logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2021 05:05:22(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Single by PANIC!
from the album TBA
Title: why do the bad guys always win?
Released: September 16, 2021
Studio: Sound City (Los Angeles, California),
Genre: Synth-pop, electropop, indietronica
Length: 3:26
Label: Self-released
Songwriter(s): Geoff Hunter, Ashley Perry
Producer(s): Nick Asher, Geoff Hunter, Ashley Perry

"Why Do the Bad Guys Always Win?" (stylized in all lowercase) is a song by American rock band PANIC!, released as the lead single for the band's upcoming fourth studio album. It serves as the group's first single following the band's near ten year hiatus, regrouping in the spring of 2021, where they performed at the 8th Fan Choice Awards. The track was released on September 16, 2021, after being teased on both the band's official Instagram and on Ashley Perry's personal account in the days leading up to it.

Upon its release, "Why Do the Bad Guys Always Win?" was considered to be a major departure from the pop-punk and alt-rock sound that was mostly found on their first three albums. The song was described as synth-pop, electropop, and indietronica in press reviews, due to its heavy dependence on synths and drum machines, mixed in with their more traditional real instrumentation, featuring a distorted guitar solo towards the back-end of the track. In the song's lyrics, Perry highlights the manipulation and betrayal of a self-obsessed ex-boyfriend. It touches upon themes of sexism, toxic masculinity, fame, and serial dating. Soon following it's release, it was speculated by fans and media alike that the song was inspired by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez, who dated Perry between 2007 and 2008.

"Why Do the Bad Guys Always Win?" received polarizing reviews from critics, some calling it the perfect return, while others referred to it as an overall disappointment. While a majority of critics praised Ashley Perry's feminist-charged songwriting and earnest vocal performance, much of the divide came in the new sonic direction the trio took, many arguing that the group no longer feels like a collective force. Discussing the public discord upon its release, Billboard's Annabelle Sterling wrote "PANIC! were the antiheroes in a music era where not many acts are still standing. The trio could have chosen to bank on the nostalgia factor that their return means for many millennials whose school years they soundtracked. Instead, they opt to go all in on a brand new image that sounds very modern and that will ultimately upset some, while ushering in PANIC! to new generation."

Ashley Perry wrote:
"It was important for me to not hold back on this song. I had to write and deliver it without any self-editing. That's difficult to do because as a woman you're put under a microscope more so than your male counterparts and the judgement will come in a different manner. I'm 33, so I'm in this hyperaware phase of my life where I know what's going to happen. I know some men and even some women will listen to this song and write off because they think I come off as bitter or upset because I wasn't the endgame for this guy. When you come in already expecting that, you create this layer of yourself that is constantly fighting to reject those notions and not let the voices get to you. This song is detailing my particular experience with an ex who was caught up in his own world. We've all met a man who is a good looking smooth talker who has never been denied anything. Someone who is driven by success and sex and his own endeavors that it's not possible for him to love anyone else but himself. This is a relationship I had when I was 19 or 20 and that's why I say this song and the album it'll be featured on is not set in present day. It's a lot of stories from the past and you have to sometimes reopen the wounds so you can make sure that you properly heal in the long run."

Geoff Hunter wrote:
"When the opportunity to perform at the Fan Choice Awards this past April came up, we were all in different places. Nick [Asher] had been quarantining with his family in upstate New York. Ashley [Perry] was in Austin. I was in Los Angeles. So early on in the process of us reconnecting and making music together, we were doing everything over Zoom video calls which was challenging. "why do the bad guys always win?" was a song that Ashley already had written but we didn't compose any music for it until we all met in LA when we started doing rehearsals for the FCAs. From there it was a very quick process from beginning to end. Ashley had a clear vision of how she wanted this song to be and my job was to create a soundscape that worked without altering the lyrics. The synths and drum machines were brought in almost immediately. We wanted to create this frantic sounding track that was moody but also left enough air to breathe where Nick could still do his bass work and I could throw in some live electric guitar into and we could layer real drums along with the programmed percussions. It was a lot of fun to record because aside from a decade between recording together and reuniting after all that time, we were challenging ourselves to move away from the pop-punk realm we were in during the mid-and-late 2000s."

why do the bad guys always win?

You left us high and dry
While you went on to Hollywood living
Are there any women you wanted who you haven't slept with?
Or at least gotten some head from?
You got that charm, it's a work of art
If I had gone and tried that
I would have been called
"A whore! A slut! A bitch!"
My value in the eyes of society would've crashed down
While yours is still praised and idolized
The more hearts you break, the more number ones' you get
And let's be frank, Jack
That's what you'll take to your grave
Along with all your money

I was one of the first you played
I was so young and you were so high above me
Wearing million dollar watches and drinking top shelf liquor
You looked so cool back then, untouchable
Now I see you were only a well-spoken pretty face

Have you ever really loved anyone other than yourself?
You're self-obsessed and the act is getting boring *yawn*
Some days I still think about you
At least not as much as I used to way way back
I don't pray for your unhappiness
I only wish you would own up to your mistakes
Instead of living day by day as if we all died

But you never apologized to my face
You sent a late night text two years later
I'm sure you did it when you were drunk
But don't blame the alcohol for all your troubles
Or the lack of a father in your life
You could have been a king
Too bad you are your own worst enemy
Dreaming up new ways to runaway and find a new girl
'Cause you always gotta challenge them
You weren't cruel, just kind of an asshole
A fuckboy before fuckboy was recognized in the mainstream
Best of luck to your future wife
If you ever give in to that institution you hated

I was one of the first you played
I was so young and you were so high above me
Wearing million dollar watches and drinking top shelf liquor
You looked so cool back then, untouchable
Now I see you were only a well-spoken pretty face

Why do the bad guys always win?
(Every fairytale is a lie)
(Every teardrop is a reminder)
(Every kiss was with open eyes)
(Every calculated move you make)

---

Comparable To:
UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 17/09/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 17/09/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 17/09/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 17/09/2021(UTC), erich hess on 17/09/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/09/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 18/09/2021(UTC), kandii on 28/09/2021(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2021 06:10:49(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Tyler: I'm almost surprised people don't look at Beef like they look at rap beef. She did anything and everything besides mentions him by name, but damn. She put him on blast but people if we stop messing around with the assholes and the thots there will be less assholes and thots around.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
PANIC! on 17/09/2021(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2021 06:21:33(UTC)
2001clay

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Aubrey Cassidy: Mate, I really love the song cause we need this woman anthem song & i just gotta say that you really did this justice my friend!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
PANIC! on 17/09/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2021 05:26:48(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Billy: "I don't pray for your unhappiness/I only wish you would own up to your mistakes" - you're a bigger person than I am. DEATH to everyone who has ever pissed me off. It's fucking amazing having this band back after all this time. Last time there was a PANIC! album, I was still skipping school and a total nobody. It's kind of comforting that, after all this time, there's PANIC! music in the world again and you haven't lost your touch. This is impeccable pop music.

OOC: It's great to actually witness a real PANIC! release. Obviously because of your username and little mentions here and there, I was always aware of the band but they became dormant the year that I joined so I never actually got to really see any of their work. Excellent job on this! Love the lyrics. Grade A work as always, my friend :)

UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
PANIC! on 26/09/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2021 16:47:25(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Ashford York: I feel like I've already touched on my views of this track, but hey ho. First off, it's great to hear what a PANIC! record could potentially sound like in 2021 and I'm all for this change up in sound. As much as I loved the original angsty pop-punk incarnation of the group, it feels like a natural growth here. Delivering indie-pop synth-laden vibes while lyrically and content wise it still has that unexplainable PANIC! element to it, it may not feel exactly like home but it certainly feels like a familiar old haunt at the very least.
I'm all for this and recognize the importance of the lyrical content too, let's face it Ashley Perry came into an industry that was far less progressive as it is now, almost like she stepped into a boys club at that time, especially within that genre. Looking beyond any specific finger pointing, I will say that I'm sure there's a few other past trauma's from being a female lead in a male dominated genre that she could and perhaps will bring to light but that's for another day and time I'm sure.

I will say though, what she did just by being a rarity at that time in her position, was to inspire that next generation that came through and remove a lot of the shackles and antiquated behaviours of that period for the next generation that came through. Her influence and legacy cannot be underestimated in my view. I appreciate this song for what it is and what it stands for in very much the same way that I appreciate the artist(s) involved for what they are and what they stand for. Beyond that, it's such a polished and perfect track from top to bottom that you can't help but be drawn to it.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
PANIC! on 26/09/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2021 06:20:01(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Tyler: I'm almost surprised people don't look at Beef like they look at rap beef. She did anything and everything besides mentions him by name, but damn. She put him on blast but people if we stop messing around with the assholes and the thots there will be less assholes and thots around.

Ashley: Unfortunately, most "thots" and "assholes" tend to be very good at making you believe every word they say until their true colors show down the road.

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Aubrey Cassidy: Mate, I really love the song cause we need this woman anthem song & i just gotta say that you really did this justice my friend!

Ashley: Thank you!

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Billy: "I don't pray for your unhappiness/I only wish you would own up to your mistakes" - you're a bigger person than I am. DEATH to everyone who has ever pissed me off. It's fucking amazing having this band back after all this time. Last time there was a PANIC! album, I was still skipping school and a total nobody. It's kind of comforting that, after all this time, there's PANIC! music in the world again and you haven't lost your touch. This is impeccable pop music.

OOC: It's great to actually witness a real PANIC! release. Obviously because of your username and little mentions here and there, I was always aware of the band but they became dormant the year that I joined so I never actually got to really see any of their work. Excellent job on this! Love the lyrics. Grade A work as always, my friend :)

Ashley: I try to be levelheaded most of time. Albeit, we all have a breaking point where you just have to stand up for yourself and call someone out on their shit. I'm doing it 12 years in delay. Haha! Thank you for the kinds words, Billy! It's been a long time since we've been around, so much so that I still need to remind myself that this isn't a dream from my past.

OOC: Thanks, Sean! I always felt like I abandoned them, so the fact anyone recalls them in even the smallest form is meaningful to me. I've had it in mind to bring them back and give them one last proper run for a long time now. Hopefully the rest of what I have planned for them meets expectations too. :)

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Ashford York: I feel like I've already touched on my views of this track, but hey ho. First off, it's great to hear what a PANIC! record could potentially sound like in 2021 and I'm all for this change up in sound. As much as I loved the original angsty pop-punk incarnation of the group, it feels like a natural growth here. Delivering indie-pop synth-laden vibes while lyrically and content wise it still has that unexplainable PANIC! element to it, it may not feel exactly like home but it certainly feels like a familiar old haunt at the very least.
I'm all for this and recognize the importance of the lyrical content too, let's face it Ashley Perry came into an industry that was far less progressive as it is now, almost like she stepped into a boys club at that time, especially within that genre. Looking beyond any specific finger pointing, I will say that I'm sure there's a few other past trauma's from being a female lead in a male dominated genre that she could and perhaps will bring to light but that's for another day and time I'm sure.

I will say though, what she did just by being a rarity at that time in her position, was to inspire that next generation that came through and remove a lot of the shackles and antiquated behaviours of that period for the next generation that came through. Her influence and legacy cannot be underestimated in my view. I appreciate this song for what it is and what it stands for in very much the same way that I appreciate the artist(s) involved for what they are and what they stand for. Beyond that, it's such a polished and perfect track from top to bottom that you can't help but be drawn to it.

Ashley: Ashford, thank you so much for being one of our loudest supporters! I understand how the game works, so I knew the moment we released this song people were going to be vocal about their love or hate for the shift in sounds and the lyrical content too. I wouldn't have written a song like this 10 or 15 years ago, especially not in the conforms of pop-punk. Thank you for the rave words about me. I feel like many young women that were in similar positions as I back in the mid-2000s got lost by dwindling public interest or just through time itself. If a girl got inspired by me being on a stage at 18 or 19 years old, then I did my job.
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 09/10/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 09/10/2021(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#7 Posted : 23 October 2021 09:58:54(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
BitchWat: BITCH!!!!!!! You better fucking read him!!!! I feel this record on another fucking level!!! End that womanizer and speak your fucking truth. The way I felt after listening to this, empowered! I love the fact that this serves bad bitchery without being in your face. It’s the quality for meeeee. Honestly, I think this was a bomb ass way to reenter the industry and you made noise doing so. As a bitch who isn’t caught up with this style of music, you totally made it enjoyable. I love the message. Go off!

OOC: I really love the lyrics here. Always posting high quality RPs. Really nice to see PANIC! again after an amazing performance at the FCA. Wonderful work x
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
PANIC! on 23/10/2021(UTC)