logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2021 17:47:11(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Rookie of the Year”
Artist: Orion
From: “Orion” (2021), “NFL Madden 22: Official Soundtrack” (2021)
Release Date: August 15, 2021
Length: 5:12
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single, Weekly Airplay
Recorded: May 2021 – Studio60, West Hollywood, California, USA
Genre(s): Rap, Hip-Hop
Label: Tric-Jam Records
Written: May 2021
Writer(s): Brayton Carter, Jadyn Ghalen, Jamal Ghalen
Producer(s): Orion, DeAndre Patton
Previous Single: “Dynasty” (June 26, 2021) [#01]

“Rookie of the Year” is the seventh single from American hip-hop group ‘Orion’ as they continue to build towards their debut album expected within the next couple of month. Although, unpredictable at this point it’s likely to be the final single from the album. Their latest offering will also be included on the soundtrack to the popular sports simulation game “NFL Madden 22: Official Soundtrack”, it’s also confirmed in an exclusive deal between the NFL and Orion that the sound will be the official anthem of the upcoming 2022 NFL season which has just moved into full swing with the 1st week of pre-season games kicking off, coinciding with the release of the track, the first of its kind as the NFL has always used instrumental music as it’s official theme. It’s likely to open doors for artists to sign similar deals with the NFL in the future as ‘Orion’ have the next years covered but beyond that, it’s likely that the huge corporation will want to keep things fresh with a different artist or group on board. It’s not known how much money was paid out for the deal, but due to the NFL’s status, it’s likely to be a particularly eye-watering figure.

With the release of their latest single, it follows hot on the heels of their previous effort, “Dynasty” which came out in June and was highly praised. In the aftermath of the announcement of the deal between the NFL and Orion, the group found themselves trending on twitter which led to some questioning whether regular vocal contributor ‘Marina Balan’ would be featuring on that track and get herself some of that NFL money, it was confirmed that she wouldn’t be part of the “Rookie of the Year” single but they would be collaborating on another track to be featured on the ‘Madden 22 Soundtrack’ where she would be listed as a featured artist, something that fans have been clamouring for a while. But due to her providing minimal vocals on the chorus and background vocals she was always an uncredited artist. This confirmation that the group would be giving fans what they wanted with an Orion featuring Marina Balan sent twitter into a frenzy and both #NFLOrion and #NFLMarina started trending worldwide on twitter.
During this exchange, the group found themselves in conversation with a number of people including popular influencer ‘BitchWat’ as she was the one who initially posed the question for Marina to be involved, this then led to ‘Boa’ offering ‘BitchWat’ the chance to star in the music video. Eventually this was worked out behind closed doors and the group flew the influencer out to their California base where they began working together on the idea for the music video before filming at a nightclub on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, the video was debuted on Saturday 14, August 2021 and became the most viewed video on VEVO, Apple Music Video and YouTube within that twenty-four-hour period. Of course the name value of Orion, BitchWat and the NFL combined to warrant the sort of numbers they pulled up in that period following it’s debut.

The track was written in May 2021, way before the NFL deal was even struck as it was intended to be just one of the album tracks from their debut record. As huge Football fans themselves and former high school players their love of the sport lead to them referencing various parts of that industry. It’s believed that the NFL got wind of the track and were intrigued enough to follow it up and request an exclusive preview which then led to the discussions of the deal and the song eventually being pushed as a single by the group and as the official anthem for the upcoming season. It was recorded at Studio60 Recording Studios in West Hollywood, California by the group and produced with the group alongside regular producer DeAndre Patton. It will be released as a CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single and made available to Weekly Airplay on August 15, 2021 and all streaming platforms through Tric-Jam Records.

Song Description

The track begins with an eerie electronic almost dream-wave indie-pop sound which could be likened to that of something played on a theremin which goes for around eight seconds before the beat comes in, mostly consisting of a drums and keyboards sound with the drums providing the beat and tempo and the keyboards providing the upbeat energy of the song as Bellows talks up the bands hype as he delivers his opening bars, “All the talk in the build-up revolves around us/Green arrows pointing upwards signalling our expected trajectory/The rumours indicating that we’re a definite first round pick/But we know we ain’t just settling for that shit/We’re aiming for first overall/Cause that’s where the real bag is.” which likens the hype surrounding Orion’s debut album to that of the star player of a sports draft, comparing the period before the draft where analysts suggests what order the players are likely to be chosen in, with the first overall pick being the main aim. He continues with the sports draft metaphor as to be expected throughout the entire track, but brings in more universal ideas as he continues, “They say you can fail at the shit you don’t love/So why not go all out for the shit that you want the fucking most/And the experts suggest that our stats don’t add up/But you can’t learn what we’ve got inside/From numbers on a white board/You can’t judge someone’s determination and drive/On stats written down/You gotta see us in the heart of the action/When the clocks running down/And then you’ll realize we’re in the running to take the fucking crown/Cause you already know/We run it up/And then we shut em’ down.”

The trio then mix it up as they deliver vocal harmonies, showing off their ability to sing together when needed as they make it clear that they’re aiming to put everything they have into the opportunities that have come their way on the tracks chorus with it’s general tone drenched in uplift and positivity, a life affirming we’re gonna work the hardest for the thing that we want the most, something likely to be relatable to the mass audience, “You know this is all I’ve got/And I’ve worked my whole damn life for this/Ain’t just here to blend in/You know I’mma fucking go for this/And I’m aiming for the top from the very beginning/On that rookie of the year shit/You know we’re fucking built for winning/On that rookie of the year shit/You know we’re fucking built for winning.”

The song continues throughout with the same backing beat, it’s energetic and infectious continually threatening to go off but always maintaining it’s tone and avoiding the temptation for the song to become a club anthem. More suited to a gym playlist than a club banger, with it’s energetic beat just giving enough to keep you going. Circuit steps up to the plate next, the sport reference fading out a little during this verse as he makes things more personal to Orion’s very own rise, “Where we come from, that’s the shit that drives us forward/Underestimating and overachieving/You should all already fucking know that/Made it to New York on our own dime already running up our road miles/They say if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.” putting reference to their own upbringing which wasn’t full of luxuries as their single mother worked many jobs in order to raise them right as well as their own journey which briefly took them to New York, working in nightclubs and dancehalls.
He continues over the unwavering beat, “But when Hollywood comes calling/With an open suitcase and all the doors flung open/You know we’re gonna take it/Cause that’s where the real bag is/They say you can fail at the shit you don’t love/So why not go all out for the shit that you want the fucking most/Label execs, suits, checks and private jets/It’s a world away from where we come from/But we know we’ve earnt it/From day fucking one.” now referencing the life that they’ve worked for.

The songs chorus comes in again before Boa’s turn to close out the track with the final verse, his deep and aggressive sounding style and flow working well with the tone of the verse that he delivers, “Stated this shit before, already staked our claim/We ain’t just passing by/We’re first ballot hall of fame/We don’t just exist/We’re here to change the fucking game.” referencing an earlier single in which they stated their expectation that by the end of their careers that they’ll be considered a first ballot hall of fame act, again bringing the sports metaphor back in full circle as it attains to the idea that they have a career so good that they find themselves put in the hall of fame the very first year they would be eligible for it, generally a first ballot hall of famer is considered the very best of the best, almost iconic status in their chosen field.
He switches that strong aggressive statement of intent with a slightly more playful ending, “So if you on that come-up, change the playbook up/And maybe try out again/You could make the team next year/With the lessons that you learn.” as if to suggest that if you’re a newcomer looking to break into the industry, maybe take notes from how they have done things so far and they’ll be better placed to succeed. Quickly followed by the songs chorus which closes out the track. Showing a slightly more assertive and self-confident side of the group that’s perhaps been shown in glimpses but not as clearly as this track.

Music Video

”Rookie of the Year”

{Bellows}
“All the talk in the build-up revolves around us
Green arrows pointing upwards signalling our expected trajectory
The rumours indicating that we’re a definite first round pick
But we know we ain’t just settling for that shit
We’re aiming for first overall
Cause that’s where the real bag is
They say you can fail at the shit you don’t love
So why not go all out for the shit that you want the fucking most
And the experts suggest that our stats don’t add up
But you can’t learn what we’ve got inside
From numbers on a white board
You can’t judge someone’s determination and drive
On stats written down
You gotta see us in the heart of the action
When the clocks running down
And then you’ll realize we’re in the running to take the fucking crown
Cause you already know
We run it up
And then we shut em’ down

You know this is all I’ve got
And I’ve worked my whole damn life for this
Ain’t just here to blend in
You know I’mma fucking go for this
And I’m aiming for the top from the very beginning
On that rookie of the year shit
You know we’re fucking built for winning

{Circuit}
Where we come from, that’s the shit that drives us forward
Underestimating and overachieving
You should all already fucking know that
Made it to New York on our own dime already running up our road miles
They say if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere
But when Hollywood comes calling
With an open suitcase and all the doors flung open
You know we’re gonna take it
Cause that’s where the real bag is
They say you can fail at the shit you don’t love
So why not go all out for the shit that you want the fucking most
Label execs, suits, checks and private jets
It’s a world away from where we come from
But we know we’ve earnt it
From day fucking one

{Boa}
Stated this shit before, already staked our claim
We ain’t just passing by
We’re first ballot hall of fame
We don’t just exist
We’re here to change the fucking game
So if you on that come-up, change the playbook up
And maybe try out again
You could make the team next year
With the lessons that you learn

You know we’re fucking built for winning”

Credits & Personnel;

CREDITS

Produced by Orion and DeAndre Patton
Engineered by DeAndre Patton
Mixed by Orion and DeAndre Patton
Recorded at Studio 60 Recording Studios, West Hollywood, California, USA

PERSONNEL

Brayton “Bellows” Carter – vocals, piano, lyrics, composition, production, mixing
Jadyn “Boa” Ghalen – vocals, lyrics, composition, production, mixing
Jamel “Circuit” Ghalen – vocals, lyrics, drum machine, composition, production, mixing, programming

DeAndre Patton – production, engineering
thanks 7 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 15/08/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 16/08/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 17/08/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 20/08/2021(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 20/08/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 21/08/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 29/08/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2021 13:12:45(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Billy: You guys continuously blow me away with each and every release. I called 'Dynasty' "epic" and I don't wish to repeat myself but fucking hell, there's no other way to describe this one as well. Stellar lyricism aside, the soundscape of this track is Godly. The eerie intro leading up to beat, the layering of those harmonies...just...wow. Said it a million times but I can't wait to hear your full album. I know it's going to be a classic and a favourite of mine for the foreseeable.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 21/08/2021(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2021 20:02:00(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Zion: You guys are one of my favorite groups to ever do it! Madden fan here so you know I’m gonna be bopping to this while I skate through them yards.

Karma: I really love the momentum this track gives me. As the song continues my adrenaline builds greater and greater! The production is insane!

ooc: Fantastic job with this! I could honestly see this being featured in a real life Madden game!
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 21/08/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2021 15:57:38(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Billy: You guys continuously blow me away with each and every release. I called 'Dynasty' "epic" and I don't wish to repeat myself but fucking hell, there's no other way to describe this one as well. Stellar lyricism aside, the soundscape of this track is Godly. The eerie intro leading up to beat, the layering of those harmonies...just...wow. Said it a million times but I can't wait to hear your full album. I know it's going to be a classic and a favourite of mine for the foreseeable.

Bellows: Thanks again man, your support is always respected. It was always gonna be a different challenge creating a song for the NFL but I think we managed to pull it off and keep our own identity through the track. It's taking a while to commit to the final pressing of the album, always searching to make it bigger and better but it's definitely on the way.
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2021 16:01:55(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post

Zion: You guys are one of my favorite groups to ever do it! Madden fan here so you know I’m gonna be bopping to this while I skate through them yards.

Karma: I really love the momentum this track gives me. As the song continues my adrenaline builds greater and greater! The production is insane!

ooc: Fantastic job with this! I could honestly see this being featured in a real life Madden game!

Circuit: Thanks man, it's a fuckin' trip to hear our track in the game. Appreciate the love. Rack em' up!

Boa: Appreciate ya, Karma. We knew the track needed to build and get people going, hyped that it does that for you. Mad love, mad respect!

OOC: Thanks, I'm happy with how it came out. It was a different challenge, but I'm happy with it overall! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
stephaniewazhere on 29/08/2021(UTC)