logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2017 08:57:31(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artist: Joshua Grimmie
Title: Don't Let It Go To Your Head
Length: 3:50
Genre(s): Pop, Tropical House
Written By: J.Grimmie
Produced By: Toby Gad, Joshua Grimmie
Label: Five Pesky Kids Records
From The Album: PORCELAINHEART

Don't Let It Go To Your Head is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. The song serves as a major musical comeback for Grimmie as he had not released solo material for over two years up until this point. He featured as a guest vocalist on AJ's single "Really Somebody" which was released earlier in the year and became a top 5 hit across the globe. This is the second (and lead) single from Joshua's upcoming debut album which is currently titled "PORCELAINHEART". The album was initially set for release in 2015 off the back of his debut single "Prayer" but fail to materialise as Grimmie was later involved in a legal battle with his former record label which prevented him from releasing any new material. Now signed to Five Pesky Kids Records and managed by Bilal Holmes, Joshua is ready to make his mark on the music industry once again. The song was written entirely by Joshua in mid-2016 shortly after his legal battle was resolved. Production comes from Joshua himself as well as Toby Gad who was critical in developing the tropical house inspired instrumental breaks heard in the song, often considered the "heart" of the track.

Lyrically, the song tells the story of a man who is infatuated with another person to the point where it borders on being unhealthy and psychotic. The love interest is playing hard-to-get and trailing him along without realising the extent of his obsession. The main theme of "Don't Let It Go To Your Head" though is denial. He does not want to admit just how hooked he is, fearing that it will give up his power to his love interest. On an even deeper and darker level, he is also refusing to admit just how intense and serious this infatuation is. Grimmie has said that the song is rather "twisted", "comical" and "sadistic" as the way it is worded aided by the breezy tropical house beats and sing-a-long melody make is seem more upbeat and carefree than it actually is, being that the song revolves around someone who is clearly hurt, lonely and somewhat delusional. The bridge of the song is where everything changes, however. Joshua "raps" about finally seeking help and wanting to be free of these thoughts. His fast paced delivery and confession through this segment almost act like a "release" for the song, breaking away from the moodiness of the verses.

"Don't Let It Go To Your Head" has received mainly positive reviews upon its debut. Samantha Benitz of Hollywood Life praised Grimmie's strong vocals and commended his return to form - "Joshua Grimmie has been somewhat of a pop oddity. He has the looks, the drive and the talent to make it but has always missed the mark. Lukewarm debut single, bad vocals on his AJ feature and becoming a Tumblr post personified have not helped him capture the hearts of many. Step up DLIGTYH! With his powerful, growling vocals on top of a shimmery Top 40-ready backing beat, this song has everything it takes to propel him to the top...finally!". Many other reviewers have also been praising Grimmie and the song for its "pop sensibilities". Most of the attention has been focused on the subject matter of the song as well as Joshua's "light rapping" in the bridge. Rap-Up TV called the lyrics "genius" and "unlike the sickly sweet lyrics other pop boys hurl at you" while also praising Grimmie's rapping: "Joshua Grimmie rapping on a track is something nobody asked for but now we're wanting it in spadefuls! Rather than sounding offensive and adopting an entirely new voice to deliver his lines, Joshua sounds authentic and his heavy Jersey accent works well with the track. He's not trying to be something he isn't which is why it takes the song to a whole new level of amazing". Hugh McIntyre of Forbes was more critical of the track, dubbing it as "nice enough" but "bland" and "an odd mixture of acoustic pop and tropical house that seems out of place no matter where you play it".

Joshua Says
Quote:
"I wanted to come back with a song that ticked as many boxes for me as possible. I wanted something that was rather different in terms of its lyrical content. I didn't want a typical love song, slow sex jam or a party anthem. I wanted something that was kinda unique in itself. I also needed a song that would bridge the gap between my debut single Prayer and the stuff on the record. My first song was very acoustic pop inspired, rather simple in structure and while I've been away, I've explored more with electronic and kinda...darker, urban sounds. Don't Let It Go To Your Head combines the breezy guitar-heavy sound of my early stuff and the electro, quirky vibes I'm playing around with on the album.

I feel like this song has many layers to it and I love that. Casual listeners may see it as just a tropical bop, some people will pick up on the sadness and desperation within the lyrics, some will find the comical aspect of it...I like that it will sound so different to all the people who hear it. Again, they might be rooting for the guy in the song or they might think he's totally crazy and that he needs to get over himself!"

It's definitely a fun track to play and I can't wait to perform it live. From playing the guitar, getting caught up in the energy of the beat and switching between many different vocal deliveries, it's one that will always keep me on my toes and I doubt I'll ever grow bored of it. I think that the bridge is what I'm most proud of though. People say it's a "rap" but I'm not entirely comfortable with calling it that. It's just me messing around with my voice and doing a kind of talk-singing thing. I'm not trying to be Kidd Amaze or Deneil. I was just having fun in the studio and it came out rather well! Was such a fun process and I hope that people enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Who cares if I scribble down your name?
Who cares? Yeah, it's always been the damn same
I try to block out the constant ticking of my brain
You got me wrapped up, twisted in every little way
Daily struggle just trying to breathe and stay sane
But don't worry, it's all good here

So what if my hungry eyes start calling out?
Curled up on the floor, what the hell is that about?
It doesn't mean that you've got me hooked now
Not giving away this pride, that just ain't allowed
I'll just break down when you're not around
So don't worry, it's all good here

I'm the one that is in control right here
Cool, calm, collected, I have no fear
So don't go getting any clever ideas
Let me just make this bright and clear

Don't let it go, go to your head
I fall to pieces but what else is new?
I pour and pour, overflow that golden cup
Dutch courage and I hope for a stroke of luck
It's only all day and night that I think of you
Favorite heartbreak on vinyl spins and I feel the rush
Blare out my lungs 'cause who really gives a....?

[Instrumental break]

Does it matter if I want to fall to your feet,
Worship every inch and cry about how much you mean?
Won't say it out loud but I'll loop it in my dreams
Feels like I'm spending all my time down on my knees
Crawling over broken glass, so willing to bleed
No, don't worry, it's all good here

I'm the one that is in control right here
Cool, calm, collected, I have no fear
So don't go getting any clever ideas
Let me just make this bright and clear

[Instrumental break]

Yeah I said a little prayer this morning
Prayed that I would find the way, find an escape
To a clearer day, I was so afraid
So hung up, so twisted, soul needed saved
Like Satan, please not today
Tired of these days turning to grey
Gotta wash this sick, sick love down the drain
Starting to worry, it's not all good here
Oh
Man, the rain was a constant pouring
Shrouded in your clouds, the sun faded away
Wishing I was in a better place
Wishing I was no longer so damn afraid
Staring in an empty cup looking for a saving grace
In every droplet of poison I still see that face
R-Raise another shot for my pain and slay my fear
And this is something that I hate to share
But now it's time to make things bright and clear
I wanna hop of this ride, I ain't paying this fare
Escape these thoughts of you, clear this polluted air
Out of your toxins before I wind up dead
And yes I hold my hands up but don't let it go to your head

[Instrumental break]

Oh, who really gives a....?

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 30 March 2017 20:51:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Princess_Valentine2.0 on 30/03/2017(UTC), erich hess on 30/03/2017(UTC), kandii on 30/03/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 30/03/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 30/03/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 30/03/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 31/03/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/04/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 01/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 03/04/2017(UTC)
Offline JohnnyBBB  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2017 05:55:52(UTC)
JohnnyBBB

Groups: Registered
Man
Greece

Was thanked: 1727 time(s) in 443 post(s)
Johnny Carter: Joshua I'm so proud of you! I really love this song and it's vibe! It's a great comeback and it hypes up your tour and album release perfectly! I know you got so much to give and once again the song is amazing! The music, the production, the songwriting and it's really a fresh and unique sound!
thanks 1 user thanked JohnnyBBB for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 31/03/2017(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2017 00:59:51(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8562 time(s) in 2687 post(s)
Elle-Rose: Joshua! I relate to this song on a very strong level. Not entirely sure if that's a healthy thing but hey ho. Certainly the aspect of being young and in love and a little infatuated with somebody. It's not a fun position to be in but I feel like there's a lot of people who have been in that position too. So this song is great and could definitely become helpful to some people. Great stuff! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 03/04/2017(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2017 02:16:50(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: I love the buildup for Joshua you've created. You took a character that was essentially "dead" and given him this breath of life, packed with an all new backing story that makes perfect sense with his past. You're great at building backing stories for your characters and it's inspired me over the years to give my characters more depth behind the Faceclaim and just some songs. Aside from that, the song lyrics and description is great. It really ties in to everything Joshua has been dealing with and makes the song seem more true to him and I tend to enjoy songs more when they mean something to the artist. My favorite part is the little rap moment Joshua has where he says "Satan not today." I found that cute lol. Good job as usual. :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/04/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2017 15:48:23(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: JohnnyBBB Go to Quoted Post
Johnny Carter: Joshua I'm so proud of you! I really love this song and it's vibe! It's a great comeback and it hypes up your tour and album release perfectly! I know you got so much to give and once again the song is amazing! The music, the production, the songwriting and it's really a fresh and unique sound!

Joshua: Thank you, baby. I really appreciate your support throughout all of this. You know more than most people just how much getting my music out there really means to me. It has been quite the struggle but everything is finally piecing together and life couldn't be better. Thank you for standing by me and supporting my work. I know I probably drive you crazy with how much I stress out over it haha x

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Elle-Rose: Joshua! I relate to this song on a very strong level. Not entirely sure if that's a healthy thing but hey ho. Certainly the aspect of being young and in love and a little infatuated with somebody. It's not a fun position to be in but I feel like there's a lot of people who have been in that position too. So this song is great and could definitely become helpful to some people. Great stuff! :)

Joshua: I've been in a similar situation but have obviously amplified it for the song. It really isn't fun but add a few guitars and a tropical house inspired drop and delusion and heartbreak can be rather enjoyable, haha! Thank you for your words. I hope that someone does find this song helpful, even if it gives them a wake-up call about how obsessive they're being! Appreciate the support, Elle-Rose :)
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 19/04/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2017 15:52:54(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: I love the buildup for Joshua you've created. You took a character that was essentially "dead" and given him this breath of life, packed with an all new backing story that makes perfect sense with his past. You're great at building backing stories for your characters and it's inspired me over the years to give my characters more depth behind the Faceclaim and just some songs. Aside from that, the song lyrics and description is great. It really ties in to everything Joshua has been dealing with and makes the song seem more true to him and I tend to enjoy songs more when they mean something to the artist. My favorite part is the little rap moment Joshua has where he says "Satan not today." I found that cute lol. Good job as usual. :)

OOC: Thank you so much, Jaime. Back when the character was with the original owner, I was drawn to him even though he didn't hang around long. I think Joshua's often pessimistic views made him stand out against a lot of the other young male acts we have on here who, for the most part, are happy-go-lucky poster boys. I really wanted to take the original basis of Joshua's character and expand on it, taking him to a different level. I know he can be annoying as hell at times but I really enjoy working on his story and developing his character so thank you for recognising his growth lol. I'm glad you like the song too. The rap part is my favourite. It was spontaneous, really. Rather than really focusing on my wordplay and being hard-hitting like Deneil, I thought I'd attempt more "breezy" radio-friendly pop/rap stuff for a change :P Thanks again!

Edited by user 15 April 2017 15:53:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage