logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2020 18:30:44(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Straight On Out”
Artist: Brandon Caulfield
Album: TBA (2020)
Release Date: April 25, 2020
Length: 4:12
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single
Recorded: Blackbird Studios, Nashville, Tennessee – January 2020
Genre: Alternative Rock, Blues, Southern Rock
Label: Southbound Records
Writer(s): B. Caulfield
Producer(s): B. Caulfield, JD Mariner

“Straight On Out” is a song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter 'Brandon Caulfield' taken from his upcoming seventh studio album to be released later this year. It will mark the fourteenth single released in his career since his debut back in 2011. The song serves as the lead single from his upcoming album and marks the beginning of this new era of music, marking his first release of original content since his 2015 album “Wildflowers”. His life has had it's share of ups and downs in the time since that album and the majority of the years since have been spent away from the public eye, initially following the death of his wife Hannah Beth and then the relocation from the spotlight of California to the more slow-paced nature of life on his farm in Nashville, Tennessee where he's focussed on raising his two young children with current girlfriend 'Savannah Haim'.

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Caulfield stated that this song was the track that sparked the inspiration for the entirety of his next album, “I was searching for something a little different for the next album, previously I've tended to just put eleven or twelve of the best songs from the studio sessions together and that would be the record. But when thinking about the next record, I was drawn in to the idea of a theme running throughout.
“Straight On Out” came along and it sparked the idea of an album about relationships, all of the vast emotions that go along with that. (Bob Dylan's) “Blood On The Tracks” is the obvious reference point, but (Joni Mitchell's) “Blue”, (Bruce Springsteen's) “Tunnel of Love” and (Fleetwood Mac's) “Rumors” wouldn't be far behind in terms of thematically. But I wanted the album to have a more laid-back sound, that classic California singer-songwriter sound mixed with elements of Eric Clapton's blues sound is what I was searching for, I also admired the relative simplicity in his lyrics and ability to get his feelings across in as few words as possible. But “Straight On Out” was the first song where I started to see the picture of the album forming in my mind.”

The song was written and recorded by Brandon Caulfield in January 2020 at Blackbird Studios in Nashville, Tennessee and produced by himself and Johnny Deacon Mariner with whom Caulfield has never worked with previously, marking a change for the singer-songwriter who tends to prefer working with a tight group of people that he's known and worked with for years. The pair reportedly first met a couple of years ago and have continually talked about potential projects working together on in the future. The single was released on April 25, 2020 through his own label Southbound Records as a CD Single, Digital Download and 7” Single.

Song Description;

The song begins with a soft drum beat and lead guitar opening with a bluesy vibe, it's relatively soft and mellow as Caulfield delivers it's opening lyrics, “You can walk out whenever it feels right/When there's no use in us crying/If there's something better for you out there tonight/There's no more reason for us to be trying.” which gives the suggestion of a relationship at it's final stages, with Caulfield seemingly resigned to losing his woman and indicating that their relationship isn't worth crying over anymore and that he understands if there's a better option out there for her.

The music amps up slightly as we arrive early at the songs chorus/hook, the blues guitar becoming more prominent as Caulfield continues to sing of their relationship, ”Turn around and walk straight on out,/But darlin' just remember not to look back at me/Your future's ahead of you babe/If this is not part of our destiny then this just wasn't meant to be/But darlin' just remember not to look back at me.” which again indicates that he's trying to make the leaving as easy and painless as possible for the both of them, trying in some way to convince the pair of them that their relationship was possibly not right for either of them and that the potential for true happiness doesn't lie with one another.

The songs soft and mellow instrumentation compliments the songs theme and Caulfield's singing, he delivers the words in a weary and slightly gruff vocal that highlights the potential toll that their relationship has had on them as we reach the next section of the song, the music remaining relatively simplistic in a way that lets the vocals and lyrics shine, ”I've had to learn how to love once again/And somehow you have me wrapped around your little finger/They say that love is such a dangerous game to play/But I've noticed that you don't tend to linger.” which for the first time in the song, seems to suggest an underlying feeling of resentment or bitterness as he references the sort of changes that he's had to make in order to try to make it work and appears to have all been in vain. He also seems to indicate that she has a history of leaving when things get tough and not showing a willingness to stick around and try to make things work out. Preferring the easier option to just walk away.

We then reach the songs chorus once more which is followed by a final hook, ”It's warmer here than it's ever been/This house has become a home/When we remember the state it was in/But I can remove your name from the door/If you don't want this no more.” which shows that although he's stating that he's willing to just let her go and not force her to try to make things work he seems to believe that what they were creating together was something special and that she brought a warmth to his world. He still maintains the idea that if leaving is what she wants then he'll do what's needed to allow her to leave freely and without guilt. It would indicate that he's still very much in love with the woman or the relationship but she's no longer as invested as he is. We're then giving the songs chorus a couple more times before the song fades out to the soft guitar outro.

“Straight On Out”

“You can walk out whenever it feels right,
When there's no use in us crying
If there's something better for you out there tonight
There's no more reason for us to be trying

Turn around and walk straight on out,
But darlin' just remember not to look back at me.
Your future's ahead of you babe
If this is not part of our destiny then this just wasn't meant to be
But darlin' just remember not to look back at me

I've had to learn how to love once again
And somehow you have me wrapped around your little finger
They say that love is such a dangerous game to play
But I've noticed that you don't tend to linger

It's warmer here than it's ever been
This house has become a home
When we remember the state it was in
But I can remove your name from the door
If you don't want this no more

But darlin' just remember not to look back at me”

Credits & Personnel;

CREDITS

Produced by Brandon Caulfield & Johnny Deacon Mariner
Engineered by Frankie Dallas
Recorded at Blackbird Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

Production Manager: Adeline Mulligan
Guitar Tech: Sven Jorgensen
Instrumental Assistant: Lindsay Browning
Executive Producer: Brandon Caulfield & Adeline Mulligan

PERSONNEL

Brandon Caulfield – vocals, guitar, lyrics, production
Flynn McCarthy – bass guitar backing vocals
Anthony Browne - drums, percussion

Johnny Deacon Mariner – producer
Frankie Dallas – engineer
Adeline Mulligan – production manager, executive producer
Sven Jorgensen – guitar tech
Lindsay Browning – instrumental assistant
thanks 6 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 25/04/2020(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 25/04/2020(UTC), snap_itshannah on 25/04/2020(UTC), erich hess on 26/04/2020(UTC), Welat65 on 27/04/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 31/07/2020(UTC)