logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2024 22:28:32(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8543 time(s) in 2677 post(s)
UserPostedImage

hh

Hello Cerys, welcome to the show for the very first time!

Cerys : Thank you, Cara! I'm really excited to be here.

You’re a relatively new name in the mainstream music industry it’s fair to say, how would you describe your time among the elite in the entertainment industry so far?

(Cerys leans back, a hint of amusement in her eyes as she considers Cara's question.)
Cerys: Well, it's a curious thing, this notion of being a new name in the industry. I started strumming my guitar when I was a child, formed a band when I was 19, with a blend of rock, blues, and Irish folk. I'll never forget a night in a pub, when a bloke asked us to stop playing, like "don't worry, you'be paid but stop that....no one here like your music, guys"...That's a memory that sticks.

As for being mainstream, it's never been my primary goal. I've always crafted music to build worlds, landscapes, characters - not just to win hearts. 'The Secret Cove' was an exception, though. I often said it was an album I wrote for the Bring the Heat Festival, imagining it like a collection of novels for the audience to dive into over the summer. That might've been my closest brush with mainstream. It marked a phase when maybe I sought a bit more recognition for my work. (Smirks) Funny how that works, isn't it?

Well I definitely hope that we’ve given you a warm welcome. It can be a tricky place to navigate, knowing the people to surround yourself and the people to avoid can be a little bit of a minefield. Have you had any weird encounters so far?

Cerys: Absolutely, Cara. The music industry can be a tricky place, no doubt about it. Early on, with my debut album 'Black Swan Blues', I admit I made some mistakes. I allowed the wrong people to influence the sound, and it ended up being a bit of a disaster. There was an obvious lack of maturity in this album, and it didn't represent who I truly was. This album, my first one....is my biggest regret in my musical career.

But you know what they say, out of every failure comes a lesson. It was that experience that led me to craft my second album, 'Everything is Falling Apart'. The urgency to prove myself, to show the world that I could write and work effectively, is the essence of this album. And you can feel this raw energy and nervousness in every track of that album. This album was like...an eruption. It was a turning point for me, a declaration that I was here to make music on my own terms. It was a sort of revenge towards people who can ruin your creativity.

Well you’ve certainly made an impression so far, I saw you perform at the ‘Bring the Heat Festival’ and a couple of live performances on TV too and you’re clearly a very talented artist. Who would you say are your biggest influences in the music industry right now?

Cerys: The Bring The Heat festival was an incredible experience, truly unlike anything I'd ever done before. Being on the lineup alongside amazing performers like Kara Romero, Layla, Younghood, Japanese Cartoon, The Harlots, or Camille was just surreal. We were very surprised tomto be invited. I had to create a setlist that would resonate with an audience who probably hadn't heard much of my work, which was quite the challenge. Opening the inaugural edition was a source of immense pride for me. I could not fail. We worked a lot to delivrer a cool show.

The professionalism of the artists I witnessed there was very inspiring. Camille, for instance, though in a completely different genre, commanded such attention and respect. When she was on stage, all you could do was ... listen, watch, and learn. It was an invaluable experience, to say the least.

Regarding my influences, well....I Can mention my parents. It's truly a privilege to have been raised around such a diverse range of musical influences. My parents' music collection was a treasure trove of music. Really, They have everything you can imagine: The Stones, The Doors, alternative takes of Beatles tracks, and a whole lot more, from Creedence Clearwater Revival to Captain Beefheart, Siouxsie, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, every Bowie albums, .... Classic blues too with Howling Wolf, Willie Dixon.... My father was a big fan. They also liked artists like The Fall or The Clash. Clearly, it was an incredible collection that certainly influenced my music. An entire room in our house was dedicated to listening to music, a real sanctuary.... And it provided me with an invaluable musical education. For example, one day, my mother asked us to close our eyes, and we all listenned to "Observatory Crest" by Captain Beefheart. We shared this magical moment With my brothers and sister. This moment, well....it's one of many memories I'll keep in me forever. I'm also inspired by litterature and poetry. Poetry was very present at home too.

Not a whole lot is known about you but already you stand out because of the type of music you play. There used to be a whole lot of Alternative Rock music in the industry and now it’s almost non-existent, we have The Harlots and Erich continuing to carry the torch in those punk genres but other than that it’s pretty minimal at best. Do you think you can help put Alternative Rock back into the spotlight as a genre, I definitely hope so because it’s been truly missed?

(Cerys nods thoughtfully, her eyes focused and determined.)

Cerys: "I believe alternative music holds a unique place, almost like a counterbalance to more mainstream music. It offers different perspectives, a different way of expressing oneself through music. I had the chance to see The Harlots perform at Bring the Heat festival, it was another lesson, and the audience enjoyed it! "I'm a fetich" (she briefly hums the Harlots song). Atomic War Bride and The Harlots, how can I say? When you come to see them onstage....there's always something that you did not expect. They have this thing that brings the audience to think...."I'm going to a real show!'.

Of course, I hope I could help Alternative rock to get more exposition... That's what we are trying to do with Head South Records. After the commercial success of 'The Secret Cove,' We decided (with Mark Thompson), to launch our own music label. Our goal is to champion those genres that may not always get the spotlight they deserve. Our world thrives on diversity of creative expression, and it's essential we promote these genres. They have so much to offer."

Alright, so let’s talk a little bit more about you. Tell me a little about how you grew up. You’re from Sussex, right? I’m not massively knowledgeable about the UK, what sort of place was that like?

Cerys Nyland: I had a fantastic childhood with my parents, my two brothers, and my sister. I grew up in Seaford, a coastal city in Sussex, that's in southern England. It was a pretty picturesque rural place, actually. And a great playground for the children we were. You know, there's this old tale that Seaford locals used to light fake beacons on top of the chalk cliffs to lure ships towards the shore, only to plunder their cargo. We were all a bit of a wild bunch, especially me – a real tomboy. We'd play pirates along the beach and the shores, pretending to lure ships we saw in the distance, and plunder them! All this sort of games, you know... and it was a blast most of the time. Music was always in the air at home, and so was literature and painting. It was an incredible childhood and a magical place full of folklore and tales that certainly inspired me.

t

So what eventually led you to wanting to play instruments and delve into genres like Alternative Rock and Punk music. A pretty girl like you could have so easily have just went along with convention and became a pop artist, right?

Cerys: Oh! it's kind of you to say, but I never really saw myself that way, I never felt really beautiful. I felt more like an ordinary country girl. As a teenager, I had this rebellious streak. I chopped off my hair, which my Mum absolutely loathed. She eventually gave up and let me have my own style, with a bit of a laugh. Strangely, Pop music was definitely a part of my early teenage years, especially those catchy tunes from the 80s and 90s. I remember one day I brought home a Duran Duran album, and my dad shot me this dark look, can you imagine? Duran Duran!? My father thought their sound was awful (laughing). You know, I was trying to carve my own musical path separate from my parents.

At that time, we went through...how can I say.... there darker years at home, and those light vintage pop songs provided a bit of solace, though it's bittersweet, because it marked a musical divide just when we should've been closer as a family. I think I eventually grew tired of the pop scene and sought something with a bit more edge. That's when bands like Mission of Burma, Nirvana, Pixies, The Smiths, and the like started resonating with me. It felt like finding my own voice in a world of sounds, in dark times.

So I don’t know if you’ve seen the show before, but we like to skate a little close to the edge. Talk about love lives, rumours, our weird little kinks and all that sort of shit. I know not everybody is on board with that sort of thing, but we’ll start with the easy questions, are you currently single?

Cerys Nyland: (Cerys shifts slightly in her seat, a hint of discomfort in her expression. She gazes thoughtfully at Cara before answering.) Well, Cara, I knew this was coming....hum... To answer your question, yes, I'm currently flying solo. (A wry smile plays on her lips.)

Funny story, actually. After "The Dune is the Only Witness" dropped with NingNing, I received a flood of, well, quite explicit love messages. The intriguing part was that they were mainly from women. It threw me for a loop at first, I won't lie. But temptation? Nah, not my cup of tea. (She chuckles softly, shaking her head.)

Have you met anybody in the industry yet that has caught your eye?

Cerys Nyland: Oh, you know, Cara, the industry can be a bit like a stage itself. People often play roles, and it's essential to tread carefully. What you see isn't always what you get, especially in entertainment. It can be a bit... well, let's say, different from the image they cast. To be honest, I might have difficulties to live with another artist. I've always believed there's a lot of creative energy in relationships, and sometimes, that can lead to sparks flying, both good and bad. For me, though, it might be a bit much. Two creative minds in one house? I can already imagine the battles over studio time. (Chuckles).

I’ll probably get some shit from my man for saying this, but part of me misses being single in the industry, there’s a lot of fun to be had out there. We’re notoriously a pretty open and adventurous bunch, have you had any crazy encounters yet, you don’t need to give any names?

Cerys Nyland: I've always had a bit of a contentious relationship with the term "single." I much prefer to think of myself as independent. It's like being the master in your own house, with nobody to interfere. Of course, there's a downside, not having someone to share things with, but that's where music steps in. It's been my constant companion.

As for those wild encounters you mentioned, I did have my fair share as a teenager. Back then, I was drawn to people who seemed to defy convention. But, as time passed, I realized that many of them were paradoxically conformist in their own way. There's this desire to escape reality, to stand out from the crowd, that drives them, and it's something I've come to view with a different perspective.

For me, true adventure lies in discovering new artists, delving into uncharted literature, embracing both new and old music, and losing myself in the act of creation, be it through painting or simply wandering in unfamiliar places.

There’s a lot of eligible people in this industry, I think I should show you California sometime, I feel like you could be missing out on the action over in England.

Cerys: Oh, is that an invitation? That would be a blast! We definitely have to plan it!

Well just to help out with my scouting process, are there any names that you’re currently into. I’ve got a lot of connections, I could probably hook something up for you.

Cerys chuckles, "Okay, I must admit, I hadn't considered this show to be so....matrimonial!

Well, Cara here is the shopping list: I suppose a tall, dark, handsome man with a good sense of humor, rich...of course ...no kids...of course, and a knack for housework might do the trick. Should not be always at home, but enough to take care of potential children we'd have together....And yes, perhaps someone in the dental or insurance profession could be intriguing. Thanks in avance, Cara." (Laughing).

[b]Alright, well thank you so much for coming onto the show. It’s been great getting to know you and hopefully whenever you’re around California you get in touch and I can show you this crazy world that we live in out here.

Cerys: With great pleasure, Cara and After our trip in California, come to England, we'll go together hiking in the South Downs together, I'm sure you'll like it! (Laughing)
thanks 5 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/01/2024(UTC), 2001clay on 19/01/2024(UTC), Cerys Nyland on 20/01/2024(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 20/01/2024(UTC), erich hess on 22/01/2024(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2024 03:26:24(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
Erica: is it that obvious how territorial we are over our little genre?!?

Nina: territorial or perhaps more like we're far more critically acclaimed when we have no competition,love.

Erica: and shit ...this woman really brings it. She's English,get her to stop.

Nina:...the English don't have a hive mind, love. What do you expect me to do,, exactly?

Erica: I'm embarrassed there ever was an English empire. We just allowed that shit and you guys don't even have a hive mind?! Pshhh. Not impressed.

Mariko: a musician wants to date an insurance person or a dentist?! That's pretty punk rock ....and sweetie,let me tell you something that will knock your socks off. *Laughs hysterically.* Let me play matchmaker.

Erica: ooh,i wanted.... to... do.........that! *Erica says excitedly and then slowly loses her zeal . Ikyk.*

Erich: fuck yeah, Duran Duran suck. Though if you can think of a better band to constantly play inside an 80s lotus, please share.

Ooc' it's a damn shame you weren't around with cerys when this place was really active. Your stuff is always very creative.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 22/01/2024(UTC)
Offline Cerys Nyland  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2024 05:17:31(UTC)
Cerys Nyland

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 83 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Ooc: thanks a lot, Erich! Maybe the golden age is a bit behind, but I like the activity here. I think you're all very creative too...I'm just trying to reach the level! Laugh
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked Cerys Nyland for this useful post.
erich hess on 22/01/2024(UTC), C4AJoh on 22/01/2024(UTC)