logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2021 08:00:21(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19112 time(s) in 7584 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Layla, Younghood
Title: Some Kind of Magic
Genre(s): Pop, Hip-Hop, Electronic
Length: 3:34
Writers: L.Sanchez, Younghood
Producer: Orion Washington
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: Feel No Fear

Some Kind of Magic is a song by American singer-songwriter Layla Sanchez, now known simply as Layla. The song was released worldwide on August 29th, 2021 and serves as the third single from Sanchez's long-awaited debut studio album, "Feel No Fear". "Some Kind of Magic" follows the globally-successful collaboration with Joshua Grimmie, "Forbidden Honey". The overwhelming success of the single alongside the tragic overdose of her singing partner caused Layla to halt any further releases, resulting in a small 6 month hiatus. "Some Kind of Magic" was originally written as a solo track in late 2020. Younghood wouldn't be brought to the project until early 2021, with Sanchez believing that the song needed "another voice", personally reaching out to Younhood, finding the rapper to be the "perfect fit". Production of the track was handled by Orion Washington, who also produced and co-wrote Sanchez's #1 comeback single, "No Trouble in Paradise".

"Some Kind of Magic" is a pop song with elements of hip hop and electronic music incorporated throughout. Unlike previous collaboration, "Forbidden Honey" which boasted a more duo-style delivery of the vocals, "Some Kind of Magic" sees Layla belt and power her way through most of the experimental electronic-cum-hip-hop bassline as a lone-ranger until Younghood makes his appearance towards the latter half of the track. Lyrically, the song reflects on people who seemingly bring nothing but negative energy and have an unhealthy obsession with trying to tear others day. Layla's parts appear to be based on an ex-lover whilst Younghood focuses on industry peers and fake friends. Since it's premier, fans and critics were quick to assume that the lyrics were a direct reference to ex-boyfriend and fellow singer, Austin Nimmo. Sanchez, however, disproved such claims in the official press release of the single, claiming that the official idea of the song was inspired by online trolls and that the subject matter was switched in order to make the song more "universal".

Layla wrote:
"First of all, I just want to say that it was SUCH an honor to work with Younghood. I think he's one of the finest talents we have in the business today and I feel like people are slowly recognising that, which is wonderful. After I completed the track, I just knew that it needed another voice. Something to give it a little more oomph and a different perspective. Younghood was the first and only choice, really. I could hear him on the beat. When I reached out to him, I was so stoked when he agreed. I hadn't even fully collected myself and he floored me again when he came back with his part which felt like almost instantaneously! He was a real professional and the enthusiasm he brought to the project really made it feel alive. I knew as soon as I heard his verse that the song was well and truly ready."

"The song was inspired by a really crappy time I was having online. I was scared to check messages, notifications, and post anything out of fear of being attacked for like...existing! Then I reminded myself; "Uh, this project is titled 'Feel No Fear', girl! Come on!'. Writing really took the power back. Now I just laugh when I see stupid things aimed at me. It's never anything with any grounds. All these anonymous profiles with pictures of other celebrities throwing all kinds of unwarranted hatred towards me...it's bizarre. Go focus on the person in your avi and share some light and love on them. Don't get the odd obsession with me or indeed other friends of mine who seem to get it bad. That was the basis of the song. You claim to hate my guts but you ACTIVELY come searching for me. Must be some kind of magic, baby!"

"I know that a lot of people are going to be asking 'WHO HURT YOU?!' when the song drops but it's honestly not about a relationship. That part's fictitious. I just embellished and improvised the subject matter so that more people could relate. It's more universal. Unless you're a pop recording artist or an avid part of Stan Twitter, you can't really relate to being harassed by hundreds of accounts with Billy Khan and Isabel as their display pics!"

Critical reception of the song has been relatively positive thus far. Annie Lowe of Billboard called the track an "empowering, self-assured, bad-ass anthem" and that it "cements Layla as the powerful, strong woman she is today, effectively killing off that bow-wearing, deer-in-the-headlights, "why can't we all just be friends?" persona she had going in the 2010's." Writing for Idolator, Cain Davison stated that 'Some Kind of Magic' is "an exquisite collaboration that highlights the talents of both artists", going on to praise the production by adding; "the buzzing beats and hip-hop bassline merge perfectly to create a truly unique track yet does it so subtly that the song still easily slides into mainstream radio stations and playlists with the greatest ease." Elliot Johnson of The Fader praised the song alongside the decision to feature Younghood, writing; "Layla is not a pretentious artist. She's not trying to change the face of pop music. She certainly has a good ear for what works, however, and as a result, always keeps things fresh".. He went on to describe Younghood's verse as "impeccable" and "timely", adding; "just when the song begins to run the risk of sounding like any other modern trap-pop ditty by the second chorus, Younghood erupts with much gusto and adds a new flavor." Gina Harries of Entertainment Weekly was less enthusiastic, however, writing "it is simply an 'OK' song but ultimately falls flat with little replay value.". Harries also went on to unfavorably compare it to her previous single; "following on from "Forbidden Honey" (already a pop classic, pretty much) was always going to be a huge feat in itself. The buzzy sonics of "Some Kind of Magic" seem trend-chasing and lacks the heart of her previous collaboration, however. Ironically, this follow-up lacks the magic that "Forbidden Honey" captured perfectly."

"SOME KIND OF MAGIC"

Layla
Younghood

From the stories you tell,
Seems you're under a spell,
Must be a living hell

So go ahead and call me evil, a psycho
How I'm out there shaking your tightrope
Quick to say you hate me
But I'm always on your mind though
So go ahead and call me crazy, a real bitch
Thorn in your side, a stubborn itch
How every waking moment is so tragic
Yet you're craving my attention
Baby, this must be some kind of magic

Still lurking in your favorite hiding spot
By now I thought that you'd have given up
Pulling moves when the music clearly stopped
Dissecting my words as soon as they drop
I'm not the one with the bad intentions
Just trynna get on with my reinvention

Didn't some take that spot next to you?
Why are you so hung up on my every move?
Pouring salt all over your own wounds
About time you stop pressing on that bruise

Quick to say you hate me

In my story, you were never the villain
But I guess things can always be rewritten
Another day, another fond memory you're killing
Sure this isn't what we ever envisioned
I never wanted us to end up as enemies
But you're making it harder to fake these niceties

Now between us lies a great divide
Don't think it'll ever see a sunrise
Sure it's lonely over on the other side
Maybe you should learn to pay no mind?

Quick to say you hate me

Alright Layla, let me break it down right quick.
Make sure they get the picture

Imagine you come from a city that’s an urban jungle
Steel and metal, with everyone ready to watch you crumble
Some friends just around when it’s right,
Trying to get groupies smashed in out of town city nights
Don’t be around when shit hits, they got to be fresh and clean
But things going well, bandwagon, pom poms leading the team
They’ll smile in your face and bring you roses full of thorns
While when your back is turn, they bad mouth you, fueled with scorn
Like it’s their spot you’ve taken, they hot for you make’n
It's not cool, you the fool for not bending the knee,
And kiss the ring - They helped this thing
And shame on you for not following through
They deserve the credit when it due,
But, you only popping if a hater got something say
So I laugh, at the comments and continue on with my day
Trolls lived under bridges, clutching their keyboards
Stay down there while my name is the marquee breaking records

Quick to say you hate me

Must be a living hell

Must be a living hell

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 30/08/2021(UTC), erich hess on 30/08/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 30/08/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 30/08/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 30/08/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 30/08/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 31/08/2021(UTC), kandii on 02/09/2021(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 09/09/2021(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2021 10:21:57(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Liam Russell: Aah shit it's all over because you my friend had me singing to this song while i was driving so to be honest i love this song & Younghood aye you killed it bro you done it!

Fatima Amari: Layla girlie this song is wicked & i like wicked so i'm impress & good job!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 2 users thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 30/08/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 30/08/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2021 17:28:33(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Ashford: Layla, I absolutely cannot wait for your debut solo record. It feels like it's been a long time coming but that's what anticipation does to you, it manipulates traditional ideas of time. But the build has been a steady process and I feel like it's been done right, every single you've put out so far has shown the different aspects to your abilities and creativity and to have this one see you work alongside a titan of Hip-Hop in the form of Younghood and hold your own shows just how versatile you are. Vocals are insane, confident and assured but lyrically I feel like you've shed the final parts of your skin left from your SYNCO days, the confidence in the lyrical content, it's anthemic nature and self-assured aspect that flows throughout will no doubt make people view you in a different light.

I believe I've said previously that I feel like you have the brightest future ahead of you in the industry, wherever you decide to take your career. This just adds to that idea, builds on foundations that you've already started creating and I can't wait to see the journey unfold. Amazing work on this one, by both yourself and the best rapper in the game right now in Younghood.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 01/09/2021(UTC)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2021 04:50:00(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1322 time(s) in 637 post(s)
OOC: You did those lyrics boo, awesome sound alike btw!

Tisha: Okay Ms. girl.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 02/09/2021(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2021 08:04:30(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
BitchWat: Wait..... you just went the fuck off. Wait....I was NOT expecting this. Give us cunty sis!! Honestly, Bitch Wat loves songs that aren't predictable. Bitch Wat loves edgy and this just checked off all boxes. I stan this track and it might just be my favorite track of yours so far. I like how it's a change from the previous singles you've done and Young Hood went off as well. Drag the girls sis!!!

OOC: Lyrics go off and I like the change here in terms of sound for Layla. It's really exciting. Great work :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 05/09/2021(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2021 01:53:40(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Ezra: At this point there's no way for you to not drop a hit, Layla!! We love a queen that changes up her sound and is not afraid to try something new, successfully at that! You did what you have to do.
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/09/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2021 22:30:15(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Liam Russell: Aah shit it's all over because you my friend had me singing to this song while i was driving so to be honest i love this song & Younghood aye you killed it bro you done it!

Fatima Amari: Layla girlie this song is wicked & i like wicked so i'm impress & good job!

Layla: Thank you both so much for the lovely words! Just don't get too carried away whilst driving lol!

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Ashford: Layla, I absolutely cannot wait for your debut solo record. It feels like it's been a long time coming but that's what anticipation does to you, it manipulates traditional ideas of time. But the build has been a steady process and I feel like it's been done right, every single you've put out so far has shown the different aspects to your abilities and creativity and to have this one see you work alongside a titan of Hip-Hop in the form of Younghood and hold your own shows just how versatile you are. Vocals are insane, confident and assured but lyrically I feel like you've shed the final parts of your skin left from your SYNCO days, the confidence in the lyrical content, it's anthemic nature and self-assured aspect that flows throughout will no doubt make people view you in a different light.

I believe I've said previously that I feel like you have the brightest future ahead of you in the industry, wherever you decide to take your career. This just adds to that idea, builds on foundations that you've already started creating and I can't wait to see the journey unfold. Amazing work on this one, by both yourself and the best rapper in the game right now in Younghood.

Layla: Oh it has been a long time coming for sure! It'll be terrifying when it's out but such a relief in the same breath. A lot has gone into the creation and release structure alone never mind all the chaos behind the scenes over the last...five years? Crazy! Thank you so much for the compliments. I'm truly touched, humbled and greatly appreciative of your kind words. On the surface, "Some Kind of Magic" is just a typical catchy kiss-off anthem but it holds much more weight than that and I'm glad you've picked up on it. I always respect your comments, advice and opinions as you really seem to know what you're talking about as well as actually caring. I care a lot about this upcoming album and it's wonderful knowing that there are other people out there who will nurture the project with the same care as you do. Thank you, Ashford!

Originally Posted by: TishaJackson!!!! Go to Quoted Post
OOC: You did those lyrics boo, awesome sound alike btw!

Tisha: Okay Ms. girl.

OOC: Thank you so much!! :)

Layla: OMG QUEEN!! ❤️❤️
UserPostedImage

Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2021 22:34:10(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
BitchWat: Wait..... you just went the fuck off. Wait....I was NOT expecting this. Give us cunty sis!! Honestly, Bitch Wat loves songs that aren't predictable. Bitch Wat loves edgy and this just checked off all boxes. I stan this track and it might just be my favorite track of yours so far. I like how it's a change from the previous singles you've done and Young Hood went off as well. Drag the girls sis!!!

OOC: Lyrics go off and I like the change here in terms of sound for Layla. It's really exciting. Great work :)

Layla: Whoa, I suddenly feel...cool?! Hehe! Honestly, I didn't even go into the studio with the aim of creating an 'edgy' track. I just went about it like any other session and pulled this from deep within my soul. I guess there really is an edgy, angsty girl trapped in there and this was her kicking out!! Hoping this becomes an anthem for other girlies who have had enough!

OOC: Thank you so much! You know yourself how much of a struggle it was to finally get this song out lmao. Glad it has gone down well haha

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
Ezra: At this point there's no way for you to not drop a hit, Layla!! We love a queen that changes up her sound and is not afraid to try something new, successfully at that! You did what you have to do.

Layla: Oh wow, thank you Ezra! No pressure for the next single then, huh? hehe! So glad you like it and there's also many other new vibes on the album to come!! :)
UserPostedImage

Offline PANIC!  
#9 Posted : 13 September 2021 02:15:43(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Ryan: Layla don't miss! I love everything about this song. From the inspiration and writing itself to the vocals to the smart usage of a feature to the mashup of different sounds. It all tangles up neatly and creates a memorable song. Nobody can accuse you of remaining in one space because you are so versatile. Also, if you are ever trolled by an account with my dumb face on it, I will personally track them down and kick their shins.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 13/09/2021(UTC)