Haaland and Danielle Leone-Wilde with production handled by Jonas Haaland with his experience as a songwriter, producer and head of creative at Studio60 Records giving the duo a helping hand in the production of the track without much outside interference.

According to songwriter Danielle Leone-Wilde on a recent social media post, “This is a song about love in the social media generation and the crazy games that come with that. That feeling on a lonely Sunday night just hoping that your phone will buzz from the one that you love in that moment with those three beautiful words, ‘you still up?’. Whether you’re the one sending the message or waiting on that message. Some call it a booty call and diminish what it truly is, but from my experience it’s often too stubborn people allowing themselves to be vulnerable and taking a chance on something. Sometimes it’s leads to something more permanent within your life and sometimes it just is what it is. But the idea of the song is taken from that vulnerability aspect and I believe that the feelings expressed in the track are very much universal to a lot of people today, at least from the ages of 17 to thirty-something or even beyond.”

The track was recorded at Studio60 Recording Studios in West Hollywood, California and is set to be released on April 17, 2021 as a CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single as well as being made available to Weekly Airplay and all major streaming platforms.

Song Description

The song begins with an emotive and almost eerie piano intro alongside a very soft acoustic guitar strumming heard faintly behind it, setting the scene and giving the song an immediate thought provoking feel to it, some studio trickery included to add a dreamy sound to it almost sounding like the wind whistling in the background, setting the scene for the opening lyrics delivered by Jonas in a low almost purposefully monotone voice, “Sunday nights are dangerous when you’re twenty four/Emotions run high on emptiness and anxiety.” Which immediately set the tone for the story that’s about to unfold throughout the song.
“Fingers trembling at the smoke signals in the form of the texts that we compose/Even worse at the ones that we receive/But in those lonely hours, in our moments of complete weakness/We’re reaching out to you/And you’re reaching out back at us” as he sings about the vulnerability involved in opening yourself up to the possibility of the thing that you want most in any given moment, all delivered with the backdrop of the moving piano tones that set the scene like something out of a movie, “How we feel in the cold light of day doesn’t mean much to us right now/We just need something to take a little of the pain away/Just to take a little of the pain away” and within the first verse, it feels like a song very much tailored to the current generation of today.

With the opening verse in the rear-view mirror and the idea and theme of the song very much clear to the listener, female vocalist Danielle jumps into the track amidst the very same music structure as the opening verse, an interesting idea of them both singing on the same chords and sounds but delivering their own feelings on the same idea as Danielle tackles the more intense internal emotions within your mind and heart, in her slightly more effeminate but brooding vocal delivery, “My friends suggest that I’m foolish/My brain thinks I’m being a little fucking crazy/My heart is convinced I’m being reckless/My conscience doesn’t even seem to wanna know me” which shows the different sides of the internal battles as Jonas sang about struggling with the idea and anxiety of giving in to his emotions and being vulnerable, while Danielle sings about the battle within her own mind and conscience and the constant voicing dissuading her from the thing that she wants the most in that moment, “But this is what we do/We reach out/And we hope the outcome will be different/Why is love so fucking addictive?” which ends the second verse on a very universal question.

The music continues in the piano driven mood from the opening verses as we arrive at the pre-chorus and chorus section of the song but the tones of the piano keys feel more prominent and urgent as Jonas bellows out “If you love somebody, if you love someone/If you love somebody, if you love someone.” which leads into the songs chorus as the acoustic guitar can be heard increase in volume alongside the now fully dominant piano chords and the late arrival of a drum beat to add emphasis to the songs chorus as both voices from Jonas and Danielle come together, Jonas’s low masculine tone combining well with Danielle’s slightly more unique tones as they sing together, “Life is too short to keep playing the game/If you really want somebody/Then let them know/If it’s meant to be then it’ll be/If it’s not then it will go” which is simplistic but delivered in a way that makes it feel a little more special and fits in with the pre-build and post-build to the chorus. The post-chorus following exactly the same idea of the pre-chorus as Danielle repeats the words previously sung by Jonas, “If you love somebody, if you love someone/If you love somebody, if you love someone.” which gives the song it’s big dramatic build and execution before the music reverts back to the same piano and acoustic combination heard earlier.

A final trade-off of verses between Jonas and Danielle before the songs chorus comes back in see’s Jonas arrive at the forefront once more, singing lyrics drenched in the thoughts and anxieties of the loneliness felt while waiting around for a response or some sort of indication, “Spent too many lonely weekends laying in bed with my phone on my chest/Just hoping it’ll buzz and wake me up/Wondering who’ll blink first between the two of us” which gives the imagery needed to bring home the idea of the song in as little space as possible, an idea which continues as Danielle sings out almost the exact same lyrics over the backdrop, “Spent too many lonely weekends laying in bed with my phone by my head/Just hoping it’ll buzz and wake me up/Wondering who’ll blink first between the two of us.” and emphasizes the idea that both sides often are living in the very same moment with the very same feelings but both afraid of making that step to get what it is they’re searching for. The music rises once more with the songs pre-chorus, chorus and post-chorus playing out the rest of the song as the music softly plays out, slowly fading as the track comes to its conclusion.

“Sunday Night Smoke Signals”

Key;
Jonas Haaland – Blue
Danielle Leone-Wilde – Red
Together – Bold

“Sunday nights are dangerous when you’re twenty four
Emotions run high on emptiness and anxiety
Fingers trembling at the smoke signals in the form of the texts that we compose
Even worse at the ones that we receive
But in those lonely hours, in our moments of complete weakness
We’re reaching out to you
And you’re reaching out back at us
How we feel in the cold light of day doesn’t mean much to us right now
We just need something to take a little of the pain away
Just to take a little of the pain away

My friends suggest that I’m foolish
My brain thinks I’m being a little fucking crazy
My heart is convinced I’m being reckless
My conscience doesn’t even seem to wanna know me
But this is what we do
We reach out
And we hope the outcome will be different
Why is love so fucking addictive?

If you love somebody, if you love someone

Life is too short to keep playing the game
If you really want somebody
Then let them know
If it’s meant to be then it’ll be
If it’s not then it will go

Spent too many lonely weekends laying in bed with my phone on my chest
Just hoping it’ll buzz and wake me up
Wondering who’ll blink first between the two of us

Spent too many lonely weekends laying in bed with my phone by my head
Just hoping it’ll buzz and wake me up
Wondering who’ll blink first between the two of us

Life is too short to keep playing the game
If you really want somebody
Then let them know
If it’s meant to be then it’ll be
If it’s not then it will go

If you love somebody, if you love someone”

Credits & Personnel

CREDITS

Produced by Jonas Haaland
Engineered by Jonas Haaland
Mixed by Jonas Haaland
Recorded at Studio60 Recording Studios, West Hollywood, California, USA

PERSONNEL

Jonas Haaland – vocals, lyrics, piano, guitar, drums, composition, production, engineering, mixing
Danielle Leone-Wilde – vocals, songwriter

Sound Alike;

The Band CAMINO – “The Black and White”

thanks 8 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 18/04/2021(UTC), erich hess on 18/04/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 18/04/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 20/04/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 20/04/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/04/2021(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 23/06/2021(UTC), chaotic_princess on 25/06/2021(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2021 04:10:38(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Aubrey Cassidy: I was really impress mate i love it, i mean the song is amazing, the lyric & all i mean that is 100 out of 10 for me

OCC: Amazing job
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 18/04/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2021 14:41:27(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Ryan: This song reminds of a phrase that I tell young artists whenever they ask me for advice when it comes to songwriting; "simplicity over stupidity." You don't need to aim for these lofty metaphors to connect with the emotions of a listener. You don't need these grand soundscapes to impress your peers. The best art comes from the heart. It comes from being authentic because today's music audience is smarter than ever before and can weed through bullshit pretty quickly. If you're invested in the lyrics you're writing and music you're composing, everything else will come about naturally. You two appear to understand well. You both are not forcing a damn thing with this track. Color me impress with both of your abilities at capturing the ear of a listener. I'm looking forward to seeing what both of you do in the future.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 26/04/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2021 22:34:42(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Aubrey Cassidy: I was really impress mate i love it, i mean the song is amazing, the lyric & all i mean that is 100 out of 10 for me

OCC: Amazing job

Danielle: Thanks Aubrey, or should I say labelmate. It felt like a good track to put out there as a sort of appetiser for the type of music we'll be creating. Definitely appreciate the kind words and must say Indian Summer has been my jam recently! Hopefully we can hang out very soon!

OOC: Thanks!

Originally Posted by: PANIC! Go to Quoted Post
Ryan: This song reminds of a phrase that I tell young artists whenever they ask me for advice when it comes to songwriting; "simplicity over stupidity." You don't need to aim for these lofty metaphors to connect with the emotions of a listener. You don't need these grand soundscapes to impress your peers. The best art comes from the heart. It comes from being authentic because today's music audience is smarter than ever before and can weed through bullshit pretty quickly. If you're invested in the lyrics you're writing and music you're composing, everything else will come about naturally. You two appear to understand well. You both are not forcing a damn thing with this track. Color me impress with both of your abilities at capturing the ear of a listener. I'm looking forward to seeing what both of you do in the future.

Jonas: Hey man, definitely appreciate your take on the track and the wisdom provided. I've always been drawn to the idea of digging out the beauty and the feeling from everyday life, I think that's where you find the stuff that's real. That's where the emotion is, at least for me and the works that have inspired me throughout the years. Yourself included in that company among others of course. But to be able to truly say something out of a fleeting moment that others probably wouldn't even double take at, is where I'd like to find my niche as a songwriter, obviously a long way to go, I'm sure. Working alongside someone like Dani who helps pull out ideas and find their purpose certainly helps with the creative aspect too. Thanks again for the kind comments and wisdom, it's very much appreciated!

thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 09/06/2021(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2021 10:09:47(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Fangz: Love what you both brought to this record. The way your voices marry in some of the parts! Indie pop gold *chef kiss*

Linda Fea: with all of the horrible shit released in the last couple of weeks including Daniels attempt at raping, I’m glad this record exists.

ooc: One thing I admire about your RPs is how clean and presentable they look. Very editorial like aesthetic which I always appreciate from you! Aside from that love everything about it :)

Edited by user 23 June 2021 10:10:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 26/06/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2021 18:38:49(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post
Fangz: Love what you both brought to this record. The way your voices marry in some of the parts! Indie pop gold *chef kiss*

Linda Fea: with all of the horrible shit released in the last couple of weeks including Daniels attempt at raping, I’m glad this record exists.

ooc: One thing I admire about your RPs is how clean and presentable they look. Very editorial like aesthetic which I always appreciate from you! Aside from that love everything about it :)

Jonas: Thank you so much Fangz, I've always felt like myself and Danielle's voices together worked very well together. It's nice to see the positive reaction to the track, hopefully we'll have more coming soon!

Danielle: Thanks Linda, I'm not totally up with the latest music, it's not massively my sort of thing, I prefer the older stuff. But appreciate the support for our song :)

OOC: Thank you! I like to have a structure in what I do, it may come across as repetitive and boring for some, even sometimes for me too. But I always hope from a visual aspect that it's at least easily accessible to read through. :)