logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2021 04:45:03(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

UserPostedImage

Our NME cover start this month is none other than upcoming singer-songwriter Zion.
The singer opens up about how he got his late start in a competitive business, singing on
to Freenerd Management, industry politics, ending his 15 year marriage and his upcoming
studio album "Zodiac Signs".

ICE BREAKER WITH ZION

Favorite Color: Black
Morning person or night owl: Night Owl
Digital Albums or Vinyl: Vinyl
Coffee or Energy Drink: Coffee
Coca Cola or Pepsi: Coca Cola
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Favorite Instrument: Piano
Favorite song at the moment: Drake - "Doing it Wrong"
Favorite album at the moment: Masego - Lady Lady
Karaoke Song Choice: PRÓXIMO - "Light It Up"
Celebrity Crush: The "Legit Don't Like U" Chick on Instragram
Pineapple on Pizza: Go to hell.
R&B or Pop: Both?
Netflix or Hulu: Netflix and Chill
Twitter or Instagram: Instagram
CBB or Survivor: CBB
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Favorite Sex Position: "Get you Pregnant"

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ZION THE KING

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"In the eyes of an executive I'm getting a late start but I'm only getting started. There's a long road ahead and I'm ready to bring the storm". - Zion

Raised in Detroit, Michigan, Zion King wasn't your typical Hollywood bound aspiring singer. Growing up in a church community and strict religious parents King spent most of his upbringing in a grounded mental state working behind the scenes at local weddings and church events. It wasn't until late 2010's that he realized that being an artist was his ultimate aspiration.

Zion:

"I think the hardest part about this is that I grew up in a very religious home but I sort of fell out of that in my 20's. I believe in God, just don't have an attachment to religion like I did when I was younger. I felt trapped but becoming my own person was liberating. I sort of became a rebel to my past and I think that's why some of my music will have aggression because I never got to explore that when I was younger. Being in my 30's and soon going into my 40's, I think its important to be your own person. I don't want to live life in regret".

It wasn't until 2020, that Zion was discovered by industry veteran Daniel The Freenerd and signed on to his management company Freenerd Management.
Zion

"It definitely feels surreal but I guess he saw something in me that maybe other people didn't. However, more importantly I know what I see for myself. There are so many ideas floating in my head that I want to execute and being my own boss is also very beneficial."

Before that could even happen, Zion did have many growing pains to face. Growing up in Detroit, Zion held his first job at McDonalds as a cashier. Growing up Zion was always passionate about playing the keyboards. Living in a low income area of the city, Mr. King often struggled to find the resources to pursue his passion.

Zion

"I had an idea that I wanted to be a singer when I was 5 years old. That's when I picked up the keyboard and decided I wanted to learn music. Learning music and wanting to play music are two different things. You really have to put in work to learn music. However, it wasn't until I was in my 30's that I decided I wanted to be an artist. I grew up in church and that was really frowned upon. I was always working behind the booth but not on the microphone because I never felt like I had it when I was younger which is ironic. I just remember using the little bit of my paycheck to save up for decent equipment. It was a real struggle back in the days but I somehow made it work. While kids were saving up for a PlayStation, I was saving up for a Yamaha."

After struggling to make ends meet at his hometown in Detroit, Zion pursued the idea of relocating to California to earn a possible record deal with a major record label despite very little change sitting in his bank account. Moving to California in his 30's to pursue a singing career, Zion faced many more no's than ye's. Auditioning for American Idol over 6 times but not making the cut, King's self confidence was effected by ageism and colorism in the industry.

Zion

"Being told no is hard especially when you give up everything to have to try to make your dreams a reality. But each no made me work harder. I think my love for music is what keeps me going because I always told myself I'd do this even if it was just for a hobby. I guess the older you are the harder it is. I got a late start so I didn't necessarily expect for things to be smooth and easy for me but I know I have a lot to offer and I don't want that to go to waste".

As far as being discovered, I was doing a showcase with literally a few hundreds in my bank account and Daniel just happened to be there when I was performing. At first he is this very shy but serious guy so I didn't think anything of him or even recognized it was him. After my performance he walked up to me and told me who he was and I was completely taken away. Patience is a virtue because our deal took nearly 7 months before I could even sign. Once you get to know Daniel you realize he's not shy at all. He just doesn't play all of his cards on the table when you first meet him, which I think is really interesting."

Upon signing with Freenerd Managment, Zion got to work right away on his official first studio album which is titled "Zodiac Signs". The album is expected to be released early Summer of 2021 but no official date has been chosen. The concept album is based around Zodiac signs and each song will represent a different Zodiac. The first lifted from the set is titled "Rocketship". A song that blends contemporary R&B, trap beats and jazz; forming a uniqure rendition of the Quiet Storm R&B genre that saw its renaissance in the 80's.

Zion

"I do actually believe in astrology because I think we do have a connection with space and the stars as loony as that sounds. It provides a spectrum of energy and we all gravitate towards depending on our upbringing, religion and other things. I'm very spiritual in that aspect but to answer your question I wanted to make an album about love but make it interesting. So many love albums out there but come on what exactly is going to set me apart from all fo the thousands that are out there? Now that I'm given an actual shot at this, I had to sit down and really think of a concept but it wasn't until Daniel met with me and we started doing some sessions together. Daniel came up with the concept once I presented Rocketship.

UserPostedImage

"Work ethic is something I take serious. Everything I do I have to give 1,000%. I don't want anything I put out to be lackluster. I have very high expectations for myself and so should the people that listen to my songs."

With Rocketship blasting off at a respectable pace in the streaming world; people are starting to see what sets Zion apart by bringing forward somewhat of an experimental approach to R&B. The song's sexual innuendos evoke a world of fantasy for the singer but the singer promises there will be more personal cuts on the project. After a failed relationship of 15 years, the singer has a lot of pain to deflect on some of his songs. After posting what some may consider "thirst trap" pictures on Instagram , the singer has made it very evident that he is single and ready to mingle but with an album in the works, the singer doesn't want to lose focus on what's most important to him right now; the music.
Zion

"Blending fantasy and real life is what I enjoy doing with my music. With this album, It's a bit of both. I did just get divorced about two years ago. Being in a marriage for almost 15 years and getting off one can be just as painful as it is liberating. I almost forgot what dating was like. I felt a sense of guilt going on my first date post divorce. Just taking all of that pain, it's definitely being reflected on some of the songs. Some songs are more deep in that aspect but some songs like "Rocketship" are more playful and experimental. I'm still working on the album so I don't want to speak too soon on what it's going to be like because that changes on a weekly basis. As far me dating, I definitely want to date right now because I'm finally in a place where I feel I have moved on."

With the album in the works, Mr. King makes it very clear that this album will be about showing different sides to him with minimal contributions from not too many collaborators. With Daniel The Freenerd serving as Executive Producer for the project, there isn't much physical engineering involvement from Daniel but as a creative fuel he is taking the project to its fullest potential.

Zion

"For this project there might be one or two collaborations. There is one particular artist I'm having conversations with but I don't want to reveal who that person is just yet. I definitely want there to be some kind of mystery in the project now that we know the album title.

However, there is one collaboration in particular that I can say and that's the one with Daniel. He's so heavily involved in the project even as an executive, he wants to hear every note and every lyric. I find that really dope because I know that he is interested in the development of the music and not just whether I can craft a couple of hit songs."

With the project's lead single heading a good start, pressure is on for the singer to release more music. Zion plans on releasing a string of singles before the project is officially released, but with industry politics at play and being an independent act; Zion is faced with a empty roadmap for the future if his music kicks off into the mainstream.

Zion

"I guess what may be confusing to some people is that I'm actually not signed to a major record label. Freenerd Management is my management company not my record label. I think for me, I don't feel like I need a big machine behind me to get my music out but I'm not ruling that out. It's a personal choice and not to take anything away from an artist that's signed to a major record label but I feel that where I'm at in my career this is perfect way of doing things. I think for me I still want the industry guidance which is why I'm not completely independent."

UserPostedImage

"Staying focused is what's important. I'm ready to welcome people to the world of Zion".

_______________________________________________________________________________________

ZION - FOCUS (H.E.R. COVER) LIVE AT FREENERD STUDIOS

"Focus" Lyrics

Me
Can you focus on me?
Baby, can you focus on me?
Babe

Hands in the soap
Have the faucet's running
And I keep looking at you
Stuck on your phone
And you're stuck in your zone
You don't have a clue

But I don't wanna give up
Baby, I just want you to get up
Lately I've been a little fed up
Wish you would just focus on

Me
Can you focus on me?
Me
Me
Can you focus on me?

Lazy and broke?
No, he get this money
So I guess I can't complain
But I feel alone even when we're alone
And that don't cost a thing

But I don't wanna give up
Baby, I just want you to get up
Lately I've been a little fed up
Wish you would just focus on

Me
Can you focus on me?
Baby
Me
Can you focus on me?
Me

Baby, focus
Can't you see?
I just wanna love you, baby
Look me in my eyes

thanks 9 users thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
2001clay on 03/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 03/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 03/03/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 03/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 03/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 03/03/2021(UTC), FiveT on 03/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 20/04/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2021 01:15:12(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Ashford York: Zion, color me intrigued, my friend. I think this article puts you across in a great light and it seems to me like you're an artist with a lot of experience in your life to draw upon and somebody that could and I'm sure will be hugely powerful and influential throughout your career. I feel like there's a lot of depth there and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what you produce, I feel like "Rocketship" is just a taster and can't wait to see where you go with this.

OOC: Great work on this, I think it was a perfect way to introduce a new character!
Offline RadioVine  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2021 06:38:10(UTC)
RadioVine

Was thanked: 1056 time(s) in 339 post(s)
Radio: I remember when I first met you at the office, you had this suave thing going on which I thought was really strange... made me a little uncomfortable like a little sister. I was disgusted.. then when I actually heard you sing, I was no longer focused on your perfect little abs and that charming smile.. fuck all of that. Just sing to me. Congratulations brother from another mother. Love you.

OOC: Love the direction you going with Zion. The whole aesthetic of his personality is dope!
UserPostedImage

PRE SAVE NOW!

#4 Posted : 05 April 2021 19:35:47(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Originally Posted by: RadioVine Go to Quoted Post
Radio: I remember when I first met you at the office, you had this suave thing going on which I thought was really strange... made me a little uncomfortable like a little sister. I was disgusted.. then when I actually heard you sing, I was no longer focused on your perfect little abs and that charming smile.. fuck all of that. Just sing to me. Congratulations brother from another mother. Love you.

OOC: Love the direction you going with Zion. The whole aesthetic of his personality is dope!

Zion: I don’t do white girls but you cool.

ooc: thank you!
#5 Posted : 14 April 2021 05:02:34(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Ashford York: Zion, color me intrigued, my friend. I think this article puts you across in a great light and it seems to me like you're an artist with a lot of experience in your life to draw upon and somebody that could and I'm sure will be hugely powerful and influential throughout your career. I feel like there's a lot of depth there and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what you produce, I feel like "Rocketship" is just a taster and can't wait to see where you go with this.

OOC: Great work on this, I think it was a perfect way to introduce a new character!

Zion: Thank you Ashford! Honestly coming into this there were many approaches I could of taken and I'm happy with the one I chose. I definitely want my music to speak for itself without all the bells and whistles but at the same time I don't want to be a bore or become some forgotten singer. I'm in it for the long haul, so comments like yours definitely keep me motivated and you got that right. Rocketship is definitely an appetizer to the album. I'm looking forward to releasing some tracks very soon. It would mean the world if you heard them and gave me your honest critique.

OOC: I'm definitely having fun with Zion. He's an older cat with a suave like mentality and I kind of like to tap into that side of me a bit haha It's definitely something I haven't approached on here prior to him.