logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2022 08:00:07(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist(s): Michelle Green
Title: Cry Right Now
Genre(s): Indie Pop, Pop, Electropop
Length: 3:56
Writer: M.Green
Producer: EaziiBoi
Label: La Familia
From The Album: TBA

Cry Right Now is a song by British singer-songwriter, Michelle Green. It serves as the lead single from her yet-to-be-titled upcoming fourth studio. The song marks Green's first release in nine years, following the 2013 ballad, "Live To Tell". The track was released on July 19th, 2022, after announcing it a week prior as part of her 28th birthday celebration. The track was written solely by Green in an attempt to return to her "roots" as a writer after her third studio album saw her collaborate with many others during the writing process. Production of "Cry Right Now" was handled by EaziiBoi, an English producer who had only worked exclusively with Norwegian singer Sonny up until that point. Lyrically, "Cry Right Now", is an ironic take on getting over the breakdown of a relationship. Michelle pokes fun at her unsuccessful dating life, comparing it to a "warped" romantic comedy film and sees her feigning happiness and a sense of closure so not to break down and cry yet again.

The song was written in December 2021 amidst the first official writing and recording sessions of her upcoming fourth studio album. During the interim between releases, Green sporadically worked on new material in the hope of either shopping for a new label of releasing independently. Nothing ever officially materialised over the years, with Michelle often scrapping recordings and debating whether or not she would even like to continue her career in music. After a lengthy break, Michelle returned to the studio with new drive and ambition. A demo recording was shopped to La Familia, a record label owned by rapper Payton. Michelle was then signed to the label in 2020, achieving her first new record deal in almost a decade. From then on, Green officially began work on her fourth album. The creation of "Cry Right Now" was born from the introspective reflecting that Green was doing throughout the process of the record. Wanting to return to her roots for the new album, Michelle focused on her personal life and pulled from her own past. "Cry Right Now" nods to Green's string of high profile relationships and their ultimate failures. Although names aren't explicitly mentioned, the line; "My weekend was all topsy-turvy" has led many to believe it is a reference to Riley Hamilton of Weekend, whom Michelle has a son with.

Production wise, "Cry Right Now" is an upbeat indie-pop song with elements of synthpop and dance music intertwining. Many critics have cited it as a "return to form" while others have dubbed the sonics as a "natural progression" in Green's music. After a lengthy break from the industry and having released both indie and mainstream sounding pop records in the past, Michelle made a conscious decision to seek out productions that "marry" all of her previous efforts and create something new with the hope of not isolating fans of any of her older albums. "Cry Right Now" is an uptempo song with "jaunty" and "lilted" vocal deliveries set against a "sparkling" synth-laden track, creating a very "light" and "playful" soundscape that juxtaposes the darker lyricism of the song. The bubbling pop beat is countered against the incorporation of electric guitars and a drumbeat, straying away from the "computerised" production that was prominent on her "Live To Tell" album.

Michelle wrote:
"It's a bit of a cliché to say that it has been an entire journey to get to this point but that is something that I can't deny. We're creeping up on ten years here. A LOT has happened during that time and the majority of it has been behind closed doors. Pretty much all of my twenties have been spent with just myself and those nearest and dearest to me. It wasn't a conscious decision to stay away for THIS long but I'm glad I've had that time to grow, reflect, live, learn and make mistakes without it all being in the public eye. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wilder at 25 than I was at 18/19. I'm thankful I got to properly experience life like a regular person without the scrutiny, without it being splashed over Culture Uncut, without someone scolding me the next morning for missing a very important meeting or recording session. I had to go and live in order to be more in touch with myself and the world and in turn, be able to write. I'm just a couple years shy of 30 and I feel as though I now have legitimate thing to say and stories to tell. I have a hunger to fully step into a new chapter of my life both personally and professionally."

"So, here we are with "Cry Right Now" in 2022. My first release in almost a decade. I'm feeling a weird mix of euphoric and being absolutely terrified thinking about the song going live. I'm not really too fussed about how it performs chart wise. I was never one for the numbers game and, let's face it, I'm a woman who's inching closer to thirty and had her pop heyday like ten years ago. I'm lucky to still have the number of fans and well-wishers that I've got left. No, what I'm apprehensive about is the fact that I haven't done this in a LONG time. Have to relearn how to be a proper artist again, really. The reaction of a release, the promo, going back out there into the public eye - that all seems a lifetime ago. Will it be different this time around? I really don't know. I'm scared but it's a good kind of scared. I'm eager, I'm anticipating and I care a lot about this music and the fans. I've spent a lot of time getting to this point. I'm so happy with the song choice, proud of the album and love the team I'm with. Everything is in order...now it's just time to get the ball rolling!"

"I went with "Cry Right Now" as the single because not only did it tick so many boxes for me, but I never second guessed it after listening back to it. I haven't had that 'Eureka!' moment in a long time. Even before being signed to La Familia, I tried to work on some music behind the scenes but it never felt right. I never had that gut feeling about anything. "Cry Right Now" gave me my first lightbulb moment in God knows how long. I knew to trust my instinct and go with it. I've recorded far more extravagant in the past, same way I've done more straightforward, mainstream songs. 'CRN' sits perfectly in all categories for me. I really got to push my pen but I also got to lean into the more playful pop side of things. I got to really express myself while also not sucking the energy out of the room because it also has a joyous flair. The track just sums up everything I wanted to get across and I also think many people will be able to relate to it. If you're not feeling the literal story of the track, I'm sure 2022 still makes you want to cry about something but we keep soldiering on. If we lay down to everything that has been thrown at us lately...Lord!"

"I hope everyone enjoys "Cry Right Now" as much as I do. It has been a mission to get to this point and I can't believe we're here. Can't believe this is only the beginning either! Eek!!"

Critical reception of "Cry Right Now" has been positive thus far with many praising the high standard after her long-awaited return. Writing for ThatMusicSite, William Farrelly dubbed the song as her "best lead single yet" before going on to describe it as "witty as it is catchy". Charlene Derrick of Stereogum lauded the song for both its production and lyrical content, calling it a "dance floor ready anthem" while also stating that the track "maintains the sad-girl lyrics that catapulted Michelle to superstardom in 2009". In The Guardian, Janet Feyre labelled it an "insatiable earworm" before crediting the track's accessible sonics, adding; "Michelle has managed to create something instantly quotable and catchy enough to no doubt go viral all over TikTok while still presenting a song that's smart, incredibly polished and of substance.". In Consequence of Sound, Alan Cragg branded 'Cry Right Now' as a "marriage of Michelle's previous sonic ventures" and commended her return to form, claiming; "without missing a beat, Michelle has returned to claim her indie pop crown. It's like she never left."

"CRY RIGHT NOW"

Lived out many lives like a back alley feline
Appears I've wasted seven out of the nine
Always a handsome figure to block out my sunshine
Caught out in the rain without any lifeline
My weekend was all topsy-turvy
Let's hope today will grant me mercy

Why did I ride so hard with an atom bomb?
Craved for kisses all laced with napalm
Laughed it off amidst the destruction
Swear it looks much easier in rom-coms
Hello, heartbreak, my old friend
Always there for me in the bitter end

It's time for the makeover montage
Don't go about trying to self-sabotage
Can't afford to mess up this mascara
A little lipstick to cleanse the aura

So tempting to burn up and burn out
Few glasses of red is sounding sublime
Man, I could really go and cry right now
But I'm afraid I just don't have the time
Not gonna cry, cry, cry, baby, over you
Hide away and lick my wounds
Though that's exactly what I wanna do

Do I get too attached when we're merely animal?
Maybe I'm supposed to suffer like a disciple?
Turn pain into art then flip it into capital?
This lack of sleep's screwing with my rationale
If it's all just a cosmic test
Think I've put my work in, now let me ascend

No, I don't want a makeover montage
Just let me skip through to the good part
When it's all singing and dancing in the third act
And they're playing the best song on the soundtrack

And the fallout still lingers
Embers raining down on this sensitive flesh
I'm still picking out the splinters
Trying to salvage a gem from the mess
But I'm not gonna cry about it
No, no matter how much you'd like it

Can Be Compared To:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 20/07/2022(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/07/2022(UTC), erich hess on 20/07/2022(UTC), PANIC! on 20/07/2022(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/07/2022(UTC), C4AJoh on 21/07/2022(UTC), kandii on 22/07/2022(UTC), freestylechamp on 25/07/2022(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 12/08/2022(UTC), Welat65 on 12/08/2022(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2022 08:05:18(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Fatima Amari: I fucking bloody hell love this song like I literally needed when I’m going out with my friends so this is summer of 22 playlist!

Occ: I like it I think this is the best one!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 20/07/2022(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2022 23:46:35(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Fatima Amari: I fucking bloody hell love this song like I literally needed when I’m going out with my friends so this is summer of 22 playlist!

Occ: I like it I think this is the best one!

Michelle: Now that's what I like to hear! No time for crying, get partying with your friends!! 💗

OOC: Thank you so much, lovely 💗💗

UserPostedImage

Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2022 03:18:42(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Mae: WHEWW This is the comeback we all needed!! Michelle oh my god this one is such a hit the melody, the lyrics, even the cover art like I'm so in love! You are so beautiful and your voice is like warm milk, so full and smooth. This is such a catchy song and I'm going to play it until I can't no more. It's gonna be all over radio too, just watch!
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/07/2022(UTC)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2022 05:18:04(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Malik Jarvez: Man you’ve been away for 9 years and you come back with a bang, you haven’t missed a beat this track is amazing, nice job cannot wait to see what else you have been cooking up

Ooc - yes to Michelle being back long overdue I’d say!
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/07/2022(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2022 07:49:15(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: I've already told you this off the forum but I am absolutely in love with this RP for multiple reasons. Not only do I hold Michelle Green close to my heart as she was one of my previous characters, but she's a true OG of the forums. You've really done an amazing job with her character development and artist growth and this song just makes it come full circle over these years. Much better than I could have done! lol. The lyrics are absolutely amazing, I love how it feels like a page out of Michelle Green's diary book. I particularly enjoy when songs feel personal to the artist as it makes it all the realistic and you hit a home run with this. On top of that, I love the sound you went for Michelle! It feels like old Michelle and new Michelle mixed in one and you did a great job of finding that middle line between her more indie records to her pop songs. I can go on and on, but I love "Cry Right Now", you went the fuck off!!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 24/07/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2022 18:22:20(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Amy Meyer: Michelle Green, now there is a familiar face! It's so wonderful to hear your voice again after all these years away, I'm sure there's a whole universe of material that you can draw from after such a long time away and this track feels so evident of that. Your voice is as powerful as always but your song writing seems to have matured so much in that time too. It's crazy to think that you were pretty much still a kid the last time we heard your voice, we were both running around this industry with all kinds of cuts and bruises on our knees and elbows xD

Honestly, I'm a sucker for a lyrically sad song with an upbeat sound, it's a fucking art and this right here is art! So good to hear your voice again on the radio, old friend. I cannot wait for the whole album, it's gonna be a rollercoaster ride, I'm sure!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 26/07/2022(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2022 12:48:02(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
Mae: WHEWW This is the comeback we all needed!! Michelle oh my god this one is such a hit the melody, the lyrics, even the cover art like I'm so in love! You are so beautiful and your voice is like warm milk, so full and smooth. This is such a catchy song and I'm going to play it until I can't no more. It's gonna be all over radio too, just watch!

Michelle: Thank you so much, Mae! You know, I've had my fair share of reviews which compare my voice to dairy products. Starting to view that as an extremely high compliment. Never knew what to make of it back in the day, hehe! Really happy you're enjoying the song, my dear. Thanks for the support!! x

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Malik Jarvez: Man you’ve been away for 9 years and you come back with a bang, you haven’t missed a beat this track is amazing, nice job cannot wait to see what else you have been cooking up

Ooc - yes to Michelle being back long overdue I’d say!

Michelle: Malik, thank you so much, angel! Glad to hear that you enjoy the song and I can't wait to share what I've been cooking up lately!

OOC: Definitely!!!!!!
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
kandii on 05/08/2022(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2022 12:56:29(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: I've already told you this off the forum but I am absolutely in love with this RP for multiple reasons. Not only do I hold Michelle Green close to my heart as she was one of my previous characters, but she's a true OG of the forums. You've really done an amazing job with her character development and artist growth and this song just makes it come full circle over these years. Much better than I could have done! lol. The lyrics are absolutely amazing, I love how it feels like a page out of Michelle Green's diary book. I particularly enjoy when songs feel personal to the artist as it makes it all the realistic and you hit a home run with this. On top of that, I love the sound you went for Michelle! It feels like old Michelle and new Michelle mixed in one and you did a great job of finding that middle line between her more indie records to her pop songs. I can go on and on, but I love "Cry Right Now", you went the fuck off!!

OOC: Thank you so much! Your support behind the scenes has been nothing short of encouraging. It has been a long time coming and you know yourself how nervous I was about this track. Not only do I love the character and had the pressure of the comeback/lead single looming over me, this was a return after NINE years. I was sweating buckets after I pressed post lmao. Your comment makes the anxiety and overthinking all worth it lmao. Wanted to give it my all and I'm happy that 'CRN' has come across as that middle ground between all of her work. That was exactly what I was trying to do. I'll be less hard on myself for the next release haha. Thank you so much for the kind words and support!

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Amy Meyer: Michelle Green, now there is a familiar face! It's so wonderful to hear your voice again after all these years away, I'm sure there's a whole universe of material that you can draw from after such a long time away and this track feels so evident of that. Your voice is as powerful as always but your song writing seems to have matured so much in that time too. It's crazy to think that you were pretty much still a kid the last time we heard your voice, we were both running around this industry with all kinds of cuts and bruises on our knees and elbows xD

Honestly, I'm a sucker for a lyrically sad song with an upbeat sound, it's a fucking art and this right here is art! So good to hear your voice again on the radio, old friend. I cannot wait for the whole album, it's gonna be a rollercoaster ride, I'm sure!

Michelle: If my eyes don't deceive me, Amy Meyer!! We're suddenly back in 2012 here! Simultaneously feels like yesterday and a lifetime ago. Feels wonderful to be back out there, Amy! You know yourself how much we've grown since back then and how different the industry is. It's a totally different ball game now but I'm slowly but surely adapting! Thank you so much for the kind words and support. You're an artist who I really admire and we've walked and performed in very similar circles over the last decade and a bit. It's wonderful we're both still here and doing our thing! Can't wait to share the album with you, Ms. Meyer. So many stories to tell!
UserPostedImage

Offline PANIC!  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2022 08:21:29(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Ryan: Has it really been 9 years? Wow! That truly makes me feel old! I remember when you opened for me on tour way back and the confidence that you ensued day in, day out as still a teenager taking on that stage. You have a gift to own a stake in this crazy world of being a singer-songwriter. 9 years later you come back and it's as if you've not left at all. The new song is fucking brilliant. Not only will it hold the audience that has been aching for you to release new music after all this time - its fun, yet thoughtful, pop sensibilities will open the world of Michelle Green to a whole new crowd. I'm both excited and genuinely happy to see you back creating music. Your voice is still a beautiful work of art. Keep 'em coming, Green!

OOC: I am so glad you opted to release this song! The lyrics are honestly some of my favorites that I've seen from you. The fact you were able to pick up a character that has been gone with no releases for nearly a decade and have it feel as if she's not missed a single beat is mind-blowing. I do look forward to seeing what you do with her moving forward. :)
UserPostedImage