logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2015 04:27:20(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user 28 June 2015 08:04:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 15 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 11/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 11/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 11/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 11/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 11/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 11/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 11/06/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 11/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 13/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 14/06/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 14/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 18/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2015 22:12:52(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Artist: Valentina Hart
Album: Too True to Be Good
Genre: Indie pop, electronic
Label: Songs to Love and Die By
Release: June 22, 2015

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
04. I Wanted Love, Not an Experiment
05. Bruised
06. When the Silence Speaks
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse
10. Been There, Done That
11. Harlequin (The Performer)

original post

Quote:
Valentina Hart returns with her third single release, which will lead into the release of her debut album Too True to Be Good on June 22, available through Songs to Love and Die By. "Purify" follows the number one hits "Pantomime" and "Bruised", making Valentina the only female artist of 2015 to achieve two consecutive number ones on the airplay charts. The Chaos Awards nominated newcomer also kicks off her debut tour in support of her album next week, which wraps up with a show at Manhattan's iconic Bowery Ballroom in July. Hart has plans to extend the tour overseas later in the year, thanks to the incredible reception her two singles received around the world, helping Valentina to establish a small, but incredibly supportive fan base so early on in her career.

The song itself brings listeners back to the sheer energy first heard on Val's debut, with a lot more thrown into the mix. The final product equals a meaningful, incredibly memorable release from the young songstress that already shows how her talents in both singing and songwriting have improved from the months between the recording of "Pantomime" and "Purify", hinting at a bright future in music for Hart. The track is a punchy upbeat synth-pop number which features bold lyrics from the 22-year-old where she battles between her own contrasting thoughts of longing to meet someone else's standards, then admitting to herself that she's unable to be someone she's not in the track's chorus. This ends up becoming the main reason of the relationship breaking down as she later sings in the song "Cause nothing else is in sight / But your judgement / Your expectations / And your fading shadow" which hints that a large majority of the track is sung sarcastically and Val was never so willing to change for someone in the first place.

"It's a sassy, sarcastic song in a lot of ways. You hear the song from one perspective and you think it's this really weak, submissive tale of a girl who hates herself for not being everything this guy wants her to be. Then you come at it from another view and really listen to some of the other lyrics and it's me just poking fun at the situation, refusing to change and proudly dancing to the beat of my own drum. So in the end I'm just like... boy, bye," Val laughs. "I think we can all sometimes feel tainted by obsessing over our own flaws, especially when mean people say stuff about our looks or personalities, it can hurt, especially when you're young. So the way I came at the creation of the song was like, okay, I'm pretty much dirt to you. So I'll let you try to cleanse me, wash away everything you hate about me, try and make all my supposed wrongs right, I dare ya. The 'fading shadow' line is like the big secret in the song that reveals that I never allowed him to do that, cuz I rock. Happy endings are cool."

"Purify"

I'm set in stone, no, there ain't no way
Ain't no way that I could ever change
You don't like the way I'm painted
Tell me I'm ruined and tainted
Well I'm no saint, it's how I'm created
But I'll let you try to rectify me
I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me

My body, a blank canvas
Now toss me into the madness
Shame my broken laws, pick apart my flaws
Just for your applause
You claw away till I lay vulnerable and naked
Now I'm in an empty frame of self hatred
Hung up on display
To your dismay

You look at me like I'm covered in sin
Impurities crawling over my skin
Maybe I'm just a little too real
I didn't wake up like this
But I thought you knew what you were gettin' with

I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me

I let you play God and change me up once more
Into a perfect companion for a champion
I'm jumpin' up, up, up to your standards
But gravity won't pull me back to where I was
Used to be so down, down, down to earth
Now I live in your world with my head in the clouds
I see you're no angel, just a stranger
With deceiving schemes, just like a traitor

Now you look at me like I'm not good enough
Well who are you to judge?
Maybe I'm not what you want
And you're not what I need
I'm always dancing to a different beat
It's the sound of my own drum and not your song

I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me

Impossible heights that I'm never reaching
But I keep on trying like a fool
Oh how you've left me puzzled
Cause nothing else is in sight
But your judgement
Your expectations
And your fading shadow

I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 14 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 13/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 13/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 14/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 14/06/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 14/06/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 14/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 14/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 15/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 18/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2015 22:16:29(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

original post

Quote:
Valentina Hart teases upcoming debut album Too True to Be Good with instant grat track "Limit", available to download immediately for all those who have pre-ordered Val's record on iTunes.

The release of the song comes after airplay number one "Bruised", which showcased a more vulnerable, emotional side to the singer, the lyrics brutally honest and the sound delicate and dreamy. However, "Limit" takes the listener back to the styles of Valentina's debut single "Pantomime" with both hard-hitting lyrics and beat that pairs perfectly with Val's unmistakably powerful vocals which have helped the young 22-year-old to become one of this year's most promising newcomers. The song itself blends between forward-thinking indie pop and Swedish influenced synth-pop that's both weirdly melodic, yet a refreshing twist on the standard pop we've become used to hearing on the radio.

Although we're yet to hear much from Valentina, "Limit" is without a doubt Val's most impressive vocal delivery on record to date. She sounds much more expressive than debut "Pantomime" and while her vocals have a clean, untampered with sound to them like on "Bruised", her delivery gives off a certain confidence that we've been yet to hear from the Californian songstress. The chorus itself, an explosive wall of synths with an underlying, infectious bassline, features almost shouted vocals from Val and shows a slightly more experimental side to the singer. Whether radio would be willing to play the song or not is another thing, but it gives an indication that there's still a lot we're yet to learn about Valentina as an artist.

Lyrically, Valentina has commented that the album runs like a story, documenting the beginning to end of an awful relationship. As track two of Too True to Be Good, the listener can only assume "Limit" is where things begin to take a turn for the worst in the relationship with lines such as "Cause we've all got a limit / And you keep on takin' me there". The song overall largely deals with escapism, a deep longing to be elsewhere is felt at the real core of the song as Valentina uses her imagination to cope with the situation she's in. While the track doesn't show a solution to what she's dealing with, which likely comes later in the record, it shows the first signs of a relationship going off the rails and plays an important part in the album's story.

"I definitely find writing songs like 'Limit' a lot easier than stuff like 'Bruised' because it's a pretty sassy song, I kinda hope to be called queen of sass once everyone hears the whole record and really picks apart all the lyrics, cause it's some harsh stuff I'm spilling on this guy," Val laughs. "As a strong female who doesn't like to play the victim in her songs, you'll hear a lot of empowering, bold stuff on the record like this track. 'Limit' is really all about being strong enough to realise the total fucking mess you've gotten yourself into and trying to find a way to break out of that, it shows the first signs of this relationship beginning to crumble and kinda starts the story off. Sometimes you become so used to the norm that it's difficult to break out of that, so "Limit" was me addressing that and kinda using my mind for an escape from reality, rather than actually doing what I shoulda done. But it's cool, the album isn't just a total whiny bitch record about the guy, it's also about me owning up to my own mistakes and taking responsibility."

"Limit"

You fill my head with so many words, and I
Keep drifting away to a far away place
I block out the vibrations of your conundrums, and I
Keep leaving my body behind
Stood next to you, my dear
I'm still as far away as I could ever be

We're all searching for control and power
A heart of gold in your hands to hold
And it's beating louder and louder
I'm sweating from your suffocation, but I still feel so cold

We're all looking for an answer to the question
Something to put us on the right direction
But I could slip off the edge at any minute
Cause we've all got a limit
And you keep on takin' me there
And you keep on pushin' me over the edge

You keep me locked in your chamber of love
Feels more like your own insecurity
Now I'm in this predicament
It's like trying to break shackles off my wrists
I lie awake next to you, my dear
And I'm a million miles away from where we are

But don't drag me back, I like being lost
And surrounded by the fantasy in my thoughts
Oh, don't pull me down from the clouds
I like it better when I don't know my whereabouts

Oh, you can't keep me in your confinement
This imagination's my motivation
I know I'm gonna be as far away as my mind believes
And once I hit the ground running
There won't be any barriers to stop me now

We're all searching for control and power
A heart of gold in your hands to hold
And it's beating louder and louder
I'm sweating from your suffocation, but I still feel so cold

But don't drag me back, I like being lost
And surrounded by the fantasy in my thoughts
Oh, don't pull me down from the clouds
I like it better when I don't know my whereabouts

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 13 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 13/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 13/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 14/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 14/06/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 14/06/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 14/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 14/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 15/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2015 22:23:17(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

original post

Quote:
Valentina Hart is a name you'll be hearing more of in 2015 if there's any justice in the music world. Currently unsigned and "broke as a toothfairy in a house of meth addicts" in her own words, Valentina recently uploaded "Pantomime" to her Soundcloud and caught our attention. Quirky, yet irresistibly catchy, Valentina's debut is one that certainly commands your attention with its hooks and The Knife inspired production, which is currently helping it to spread like wildfire across the web.

On the Rise conducted Valentina's first ever interview with her over the phone which is set to be published next week, and the promising new songstress wasn't shy in revealing her struggle and sacrifices she's had to make to get this point. "I feel like a clown who's run away from home to join the circus sometimes. Just putting this song out on my own has taken me years and years of meeting strangers and asking for favours. I went to New York and had drinks in bars with anyone as lonely as I was, hoping we'd get a little friendly and I'd have a place to crash for the night, not for anything sexual, I assure you," Valentina confesses. "That's kinda what I've been doing since I got here, how am I not dead yet? Gosh, don't answer that. I really hope my mama doesn't read this."

"Pantomime" seems like the perfect introduction to Valentina as a person and as an artist, she's determined, feisty and theatrical, all of which comes across in her debut single. "I had this weirdo relationship with a guy, where we liked each other and dated because I think we liked the idea of it more than anything. I don't think we were ever in love, but we stayed together because it was convenient, if that makes sense. We had someone. I liked the idea of a pantomime to refer to that relationship, because in a way, we were both faking and putting on a show for each other. I dunno, average love songs aren't me. So of course when I write a love song, it's very loud and bold and dramatic, it's me having a big tantrum over an ex. I'm your average stereotypical girl in that sense, but only sometimes. I mean, I only sometimes shave my armpits and I have pet rats. Live and let live, right?"

"Pantomime"

Let's break a leg
Now the lights expose it all
Bringing out every harsh colour
There's no turning back
No running and hiding from the watchful eyes
Of our expecting crowd
We've got a show to put on
Now let's make believe until we please

Shouldn't have to keep on faking
Don't wanna keep on masquerading
These dying flames and these stupid love games
I want this road, but you want the next turning
But we just keep on reversing

I think we're a little too comfortable
In the safety of home
A little too afraid of the danger zone
This love's gone out of style
But we paint on our smiles
We don't shine like the summertime
We just put on a show like a pantomime

Let's break a leg
Disguising in our costume party
Reality hides behind a fantasy
Dressed up the truth into a fancy lie
That we can't keep covering up
So let's face facts, stop ignoring the cracks
It's all too true to be good
We're just trying to save face

Shouldn't have to keep on faking
Don't wanna keep on masquerading
These dying flames and these stupid love games
I want this road, but you want the next turning
But we just keep on reversing

In the safety of home

Panto-panto-mime, oh, why, why, why?
We gotta have all these twists and turns
Riddles and rhymes, a complicated design

(x2)
In the safety of home
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 11 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 13/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 13/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 14/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 14/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 14/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 15/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2015 08:41:52(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

"I Wanted Love, Not an Experiment" is perhaps the most experimental track on the record, both sonically and lyrically as Valentina dabbles into chillwave on the elegant song. Valentina's voice is, for the most part, incredibly raw and sounds completely untouched on most tracks on the album, which is why Val's soft, almost whispered distorted vocals come as a surprise to the listener on "I Wanted Love". While she sounds like she's floating in space and is almost lost in the track's production, it creates an atmosphere on the song that's incredibly relaxing and pleasing on the ears. Her voice isn't pushed to the front of the track and instead she gently glides along with the song's dreamy production, meshing perfectly with her gentle vocals. While it's not the first time we've heard Val in such a manner, it's certainly less common as Val's powerful, theatrical voice is put to good use on the majority of the album. But for those who prefer to hear the 22-year-old use her voice in a more restrained fashion, this song is likely to go down as a favourite.

Bringing us back to the mention of more experimental style of the track, the lyrics to "I Wanted Love, Not an Experiment" are likely to be considered some of the most interesting on the record, which is no surprise given the bold song title. Throughout the song, Valentina evaluates the situation she's in and critiques the person she's with for the way they approach their relationship, hesitant to change and blind to the evident problems between them. "While you bury your head in the sand / War is breaking out on my lands," Val sings calmly on the track's second verse, but while the song could lend itself to some feisty, strong vocals, there's never a moment in the track where Val sounds aggressive or threatening, instead choosing to show her vulnerability. This is heard in lines such as "No more dreaming in colour like I did before / Least not until I get away forevemore" where Valentina owns up to no longer being the person she was, thanks to the person she's with, longing for escape. And while we hear her sing "Good thing I'm not afraid of change" in the empowering chorus, we never seem to hear that she's found closure in the track, assuming this comes later in the album's story.

"This was the lil nightmare song on the album to write, ya know the kinda songs you revisit like a hundred times before you're happy with it? Well, if you're a songwriter that is, if not then you probably think I'm a freak with OCD. Both would be true. I got a lot of questions about the title and I wanted to wait until I answered it, so that everyone could hear it and see where I was coming from. I previously said that 'Pantomime' was all about faking to be happy in an awful relationship and this song similarly addresses that, but does it in a more honest, ballsy way. I'm basically saying, you're not what I want and I don't like being stuck in this little experiment we've fallen into, like, trying to love each other when we clearly don't. It's failed chemistry, and I was never good at science, so no wonder."

"I Wanted Love, Not an Experiment"

Once used to sleep next to expectations
Twice fooled and my tested patience
Leads us to the silence of days blurred into weeks
But eventually, one of us had to speak

Now it explodes, the seams come open
Dormant emotions now awoken
My heart in your hands which you'd so willingly break
No more hibernating, I got a chance that I had to take
There's no more hiding, and even though I'd fight it
I couldn't let you hurt me and get away with it

Cause I wanted love, not an experiment
Well I'm no therapist tracking your development
And don't you present a never ending challenge
All your meaningless words and endless baggage
But this'll never go away and it can't stay the same
Good thing I'm not afraid of change

I waited patiently, but oh, how you're a stubborn one
Think you're second to none, as good as they come
But I couldn't sit quiet with a mind full of riot
I had to break myself free, let myself go
While you bury your head in the sand
War is breaking out on my lands

But I don't fear the chaos in the atmosphere
It's all so much better now it's crystal clear
To me, but maybe it'll never be to you
You choose to believe what you wish was true
Oh, I'm not afraid to face up to the reality of it all
No more dreaming in colour like I did before
Least not until I get away forevemore

Maybe I chased after fairy tales
But you could never see the bigger picture
I just find comfort in dreaming of a little less reality
I get a little sick and tired of your normality
So I'm quick to jump ship, cause I won't go down
Another trip down our memory lane
Where my sunshine would always hide behind your rain

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 12 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 14/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 14/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 14/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 14/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 15/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2015 08:46:45(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

original post

Quote:
Valentina Hart shows off her softer, more vulnerable side on new single "Bruised", taken from her debut album Too True to Be Good, in stores June 22. The single is her second to be lifted from the album and follows the two-week chart-topping debut hit "Pantomime" which went viral for the 22-year-old Californian singer-songwriter. Since then, she's gone onto sign a record deal with Songs to Love and Die By, picked up a nomination for Best Newcomer at the upcoming Chaos Awards and featured in a high-profile interview in Chaos Magazine.

Unlike the up-front nature of "Pantomime" which confronts an unusual, unhealthy relationship, "Bruised" explores that relationship deeper and exposes the darker, rotten core of it and why it's left Valentina, as the song title reveals, bruised. Valentina's expressive, theatrical vocals that were found on "Pantomime" are reigned in for the nature of the track, instead providing an ethereal, soothing delivery over the song's stunning blend of acoustic guitar and dreamy synths that perfectly convey her emotion. It may not be as quirky or upbeat as her debut, but it certainly shows a completely different side to her as an artist and allows her lyrics and powerfully unique voice to take center stage. The track shows that there's still many sides to Valentina as an artist we're yet to see and that there's likely a lot of variety in store for listeners when her debut record finally drops this summer. "My whole album is pretty much about my relationship with one guy, which he could probably take as a compliment because he gave me so much to write about, buuut it's not really good stuff," Valentina reveals in an upcoming interview with Teen Vogue. "Too True to Be Good is about him and when I found out some harsh truths, it made me realise that the truth sucks and breaks hearts, so the saying "too good to be true" is terrible and awful and a big fat lie. I feel like the best records often have just one person in mind, because it's all raw emotion and real experiences you can put into the music."

Speaking about the song in particular, Valentina added, "It's a more vulnerable side to me unlike the first single which I wanted to show, because a lot of the record is very strong female stickin' up for herself and this one is where I really let my walls down and kinda give into what I'm feeling instead of faking a smile. He told me I was a fool for tryna do... this. That's why I talk about my wings getting clipped and the strings on my parachute getting cut, cuz it was like he was always trying to bring me down from where I wanted to be."

"Bruised"

Why'd I fall for that deceiving poker face?
The charming calls of the boy who cried wolf
I invest my all when I make no profit
And I'm pulled into your histrionics
You hit the bullseye on this easy target
Now I shelter myself from your venom
Closed up inside of my shell

You picked me up so delicately
But I knew this'd happen eventually
Fell into your lap and got caught in the trap
Now there's no goin' back
I'm bruised and abused, cut the strings on my parachute
Used and confused, you ripped me up from my roots

You picked me up like a baby
I thought you were here to save me
Rocked in your vines till you blurred the lines
Before I knew it, I ran outta time

This time, it's safety first
I won't break at your hands again
Stopped functioning in the way you're used to
Now your words lack wisdom
Pretty faces grow weary and wiser
While you stay frozen, I transcend higher
Numb to the days of your lying ways

I deserve better, yet I settle for the terror
You bring when you put me under your pressure
I just wanna go flyin' with the birds
But you clip my wings with your words
You preach to me like a lying prophet
Weighing me down with broken promises

One too many chances, now you've run out of advances
Naive ain't a good look
I put my words into practice, threw out old habits
I was just waiting for changes to happen
Now I see all you do is play the joker
While I wear and tear like a wounded solder, oh

I deserve better, yet I settle for the terror
You bring when you put me under your pressure
I just wanna go flyin' with the birds
But you clip my wings with your words
You preach to me like a lying prophet
Weighing me down with broken promises

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 13 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
erich hess on 15/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 15/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 16/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 18/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 25/06/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#7 Posted : 16 June 2015 02:56:11(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

"When the Silence Speaks" continues the more mellow sound that the record moves into, pairing perfectly with the vulnerability that previous song on the track list "Bruised" presents, as "When the Silence Speaks" conveys similar emotions of hurt and betrayal. However, unlike the ambience present on "Bruised", this track focuses more on a simplistic acoustic guitar delivery rather than blending in synths to add a more electronic vibe. It makes for by far the most simplistic production on the record and has a raw, under-produced feel to it as if it's been recorded in one take, but it only further adds to the quality of the track, creating a unique moment on the record for fans to appreciate. Overall, the simple blend of guitar and Valentina's soothing vocals gives listeners an insight into some of Val's singer-songwriter influences where listeners can truly begin to appreciate her voice and lyrics. The ending of the song features the second half of the track's chorus acoustically as the guitar fades out, Val's emotional delivery providing one of the album's best moments.

Valentina has in the past admitted "Bruised" was her hardest song to write due to her fears of being brutally honest and coming across as weak and vulnerable in her songs, so it's not too far-fetched to believe this track was also a struggle for Val. However, underneath the core of sadness and hurt that has been present in the past two tracks on the record, there's a real angry, fighting spirit buried deep in this song in particular, present especially in the lines "Forgive and forget, I don't think I have the ability / But I could hate you right back in perfect symmetry". It's a moment on the album that centres around the final moments of this relationship and deals with the inevitable break-up, focusing on Valentina's feelings towards this person as it comes to an end. Though the lyrics don't entirely focus on just one emotion, instead they convey Val's realistic feelings which come natural with any break-up as she feels torn and confused with what to feel.

"A lot of records throw all the ballads right at the end and mine is a bit of a weirdo because they're mostly right at the center of the album. I thought it was a realistic way to present how we deal with break-ups, there's the events that lead up to it, then the 'I hate the world and everything' moments where you cry and never want to leave the house, then there's the relief that soon comes where you're totally over it and feel a million times better without that person in your life. So I'm presenting that crazy emotional middle part with these few ballads. 'When the Silence Speaks' was another really honest song, just facing up to how I felt, total neglect and betrayal and feeling a million and one different things and not really knowing how to deal with those. It's the last song on the record before I see the light."

"When the Silence Speaks"

I'm breaking outta the cycle
I was stuck at the start and this time it's final
I was livin' in a world run on your time
Not this time, I take back what's mine
Forgive and forget, I don't think I have the ability
But I could hate you right back in perfect symmetry

And the colour dripped, the emotions slipped
Into this vacant hole of what we are
So long my friend, I guess this is it then
Now that you're gone again
The grey replaces all the colours
I wandered in those lonely mid-summers
Looking for someone other than you, you, you
Oh, that's what you do, do, do
You run so far until you're out of reach
And that's when the silence speaks

Words that were said
Just fade into the air
There's not a sound of yours I hear
It's all knocked down before it reaches my ears
You've got new obsessions, oh
Give me a new life lesson, oh
Replaced me as your top priority so suddenly
Now I'm on the comedown
Now we're on shutdown, oh

All I asked for was just a little of your time
Not a lonely night of cigarettes and wine
But you take away all I used to seek
When you take my trust and cut it like a knife
I soon realise, go dry your eyes
I don't need you in my life

(Acoustic)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Welat65 on 16/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 16/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 16/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 18/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 25/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2015 02:26:41(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

"Waves" is an incredibly laidback mid-tempo track that features a steady beat that never dulls or intensifies throughout its duration, its mellow nature lending itself perfectly to Valentina's heartfelt vocals. The track itself dances between the sounds of a country slow jam and a 70s soft rock ballad, its sound heavily inspired by Fleetwood Mac. While its production may not be the most intriguing on the album, its the story that Valentina tells with her lyrics that makes "Waves" able to truly captivate the listener, along with her emotional performance. Similar to previous track on the album "When the Silence Speaks", "Waves" features relaxed vocals from the singer and despite her powerful voice, its tracks like these where her gentle vocal delivery can be just as appreciated as more intense tracks on the record such as "Pantomime" and "Limit".

"Waves" is the one song on the record that sums up the relationship Valentina has written about in all of these songs. She reminisces on past memories and also addresses where the current situation stands, as well as how she personally feels after it's all happened. The brutally honest song lightly touches on each stage of the relationship, but largely focuses on the changes that she's currently experiencing, including breaking up with her partner. This is evident in the track's second verse as she sings "But the deep blue brought me all the visibility / To finally say you lost me, oh, you lost me". While in the song's chorus she gently croons, "It's too late now we've set out to sail / And we rock to the waves of a changing love". Overall, it's an important song to the album's story as it documents the breakup and starts to move the album into the aftermath of the relationship, where Valentina learns to cope on her own after being in a messed up situation. While there's a hint of sadness in the song, both lyrically and sonically, the lyrics "You were my lowest, now I'm at my highest / And I'm so much more enlightened" show that Valentina truly feels she's better off and is in control.

"This is by far the best song I think I've ever written... you guys can have your own faves, but this is mine! I love a good story and 'Waves' brings me so many memories and takes me through so many emotions that I can't help but like it so much, cuz a song that gets you in the feels is a damn good song, right? I did my job well if I can do that. It's got a real chill vibe to it, like it's the kinda song you play on a hot day at the beach and just relax to, least that's what my father told me and I don't think he's wrong. I'm a real Cali beach girl, so I can totally imagine myself chilling to my own track with a beer, don't judge. Anyway, the main reason I wrote this was cuz me and the unnamed boy rented a boat for the day, we were gonna go on a little adventure to... wherever, we had no clue. But it was... eugh, terrible. A real awakening to the douchebag moment. I think being alone with someone out in the distant water kinda makes you reflect on things, because you're so vulnerable. I knew that person wasn't for me then, that's when I think what we had truly started to sink and I liked the imagery of that."

"Waves"

Calm ocean blue, we were living the high life
Plain sailing in the crystal view
Drinking until we saw the sunrise
Tore up the map and let nature take its course
Left the coast and ignored the calls
Of everyone back home, oh
I told myself I wasn't afraid of the unknown

But we rocked and were tossed
Into the middle of nowhere
I shoulda felt the freedom, but instead
I get the feeling I'm hanging on by a thread

With you it doesn't rain, it hails
You don't let me down gently, you mess me up intensely
It's too late now we've set out to sail
And we rock to the waves of a changing love
And I sway to the days I were a fool to your ways
There's no mystery, was never in our history
Just wasn't written in the stars
So let's set out to sail, my love
Let's rock to the waves of this changing love

Now it's like we're sinking, cause all I see happening
Is us going down and down and down
While we hold each other's heads under til we drown
Then fall to rock bottom, cause whatever we had
Is long forgotten in the midst of our problems
Like a message in a bottle, we travelled out too far
From where we were, now the glass smashes open
Leaking out our complications into the ocean

And we're so far from home, I didn't wanna say I'm lost
But really, none of us know where we're going
Whether we're on the straight and narrow
Or embracing the twists and turns
We're on a single journey, never knowing when we'll return
And this time, I'm leaving land for the unpredictability
Oh, how you changed me and I used to say you thrilled me
But the deep blue brought me all the visibility
To finally say you lost me, oh, you lost me

You were my lowest, now I'm at my highest
And I'm so much more enlightened
Now we swim back to shore
More divided than united
And distant than we ever were before

But we rocked and were tossed
Into the middle of nowhere
I shoulda felt the freedom, but instead
I get the feeling I'm hanging on by a thread

Edited by user 28 June 2015 03:37:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 14 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 25/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 25/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 25/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 25/06/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 25/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 26/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 27/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 28/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/07/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#9 Posted : 25 June 2015 09:04:33(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

Coming after a string of mellow tracks on the record is "Lions" which comes to shake things up on the second half of the record, providing a catchy synth-pop tune that is one of Valentina's most radio-friendly, mainstream sounding songs to date. While she never compromises the meaning in her lyrics for an easy pop song, "Lions" is an effortlessly well-produced and catchy track that shows Valentina in a more easygoing light as an artist. It shows there's more to the singer than what we've so far heard on the record and proves Valentina is no one trick pony and isn't afraid of having a little fun with her music. The song is likely to go down well with fans and more importantly the general public with thanks to its addictive chorus, which makes it a likely single choice if Valentina is after a hit.

However, despite the more upbeat sound of "Lions", it's important to take note of the lyrics and listen to the story that Valentina once again delivers in her song writing. The radio-friendly sound to the track may imply that it's an uplifting, happy song at first, but analysing the lyrics closely show that Val's lyrics mainly deal with self destruction, a longing for freedom and feeling powerless. Valentina's vocals are mostly untouched in the song's verses as she sings notably a lot more powerfully in comparison to the last few songs on the album's track list, but become more layered and distorted in the song's post-chorus as she sings "And suddenly my veins come bursting open / And I'm torn apart, fragile and scarred".

"Heeey are you guys still reading these? You deserve a prize if so. I don't have a prize. But if I did, you'd get it. I looove 'Lions' for being the little ear worm that it is. I didn't intentionally set out to make it like that, but I knew I didn't want all the lyrically serious or even depressing songs on the record to actually follow that path in the music as well, sometimes it's nice for things to contrast and be bittersweet in that sense. I don't know if it'll be a single, but I do love singing it in the shower... it's really just a track about not letting someone hurt you again, being totally done with that. You'd rather hurt yourself and put yourself in a situation that'd hurt you instead of giving them the satisfaction to do that again. After the whole break-up story in 'Waves', 'Lions' kinda reflects on the past in the verses and the chorus brings it to the present where it's like... bye."

"Lions"

These four walls feel a little too small, a little too like
A prison sentence I'm servin' for all my life
They all hear what goes on, but there's no eyes watching
Just assumptions on how we function
But they don't know the way you push my buttons
They just hear the show from behind the curtains

Suddenly I'm caught in your web
I trip and I never seem to land
Tangled up in all the small talk
And suddenly you become the enemy
We go round and round and do it all again
But this time, I'm not letting you in my head
I throw myself to the lions instead

And suddenly my veins come bursting open
And I'm torn apart, fragile and scarred
Ripped in two, from my soul to my heart
And I'm torn apart, bleeding hard

These days that pass, feel a little too wasted
Another chance to escape, so I chase it
Pack my things and my blood starts rushin'
But the door slams shut and here you come runnin'
Pulling me back into your unforgiving arms
Where I lay numb
Back on the other end of your gun

All the nothing you give, all the sweet nothings you promised
Well nothing completes this empty feeling
I just keep on dreaming
I throw myself into harm's way just to rid myself
Of these cloudy, grey days
I wanna feel the sun on my skin
With no questions of where I've been
A journey under the stars, alone
Wherever the wind blows, that's where I'll go
Cause this time, I'm not letting you in my head

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
JohnnyBBB on 25/06/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 25/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 25/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 26/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 27/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 28/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 30/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/07/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#10 Posted : 28 June 2015 03:00:07(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

Perhaps the quirkiest song on the record is "Cat & Mouse", a track that's received attention from the moment Valentina unveiled the album's track list solely down to the name of the song and the curiosity behind what inspired it. The track itself is another glistening synth-heavy effort that further begins to craft Valentina's own individual sound, blending mainstream melodies together with more ambient, dreamy sounds to create something that's both experimental, yet easily accessible to the listener. The song opens with nothing but a simplistic, looped drum beat as Valentina sounds almost hesitant to sing the lyrics of the song, perhaps portraying a fear within her that she fights to overcome by the end of the track. At the beginning of "Cat & Mouse", she sounds scared and almost unsure whether she should be saying any of this aloud, but the uplifting chorus quickly sweeps in with its euphoric synths and Val's powerful delivery that leaves us with no doubt that she's discovered a new found confidence within her. This is represented right at the end of the song with an unexpected electronic breakdown, easily becoming the most chaotic, wild moment on Too True to Be Good.

The song uses the imagery of a cat and mouse to portray the situation Valentina's in, someone bad in her life that keeps coming back for unlimited second chances. Ultimately, it's about leaving a ex behind, but Valentina's theatrical lyrics move the song away from being a cliché effort and helps to make the subject matter refreshing for a change. While Val as a songwriter has admitted to struggling when it comes to showing vulnerability in her lyrics, "Cat & Mouse" is the perfect example of Valentina moving out of her comfort zone and showing herself in exactly that light, placing herself as the mouse in the situation, displaying how powerless she feels. "I dodge the trap" she sings at one moment in the song, showing how constantly on edge and helpless she is when it comes to this person. However, there's a fighting spirit in the song that comes through in the chorus, "This time it's not fun and games / I'm putting all I've got up," Val sings bravely, showing she refuses to give in to this person.

"I call this the Tom & Jerry song, I think I said that in a Q and A or something before. I didn't just wanna write your average 'we're never getting back together' kinda song, it's all been there, done that (hi self reference lol) and I knew I could do something different to that. Something a lil quirky that'd have people like 'Woah... this is a weird one' and I like songs like that. I'm obv the mouse in this song, not only cuz I love a good mouse... or rat... or whatever, but because of how I felt. Y'know how Jerry always gets in some situation and runs back into his lil mouse house and hides away, trying to avoid what's after him? That's so me."

"Cat & Mouse"

I can't do this again
I've been running around too many times
To not live and learn and feel the burn
Had my heartstrings pulled and felt 'em break
Too many times to not learn from my mistakes
You made my world shake
Now I jump over the cracks from the earthquake

Maybe we should stop building walls
Bridges, barriers and problems
That weren't in sight to begin with
I don't know where to stand
Next to you or the other side of the earth
All I know is I can't do it again
No, I can't let you in

Either way, you'd find a way
Perhaps not now, but another day
To try and get inside and mess me up
That's the way you work when I'm in your clutch
And I can't feel your touch, no

Cause you chase me, but I can't do it again
It's like a cat and mouse
You'll break me, no, I can't let you in
And I'm not coming out
This time it's not fun and games
I'm putting all I've got up
And I'm not coming out

I raise my shield
After too many times around the minefield
I dodge the traps, perhaps
Your plan all along was to watch me collapse
Misery loves a little company
So much for subtlety, cause it's loud and clear
Like a megaphone against my ear

And now all sense is screaming out
No more wool over my eyes, cause now
You're no longer the headlights blinding the deer
It's all so clear and it all appears
Just how much damage you've done
I used to sit and take it, but this time all I can do is run

But I know you, you'd find a way
Perhaps not now, but another day
To try and get inside and mess me up
That's the way you work when I'm in your clutch
And I can't feel your touch, no

And I'm not coming out
And I'm not coming out

The door's locked and bolted
And I'm not coming out
I'm done facing what's hurt me
And it won't happen again
This time, I'm not running
From what gave me nothing

And I'm not coming out
And I'm not coming out

[instrumental breakdown]
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Welat65 on 28/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 28/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 28/06/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 28/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 29/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 30/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 01/07/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/07/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#11 Posted : 28 June 2015 07:59:43(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

Valentina's promises of empowering, sassy lyrics are brought to life on electro ballad "Been There, Done That" and as we come closer to the end of the record, we start to see Val's confidence shine brightly, which isn't really heard at the start of the record. This only adds to the story Val claims that the album follows, it's as if she's found her self-worth after all of the histrionics we've heard about, and she seems proud to be over it and she's certainly not shy to unveil this feisty side to her that we see mostly on the second half of the record. While "Been There, Done That" may be one of the more mellow songs towards the end of the record, its hypnotic production and Val's addictively soothing vocals make for a perfect easy-listening track to unwind to.

Val's voice is heard in all different ways throughout the duration of the record and it's no different on this song in particular, her soft, sleepy vocal delivery adds to the laidback vibe of the track as she speaks the lyrics to the verses over dreamy synths. There's a certain strength to this song in particular that's yet to be heard on any of the previous tracks on the record as she almost teases the person she sings about during the chorus with the lines, "And if you're gonna drag me down / Pull me down harder I've gotten up from worse / And I've been there, done that before". After the emotional ballads that come mid-album to represent her struggles, "Been There, Done That" is extremely effective in showing how Val is no longer phased by this person and has become stronger because of them.

"This is my victory song, my warrior princess anthem. It's really about finally becoming enlightened to how fuckin stupid you were and being a smarter, stronger person at the end of it all. You'd never do it all again, but if you did, you know for sure things would go down a hell of a lot different because of how much you've changed. I think a lot of people will be able to relate to this one, perhaps the most out of any on the record cuz it's just a message that can be applied to a lot of different situations. As we come to the end of the album's story, you start to see how much more positive the songs become and how it's all about moving on and being better off and being stronger, and I think that's how we all feel once we get over a breakup. It's a nice relaxed revenge bop though, I'm sure you lovebugs will agree heheh."

"Been There, Done That"

Once again I'm caught in the middle of an explosion
Always waiting for the dust to settle
Called a truce, but you kept hold of your deadly weapon
Now the shots are fired
And these wounds open up once more
But they don't hurt like they used to
I'm so over it now that I'm better off without you

So if you're gonna hurt me now
Do it a little harder
Cause I'm so used to the bruises
And if you're gonna drag me down
Pull me down harder
I've gotten up from worse
And I've been there, done that before

And I've hurt a lot more
Than what you're tryna do now
Cause I've been there, done that before
And I've hurt a lot more

Ties were cut and bridges were burned
My mouth shut while yours went running
So much for being civil
But if you wanna play the villain
You can grab your ammo and I'll raise my hands
Sink me into the ground like quicksand
Cause this is far from pain or even sadness
Just a whole load of nothingness

Do it a little harder
Pull me down harder

And I've hurt a lot more
And I've hurt a lot more

Try and look down on me, but I'm nowhere to be found
I'm floating free while your eyes are on the ground
So if you think I'm in deep regret
Nights spent crying until my eyes run red
Or lying awake in agony
Our versions differ completely
I live an opposite life to your surreal fantasies
Your made up stories and your painted pictures

Do it a little harder
Pull me down harder

And I've hurt a lot more
And I've hurt a lot more
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 10 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
genocidal king on 28/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 28/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 29/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 30/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 30/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 01/07/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/07/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#12 Posted : 28 June 2015 08:03:55(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

01. Purify
02. Limit
03. Pantomime
05. Bruised
07. Waves
08. Lions
09. Cat & Mouse

"Harlequin (The Performer)" is track eleven on Too True to Be Good and the final song on the standard edition of the album. Just based on the the sound of the track, it's a fitting end to the record and ends Too True to Be Good on an absolute high with its soaring, anthemic sound. While a lot of the album surrounds itself around the themes of insecurities, fear, hurt and heartbreak, "Harlequin" truly sounds like Valentina's escape from this previous life that she lived as she embarks on a new journey, one that looks more promising judging from the uplifting, euphoric sound of the song. The track's verses feature dreamy guitars and steady drums, Valentina's vocals full of courage and confidence to truly deliver the empowering lyrics in a believable manner. This is followed by perhaps the most memorable, impressive chorus on the album, which explodes with little warning and takes the listener by suprise with its blissful, atmospheric sound as Valentina's vocals are layered and echoed over each other to add an otherworldly, airy sound. It's a real carefree, hands-in-the-air moment on the album that sounds like every ounce of negative emotion that Valentina may have by the end of the album is completely gone.

While we've heard a frustrated, sassy Valentina on some of her previous singles, which is still very much present on "Harlequin", this song seems to display Val assessing the situation and moving on from it rather than taking a dig at whoever the song may be about. While her sarcasm is still present on lines such as "Tell me what you require, master", Val seems well and truly over this person and the whole story that the album follows as she soon follows up with "Then, disaster, anger, now I'm full of laughter / I quit being the actor / I cut off your anchor". It's an important song on the album purely to show how Valentina's attitude has changed and how she's matured over the course of the record, bringing the album full circle when compared to track one "Purify" that shows the first signs of this relationship no longer functioning as Val's imperfections come under scrutiny.

"I see this song as the part two to 'Pantomime' and the conclusion to the subject of that song. 'Pantomime' was all about pretending the issues weren't there and faking a smile and pretending everything was fine for the sake of everyone else, when really it was fuckin' awful," Val explains. "Then 'Harlequin' has like... no fucks to give about putting on a front and pleasing anyone else. I put myself first and no longer went along with the facade because it was making me unhappy and I wasn't willing to stay in a relationship where I felt like I was acting. It's why I love the song so much, because it's a real like... breaking the chains kinda moment and running free from all that was weighing me down. I wanted it to sound like a heavenly angelic stadium song that just totally throws you into this euphoric, happy state. It's an emotional song for me to listen to because it's one of the last songs I did for the record and I think it's the one song that shows how much my life has changed since I put my very first single out. Plus it's got such an atmospheric sound that I find it hard not to just become emotional purely from the feeling the sound alone gives me, and I think that's the true beauty of music and why I geek out so much over it."

"Harlequin (The Performer)"

Used to snap your fingers and I came runnin'
Tell me what you require, master
I used to move the mountains to your desire
Thought I'd mould to the shape of the goddess you lust after
Then, disaster, anger, now I'm full of laughter
I quit being the actor
I cut off your anchor

You want me to be your harlequin
Dressed up like a mannequin
Stay still like a mime in frozen time
Stuck on mute in this neverending interlude
Won't be a companion to the joker no longer
I hold the power and when the lights go down
I'll no longer be the performer

Now it's all up in the air, but I don't juggle
I just watch what was ours smash into pieces
I take hold of the reigns, I don't play the puppet
And the hard times you gave me now only make me chuckle
The dead weight's gone and now I'm free
Free, free, free as could be

You used to push and now I pull
I'm not made for you to use, I'm lettin' myself loose
I'm takin' back all that used to be called yours
I'm unveiling the truth, reclaiming back my youth
After all you killed that used to thrive
I'm finally wide-eyed and alive

You cling and you cling and you
Got into my skin
But now I'm not the property you stand by
I pulled myself out from under your eye
I walked away from the burning lights
They're no longer so bright
Now that your one man show's been run outta town
And the curtain comes crashin' down

You used to push and now I pull
I'm not made for you to use, I'm lettin' myself loose
I'm takin' back all that used to be called yours
I'm unveiling the truth, reclaiming back my youth
After all you killed that used to thrive
I'm finally wide-eyed and alive

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 10 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
genocidal king on 28/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 28/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 28/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 29/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 30/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 30/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 01/07/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/07/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#13 Posted : 29 June 2015 19:05:19(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
OOC: I actually can't believe no one has commented on this so far (although I just realised the deluxe tracks haven't been added yet so maybe that's why haha). I have totally loved Val and the whole character you've built for her since introducing her, so I knew her album would be great, and it really is! Your lyrics....I mean I always praise them but wow. You seem to be a step above haha, and these are definitely some of your best ever. This might just be one of my favourite TRSG albums to date. Oh, and I am now definitely a fan of Kate Boy, whoever that is :P

Kellin: Oh my god, I can FINALLY talk about this! You have no idea how much I've been biting my tongue the last month. Majestic, Val, just beautiful. Your lyrics are so perfect and on-point. So unique. "Calm ocean blue, we were living the high life, Plain sailing in the crystal view, Drinking until we saw the sunrise," is my favourite. And your voice has this sort of quality that just draws me in. Pop/indie has needed something different for so long, and you bring that to the table with a wonderful album that stands out so perfectly, but then who would expect any less from such a unique and interesting girl? ;) But you know what I loved most about this whole record? The pacing. It's such a criminally ignored facet of music, but you really got it right. From that slow paced opening to the two party tunes to a mellow couple of songs to keep the change alive...I loved it. Sometimes you need to get that balance right by reigning it back in the middle, pace-wise. It helps you control the listener better and take them on YOUR journey. That makes it seem a lot more personal to me. And when you're telling a story of such an up and down, beginning to end relationship, as you are throughout, that's something that really matters. The pace can tell a story all by itself, and it does here. You really have a talent for this music business, huh? ;) I would struggle to name a favourite song...but if you were forcing me to, I would probably have to say....Cat & Mouse. Becuz, yah, I am that end-of-an album hipster. And I also just love your voice on that song. Gah, how are you so damn talented? :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 30/06/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#14 Posted : 29 June 2015 22:59:09(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17932 time(s) in 10423 post(s)
Erica: that's it. I quit. Val has made the perfect album and the rest of us are pretty much trying to catch up. Sometimes I feel I cheat on other songs. Sure, I listen to them...but I'm thinking about yours.

Nina: even ours?! I thought the harlots were special!

Erica: especially ours.

Nina: yeah...me too,love. I'm usually thinking about either reported failure or Juneau.

Erica: you switch hitter,you.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Offline mebeme101  
#15 Posted : 30 June 2015 02:17:11(UTC)
mebeme101

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Layla: The title is "Too True to Be Good" but this album is too good to be true okay no more bad jokes I promise this album is such an emotional journey from beginning to end like I honestly cannot count how many times I teared up or just flat out cried while listening to it every track is so amazingly written and so different in terms of production too what is currently playing on the radio it's incredible I don't think I'll ever be able to pick a favorite from this album because every song is incredible in it's own way and I honestly will have this album on repeat for so long like this is legit one of the top albums to be released so far this year on every side whether it be lyrically, production wise, vocally and like since your debut I've had such high hopes and expectations for you Valentina and you constantly delivered with your singles which built this expectations and hopes even higher but after finally getting to hear the album in full I can easily say you surpassed my hopes and exceeded my expectations so, so, so, so much with this album now let me get back to fan girl Layla and buy 25 copies just in case one of them breaks okay bye <3
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
Offline freestylechamp  
#16 Posted : 30 June 2015 02:36:01(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Jake: I'm here just to tell Miss hart that after listening to your album Chris retired from being in Synco. It would have never work he doesn't have the voice nor the song writing ability.

Chris: It's not fair! I saw it first and she just going to outclass me. ~Sigh~ You better do a good job being in the group cause I swear if someone else comes I going after knee caps.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 30/06/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 30/06/2015(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#17 Posted : 01 July 2015 00:46:28(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Abie: Some songs on this album are so visceral that I could almost feel cuts under my skin, truly you have a voice that speaks through the inner emotions of your soul and girl, I have to tell you, you have such a blue soul, just like mine. I tell you we should hang out together sometime, I know you'll be really busy for the months to come but I'll be free, anytime you want to, give me a call :). BTW loved this!

OOC: This is a combination of beautiful lines. I'm always impressed by your work.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 02/07/2015(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#18 Posted : 01 July 2015 05:29:42(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
CosmaMendoza: This is such a good album, the lyrics are so beautiful and yet so catchy! Like, it's stuck in my head!? You really deserve all the success and fame you get currently! I'm still waiting for the deluxe version though

OOC: The same thing everyone said..lol. I actually wanted to wait for the songs from the deluxe version but everyone kinda commented so yeah..Whatever ;D
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 02/07/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#19 Posted : 04 July 2015 04:46:21(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Album: Too True to Be Good (Deluxe)

Following the reveal of the entire standard edition of Too True to Be Good comes "Faithless", the only new material found on the record's deluxe edition as it comes with acoustic versions of all of Valentina's previous singles. However, the song on its own could easily influence a passionate Val fan into the deluxe thanks to its pulsating beat of explosive synthesizers and drum machines, showcasing a sound similar to debut "Pantomime" and instant grat track "Limit", both which are found at the start of the record. Despite its lyrical themes of worrying over expectations, the sound is melodic and punchy and ends the album on a soaring high rather than with a predictable ballad.

While the standard edition of Too True to Be Good reveals all on a turbulent relationship, "Faithless" gives Val the chance to tell a different story on the deluxe as she deals with self doubt and pressure. Val reveals this was reason why the song was left off the standard for not following the lyrical themes of the other songs as it would interfere with the story. However, Valentina's personality still manages to shines through the lyrics of the track with her playful, theatrical style as she sings, "What if the circus comes into town? / And they make me the clown". It's a raw, honest look at how Val felt the moment people began to take notice of her as an artist, the lyrics showing her concerns of living up to the hype.

"I wrote this song after 'Pantomime' went viral and loads of big names were tweeting out my name to their millions of followers and I was kinda taking a step back and assessing the situation cuz it was all getting so crazy. I thought about it so hard that I was just overcome with fear and panic and anxiety at the thought of putting anything else out, I was scared nothing would be good enough and no one would like anything else of mine. For a little while I couldn't even write or think about music, the idea was scary knowing how many people were listening to me. It was a lil different to just throwing a song on Soundcloud... cause no one really cared back then, there was no immediate reaction, no one to pull me down. I mean, I'm over that now and I'm like yeah, whatevs, like it or not, idc... but at the time it was a foreign concept and that took a bit of time to get used to. It didn't fit in with the rest, it was the odd one out so I decided to put it on the deluxe instead, but I still love hearing it back just to hear how I felt in the middle of the chaos at the time."

"Faithless"

Pressure's swallowing me up
And I'm clawing back for dear life
A poltergeist that can't make peace
With the thoughts that won't leave
Head's under water
And I can't seem to come up for air

Our own monsters live under the bed
All my relentless self loathing
Makes me hide from the mornings
And hibernate in the evenings
I gotta lot to live up to
What if it shoots me down?

Why resist the irresistible?
Mind's in overdrive and it's unforgivable
Now I'm walkin' along a never ending tightrope
And I don't care if I start fallin' down
Now I'm nothin' but careless, damn this
Permanent state of feeling faithless

Uh oh, uh oh...
Uh oh, uh oh...

Can't find the keys to open up the locks
There's no suffocating the screams of doubt
Got nothin' to show from this lack of hope
And I'm faithless, faithless
Holding the knife and running it against my spine
I'm all I can trust, but I'm the biggest enemy goin'

The real monsters live inside our head
All this raging self pity
Makes me wanna get away
Some place far away
What if the circus comes into town?
And they make me the clown, oh...

Uh oh, uh oh...
Uh oh, uh oh...

I don't know what I'm runnin' from
Guess I'm afraid of the unknown
Or failure and being alone
Oh, I don't know what I'm runnin' for
I waited so long that it'd be a crime to ignore
The world knocking at my door

Uh oh, uh oh...
Uh oh, uh oh...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 5 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
erich hess on 04/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 04/07/2015(UTC), freestylechamp on 04/07/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/07/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 04/07/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#20 Posted : 04 July 2015 05:09:21(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
OOC: I actually can't believe no one has commented on this so far (although I just realised the deluxe tracks haven't been added yet so maybe that's why haha). I have totally loved Val and the whole character you've built for her since introducing her, so I knew her album would be great, and it really is! Your lyrics....I mean I always praise them but wow. You seem to be a step above haha, and these are definitely some of your best ever. This might just be one of my favourite TRSG albums to date. Oh, and I am now definitely a fan of Kate Boy, whoever that is :P

Kellin: Oh my god, I can FINALLY talk about this! You have no idea how much I've been biting my tongue the last month. Majestic, Val, just beautiful. Your lyrics are so perfect and on-point. So unique. "Calm ocean blue, we were living the high life, Plain sailing in the crystal view, Drinking until we saw the sunrise," is my favourite. And your voice has this sort of quality that just draws me in. Pop/indie has needed something different for so long, and you bring that to the table with a wonderful album that stands out so perfectly, but then who would expect any less from such a unique and interesting girl? ;) But you know what I loved most about this whole record? The pacing. It's such a criminally ignored facet of music, but you really got it right. From that slow paced opening to the two party tunes to a mellow couple of songs to keep the change alive...I loved it. Sometimes you need to get that balance right by reigning it back in the middle, pace-wise. It helps you control the listener better and take them on YOUR journey. That makes it seem a lot more personal to me. And when you're telling a story of such an up and down, beginning to end relationship, as you are throughout, that's something that really matters. The pace can tell a story all by itself, and it does here. You really have a talent for this music business, huh? ;) I would struggle to name a favourite song...but if you were forcing me to, I would probably have to say....Cat & Mouse. Becuz, yah, I am that end-of-an album hipster. And I also just love your voice on that song. Gah, how are you so damn talented? :)

OOC: Woah I dunno what to say to all that hahah :O thank you so much and there's been so many great albums posted on here over the years, so for you to say it may be one of your favourites is aaamazing. And they're great, can't wait for their debut this year. =)

Valentina: UM DUDE, how on earth do we even have the same favourite lyrics? This is not okay. Well it is, but it's kinda creepy. Guess great minds really do think alike after all, huh? Heheh. I'm so glad you enjoyed it considering I gave it to you fuckin' forever ago! And I'm even more glad to hear you've kinda like... analysed it like the lil music geek that I am too in terms of the pacing and the story and everything, cuz that's exactly what I hoped from anyone who stumbled across the album and gave it a listen. But yeahhh, I can't say thank you enough, but I'll say it again... thank you! =)

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: that's it. I quit. Val has made the perfect album and the rest of us are pretty much trying to catch up. Sometimes I feel I cheat on other songs. Sure, I listen to them...but I'm thinking about yours.

Nina: even ours?! I thought the harlots were special!

Erica: especially ours.

Nina: yeah...me too,love. I'm usually thinking about either reported failure or Juneau.

Erica: you switch hitter,you.

Valentina: As long as I'm always on your mind, Erica... then recording this album has all been worth it. I win! :D

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Layla: The title is "Too True to Be Good" but this album is too good to be true okay no more bad jokes I promise this album is such an emotional journey from beginning to end like I honestly cannot count how many times I teared up or just flat out cried while listening to it every track is so amazingly written and so different in terms of production too what is currently playing on the radio it's incredible I don't think I'll ever be able to pick a favorite from this album because every song is incredible in it's own way and I honestly will have this album on repeat for so long like this is legit one of the top albums to be released so far this year on every side whether it be lyrically, production wise, vocally and like since your debut I've had such high hopes and expectations for you Valentina and you constantly delivered with your singles which built this expectations and hopes even higher but after finally getting to hear the album in full I can easily say you surpassed my hopes and exceeded my expectations so, so, so, so much with this album now let me get back to fan girl Layla and buy 25 copies just in case one of them breaks okay bye <3

Valentina: Shut up, shut up right now because I will not have my girlfriend crying over my music. This was not my intention and I will take this album back and burn it if it happens again!!!1 But thanks so much giiirl for always bein there for me, I gotcha back. PS can you break all 25 of them and buy another 50? I wanna get a new apartment. Love and thanks in advance. ;))

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Jake: I'm here just to tell Miss hart that after listening to your album Chris retired from being in Synco. It would have never work he doesn't have the voice nor the song writing ability.

Chris: It's not fair! I saw it first and she just going to outclass me. ~Sigh~ You better do a good job being in the group cause I swear if someone else comes I going after knee caps.

Valentina: Chris, truth is I'm not flawless enough to be in SYNCO tbqh and I think you'd look better in hot pants than me. I dunno why hot pants are important, I just assume girl groups wear em 24/7??? Sooooo... I guess what I'm sayin is... you can have the spot. Just don't touch Layla cuz that booty is mine.

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Abie: Some songs on this album are so visceral that I could almost feel cuts under my skin, truly you have a voice that speaks through the inner emotions of your soul and girl, I have to tell you, you have such a blue soul, just like mine. I tell you we should hang out together sometime, I know you'll be really busy for the months to come but I'll be free, anytime you want to, give me a call :). BTW loved this!

OOC: This is a combination of beautiful lines. I'm always impressed by your work.

Valentina: Blue soul! I like that, what a groovy term. I like it almost as much as the word 'groovy' heheh. Thank you sososo much for your sweet words though, chick! I'd love to meet ya. =)

OOC: That's sweet, thank you very much!

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
CosmaMendoza: This is such a good album, the lyrics are so beautiful and yet so catchy! Like, it's stuck in my head!? You really deserve all the success and fame you get currently! I'm still waiting for the deluxe version though

OOC: The same thing everyone said..lol. I actually wanted to wait for the songs from the deluxe version but everyone kinda commented so yeah..Whatever ;D

Valentina: I'm just an evil genius who wraps up her emotional and far too dramatic lyrics in a delicious ball of catchiness heheh. Thanks for the words, love.

OOC: It's okay I only had 1 more to post (cause who cares for acoustics of already revealed songs rly) so w/e :p

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 2 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 04/07/2015(UTC), freestylechamp on 04/07/2015(UTC)