logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2016 04:38:25(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage
credit to BrownSugar for editing the logo

UserPostedImage

“Oh wow! Here we are boys and girls.

Welcome to the very first episode of AfterDark, hopefully the first of many. We’ve got an amazing guest list lined-up for this debut season of the show and I’m sure that there’ll be lots of fun along the way. We love seeing famous people squirm, right? Now, contrary to popular opinion, this talk show isn’t aimed at getting the headlines the next morning. It’s an opportunity to sit down with the best of what the entertainment industry has to offer and talk about what they’re up to. There will be some fun to be had along the way, of course I’m not oblivious as to what’s being said in the media and on social media and so expect some challenging questions. But the main aim of the show is to have fun and hopefully you guys and girls have fun watching.
So without further delay, please welcome my first guest of the season, Ryan Ross Hernandez!

Welcome to the show Ryan. You have the distinct honour of being the first guest willing to stay up late and chat with me. We’re all quite sure you operate better at night anyway, right?

I am honored to be here, Cara. Thank you for having me. Willing seems to be the right word here, judging by the name of the show, I might not have a career by sunrise! I guess you could say I’m more of a night owl. Over the last year or so, I’ve become use to staying up late into the night just writing and working in the studio. That’s where I would be right now if I wasn’t doing this. But I’m sure you meant that in other ways.

So let’s get down to business first, the fun and games will certainly come later. You’ve had a busy start to the new year, with the release of two singles already. Let’s start off with “The Younger Heart”, it’s fair to say that this single in particular made one hell of an impression on the entertainment industry. Were you expecting people to be so curious about the song and obviously the subject of the song, or more to the point, who the subject of the song is?

I was expecting it, to an extent. Ever since I began dating women who were in the entertainment industry in some way or form most of the songs I release under my name are put under this microscope where people just try to dissect every lyric. I’m extremely self-aware of that, but if I just sat around and thought about that I’d never release music again because I am uncomfortable when something I write becomes overshadowed by rumors who a particular song is about. I hate it. I hate when the name of someone else is tossed around so carelessly because that’s not fair to whomever they are suggesting a song like “The Younger Heart” is about. I’ve said it time and time again that people can speculate all they want but I will never publicly talk about who I’m writing these songs about or the personal experiences that inspired them. I have way too much respect for the women I’ve dated to ever do that.

It felt like a huge change from your previous work, where you went more in an old-school folk and Americana style of music, being inspired by the Neil Young’s and Bob Dylan’s of this world to then go with something so much more contemporary. What made you decide to change things up so drastically with your new material?

I just felt it was time to change it up. Having been away completely from the music scene, from social media, from the public eye, I felt it was the perfect time for me to once again reinvent myself when it came to whatever was coming next with my music. The last two albums I released were inspired by that folk, Americana music from the 1970s, the era where I felt the singer-songwriter category really grew into their own space with the likes of Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell gaining commercial success while being supremely talented songwriters. I think my fans understand that when I grasp into a particular sound or vibe, I go forward with it regardless of what I’ve done in the past. I’ve never wanted to chain myself into just one particular style of music. That idea bores me.

Would you rather your songs be talked about because of the quality of the music itself or because of who the song has supposedly been written about?

Without question I’d rather people talk about the music I’m creating. The two songs I’ve released in the last month or so are vastly different from anything I’d done in the past, I’m extremely proud of crafting them and I’m so happy to have returned properly to the scene with those songs. But barely anyone is talking about that because it’s not an attractive headline as “Ryan Ross Hernandez Returns and Writes a Song About So and So.” It’s all pointless bullshit created to appeal to an audience that likely doesn’t care for my music in the first place and rather just hear the crap that tabloids write about. I’m a musician. I’m a singer-songwriter. That’s what I do. That’s what I love. Everything else is just white noise to me.

With each of your past albums, you’ve focused in on specific genres and styles, you’ve done a blues album, a folk/Americana album, a pop album. So what is the overall theme of this album? And are you worried that you could soon be running out of genres?

This next album is more covering a vast landscape of sounds than anything else I’d done before. I’m not sure if I’d describe it as one specific sound I’m going for on this one, it flows a bit more freely. There are some songs that are more in line with Springsteen-esque rock songs, very anthemic and thumping tracks, to more quieter, mellowed moments like “The Younger Heart” where it’s acoustic driven, there are a few songs I constructed on piano, quite soulful tracks that will likely make it on there. Then you have some stuff straight of left field where there are synths, which I’ve never really used before, creating loops and samples. Those have been the most fun ones to mess around with in studio because it’s totally newfound territory for me as a musician, layering those sounds with what’s always been my main tool, the guitar. To answer your second question, no, I don’t feel I’ll ever run out of genres because I’m not working in any particular album cycles. I’m releasing an album later this year then I might not release another one for another four or five years so that gives me plenty of time to just explore with different sounds and find out what’s next. I jokingly mentioned in an interview once that when I’m in my fifties I’ll write a jazz record in the vain of Frank Sinatra and that’s still in the books. I’m still at least a good eleven or twelve years away from that so no jokes about my age now, fuckers.

Your latest song “Don’t Read the Headlines” feels extremely appropriately titled. Can you tell us a little about the songs theme for those that haven’t listened to it yet?

That song is quite the in-depth look at meeting someone, describing that moment, then going forward and eventually entering a relationship that almost immediately feels as if it’s walking a tightrope, not necessarily due to the people involved in it, more so due to all the noise of social media and those around them. The chorus is just begging this person not to hear any of that shit if she wants us to be happy and last, yet also apologizing to them for putting them in that position in the first place. Dating, being in functional relationships isn’t easy when you’re a publicly known figure or “celebrity.” That’s why I live in Montana because it’s the most natural, organic environment to just exist. In the past, I’ve taken women who I’ve dated that were in this industry out to Bozeman and they just love it because we can go out to a bar or have dinner or just walk around town and people do not give a fuck who we are. There’s no one taking a low-quality, grainy picture of us at a restaurant because they don’t care. I’m simply known as Ryan there, a local.

How far along are you with the new record? Does it have a title or release date yet?

The record is about seventy-five to eight percent completed. We have about another seven to eight weeks in the studio where we’ll be wrapping up the recording process. Most of the songs left to record are already written, now it’s just a matter of constructing them sonically. The record is called “Sex with Former Lovers: Living in the Past, Living Inside My Own Head” I know, it’s quite the mouthful there. There is no release date for it yet. Once the album is completed or enters its mastering stage, Studio 60 and myself as well as my team will sit down and discuss a release date for it. If I had to make a very early guesstimate that no one should hold against me if it doesn’t end up falling in this timeframe, I’d say a late summer or early fall release is plausible.

You’re considered one of the veterans of the music industry these days and you’ve seen tastes change so drastically over the years. What are your opinions on the music industry as it is right now? Would you say it’s in a strong position?

After sixteen years in the music scene since my debut LP, I’ve seen many artists come and go, very talented individuals that for one reason or another just so happen to fall into the cracks. I’m not of a mindset as a musician or just human being where I think that a particular generation is the height of music and everything after that is awful because I don’t believe that to be true whatsoever. Every era of music has its good and bad. This current landscape of music is dominated, and has been for a handful of years now by these massively successful female pop artists, and both girl and boy bands that are a trend that appears to fade away then come back ever so often. You have the biggest band in the world, Riot! in the Boulevard and Reported Failure are two bands who are finding a realm to still thrive in the changing times. People think because I keep my collaborating work with other artists to a minimum that I’m some pretentious prick who hates this era of music, but I really don’t. There are so many talented individuals in this industry right now that if anything I think we’re entering a booming period. Isabel Merjos, Amy Meyer, Cassie Valentine, Jennifer Armstrong Rum & Coke, Winnie, Cristina Lake, Miami. These are all artists whom have either broken the ceiling in the last five years or so have just become some of the biggest, widely known artists in the world or they are at the very brick of that. As I said prior, this is a time in music where the ladies are just dominating the scene and that’s fantastic.

And with so much ground covered already in your career, is there something that you’re yet to do that you would like to maybe try doing some day soon?

There are still a couple of things that I’d love to do. I think in this business, regardless of the level of success that you may have achieved in the past or even how long you’ve been doing this for a living, it’s important to still have certain ambitions and desires of things you’d like to one day explore. I’ve spoken about doing a collaborative album in the past and there have been some preliminary discussions in that department but they never flourished into anything past that. If I can find the right artist who I mesh well with and there is chemistry there where we can just play music and write songs together, that’d be perfect. I hope to one day find that peer whom such an ambitious project is possible with. I don’t just want to get together with someone and record a couple of songs then put them out online. I’d want that to be a unique experience where both parties dedicate their time and efforts into creating a full-length record together and going out to support it, tour on it. I think that’d be be a lot of fun in the right situation. Outside of music though, I do have some interest in exploring other outlets within the creative fields in the entertainment world.

One of the grounds that you have covered is TV work. You’ve already written a successful TV series and you have a new Netflix show coming soon. Can you tell us a little more about that?

I probably can’t, but I will tell you a little about it because I like you, Cara. The show is called “A List of Things We Can’t Talk About” and it’ll be a thirty minute long show typically, although some select episodes will run a little longer. It’ll be a ten-episode first season scheduled to be released on Netflix later this year. I’m in it and I play a deeply troubled character. I can’t reveal anything plot related or a lot of other details about it but I’m excited for it. I’m thankful for the freeing format that Netflix has given me where I can sort of push the boundaries a bit more and really dive deep into some of these storylines.

And would writing in a capacity other than songwriting be something that would appeal to you beyond your music career?

Absolutely. I’ll always be writing songs, that’s the first format of writing that I was drawn to as a teenager, I’ve written songs for over twenty years now, but as I’ve gotten older my passion for writing has slipped into other area. As you mentioned earlier, with this upcoming Netflix series, it’s the second time I’ve gone into the screenwriting field and have been able to visualize these these projects in one way or another. I don’t know how far this Netflix project will go in terms of longevity and success, I hope it does well as I have many ideas to build on in the future for it, but regardless of that outcome I will always be writing something behind the scenes that might not be directly music related. It’s just a matter of what, if it becomes anything in the future that is made public. Now if you were to ask me if I believe there will ever come a time where I dedicate myself entirely to writing be it a screenplay or a novel or something else outside of songwriting then my answer becomes a bit more deluded because I just don’t know. It does appeal to me, I love writing across different formats. I’ll just see how I feel about in a couple years and assess everything in my life.

How would you feel about a PANIC! Reunion in the near future and do you think you could still thrive in that band environment after being a solo musician for so long?

I still get asked about a possible PANIC! reunion quite a bit, which is surprising as it’s nearing a decade since I left the band and seven years since the rest of the guys in that band released an album. You know, I think the fact that many people forget is that I was already a solo artist when I joined PANIC!, I had already released two records by the time I joined them. So for me, and this is not to discredit what PANIC! did because I’m so proud of the loyal following we formed over the few years we were in the scene, being a part of that band I consider it to be a side-project. If you hand me a guitar right now and tell me to play a PANIC! song I don’t think I’d be able to do one in its entirely. If a PANIC! reunion ever comes to fruition, it would have to mean all six members are on the same page and truly believe that we could create something new with the band back together. We wouldn’t do it just for the sake of cashing in on a reunion tour. I personally haven’t talked to some of those guys in years. I exchange e-mails with Hunter a couple of times a year and I know Ashley Perry went back to school and recently got her bachelor’s degree, and a few of the other guys have children now and are fathers and husbands. Maybe it won’t be PANIC! but I’m certainly intrigued with the idea of being in a band again. If the right circumstances came up, I’d love to give it another shot and see how the experience would transition on a musical standpoint. I think I’m at a new height of what I can do as a musician from where I was ten years ago, I’ve learned a lot, I’ve gone through crafting different sounds. It’s a challenge I am open to.

Alright, now it’s time for a little fun. If you’ll indulge me.

Shhhh. Can everyone hear that? That’s the sound of my publicist calling me in a few hours after this interview airs and cursing me out, perhaps throwing stuff at me if she comes by the studio. Love ya, Angie. Seriously though, I’ll indulge you, but I’m terrified right now.

You’re a man with quite the reputation. Nadia Berry and Isabel Merjos to just name two. Those are two of the most stunning women in the world today. I’m sure all the guys out there will want to know the answer to this one. What is your secret. How do you manage to continue to attract such beautiful women?

Fuck if I know. Many times over the last year or two I’ve thought to myself, “why the fuck is anyone dating me?” By this point I feel like no woman should be coming even close to me, at least if they believe what’s said about me in the press. I don’t know. I’ve had the honor of dating such talented, brilliant women who can do ten times better than me yet they still find some sort of appeal in me. If you let me take you out on a date one day you can tell me what appeal it is that I have to attract such women. I personally have not figured it out myself, so maybe you can help giving in your first-hand account.

I don’t imagine I will get a direct answer here, but I’ll give it a go. Nadia Berry or Isabel Merjos, who can work it better where it counts?

Hah! You imagined correctly! I’m sorry, I’m not even going to try to touch upon that question. I pled the fifth.

Alright now it’s time to clear things up right now. Isabel Merjos, is that still happening?

There are certain people in my life who I will always have a great deal of love and care for regardless of what happened in the past, regardless of what is happening today, regardless of what happens in the future. That’s the case with, Iz. I have nothing but good things to say about her. She’s genuinely the kindest person in the world and anyone who has the chance to be with her is the luckiest man in the world in my eyes.

You and Adam Benjamin recently sent PANIC! And Riot! fans into a frenzy by teasing something between yourself and Amy Meyer. What is that all about and have you ever been there before?

That whole thing with Adam and I on Twitter a couple of weeks ago was pretty funny. I attended the first show of Riot! current tour in St. Paul, Minnesota and I tweeted something about how I was going to be at the concert that night and I wanted to meet up with or get Amy’s attention. Which I did, the band was gracious enough to give me a backstage pass so I hung out with them a bit before and after the show. I’ve never had anything with Amy Meyer, although I think it’s fair to say that a lot of people have a crush on her and I’m not exempt from that. She’s the Great (now) Red Hope in music, there is no one else like her in the music industry. I will always be a fan of hers.

Is there one person in particular in the industry that you would avoid getting involved with?

I think it’s unfair for me to say that about anyone because I’m sure that’s what many think about me where you have two very different pictures between the one the media has drawn of me and the one that some of my ex-girlfriends have experienced behind the scenes, the latter of which is who I really am. I have no preset assumptions of anyone that I’ve never met before.

Is there anybody in the industry that you haven’t been involved with and very much would like to check them off of your list?

My list? Haha. I don’t have a list of women I’m trying to sleep with in the music industry, I never have. That’d be a total asshole thing to have. When I’ve met someone who I’ve connected with and go on to have a fling or relationship with, it’s always happened very organically. There are plenty of talented women in this industry who I consider to be wonderful and unique. But you know, given that we’re here tonight, I must say I’m liking your whole look. It’s very mysterious but also a badass vibe with all the tattoos, you have a very peculiar look to yourself. You’re single, right? I’m not going to answer the question but we can grab a drink together after the show, if you like. There has to be some bar in this town that’s open at three in the morning. How about we end this here? You know some about me, and I don’t know much about you. It makes perfect sense to hang out when this is done.

Well, I mean I guess that wraps the show up guys. Not the ending we were anticipating but it’s an ending nevertheless. Once again, a huge thank you to my guest tonight, Ryan Ross Hernandez. Now let’s go get drunk!

Edited by user 19 March 2016 04:39:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 9 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
erich hess on 19/03/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 19/03/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 19/03/2016(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 19/03/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 19/03/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/03/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/03/2016(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 20/03/2016(UTC), PANIC! on 23/03/2016(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2016 16:20:54(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Great job on this, both of you :) It was really fun to read and I cant wait to read the rest of them.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 20/03/2016(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2016 07:08:56(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
OOC: Thanks for giving me a chance to do this at the first go of it, man. It was a lot of fun to write this, and I appreciate the background research you did to make the questions flow well and relate to the current time frame. You're ace at this sort of thing. Looking forward to reading the forthcoming ones. :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 25/03/2016(UTC)