logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2015 21:25:05(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Kids”
Recorded: January 2015 - The Chapel Studios, London, UK
Released: 28 February, 2015
Length: 3:17
Genre: Indie-Rock
Label: Independent
Written by: K.Skye, K.Irvine, M.Fay
Produced by: L.Washington

“Kids” is the debut single from british indie-rock group “Oh Captain|My Captain”, consisting of lead singer and rhythm guitarist Kayleigh Skye, lead guitarist Kyle Irvine and bassist Matthew Fay the trio from Brighton spent the majority of 2014 playing in and around the UK, gaining little in the way of recognition. However at the beginning of the new year they were featured as one of the ‘Ones to Watch’ in the iconic british music magazine N.M.E and have started to see a surge in interest from music fans around the country, not overwhelmingly so, but enough to think that this could be their opportunity to break out into the british music scene. Amateur recordings of live performances from the trio on YouTube have seen a drastic increase in views, going from just over 200 up to 1,500+ views and online followers of their personal instagram and twitter accounts have seen a major increase too despite the trio very rarely using those platforms. All signs point to a potential breakthrough from the band, but establishing yourself in the music industry is not an easy thing to do.

The opportunity appears to be in their hands though, the NME article announcing the band on the UK music stage saw none other than James Urie and music industry newbie Valentina Hart give their seal of approval having heard a rough copy of the song that is set to become their debut single. Since the NME article they have been snapped up by a British entertainment management company based in London and were quickly sent into a recording studio with Lyndsey Washington, not a major name in the music world but a recording producer considered to be safe hands. It’s likely that the release of this debut single is an attempt to garner more interest around the band and perhaps launch them into the minds of record label owners around the world, the proof will come in the following weeks and months.

The track has a very electro-pop melancholy feel, the sound of keyboards combining with Kayleighs rhythm guitar sets a sombre mood for the track that is about reminiscing of days gone by and being young and in love. The vocal delivery from Kayleigh is powerful and her voice is considered somewhat husky, sounding almost like a whiskey-fuelled after effect. The lyrics are considered very simplistic, almost written like a telephone conversation and the elements of their upbringing no doubt coming into play when it comes to the inspiration behind the song. It feels like and is delivered like they are remembering times gone by and for a brand new band, they have already captured the essence of a memorable chorus, simplistic as it is, it gives it a sing-along quality with the lines, “And we’re just kids/Falling in love/We’re just kids/Falling in love/We’re just kids/Falling in love/Maybe this is enough.”

The song was written as a collaborative effort from all three members of the band and was reportedly written in the summer of 2014, it was then recorded in January 2015 at The Chapel Studios in London, England a small recording base often used for film and television scores. It was produced by Lyndsey Washingon a local music producer and is set to be distributed independently, available as a CD single and a Digital Download through iTunes, the song is also made available to airplay charts and will be available for streaming on platforms like Spotify and Deezer. It is available from Saturday 28 February, 2015.

Lyrics

“What time you coming out, mate?
We’re going down to the park
Drinking stella on the swings until the light turns to dark
You know I’ll be your alibi, tell your mum you’re knocking round at mine
Just come out tonight
You know we’ll have a good time

It wouldn’t be the same without you there
And I know you’ll have a laugh
Fuck it, if we get bored give us a signal and we’ll head back
See, I know we’re young and we don’t know shit
But fucking hell mate
I know what this is

And we’re just kids
Falling in love
We’re just kids
Falling in love
We’re just kids
Falling in love
Maybe this is enough

Mum and Dad say enjoy it while you can
Because these are the times that we’ll never get back
Say the things that you’re too afraid to say
And you’ll not regret a thing
And for the first time in my fucking life
I guess I started listening

Maybe we’re just kids
Falling in love
We’re just kids
Falling in love
We’re just kids
Falling in love
Maybe this is enough"

Personnel;

Kayleigh Skye - lead vocals, rhythm guitar, keyboards
Kyle Irvine - lead guitar, keyboards
Matthew Fay - bass guitar, keyboards
thanks 8 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 28/02/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 28/02/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 01/03/2015(UTC), kandii on 01/03/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/03/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 01/03/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 02/03/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/03/2015(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2015 22:26:53(UTC)
Welat65

Groups: Registered
Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
AliyaRose: This is such a cute but also sad song. I don't know but it really got me , I almost cried. I really love it and I think that you guys are going to be big in this business. Really big.
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 01/03/2015(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2015 14:43:41(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: I think you're secretly Peter Pan because you seem to struggle with the concept of growing up :P

Nova: What a tune, love it. I do adore the days of being a teenager in love, or at least what I thought was love. Now it's ruined because I know what the real world is.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 01/03/2015(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2015 03:32:50(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
AliyaRose: This is such a cute but also sad song. I don't know but it really got me , I almost cried. I really love it and I think that you guys are going to be big in this business. Really big.

Kyle: Thanks Aliya, we like to just write about our own experiences and if it made you feel anything while listening, well that's a great thing. As for us being big in the industry, I dunno, hopefully we'll do okay :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2015 03:44:22(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: I think you're secretly Peter Pan because you seem to struggle with the concept of growing up :P

Nova: What a tune, love it. I do adore the days of being a teenager in love, or at least what I thought was love. Now it's ruined because I know what the real world is.

OOC: What the fudge, man? Was that an insult? I was thrown off by the mention of Peter Pan hah he's my fictional hero :)

Kayleigh: Ahh, a compliment from Nova, thank you! I've heard that life get's sh*t when you get older, guess I'll find out soon :/
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 02/03/2015(UTC)