logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2022 18:49:58(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Drunk In Brooklyn”
Artist: VANDALS
Release Date: October 15, 2022
Format: Digital Download, Streaming, Airplay, 7” Single. CD Single, Cassette
Recorded: Summer 2022 - Studio60 Recording Studios, West Hollywood, California, USA
Genre: Indie-Pop, Alternative Pop
Length: 4:52
Label: Studio60 Records
Producer(s): Jonas Haaland
Writer(s): Danielle Leone-Wilde, Jonas Haaland

“Drunk in Brooklyn” is a song by American pop duo ‘VANDALS’, consisting of singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Jonas Haaland and singer-songwriter Danielle Leone-Wilde. It follows the 2021 promo single “Sunday Night Smoke Signals” which served as an introduction to the duo following their signing to ‘Studio60 Records’. The melodic and atmospheric dream-wave influenced instrumentation giving fans an opportunity to understand what to expect from the duo in future releases and the song found itself peaking at number six on the Airplay Charts and receiving some critical praise within the industry. Although it may not have taken the industry by storm it did garner a buzz around the duo and has helped them to establish an intrigued and expectant fanbase, with the track racking up streams in the year since it’s release. During that period, they have been hard at work on what is set to become their debut album with the majority of which very close to being finished with a potential release date announcement imminent.

During the period of recording the album, the duo opted not to release any follow-up tracks, preferring to keep their focus on the task at hand which was the completion of the record. Deciding that once the record is finished, they can then look at building towards it’s release with singles, singer-songwriter Jonas Haaland stated his past observations as to part of the reason for the lack of content, “I’ve been lucky to work on projects for Studio60 Records artists in the past couple of years and one thing I noticed was how disruptive a single roll-out could be when those artists were still in the studio recording for that very same record. The reaction from their fans and mostly critics would then inform what they’re doing in the studio which to me, led to disjointed releases more often than not. Obviously that’s just conjecture on my part, but that’s the take-away that I got from some of my work in the studio.”

The hype for the duo thus far has been relatively low-key and any momentum built with their promo single has since faded, seemingly a conscious decision by all those involved in the progress of the duo. Their social-media accounts have remained unused since the initial release of their promo single up until Tuesday 11th October, 2022 where singer-songwriter Danielle Leone-Wilde posted an image of the tracks cover art, a grainy image of the female singer with her head leaning out of the passenger side window with the neon backdrop of the city behind her accompanied with a caption of the release date “10.15.2022”. Little is known of the duo beyond an initial brief ‘Billboard’ interview following the release of their promo single but with their debut album in post-production and mixing stages it’s been reported that we are likely to see the promotional push for the duo’s debut album step-up in the coming weeks with a winter 2022 release date for their debut record being heavily rumoured as well as a string of supporting singles to help garner buzz around the act.
Promotional copies of the single were sent to radio stations and industry publications ahead of release, in the liner notes included with the physical copies of the single, both artists included a message on the track and their upcoming plans beyond the single;

Jonas Haaland wrote:
“To some it won’t seem like it’s been a long journey that’s been made in order for us to get to this point, after all we’re still a couple of kids and we’re at this juncture where we’re about to be putting out our debut album. But this has been the longest journey for us, more mentally than the actual years behind us and the footsteps travelled but the point remains. I like to think that “Drunk in Brooklyn” encapsulates a lot of elements of what we’re about as a duo, the combination of ambitious and dreamy soundscapes that paint the scene better than our words ever could is something that we believe in strongly in what we do. A musical backdrop that informs the lyrical content is the target that we’ve aimed our arrows towards, whether that has been achieved or not will remain a matter of opinion to you, dear listener.
Lyrically, we aim for the simplistic where we can. This is not always achievable with two minds as manic as ours, but at the very core I’d like to think we come close to delivering something that is relatable to the average twenty-something year old, navigating the very same pitfalls of life that we find ourselves navigating. Namely love, of course love. It’s music at the end of the day and naturally the two go hand in hand, whether you want it to or not. So as we sit here on the edge of what feels like our entire world exploding in front of us or crumbling beneath our feet, I hope this track and the upcoming debut album can be ones that find a home in your own collections. At the very least, they can always become serviceable coasters.”

Danielle Leone-Wilde wrote:
“Nervous as hell. Everything about this moment just feels a little off beat to me, just watching the machine getting behind you. That’s a scary fuckin’ thought to process for anyone. Knowing how much time and effort has been put into this by a whole damn team put’s the fear of God into me. No wonder half of this industry goes batshit crazy. But I can say that I truly believe in what we create, that we create it with the very realest intentions. “Drunk in Brooklyn” along with all of the other tracks that we’ve written for the debut album comes from a real place, a familiar place. The specific details may occasionally be embellished to emphasize the message or the meaning, but the story remains one that hopefully feels familiar.
We write a long of songs from personal moments, good times and bad times and this track is one that is incredibly real. At its core it’s a song about love, it’s about falling out and making up, it’s about the effects of alcohol on our emotions. It’s about contrasting loneliness in very different environments, sat alone at a bar soul-searching or drunk dancing in a room full of strangers knowing that all of them aren’t the one person that you want to be there with you. Jonas keeps on saying that this record feels like a twenty-somethings anthem and when I consider the passion, self-doubt, insecurities and nostalgia that are littered throughout this album I cannot disagree with that statement. This whole process has been a total trip, hope you come along for the ride.”

The track was written by Danielle Leone-Wilde and Jonas Haaland and produced solely by Jonas Haaland, whom also works within Studio60 Records executive ladder as ‘Head of Songwriting’ and ‘Head of Creative’, having previously had minor production roles on a number of Studio60 Record releases. The track was written around the summer of 2021, in the aftermath of officially signing to the label and the release of their debut promo single. The track was recorded and produced at Studio60 Recording Studios in West Hollywood, California with the single set to be released on October 15, 2022 as a Digital Download, 7” Single, CD Single and Cassette which includes promo single “Sunday Night Smoke Signals” as a B-Side. The track will also be made available to Weekly Airplay and will also be available to streaming on all platforms worldwide from the day of release.

Song Description;

The track begins with a keyboard and drums combination, immediately giving energy to the track with the drums providing the majority of the energy and the keyboards adding a cinematic dreamy vibe to the sound, it pushes and pulsates for the first twenty five to thirty seconds to set the initial scene as Danielle sings the opening verse to the song which highlights the pre-drink excitement and energy mixed with a feeling of drowning sorrows from being in the midst of a relationship fall-out that appears to have been a long time coming, she sings with a slightly deep vocal tone, slow and sultry “I’ve got my pre-drinks with my girls, sipping on Grey Goose/Running fashionably late like we always do/Putting my makeup on in the taxi cab using a handheld mirror just praying it ain’t so bad/And I’m just fucking bugging out cause I can’t let it go/Another pointless fight mere hours ago/But this time it’s serious and there’s no more going back/We’ve broken up for the last time/I hope you know that” which paints the picture of the song that is about to unfold. The self-empowered initial feeling of going out drinking with her friends and having a good time, quickly transitioning to thoughts and feelings elsewhere playing on her mind. A situation and feeling that will feel incredibly relatable to this duo’s entire generation.

As we then move into the hook following the opening verse, the sound of the keyboard filters down to very minimal and almost unnoticeable, shifting tone and energy of the song as we’re given just the drum beat that was present throughout the opening verse, Danielle’s vocal’s are accompanied by those of her bandmate Jonas Haaland as he arrives in the song, their voices meshing together well as her brooding delivery is matched with his male vulnerability as she leads the hook with her vocal more prominent, but he adds a faint undertone in the background, “What if I get a taste for this/And hit lucky in the first bar that we party in/And what would you do if you saw me dancing with him/If I hit lucky in the first bar that we party in.” with Jonas’ role in the hook just to add a little vulnerability to the general lyrical tone, initially coming across as a ‘fuck you’ from Danielle to her partner that she’s in the midst of a break-up/argument with but the subtle addition of Jonas’ vocals as harmony and the tones of fragility that can be heard as you listen closer adds an achingly heart-breaking elemental undertone to what seems like a very straightforward hook.

The music remains primarily the drum beat with a very faint hit at the dreamy sound of the keyboards far off in the background. The arrival of Jonas’ vocals in the hook also serve a purpose in slowly introducing him into the song as he follows that up with his own lead verse, one that shows his side to the story and how he opts to react to a major fight or argument. Where Danielle hits up her girls and aims to primarily hit the city’s nightclubs surrounded by drunken behaviour and masses of people, Jonas contrasts this with a local bar where he can quietly sit with a drink and let his mind process what is going on, lyrically the message being posed to the listener is one that how you handle difficult situations in the immediate aftermath is important in the eventual outcome. If you both handle it recklessly then something good has the potential to go away forever, if you handle it with your thoughts, poise and consideration the outcome could be that all is not lost. Jonas highlights the start of this thought process with a vulnerable tone as he delivers his verse, “A stupid fight’s not enough reason to throw the towel in/But I know you’re stubborn so fuck it, I’ll just go along with the games you’re playing/You’ll find me in the corner of my local shitty dive bar/Sitting alone sipping on bourbon and playing Sinatra on the jukebox/When the old boys are playing darts in the corner/And the barman don’t need you to tell him your order/Whiskey with just the one rock/You know, just to take a little of the edge off/And I sit there quietly/Contemplating/Anticipating.” which as stated, shows the contrasting decisions between both people.

This is followed up by the songs hook repeated, sandwiched in-between is a brief verse by Jonas once more, one that serves the purpose to progress the story of the song into it’s final part which is of course the reconciliation, again highlighting how one party dealing with things in a more steady and composed way is enough to salvage something that may have been lost if both had gone down the route that Danielle had chosen. Jonas steps up, his vocals appearing with a little more confidence this time around, the vulnerability replaced with a coolness as he sings, “And I’ve been down this very road before, I know where it leads/The bar closes at eleven thirty/Jacket slung over my shoulder as I walk the overpass that takes me back to our home/You’ll be switching night clubs around this time/I’ll expect a drunken text and an incoherent phone call.” which again, pushes the relatability of this song, making it one that is likely to feel very relatable to their generation.

As we arrive at the final verse of the song, we’re given a vocal trade-off between the pair as they deliver their alternating paths of the evening which eventually lead them back to each other. The verse continues with just primarily the same drum beat with faint background tones from the keyboard, but the sound of the keyboards increase in prominence as the verse progresses and eventually swells to the conclusion of the verse, bringing back that dream-wave type of sound that was heard at the beginning of the song. Danielle opens up the verse with a realisation and clarity that leads her to make the first move in the reconciliation, “My eyesight’s a little fuzzy and the music isn’t so clear/My feet are a little achy from all the dancing/I step outside to clear my head/Sitting alone on the curb outside of the club and my head won’t stop spinning/I pick your name from the contacts in my phone/And you pick up in an instant/Babe, I just wanna come home will you come get me.” without missing a beat, Jonas vocal’s arrive with confirmation “I’m half a block away I’ll be right there/And my heart swells to know in her drunken honesty/I’m the only one she’s thought of.”
It’s around this point where the soundscape of the track is at its highest, the drum beat increasing in intensity and the keyboards matching it perfectly creating what feels like an audio version of the prominent scene from an indie romance film. Danielle continues under the energetic music “And when he walks around the corner with Chinese fast food under his arm/I remember how he’s always there for me/Even when I’m on that crazy manic shit, with anxiety and accusations with no substance.” showing a little more detail into their relationship and how it takes consideration and understanding to make it through the difficult moments. Jonas offers that considerate side simply singing, “I forgive how she falters/We sometimes get wrapped up in it/All this little silly shit.”.
And you find the song wrapped up with a warm and comforting conclusion as the two sing together for one final time with a slightly modified version of the songs hook to close things out, “What if we get a taste for us/Walking through Brooklyn drunk as fuck/Talking shit and reminiscing/Keep your fear of missing out cause there’s nothing we’re missing”.

“Drunk in Brooklyn”
Written by D. Leone-Wilde, J. Haaland

“I’ve got my pre-drinks with my girls, sipping on Grey Goose
Running fashionably late like we always do
Putting my makeup on in the taxi cab using a handheld mirror just praying it ain’t so bad
And I’m just fucking bugging out cause I can’t let it go
Another pointless fight mere hours ago
But this time it’s serious and there’s no more going back
We’ve broken up for the last time
I hope you know that

What if I get a taste for this
And hit lucky in the first bar that we party in
And what would you do if you saw me dancing with him
If I hit lucky in the first bar that we party in

A stupid fight’s not enough reason to throw the towel in
But I know you’re stubborn so fuck it, I’ll just go along with the games you’re playing
You’ll find me in the corner of my local shitty dive bar
Sitting alone sipping on bourbon and playing Sinatra on the jukebox
When the old boys are playing darts in the corner
And the barman don’t need you to tell him your order
Whiskey with just the one rock
You know, just to take a little of the edge off
And I sit there quietly
Contemplating
Anticipating

And I’ve been down this very road before, I know where it leads
The bar closes at eleven thirty
Jacket slung over my shoulder as I walk the overpass that takes me back to our home
You’ll be switching night clubs around this time
I’ll expect a drunken text and an incoherent phone call

My eyesight’s a little fuzzy and the music isn’t so clear
My feet are a little achy from all the dancing
I step outside to clear my head
Sitting alone on the curb outside of the club and my head won’t stop spinning
I pick your name from the contacts in my phone
And you pick up in an instant
Babe, I just wanna come home will you come get me

I’m half a block away I’ll be right there
And my heart swells to know in her drunken honesty
I’m the only one she’s thought of

And when he walks around the corner with Chinese fast food under his arm
I remember how he’s always there for me
Even when I’m on that crazy manic shit, with anxiety and accusations with no substance

I forgive how she falters
We sometimes get wrapped up in it
All this little silly shit

What if we get a taste for us
Walking through Brooklyn drunk as fuck
Talking shit and reminiscing
Keep your fear of missing out cause there’s nothing we’re missing”

Credits & Personnel

CREDITS

Produced by Jonas Haaland
Engineered by Jonas Haaland, Garrett Bennington
Mixed by Emilia Grayson
Recorded at Studio60 Recording Studios, West Hollywood, California, USA

PERSONNEL

Jonas Haaland – vocals, lyrics, keyboards, drums, composition, production, engineering
Danielle Leone-Wilde – vocals, lyrics
Garrett Bennington – engineering
Emilia Grayson – mixing

Sound Alike;

BANNERS – “Someone To You”

thanks 9 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 15/10/2022(UTC), freestylechamp on 15/10/2022(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/10/2022(UTC), erich hess on 16/10/2022(UTC), BrownSugar on 16/10/2022(UTC), PANIC! on 16/10/2022(UTC), RadioVine on 16/10/2022(UTC), kandii on 16/10/2022(UTC), Welat65 on 16/10/2022(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2022 18:52:18(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Fatima Amari: I love your music and it speak to me like I was literally hearing the story at the same time but yeah well done you guys!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 15/10/2022(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2022 02:32:25(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17915 time(s) in 10409 post(s)
Erica: *looks at every song in her notebook and then just sadly throws it away* just come out and call me a hack,why dont you?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 16/10/2022(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2022 18:01:00(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Aikya: I like how the lyrics of this song are gloomy but the instrumentation has a sort of bounce to it that kind of picks your spirits up a little. It reminds me that feeling alone after you lose a special someone isn't the happiest feeling but it's a very normal one and there are ways out. Immediately added to my playlist cus its a song I can cry to but also a song that will help me deal with love-induced grief.
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 16/10/2022(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2022 18:43:52(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Ezra: What a great track to start off my Monday. While the production doesn't feel heavy, the message got to me and I got a little teary eyed. It's a relatable song that seems perfect to drive through the town this autumn. Definitly a go-to for my car playlist
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 20/10/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2022 16:13:44(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Fatima Amari: I love your music and it speak to me like I was literally hearing the story at the same time but yeah well done you guys!

Danielle: Thank you so much, it means a lot to hear support from our peers. Much love! x
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 22/10/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 22 October 2022 16:16:34(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: *looks at every song in her notebook and then just sadly throws it away* just come out and call me a hack,why dont you?

Jonas: I will take that notebook and make a career out of it. I'm not above common thievery Ms. Erica.
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2022 16:21:34(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
Aikya: I like how the lyrics of this song are gloomy but the instrumentation has a sort of bounce to it that kind of picks your spirits up a little. It reminds me that feeling alone after you lose a special someone isn't the happiest feeling but it's a very normal one and there are ways out. Immediately added to my playlist cus its a song I can cry to but also a song that will help me deal with love-induced grief.

Jonas: Thank you Aikya, I'm such a fuckin' sucker for an upbeat song that's just lyrically devastating. Your own art and creativity is one that has inspired us all for quite some time, so it's insane to get such a compliment from yourself.
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2022 16:25:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
Ezra: What a great track to start off my Monday. While the production doesn't feel heavy, the message got to me and I got a little teary eyed. It's a relatable song that seems perfect to drive through the town this autumn. Definitly a go-to for my car playlist

Danielle: Oh my god, thank you so much Ezra. It blows my mind that our little fucking song has somehow found it's way into your world. So much love for you, thank you x
Offline PANIC!  
#10 Posted : 25 October 2022 12:16:15(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Ryan: Congratulations on the number one single! It is very much deserved! I have much respect for musicians who can just keep their head down and focus on the task at hand, which for you two was writing and recording your album before dealing with everything else, even if it meant a long stretch between this release and your debut single. It is quite easy to give into all the noise and buy into your own hype, especially these days where there's just such instant gratification with how music is released and consumed. That's why I firmly believe that there are many out there who can write one hit song, there's few who can make this a long lasting career. This song had such vivid imagery that it takes me back to drunken nights that I spent in Brooklyn, many many years ago when I was young. I love how both your voices compliment each other so well. I've always enjoyed hearing male and female voices on the same track because the possibilities on how you can toy around with different deliveries and harmonizes is endless. I am rooting for you both.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 29/10/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 17 November 2022 17:18:13(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: PANIC! Go to Quoted Post
Ryan: Congratulations on the number one single! It is very much deserved! I have much respect for musicians who can just keep their head down and focus on the task at hand, which for you two was writing and recording your album before dealing with everything else, even if it meant a long stretch between this release and your debut single. It is quite easy to give into all the noise and buy into your own hype, especially these days where there's just such instant gratification with how music is released and consumed. That's why I firmly believe that there are many out there who can write one hit song, there's few who can make this a long lasting career. This song had such vivid imagery that it takes me back to drunken nights that I spent in Brooklyn, many many years ago when I was young. I love how both your voices compliment each other so well. I've always enjoyed hearing male and female voices on the same track because the possibilities on how you can toy around with different deliveries and harmonizes is endless. I am rooting for you both.

Danielle: Thank you so much for the kind words, Ryan. I consider burying ourselves in a recording studio a form of self-preservation, after all we're both just a couple of street kids from Brooklyn. If you drop us into the center of Hollywood and we allow ourselves to venture out fully into this lifestyle ... let's just say, we won't be long for this world. But in all seriousness, it was about focussing on the task at hand which was creating the album, discovering the theme of what we wanted to deliver. As lovely as it is to have the chance to put out a couple of tracks before the record, the whole of that record means more to us than the sum of it's parts. It's supposed to be consumed in that way, rather than snippets and teasers. We do truly appreciate the support that you've shown so far, it brings us a level of self-assurance in long days of self-doubts and over-analysis. Thank you x
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
PANIC! on 17/11/2022(UTC)