logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2020 05:47:32(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Released: September 4, 2020 (streaming, digital download), September 18, 2020 (radio airplay)
Recorded: 2020
Studio: Oro y Plata studio (Bozeman, Montana)
Genre: Indie rock
Length: 5:43
Label: Studio 60 Records
Songwriter(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez
Producer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez

"In Hate We Trust, USA" is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez and his first release since March 2016. It was entirely written and produced by Hernandez himself. The single was released through Studio 60 Records for streaming and digital download on September 4, 2020 and for radio airplay on September 18, 2020. According to the record label, the delay in radio release was due to a delay in the censored version. Hernandez was adamant in any clean version only censoring curse words, but not any topic touched upon. "In Hate We Trust, USA" marks the first politically-charged song in Hernandez's discography, many considering it a protest song due to its blunt commentary on police brutality and racism, among other subject matters. The artwork features a photograph during the fallout of George Floyd's death at the hands of Minneapolis Police Department, when protesters took over and set fire to the 3rd Police Precinct where the officers worked.

After its debut at the 2020 Fan Choice Awards and its subsequent release, the song was met with critical acclaim, many praising it for its blunt uncensored songwriting approach on current racial issues and directly calling out the Trump administration for fostering a safe haven for it. Many critics saw it as a surprising change of pace for an artist who has typically avoided speaking publicly about such subject matters. There have been many radio stations in the deep south of the United States who have refused to play the song.

The day after Hernandez's live performance at the FCAs, Trump supporters and Blue Lives Matter members were protesting outside of his Montana property. While not directly referring to the incident, shortly after Hernandez made a post on his Instagram account officially announcing "In Hate We Trust, USA" as a forthcoming single. He was also photographed landing at LAX a few days later wearing a Joe Biden and Kamala Harris campaign t-shirt. In that same post, Ryan Ross Hernandez also shared that 100% of the proceeds will be donated to various organizations working towards systemic change, social justice and police reform in America, later to be confirmed as Color of Change, Campaign Zero, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and The Bail Project. All proceeds will be divided evenly among the four.

Background and composition

"In Hate We Trust, USA" is an anthemic, slow-building indie-rock song, led by a stripped-down arrangement of a soft-spoken piano, a repeated drum beat throughout, and a rock-tempo guitar riff. The production also includes a marching band-like drum line coming into play during the bridge and guitar solo from Hernandez in the closing minute of the song. Hernandez's vocals start and gentle but pick up as the song progresses, the bridge and final pre-chorus and chorus feature the singer singing loudly, in an almost angry tone. The lyrics are built around Hernandez acknowledging white privilege, touching upon his own experiences with police officers, while also bringing up his childhood growing up in Boston, Massachusetts. The latter of which the 42 year old musician has rarely spoken about in the past. At other points in the song, he specifically refers to George Floyd's death at the hands of Minneapolis Police Department and the chorus calls out racism, toxic patriotism, sexism, and homophobia. It is the first song Hernandez releases that was entirely recorded in his home studio called Oro y Plata (Gold and Silver), named after the Montana state motto.

IN HATE WE TRUST, USA

Let’s take a trip down memory lane for a minute if I may
It was the spring of ‘91 and I was walking home from school
I was a quiet kid who kept to himself
I didn’t have many friends ‘cause most of my days were spent locked away in my room playing guitar
I saw some assholes push a kid to the ground and kick his ass
They called him a fucking faggot just ‘cause he listened to different music and wore a lot of pink to class

They were some kids who lived on the better part of town in a neighborhood where everybody looks alike
The world is at their feet and they could never be wrong
That’s what their parents instilled in them
It’s just what they learned from their parents too
They see nothing wrong with how dangerous it is to teach hate and prejudice

Most of those kids I grew up with now have children of their own
They never left the same town where they felt safe
They all married within their own race
The entire family goes to church on Sunday mornings
The same one where the archbishop covered up the pastor's pedophilia case some thirty years ago
Can you show me the Bible that approves of that behavior?

I thought most of us had stride to be a better person
How wrong was I to think that?
When these days people are still getting beaten and killed ‘cause of race and sexuality
You should probably check again your faith if it taught you to be an asshole

All the children that lost a parent
All the parents that lost a child
All ‘cause the color of their skin was hated by some racist fucks
The same who keep waving confederate flags when they have no idea what they even stand for
It’s all about pride in this country
Nobody wants to be told what to do or lose their right to bear arms
Cops are trying to start a war with every senseless murder of another black person
In the stolen land of the free
Only if you’re white will you feel safe leaving your house
Only if you’re white will you have no trouble here

Driving back home with a few drinks in my system
It was a quarter after three in the morning
I hear the sirens behind me and see the cop car through my rearview mirror
They pull me over to side of the road and I kept my hands on the wheel
They didn’t even ask me to take a breathalyzer test
They told me to slow down by ten miles and gave me a smile as they waked off
Only ‘cause the color of my skin did not scare them

For eight minutes and forty-six seconds we watched a white man kneel on the windpipe of a black man
Until the soul of that son, that father, that friend, that human faded away before our eyes
And if you’re not pissed off about it, you’re clearly not listening and you don’t care
‘Cause it does not directly affect you
You were born with the right color skin

When these days people are still getting beaten and killed ‘cause of race and sexuality

The same who keep waving confederate flags when they have no idea what they even stand for
Cops are trying to start a war with every senseless murder of another black person

All you achieved with your rhetoric was making hate acceptable
A safe space for every racist, every misogynist, every xenophobe
They see you as a protector for all their fucked up values
People are dying, people are killed
But you’re too busy playing fucking golf
The sight of a MAGA hat makes me sick to my stomach
It shows that all you trust in is hate
In hate is all we trust, America

Credits and personnel

Ryan Ross Hernandez - vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, songwriter, producer
Ashley Perry - vocals (background), synthesizer
Oliver McMahon - drums, percussion
Alexa J. Ryland - bass
Christopher Draper - engineer, mixer

---

Comparable To:

Edited by user 17 October 2020 06:39:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 18/09/2020(UTC), erich hess on 18/09/2020(UTC), FiveT on 18/09/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 18/09/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 18/09/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 19/09/2020(UTC), snap_itshannah on 20/09/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 23/09/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 23/09/2020(UTC), Welat65 on 26/09/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2020 01:15:12(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Joshua: Oh how I have missed you Mr Hernandez! I was blown away by this during its live premiere at the FCA and I'm elated now that I finally own this. This song cuts deep and I'm sure it's going to touch a nerve with a certain group of people who either deny the themes explored in this song or relish in them. Either way, fuck them and fuck the system we're living in. I'd say continue to be loud in your message and keep on pushing but I'm sure you don't need any reminding. Wonderful song. Extremely poignant.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 2 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 23/09/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 17/10/2020(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2020 03:38:29(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Amazing lyrics and wonderful song overall :) I really liked that the lyrics weren't really sugarcoated, there weren't like hidden metaphors, it was straight and to the point which I think this topic is very deserving of. It really shows that when you really sit and think about all that's happening, there's really no way to gloss over it and get the message across.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 2 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 23/09/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 17/10/2020(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2020 03:58:13(UTC)
2001clay

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Tika Mays: Ahh this song gave me tears already again & Love the song by the way

OCC: Love it
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
PANIC! on 17/10/2020(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2020 04:37:10(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Joshua: Oh how I have missed you Mr Hernandez! I was blown away by this during its live premiere at the FCA and I'm elated now that I finally own this. This song cuts deep and I'm sure it's going to touch a nerve with a certain group of people who either deny the themes explored in this song or relish in them. Either way, fuck them and fuck the system we're living in. I'd say continue to be loud in your message and keep on pushing but I'm sure you don't need any reminding. Wonderful song. Extremely poignant.

RRH: Thank you for the kind remarks, Joshua! I felt it was important to put everything I am feeling about the current state of things in the US and beyond into a song, in a very unfiltered, blunt matter. I might not get much airplay in Alabama but fuck it! I don't care. The system needs to change until everyone is on the same playing field and until that happens I'll keep playing this song at every damn show I play. Thank you again, it means a lot coming from you. I have a great deal of respect for you as an artist and otherwise.

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Amazing lyrics and wonderful song overall :) I really liked that the lyrics weren't really sugarcoated, there weren't like hidden metaphors, it was straight and to the point which I think this topic is very deserving of. It really shows that when you really sit and think about all that's happening, there's really no way to gloss over it and get the message across.

OOC: Thank you so much! There is a second version of this song where I did try to make it more of censored, metaphorical journey, and I just did not connect with it nearly as much as this. I currently live in Minneapolis, so the fallout of George Floyd's death really hit close to home. I wrote this probably a few days after everything happened while it was all still fresh and then I just incorporated other social issues that are still relevant unfortunately.

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Tika Mays: Ahh this song gave me tears already again & Love the song by the way

OCC: Love it

RRH: Thank you. It wasn't an easy song to write and I can't perform it lightheartedly, but it's a necessary message that it carries and that's what I'm most proud about it. If someone can sit down and listen to it for those six minutes and be impacted by it and be a product of change, that's my goal.

OOC: Thanks!
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 24/09/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 24/09/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2020 05:58:47(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Brandon: As always this is a feat of musical triumph, the guitar solo, the anthemic drum line, the seamless transition between soft and mournful vocal delivery style to the pissed off and scathing delivery towards it's finale. I think those aspects can often get lost to a casual fan, but it's the nuances that make a song or an artist great. Beyond the stellar musicianship that we've all come to expect is something truly special, however. You've delivered a protest song that doesn't hit on key phrases and repeated choruses but instead gets to the heart of the matter in a story that feels so personal to yourself but so universal to us all.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
PANIC! on 25/09/2020(UTC)