logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2023 21:28:40(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Post Traumatic”
Artist: Kara Romero
Release Date: February 4, 2023
Recorded: Basement Studios, Brooklyn, New York
Genre(s): Rap, Hip-Hop, RnB
Length: 74:13 (Standard Edition) / 84:51 (Deluxe Edition)
Label: Just Record / Dahlhouse Entertainment
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Orion, Nevaeh Martinez, Cory Dionne

“Post-Traumatic” is the sophomore studio album from Spanish-American rap and hip-hop artist ‘Kara Romero’, it marks a seven year gap since the release of her number one debut album “Do I Have Your Attention Now?” (2016) which despite it’s chart success, received little critical support within the music industry. She followed this up less than a year later with the release of her debut E.P “Raising Hell” (2017) which peaked at number three on the album charts but again garnered very little mainstream response. This coincided with an unexpected three-year break during which Kara stepped away from the music industry as a whole, in an attempt to deal with some personal issues. This would be confirmed by Kara as she made her return to the music industry three years later with the release of her second E.P, the autobiographical “The Therapy Sessions (Vol. I)” (2020) which delved into the personal issues that she explored during her own therapy sessions during her break from the industry. This period saw Kara gain more critical success within the music industry, seeing her pick up the “Best Female Artist” at the FCA VII in 2020 and saw her trajectory within the industry hierarchy increase as she started to become one of the more well-known names around the music world at a time where productivity in the industry was at an all-time low.

The first single released from her sophomore album was “Signpost” which saw it’s debut in June 2022 and saw Kara pick up her first ever number one single in her career, she unexpectedly followed this up swiftly with the release of a remixed version of the same track featuring her friend and ‘Orion’ member ‘Brayton “Bellows” Carter only fifteen days later, that track peaked at number five and continued to establish her as a major name within the music industry. A month later in July 2022 she delivered a powerful female anthem in the form of “When Will We Get Our Flowers” which was another critical and commercial success, seeing Kara pick up her second number one single in as many months. This begun a period of productivity in which she continued to work on the album and drop singles from that same record simultaneously.
Marking the most productive period of her career, she began to finally find her place within the music industry. She returned a couple of months later in October 2022 with her third official single from the upcoming album titled “Hit List” which followed her upward trajectory again, peaking at number two on the singles chart. Her relentless form throughout 2022 would continue one final time on the final day of the year, December 31 when she delivered the single “DTF” which featured fellow rapper ‘Younghood’, again the track continuing the momentum, once more peaking at number two on the singles chart and closing out 2022 in a strong position as potentially the most productive artist of that year. 2023 started in similar fashion as Kara released “Twenty-Four Seven” (feat. Drew Westbrook) as her fifth official single from her upcoming album, the track entered the charts at number one just one week before the release of the highly anticipated sophomore album.

The recording process for “Post-Traumatic” initially began in 2020 at the same time she released her “The Therapy Sessions” E.P but with the world going into lockdown due to the global pandemic, it halted the progress of the initial planning for the album. It wasn’t until January 2022 that Kara finally got into the studio to begin the recording process for the album fully. With the release of the album, it will mark the end of her two-album contract at ‘Just Record’, but Kara has stated on numerous occasions over the past year that she hopes to re-sign to the label, despite obvious interest from other record labels. She has stated that she owes a lot to the label for sticking with her over the years and would prefer to repay that faith by continuing to work under their banner. However, Kara is also signed to ‘Dahlhouse Entertainment’ who manage the artist, their connections within the music industry offer up the freedom for Kara to explore many different potential avenues in terms of future label representations. Although it has always been highly likely that Kara will remain with ‘Just Record’, due to the relationship between the label and artist being so incredibly strong.

Kara serves as executive producer for the first time in her career on “Post-Traumatic”, having co-produced her debut album alongside TJ Cousins, she decided to step into a full control position on the production side of things this time around and opted to work alongside Nevaeh Martinez with whom she had worked with previously on her 2017 track “Bulletproof Barbie”, as well as being a highly successful record producer, she shares a close friendship with Kara and runs the record label ‘FREEDOM’. She has also enlisted the production talents of ‘Cory Dionne’ who continues to establish himself as one of the most sought-after record producers in the industry right now, marking the first time that the two have worked together. And the final piece of the puzzle comes from all three members of ‘Orion’, the popular hip-hop trio are long time friends of Kara’s and produced her 2020 E.P “The Therapy Sessions (Vol. I)” as well as production on their own 2022 self-titled debut album which became a major hit in its own right.
The album was recorded entirely at ‘Basement Studios’ in Brooklyn, New York which is the recording studio that Kara has used exclusively since her debut single back in 2012, over the past three years it’s believed that Kara has become a part-owner of the recording studio which was under threat of being sold. The album will be released on February 4, 2023 in a number of different formats which includes limited edition vinyl, CD, Digital Download and via all major streaming platforms through ‘Just Record’.

Background & Recording

The record was conceived on the back of ‘The Therapy Sessions’ E.P in 2020 and see’s a number of themes throughout the album that follow on from the overall tone and lyrical content from the 2020 E.P. This came after a period of absence from the music industry spotlight of around three years in which Kara went into self-reflective mode, firstly entering rehab for a short period of time and then eventually taking regular therapy sessions. Both of which clearly influence the lyrical content of the album and it’s main theme’s of introspection and personal growth. Although not specifically chronological in terms of storytelling, the album does see a structure within the lyrical content in which we see the album’s first few tracks show Kara at her lowest point in terms of her own addictions and emotional issues, references to drug use, depression and suicidal thoughts during those early tracks on the album, but as we progress through the album we see the change in direction as she works on her own issues whether via rehab or therapy, continues to battle her demons but see’s the growth in her mental status as she starts to find her way back. Although never fully ridding herself of her addictions, the album shows that the growth into a less destructive mind-set and lifestyle that the singer has referenced many times in recent years.

The album sticks to the three primary genre’s that Kara is now mostly associated with in Hip-Hop, Rap and RnB. The main instrumentations in use throughout the record are piano and drums, with various other in-house studio techniques used to achieve specific sounds. While the lyrical content is primarily focused on emotions, directly from aspects of love and mental health as an umbrella term which also lends itself to feelings of lust, endearment, depression and liberation, with many references to sex, drugs and alcohol.
“Post-Traumatic” is driven by emotive piano backdrops, hip-hop drum and bass elements, and lo-fi computer programmed beats. Vague elements of pop can be found throughout primarily in the songs choruses and structures but in terms of sound, it tends to veer away from typical pop music. Lyrics drenched in Kara’s emotional struggles and sexual liberation see a change in pace from the work featured on her debut album which at times feels like an entirely different artist at the helm. The record also see’s Kara collaborating with a number of contemporaries for the first time in her career with the record seeing guest spots from Lotus, Marina Balan, Younghood and Drew Westbrook on the standard release of the album. As well as Brayton “Bellows” Carter, Jay-C and Stephanie Fierce on the deluxe edition of the album.

In terms of collaborations, Kara discussed the importance to open herself up to outside ideas, “In the past it wasn’t something I particularly considered, but at that time in my career I don’t think I had a lot of people so open to hopping on a track. I think the stuff from my debut album was always pretty directionless, I didn’t fall into one particular category at that time. Now, with a specific identity it’s easier to reach out to people and ask them if they’d be up for working on some shit together. I consider all the people that I’ve worked with on this record to be the best at what they do. Lotus can bury any motherfucker lyrically, she’s not to be fucked with in my view. Marina is low-key underrated, she can sucker you in with that pretty voice on her RnB shit and just leave you shellshocked with her rap shit, we fuck with each other on a very real level, she’s chill as fuck too. Younghood is that shit for me, right now. He’s someone that you just vibe with immediately, he’s got that personality that makes you wanna be around him and he can run circles around anybody he steps up to and Drew is legit, he’ll fuck with you and deliver what he needs to deliver, but he moves on to the next pretty quick, he doesn’t seem to rest on past glory, for real.
This process has definitely opened my eyes to working with the best and learning from the best, I think that’s how you raise your level if you’re putting yourself around these people that are at the top of their game. There’s so many other people out there that I wanna hit up, but that’s gonna have to wait for a different project now.”

The albums recording sessions took place at Basement Studios in Brooklyn, New York with Kara serving as executive producer of the record, essentially overseeing every aspect of the album from top to bottom, working alongside a production team that was led by Nevaeh Martinez, Cory Dionne and Orion. The sessions generally consisted of Kara working primarily alongside long-time collaborator and friend Ignacio Santos on the composition of music first, lyrics second and third was the vocals. The entire process was done on a track by track basis, creating the structure of each song and laying down a basic demo for each song in which they reportedly had around thirty-two potential tracks to choose from. They would then whittle down those thirty-two tracks to the best fifteen to twenty and begin working on refining them.
Once Kara and Ignacio Santos had the bulk of songs chosen for the album, this is when they brought in the record producers for the album in order to perfect the songs and refine them, they would re-record the basic demo audio in the studio and begin mixing and producing the record to get it into the final product that we hear today on the record.

Kara discussed working with her production team ahead of the albums release, “Nevaeh was the most important person to get on board for this record, for me. We had became close back in 2017 when she produced a track for me and quickly connected with each other. She was the embodiment of what someone who has their shit together should be, has always carried herself with dignity and respect and has always been professional when she needs to be and human when she needs to be. She has an incredible ear for this business as proven by the success she’s had as a record producer and label executive. It was important for me to have her be part of this record as a sounding board.
I felt like having someone like Neveah who could look at things on a broader level meant that I needed people to come in who could get into the technical of the music and having Orion occasionally come in on the back of their debut album meant that they gave me a judgement and ideas from a very current act in the industry and finally Cory coming in as this crazy musical genius, he’s someone I had no previous relationship with so I knew his opinion wouldn’t have any level of bias. He’s a multi-instrumentalist, he’s a programming wizard in terms of modern record producing and he’s someone that knows exactly what is needed to make a modern sounding record right now. All of them are fundamental in the process of getting this record out.”

UserPostedImage

Tracklisting;

01. “Post-Traumatic” (3:46)
02. “Manic” (4:18)
03. “It’s Not You, It’s Me” (4:44)
04. “Pills” (4:38)
05. “Fixing Myself” (4:27)
06. “Bad Company” (feat. Lotus, Marina Balan) (4:57)
07. “(Real Ones) Ride With Me” (4:37)
08. “Hit Me Up” (3:25)
09. “DTF” (feat. Younghood) (4:17)
10. “Easy Access” (5:27)
11. “Medicate Me” (3:49)
12. “Signpost” (4:26)
13. “Dynamite” (3:28)
14. “Grow Up” (3:42)
15. “DL” (3:19)
16. “Twenty-Four Seven” (feat. Drew Westbrook) (4:53)
17. “When Will We Get Our Flowers” (5:03)
18. “Hit List” (4:17)

[Bonus Tracks]
19. “Are We One” (feat. Jay C, Stephanie Fierce) (5:39)
20. “Signpost” (feat. Bellows) (5:39)

Singles;

“Signpost” (June 11, 2022) [#1]
“Signpost” (feat. Bellows) (June 26, 2022) [#5]
“When Will We Get Our Flowers” (July 16, 2022) [#1]
“Hit List” (October 29, 2022) [#2]
“DTF” (feat. Younghood) (December 31, 2022) [#2]
“Twenty-Four Seven” (feat. Drew Westbrook) (January 22, 2023) [#1]

---

Credits & Personnel;

CREDITS

Produced by Kara Romero, Orion, Nevaeh Martinez, Cory Dionne
Engineered by Augustine Francis
Recorded at Basement Studios, Brooklyn, New York, USA

Production Manager: Ignacio Santos
Mixing: Augustine Francis, Kara Romero, Brayton Carter

PERSONNEL

Kara Romero – vocals, lyrics, composition, executive production, mixing
Younghood – vocals, lyrics, production (*track 09)
Jay-C – vocals, lyrics, production (*track 19)
Stephanie Fierce – vocals (*track 19)
Drew Westbrook – vocals, lyrics, production (*track 16)
Lotus – vocals, lyrics (*track 06)

Brayton “Bellows” Carter – vocals, lyrics, production, mixing (*track 20)
Ignacio Santos – piano, bass, composition, production management
Augustine Francis – drums, percussion, programming, mixing
Rebecca Lowell – photography, art direction
Jadyn Ghalen – production
Jamal Ghalen - production
Nevaeh Martinez - production
Cory Dionne - production
thanks 8 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 31/01/2023(UTC), Welat65 on 01/02/2023(UTC), erich hess on 01/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 01/02/2023(UTC), freestylechamp on 02/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 03/02/2023(UTC), kandii on 24/06/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2023 03:47:32(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Post-Traumatic”
Genre(s): Hip-Hop, Rap, RnB
Length: 3:46
Songwriter(s): Kara Romero
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Cory Dionne

”Post-Traumatic” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. This track is the opening song from the album and serves as an introduction to the ideas and themes of the album as a whole. The opening track see’s Kara rap about her own internal personal issues which have been highlighted and worked on through therapy sessions throughout the years. It’s something that has been noted as Kara has previously had an inconsistent career up until this point which has seen her take long extended breaks from the spotlight for years at a time. This stems from a combination of childhood issues, losing her mother at a very young age, moving to the United States from Spain, experimenting with drink and drugs as a teenager and being exposed to the negative sides of the entertainment industry as a young artist.

Quote:
“It’s taken a real long time to get to a position where I can consistently work and put music out there, my career has always been inconsistent and I think that’s mostly to do with my own mental roadblocks. There’s a lot of issues, but we all have our own internal battles. I called the album “Post-Traumatic” and wrote this song on the back of years of therapy sessions that I still find myself involved in and a one of the most common phrases that we seem to have used over the years is “PTSD”. It felt so obvious to call the album that and even more obvious to open the album with this track, it feels like an introduction for people that don’t have any background on me and it feels like a continuation from where I left off on ‘The Therapy Sessions’ E.P a couple of years ago. It’s not easy for musicians and artists to figure out their sound and voice, but I feel like this is it.
I didn’t want the record to be a completely negative, dark and depressing album because that’s not the place I’m in anymore, but there will always be darkness scattered throughout. I think this track combines both sides, it’s moody instrumental to begin with and the arrival of a very familiar hip-hop beat towards the end of the first verse changes shit up slightly. There’s real raw lyrics in there that feel very dark, but there’s also some of that lighter shit with some positivity in it too at times. I fuck with that combo quite a lot, it’s like a mesh of dark and light.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with the sound of crackling vinyl and the sound of piano keys, it seems to be the primary musical backdrop for the song as a whole, setting the mood with its minor chords with a slower paced track, Kara delivers her lyrics in a rap style but slowed down to the point where it almost feels like spoken poetry rather than a song in the initial opening bars of the song, “Spent most of my best years living life under the weight of the pressure/So much time feeling depressed, nothing could give me pleasure/Bruises and cuts running deep/Traumatised by experiences/Speechless to express the grief, no one here can measure/Therapy fucking saved me/Helped me get back on the right track/Therapy fucking saved me/Helped me get my life back/And now I'm free within myself/To truly express myself/And I feel in control of my mental health/Self-conscious ways have fallen by the wayside these days/And lately, I've really started feeling myself.” but the pace begins to pick up as we come towards the end of the opening verse, the inclusion of a couple of extra major notes on the piano seem to change the aspect of the song as she continues, “Understanding my own self-worth/Feeling free enough to put my own pussy first/And not worry too much about what everybody else says/Levelling the playin' field/Watch the fuck out, cause I'm feelin' me.” and it ends the opening verse on a positive note, despite the opening being very introspective.

The music continues to slowly play on those major notes, adding a slightly brighter tone to the song, piece by piece, feeling like it’s a slow build in the background, but the lyrics return to self-reflective and introspective, “Almost buckled under the weight of this industry/How I was viewed as a failure out here in the major leagues/Cause I was trying to play the game/Get the right kind of fame/Smiling for the camera's, make sure they know my name/But internal struggles with unresolved trauma/Pills being passed around backstage to numb my internal persona/Doing coke in the bathroom with the latest chart toppers/Then watching them go out onstage and sing their songs for the teeny boppers/Is kinda fucked up/But we get high on the drug/And we appreciate their love/Unresolved shit seems to come to the surface/At the worst time for it.”
The combination seemingly being the contrast between the brightness slowly edging more and more into the background music, but the lyrics keeping things very much in the personal and emotive state, this is even more evident from the songs brief chorus which shows the reason for the slow increase in brightness within the song, it’s in order to highlight the more positive aspect delivered in the songs chorus about how therapy has helped save the singer, “But therapy has saved me/But I still have bouts of that PTSD/Therapy has saved me/But I still have bouts of that PTSD.”

The song doesn’t fall back into the darker tones of the opening verse, despite the final verse being a repeated version of the opening, instead it shows the contrast between the two as the brighter more hopeful tone of the piano’s major keys are now at the forefront and are driving the song forward through it’s final verse, it’s a metaphor of therapy. In the sense that the therapy sessions that Kara had gone through have provided that brightness, if you listen closely to the final verse you’ll notice that the music makes it sound like a happier song despite the darkness in the lyrics being the exact same as the opening verse, the contrast between the two showing that the darkness will always be there as part of you, but it doesn’t need to consume you.

“Post-Traumatic”

"Spent most of my best years living life under the weight of the pressure
So much time feeling depressed, nothing could give me pleasure
Bruises and cuts running deep
Traumatised by experiences
Speechless to express the grief, no one here can measure
Therapy fucking saved me
Helped me get back on the right track
Therapy fucking saved me
Helped me get my life back
And now I'm free within myself
To truly express myself
And I feel in control of my mental health
Self-conscious ways have fallen by the wayside these days
And lately, I've really started feeling myself
Understanding my own self-worth
Feeling free enough to put my own pussy first
And not worry too much about what everybody else says
Levelling the playin' field
Watch the fuck out, cause I'm feelin' me

Almost buckled under the weight of this industry
How I was viewed as a failure out here in the major leagues
Cause I was trying to play the game
Get the right kind of fame
Smiling for the camera's, make sure they know my name
But internal struggles with unresolved trauma
Pills being passed around backstage to numb my internal persona
Doing coke in the bathroom with the latest chart toppers
Then watching them go out onstage and sing their songs for the teeny boppers
Is kinda fucked up
But we get high on the drug
And we appreciate their love
Unresolved shit seems to come to the surface
At the worst time for it

But therapy has saved me
But I still have bouts of that PTSD
Therapy has saved me
But I still have bouts of that PTSD

Spent most of my best years living life under the weight of the pressure
So much time feeling depressed, nothing could give me pleasure
Bruises and cuts running deep
Traumatised by experiences
Speechless to express the grief, no one here can measure
Therapy fucking saved me
Helped me get back on the right track
Therapy fucking saved me
Helped me get my life back
And now I'm free within myself
To truly express myself
And I feel in control of my mental health
Self-conscious ways have fallen by the wayside these days
And lately, I've really started feeling myself
Understanding my own self-worth
Feeling free enough to put my own pussy first
And not worry too much about what everybody else says
Levelling the playin' field
Watch the fuck out, cause I'm feelin' me"

---

Sound Alike;

Angel Haze – “Dark Places”

thanks 6 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 02/02/2023(UTC), erich hess on 02/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 02/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 03/02/2023(UTC), kandii on 25/06/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2023 03:48:54(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Manic”
Genre(s): RnB
Length: 4:18

“Manic” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The second track from the album, see’s Kara continue to put her deepest thoughts and internal fears out to the forefront, talking about the thoughts that envelop her mind, she references manic behaviour and the drugs required to counteract that behaviour whether prescribed or recreational. She sings about searching for love but only ending up with heartbreak, being attracted to the wrong type of guy and dealing with the aftermath or some potentially questionable decisions. It appears to be in keeping with her self-analysing and introspective lyrical output that has dominated her career over recent years, there are a lot of familiar tropes in this track that will continue throughout the album as it appears that the direction of the album as a whole will read almost like an open diary.

Quote:
“Man, not every track was written in the studio, I can tell you guys that right now. I think it’s pretty obvious which ones weren’t, and this is one of the ones that was written in my apartment, scribbled on some notepad in a manic frenzy of sadness and anger. This is one of the earliest songs that I wrote from this album, I think it was written around the same time as the E.P back in 2020 and we almost put it on that collection of tracks because it felt like it fit that mood and tone that I was trying to put across in that E.P.. I think at that time, a lot of progress had been made, but the one thing I was still trying to figure out was the relationship side of things for me. It was a time just before the pandemic and I was getting out there in the dating scene, not totally sure what I was searching for. I think internally I was putting pressure on myself to find a serious relationship after a period of casual connections.
Turns out that serious relationship vibe just isn’t for me, I discovered I get bored pretty quickly. But at that time, I had it in my mind that I was in a position where I needed to find something a little more serious and grown-up. But in trying to find that, I was still being drawn to the same type of guys that I was into casual shit with, the type that really were never going to be long term. The type that didn’t have their shit together but could show you a guy time in the bedroom. I have a type; one hundred percent and that type is unlikely to be into serious commitments and long-term plans. So this track is basically just me, inside my own head, trying to figure that out for myself.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with soft piano tones and a faint backing beat, which dictates the slower pace of this track, it’s clear early on that this one has much more of an RnB influence even more evident when Kara begins by singing on this track, something that she’s done less and less of in recent years as she’s moved more into the hip-hop and rap style of vocal delivery, she sings in a soft and melodic way, delivering what is a beautifully delicate RnB tone, “In my head, they say this shit is all in my head/My fucked up thoughts got me thinking that I'd rather be dead/At least that's what they said/But I can't let it go/It keeps coming back around/I search for a fix in all the wrong places/Look for love/Only find heart-breaking.” which delivers the message pretty clear from the very beginning of the track, it’s introspective and emotional at its very center.

As we arrive at the second verse, the music continues in the same pattern but with a slightly increased pace, piano tones and soft backing beats seem to be the order of the day on the track but the backing beat appears to be highlighted a little more as we arrive at the second verse. Kara switches her vocal delivery up slightly, pushing into a more urgent delivery with a slight feeling of aggression underlying the lyrics, “I don't even know why I attempt it/I've seen my heart break even before I've learn to mend it/Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of guy/But I ain't destined for a fucking nine to five suit and tie/Wanna guy I can fuck around wit/Light one up and we pound it/Whiskey shots and we down it/Tattoos on his knuckles, run em' all over my body/Wrap em' round my neck/Get a little naughty/You know that kink shit gets me feeling horny/But I feel like shit/When they don't call me.” and the end of that second verse seems to lead back into the more emotive tones and the slower pace, seemingly playing with the idea of the songs title, as the contrast between soft and tender delivery in the opening verse and fast and more aggressive in the second verse, seem to suggest a manic nature.

We arrive at the songs chorus, it’s relatively straightforward, repetitive and catchy as she repeats it, “I wish I could just go insane/Take away all the pain/Drugs work and I'm glad they came/I'm on that manic shit again/I wish I could just go insane/Take away all the pain/Drugs work and I'm glad they came/I'm on that manic shit again”, this is followed by a repetition of the opening verse once more, but we’re given one final refrain, “I don't even know why I fucking try/I'm always drawn to the wrong kind of guy/And it seems that he's/Always drawn to me/Guess they can figure out the weak/Just wanna fuck/And feel something real/Something I can fucking keep/Just for me.” before the songs chorus comes back in briefly in order to close out the track.

“Manic”

“In my head, they say this shit is all in my head
My fucked up thoughts got me thinking that I'd rather be dead
At least that's what they said
But I can't let it go
It keeps coming back around
I search for a fix in all the wrong places
Look for love
Only find heart-breaking

I don't even know why I attempt it
I've seen my heart break even before I've learn to mend it
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of guy
But I ain't destined for a fucking nine to five suit and tie
Wanna guy I can fuck around wit
Light one up and we pound it
Whiskey shots and we down it
Tattoos on his knuckles, run em' all over my body
Wrap em' round my neck
Get a little naughty
You know that kink shit gets me feeling horny
But I feel like shit
When they don't call me

I wish I could just go insane
Take away all the pain
Drugs work and I'm glad they came
I'm on that manic shit again

Take away all the pain

In my head, they say this shit is all in my head
My fucked up thoughts got me thinking that I'd rather be dead
At least that's what they said
But I can't let it go
It keeps coming back around
I search for a fix in all the wrong places
Look for love
Only find heart-breaking

I don't even know why I fucking try
I'm always drawn to the wrong kind of guy
And it seems that he's
Always drawn to me
Guess they can figure out the weak
Just wanna fuck
And feel something real
Something I can fucking keep
Just for me

Take away all the pain

Take away all the pain
I'm on that manic shit again”

Sound Alike;

Nicki Minaj – “Save Me”

BrownSugar on 02/02/2023(UTC), erich hess on 02/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 02/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 03/02/2023(UTC), kandii on 25/06/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2023 04:46:31(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “It’s Not You, It’s Me”
Genre(s): Hip-Hop, Rap
Length: 4:44

”It’s Not You, It’s Me” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The third track from the album see’s Kara shine a light on what would appear to be the darkest moments in her time away from the spotlight, processed over aggressive beats and a rapid-fire vocal delivery, we see the full descent into Kara’s darkest moment. A break up of a relationship on the advice that she seeks professional help to get herself back on the right track, references to a stint in rehab, use of drugs and alcohol to numb pain and thoughts of depression and suicide, it’s another track that seems to follow on from the Therapy Sessions E.P and feels like it could have been a track specifically written for that collection of songs. It’s believed to be another of the first tracks written in this albums process, one that saw Kara throw out a lot of different songs and rebuild the general theme and tone of the record on a number of different occasions over the last few years.

Quote:
“The record starts pretty dark, I gotta keep it real with you. I feel like it tells a story of growth, and this is one of the most important songs early on in the record because it shows the depth of how far things went. Heavy drug use to numb myself, break-up of a relationship, therapy sessions and the realisation that rehab was the only way to get off of that destructive path. It’s important to show the darkest side of the situation early on in the record so that it feels like it’s been earnt when you get to the end of the record and tracks of complete freedom and liberation. It’s like any good story, you’ve got to have that struggle and redemption arc throughout and follow that line pretty well.
There’s honesty in everything that I’ve written for this record, it got dark as fuck going back to this sort of mindset, but it was worth it in the end. You find yourself retracing your fucking steps, reliving your lowest moments for your art and in the search for complete vulnerability. The break-up of the relationship in this track informs pretty much every decision that I made from that moment onwards. I no longer searched for relationships that could last and defined my whole dating experience on whether it was something that could be long term. I started thinking more in the present, could we have fun right now. And I think this song is very much the link to the entire album for me. It’s the changing point, for sure. We’ve still got a period of recovery and descent over the next few tracks before we start to see the attitude shift. But this is was the beginning of a shift in momentum in my life.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The track begins with computer generated beats, initially slow until we arrive at the opening verse and the pace of the drum beat and backing sounds speed up slightly. Kara delivers her opening verse in a relatively quicker delivery than usual, adding to the urgency of the lyrics and situation that she finds herself in being one of darkness, “Used to spend my days drowning all my sorrows with the bottle/Mixing cheap liquor with my pills just to feel nothing/Never really thinking about the recovery process that I’d have to go through tomorrow/We’ll deal with that shit when it comes/Just knock me the fuck out so I can feel kinda numb/Knock me the fuck out/So that I can feel kinda numb/Man, this repetitive cycle is so fucking dumb/Knock me the fuck out/So that I can feel kinda numb.” and it sets the scene of somebody on their descent into addiction.
We arrive at the songs hook which shows the very limits of Kara’s darkest thought, “I sometimes feel like I’m the only one who gives a shit about me/But I’ve been trying to kill myself since eighteen/So what the fuck does that tell you/What the fuck does that tell you.” which is raw in its honesty but clever in its delivery, to state that even the person that seems to care about her the most (herself) even wants her to kill herself. A potential metaphor for the mindset of someone very much in the throes of depression.

The beat continues in a similar way, it’s repetitive, fast-paced and full of energy and matches the vocal delivery from Kara very well, “You went and walked out even when you made me believe/That this shit was lasting between you and me/And I told you that I needed you/Believed you when you said you needed me too/You said that I needed help/Just before you left/So I checked myself into rehab/Hoping that you’d stick around and stand by me again/But maybe I’ve fucked up/One too many times/And maybe all these problems/Are only fucking mine.” see’s Kara’s thought process start to change a little from complete anger to beginning to understand reasoning behind the decision her ex made to advise her on what she needs to do for her own health and safety as well as stepping away from a committed relationship in order to almost force Kara’s hand and make her realise that she needs the help.

The songs chorus comes in, just as quickly as it fades out, “It’s not you, it’s me/I’m fucked up beyond belief/Redemption and relief/It’s not you, it’s me/I’m fucked up beyond belief/Redemption and relief.” it’s straightforward and catchy and very brief. But makes way to the aftermath of rehab and the understanding of why the previous decisions were made, it finds Kara discovering clarity, understanding and an appreciation to the person that gave up their own feelings of love in order to help the person they were in love with get the help they needed to turn things around, “And I believe I’m thinking a little more straight these days/Not as neurotic and manic as I was before/Maybe you leaving was just the push that I needed/To get myself back on the straight and narrow/And I’ve got all the shitty little inspirational quotations that they give to us when we leave/And I carry around with me a chip that says I’m sober now/Would love to send you a message/But I just can’t seem to find the courage to do so/It wouldn’t be one where I’m begging/It would just be to say thanks/Cause when I fell apart you knew you couldn’t be the one to fix me/But you knew an institution that would take me/And with a clear fucking head/I can only think about the strength it must have taken/To give up on love that you felt/And walk away knowing my heart was breaking/But knowing all along/That it was for the fucking best/It makes my heart tight inside my chest.” see’s the conclusion of the journey, from devastation to anger to realisation and finally into acceptance and appreciation.

“It’s Not You, It’s Me”

“Used to spend my days drowning all my sorrows with the bottle
Mixing cheap liquor with my pills just to feel nothing
Never really thinking about the recovery process that I’d have to go through tomorrow
We’ll deal with that shit when it comes
Just knock me the fuck out so I can feel kinda numb
Knock me the fuck out
So that I can feel kinda numb
Man, this repetitive cycle is so fucking dumb
Knock me the fuck out
So that I can feel kinda numb

I sometimes feel like I’m the only one who gives a shit about me
But I’ve been trying to kill myself since eighteen
So what the fuck does that tell you
What the fuck does that tell you

You went and walked out even when you made me believe
That this shit was lasting between you and me
And I told you that I needed you
Believed you when you said you needed me too
You said that I needed help
Just before you left
So I checked myself into rehab
Hoping that you’d stick around and stand by me again
But maybe I’ve fucked up
One too many times
And maybe all these problems
Are only fucking mine

It’s not you, it’s me
I’m fucked up beyond belief
Redemption and relief
It’s not you, it’s me
Redemption and relief

And I believe I’m thinking a little more straight these days
Not as neurotic and manic as I was before
Maybe you leaving was just the push that I needed
To get myself back on the straight and narrow
And I’ve got all the shitty little inspirational quotations that they give to us when we leave
And I carry around with me a chip that says I’m sober now
Would love to send you a message
But I just can’t seem to find the courage to do so
It wouldn’t be one where I’m begging
It would just be to say thanks
Cause when I fell apart you knew you couldn’t be the one to fix me
But you knew an institution that would take me
And with a clear fucking head
I can only think about the strength it must have taken
To give up on love that you felt
And walk away knowing my heart was breaking
But knowing all along
That it was for the fucking best
It makes my heart tight inside my chest

It’s not you, it’s me
Redemption and relief
It’s not you, it’s me
Redemption and relief”

Sound Alike;

Ivy Sole – “Achilles”

erich hess on 03/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 03/02/2023(UTC), BrownSugar on 03/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 03/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2023 04:47:46(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Pills”
Length: 4:38
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Nevaeh Martinez

”It’s Not You, It’s Me” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The next track see’s almost a continuation of the recovery from the previous track, the idea that even once you’ve been to rehab and gotten yourself clean, there will be times when you crave those vices again and with the fourth track of the record, it seems to shine a light on that idea and wanting those same things that you have previously tried hard to erase from your own lifestyle. It’s a showcase of how difficult it can be to truly stick to your program and follows the own internal thoughts and feelings of desperation that Kara herself has felt in the past, having gotten clean and ending up back on that same path again later down the line.

Quote:
“This one is something that a lot of people that have had addictions and gone to rehab can all understand, how you can do everything right, go through that struggle of getting yourself back to a clean lifestyle and still somehow find yourself falling back into it again. For me, going to rehab was about opening my eyes to what I was doing to myself because I was taking things that would specifically remove the thoughts and feelings that I had going on in my head. Back then, it was about taking and doing whatever the fuck I needed to do in order to feel completely numb, which is why it was important for me to get into rehab at that point and get myself off of that destructive process.
For me, the worst thing about it was the reason why I was taking these things and doing this shit. I’m not sitting here, saying I’m clean and sober because I’m not. There are things that I continue to take and things that I continue to do, but it’s through a different mindset now. It’s not on a daily basis, it’s not to feel numb, it’s not to bury my depression or anything like that. It’s purely for the high, if anything it’s to feel a little more. So for me, this is a track that is me in despair and in desperation about wanting to get back on the shit I had managed to get myself away from.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with the muffled sound of a nightclub, almost like you’re standing in the bathroom of a club and you can’t quite fully hear the music and the crowd through the walls. It’s a drum beat and the sound of some form of bass that makes up the musical backdrop in the song as Kara opens the song up with its chorus, her voice crystal clear and assertive sounding, “I think I need some pills to numb the pain/Just so I can fade away again/I’ve been getting high again lately/But I need something stronger to medicate me/Everything’s piling up again/I need some pills to numb the pain.” and it paints the picture of somebody barely clinging onto their own sobriety. The idea continues as she delivers the opening verse of the drum beat, “I’ve grown tired of fuckin’ cause I don’t even feel a thing/Ridin’ on that dick just feels so meaningless/Pleasure so brief that I ain’t needin’ it/Even getting’ head ain’t got me screaming and shit/I think I’m falling/I don’t need you calling/This pussy ain’t open/I just ain’t coping/Need something stronger/Than all the shit we’ve been smoking’.” and it’s pacing seems to fit in with the tone of the tracks lyrics.

The beat continues at a similar pace as we arrive at the next verse, it’s a continuation of what was indicated in the first verse as she makes the connection between normal things that should bring pleasure and happiness not being enough to provide that and needing something more which only the drugs could provide her, “Yeah, I know that this is a fight that I’ve been in before/Repetitive cycles become such a chore/I’m on my downer/I need something more/Xannies and Molly is all I’m looking for/Yeah, I don’t know when the fuck I’m gonna die/But I can’t take this manic shit/And all the fixes that are so fuckin’ quick/Numbers in my phone to hit up when I need the dick/Even more numbers when I need a hit.” as she makes reference to how easy it would be for her to find temporary pleasure just by calling a number in her phone and how much easier it is to get in contact with a dealer that could help her get more long term effects just as easy.

She shows an element of self-awareness during the songs hook as she raps “It’s unhealthy/But fuck it helps me/Yeah, I know it’s unhealthy/But it fuckin’ helps me/It’s unhealthy/But fuck knows, it helps me/Yeah, I know that it’s unhealthy/But that shit fuckin’ helps me.” and the songs chorus comes in once again before she moves onto another verse, again adding more elements to the picture, “I’ve been poppin’ pills for a real long fuckin’ time/Throwing em’ back so god damn quick it’s like they weren’t even mine/And all my friends like to do it too/Used to think I didn’t get as fucked up as them/But I guess I fuckin’ do/Mixing drinks with the pills just to experience something real/Near death experience at will/I’ve seen that bright light so many fuckin times now/Feels like I’m edging closer/Each time that I fuckin’ break down/I don’t really know what’s waiting up there/But I feel like I’m getting closer/With every fuckin’ step.” which establishes just how dangerous her addiction has become in the past.

“Pills”

“I think I need some pills to numb the pain
Just so I can fade away again
I’ve been getting high again lately
But I need something stronger to medicate me
Everything’s piling up again
I need some pills to numb the pain

I’ve grown tired of fuckin’ cause I don’t even feel a thing
Ridin’ on that dick just feels so meaningless
Pleasure so brief that I ain’t needin’ it
Even getting’ head ain’t got me screaming and shit
I think I’m falling
I don’t need you calling
This pussy ain’t open
I just ain’t coping
Need something stronger
Than all the shit we’ve been smoking’

Yeah, I know that this is a fight that I’ve been in before
Repetitive cycles become such a chore
I’m on my downer
I need something more
Xannies and Molly is all I’m looking for
Yeah, I don’t know when the fuck I’m gonna die
But I can’t take this manic shit
And all the fixes that are so fuckin’ quick
Numbers in my phone to hit up when I need the dick
Even more numbers when I need a hit

It’s unhealthy
But fuck it helps me
Yeah, I know it’s unhealthy
But it fuckin’ helps me

It’s unhealthy
But fuck knows, it helps me
Yeah, I know that it’s unhealthy
But that shit fuckin’ helps me

I think I need some pills to numb the pain

I’ve been poppin’ pills for a real long fuckin’ time
Throwing em’ back so god damn quick it’s like they weren’t even mine
And all my friends like to do it too
Used to think I didn’t get as fucked up as them
But I guess I fuckin’ do
Mixing drinks with the pills just to experience something real
Near death experience at will
I’ve seen that bright light so many fuckin times now
Feels like I’m edging closer
Each time that I fuckin’ break down
I don’t really know what’s waiting up there
But I feel like I’m getting closer
With every fuckin’ step

I think I need some pills to numb the pain

It’s unhealthy
But fuck it helps me
Yeah, I know it’s unhealthy
But it fuckin’ helps me

It’s unhealthy
But fuck knows, it helps me
Yeah, I know that it’s unhealthy
But that shit fuckin’ helps me”

Sound Alike;

Young M.A. – “Sober Thoughts”

erich hess on 03/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 03/02/2023(UTC), BrownSugar on 03/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 03/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2023 04:52:37(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Fixing Myself”
Length: 4:27

”Fixing Myself” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The fifth track finds Kara delving into anger in the aftermath of a relationship break-up, it delves into the inner emotional turmoil of dealing with a break-up but also ripping apart the contents of the relationship and analysing all aspects of it. It seems to reference the idea of infidelity, secrets and the like without ever fully stating what it was that caused the break-up. It also makes reference to the other person writing raps and soundcloud so could potentially be about a specific fellow musician trying to make it in the industry. It serves it’s purpose in the aspect that it brings another layer of disappointment, but this one feels slightly different in the sense that there’s a defiant anger laced deep within the songs lyrics and Kara’s vocal delivery of said lyrics.

Quote:
“Navigating the whole relationship shit when you’re in the public eye is tricky, it’s always been tricky. Trying to figure out who you can trust ain’t easy, sometimes it’s impossible to see and only becomes clear when things are over. I’ve said before that the shit that I write comes from real experience and this track ain’t any different. I ain’t about exposing people, putting names out there. But this one is about a relationship that was in the early stages, weren’t living together but we were exclusive or were supposed to be. He was a rapper, trying to come through in the industry. He had a rep on soundcloud that was gaining some serious momentum and he was talking to labels and shit. I don’t think he ever made it, fully. At least not yet, I think he eventually put out a couple of songs after we broke up in 2018, but I ain’t heard too much about him recently.
This is a track based in total anger, it’s a situation that came at a time when it was just another thing to add to the bonfire. I was back home on that self-improvement shit, doing my therapy sessions and feeling good about my life at that point for the first time in a long time. We were around a year and half into the relationship, and it still felt new and exciting, we were still on that passion shit, hands all over each other, fucking like crazy. But then eventually, if you’re fucking around with other people, you get exposed and I found out and it all just went away. The worst part of shit like that is to go from being on this incredible high to just crashing down so quickly. It breaks you a little, you learnt to move past it but it just adds extra issues onto the shit that you’re carrying everyday.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with an acoustic guitar intro, giving the song an immediate stripped back feel from the beginning, Kara sings the songs chorus to open up the song in a sombre RnB tone with her delivery, “Did I ever cross your mind?/Did you even give me a seconds thought this time?/I know I shoulda known better to trust /That you left those ways behind/Now I'm left here alone, picking up the broken parts/Fixing myself again/Tired of mending broken hearts.” and the vocal delivery matched with the acoustic guitar playing, seems to give the song a very different feel to the previous tracks, feels like a million miles away from the Hip-Hop and Rap style that Kara now seems to favour and utilise in her songs.
But as we arrive at the opening verse, the guitar playing becomes slightly faster as raps with a drained and moody style, “You wouldn't look me in the eyes/Knowing I'd see through all the bullshit lies/Everything I had I fuckin' gave to you, brought you up when no one else believed in you/Wish I never trusted you/But now you got me leaving too/Had me believing everything you said was true/But now you got me looking over my shoulder at every turn/Find it hard trusting anyway/Got me second guessing everyday/All the things they say/Maybe you were turned on by the thrill of the game/Fucked up secrets that you're always playin'/And you played the game pretty good with me, had me thinking this shit was real/It hurts cause I believed in you/The raps you wrote had you on the come up too/I helped you out when you needed it/I hope your ceiling is soundcloud and the labels see through all your shit.”

She delivers the songs chorus again as the guitar playing slows down for it once more before speeding up slightly again for the second verse of the track, “First time around, I tried my hardest to trust you/Figured the scare of me leaving would be enough for you to stay true/Thought the connection we had was enough/Shit was like gasoline and fire/But I guess the heat alone was the rush/Tried my best to do it for you/But I guess you got bored of the crazy shit that I do/Figured you had your issues/Together we'd make it through/Help each other navigate the choppy waters of addiction/But fuck it I guess you were drawn to the friction/Just fucking some tramp that ain't ever gonna give you shit/Maybe a trip to the free clinic/I hope it was all worth it.” as her emotions make way for a pure verbal attack on the person that this track is aimed at. Kara delivers the songs chorus another couple of times over that acoustic guitar chord sequence, delivering the songs ending in an emotive way.

“Fixing Myself”

“Did I ever cross your mind?
Did you even give me a seconds thought this time?
I know I shoulda known better to trust
That you left those ways behind
Now I'm left here alone, picking up the broken parts
Fixing myself again
Tired of mending broken hearts

You wouldn't look me in the eyes
Knowing I'd see through all the bullshit lies
Everything I had I fuckin' gave to you, brought you up when no one else believed in you
Wish I never trusted you
But now you got me leaving too
Had me believing everything you said was true
But now you got me looking over my shoulder at every turn
Find it hard trusting anyway
Got me second guessing everyday
All the things they say
Maybe you were turned on by the thrill of the game
Fucked up secrets that you're always playin'
And you played the game pretty good with me, had me thinking this shit was real
It hurts cause I believed in you
The raps you wrote had you on the come up too
I helped you out when you needed it
I hope your ceiling is soundcloud and the labels see through all your shit

Did I ever cross your mind?
Fixing myself again

First time around, I tried my hardest to trust you
Figured the scare of me leaving would be enough for you to stay true
Thought the connection we had was enough
Shit was like gasoline and fire
But I guess the heat alone was the rush
Tried my best to do it for you
But I guess you got bored of the crazy shit that I do
Figured you had your issues
Together we'd make it through
Help each other navigate the choppy waters of addiction
But fuck it I guess you were drawn to the friction
Just fucking some tramp that ain't ever gonna give you shit
Maybe a trip to the free clinic
I hope it was all worth it

Fixing myself again

Fixing myself again
Tired of mending broken hearts”

Sound Alike;

Rico Nasty – “Easy

erich hess on 04/02/2023(UTC), BrownSugar on 05/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 05/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 03/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2023 04:54:28(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Bad Company” (feat. Lotus, Marina Balan)
Length: 4:57
Songwriter(s): Kara Romero, Lotus, Marina Balan

”Bad Company” (feat. Lotus, Marina Balan) is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The first collaboration track arriving on the album is the all-female collaboration between Kara Romero, Lotus and Marina Balan. It sees the momentum shift as it’s a brash and confident track where the three women basically deliver a female-power track. It’s lyrics are confrontational at times and at other times are playful and tongue in cheek as the three women appear to show incredible chemistry on the track together. With each of them bringing something different to the table, Kara delivering the opening verse, rapping about how the girls have taken over in the power struggle. Lotus raps about taking the vacant throne and not having to rely on a man to give her what she needs and Marina delivering a powerful verse to state that the landscape is changing.

Quote:
“This is the real shit right here, brought my baddies into the studio for this one and we basically just said ‘fuck it, we having fun with this one’. We just smoked a little weed, vibed a little on each other in the studio and took turns stepping into the booth laying down multiple verses. We kept rotating in and out and freestyling over the beat, I think we legit did like six different individual verse, some of that shit got down and dirty. I think it could be a track that we go back to and put all the shit we recorded for it into a fifteen or twenty minute jam. Like, we were wildin’ in there, we had so much fun fucking around with different verses, it was tough to pick just one verse for it. I think we gotta release this one as a single at some stage and put it out with the all the takes that we recorded included on it.
It's a whole different fuckin’ vibe when you bring your girls into the studio with you, we wanted to create something a little fiery and a little fun so we got a lil crazy before we recorded, smoked sumn and got ourselves on that level. I’ve said it before, but ain’t nobody stepping on Lotus lyrically, she got that free flow style, she a firecracker for real. Marina is a real baddie, like she can vibe in any situation, she’s super fucking chill when you’re hanging, down for any shit. But when she gets in that booth, it’s like something switches and she brings that fire. I will fuckin’ lay down for those bitches every time.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with keyboard tones and a low-fi hip-hop beat for a couple of seconds before they’re quickly joined by snares and a rhythmic back beat which adds a little energy to the track, Kara delivers the intro, “2022, keep betting on me/Relentless stage/We still here/I’m just tryna be somebody that’s influential/On my life, I’mma go when it’s crunch time/Run it up, yeah/I’mma safe bet for ya’ll/Run it up, yeah/Run it up.” which signals the energy and confident tone of the song before Kara immediately steps into the opening verse, “Yeah, you all know ain’t nobody thought it would be like this/In a world where we now running this shit/Female empowerment/Living rent free inside of your heads/In the driver’s seat cause we’re now controlling/Where the fuck this is going/We’re making the biggest moves/Independent as fuck/So suck your own dick dude/We know where the power rankings lie now/Pussy so good it gets you high now/Got em’ fighting/Just to get close to it/Hoping for a glimpse/It’s on its own A list/And how does it feel to know that we run this shit/Yeah, how does it feel/To know my ladies run this shit/Lotus on the track/It’s been a while since we’ve heard from my baddest bitch/She gonna run it up/Cause that girl does magic shit.” which leads us perfectly into the second verse.

Lotus steps into the song, jumping immediately on the beat with a rapid-fire relentless energy, delivering her words thick and fast “Kara called me, had to answer/Take no shit, take no pampers/We at the foot spa, getting pampered/Twinkle on my toes like a dancer/I'm independent, I had a different vision/I saw that I could make a way, gave myself permission/Don't ask me where I been, we on a different mission/And if they try to write me out, you know the truth is missing/Greatest, no alphas and no betas/Ya’ll see them getting lazy while the ladies make the paper?/Prince never came to save her so the Queen seized the throne/If you can’t ask him for favours, tell that man leave you alone/They think my labour cheap that's why I don't come out the house/Try to tell me coochie free then go pay for it in Laos/Family wonder when I'll find a spouse/Married to the bounce, I'm out.” and it’s a confident and brash delivery that brings the energy to the track in a very real way.

The songs chorus arrives as the trio deliver their vocals together, “You know it's bad company/We go hard/Women in the lead/We the motherfucking pussy squad/You know it's bad company/We go hard/Women in the lead/We the motherfucking pussy squad.” with their vocals together in harmony, it creates this beautifully messy energy as they all have very different tones to each other, but it works as a contrast.
Marina steps up to deliver her verse in the song, her beautifully powerful RnB voice always shines through even when she delivers a rap verse and it’s that combination here that we receive, “We change the rules like the inaugural sermon/Rules don’t apply to me, they only worsen/The human condition, us being oppressed/Time for a leader, we'll take on the burden/Ahead of the pack, ahead of the rest/The alpha-male don’t like it? Then he better contest/Challenge us all you want, and we'll sure accept/Cause the more we defeat, we earn more respect/No balls but I'll still always bet/I’m a risky bitch, I'll go for the whole set/Cause it's all or nothing and that's how life works/Ready to blow this shit off the lid, like we’re the fireworks/And you don't even see us, you fucking narcissists.” she lets the music play through for a few moments before you can hear her take a breath before going in for one final run, “I ain’t finished here, gotta teach em’ a big lesson/Bitch double crossed me once, and now he's in a deep depression/We play with our own rules cause this here's our game/Get out of the spotlight cause this here's our fame/I've been a nuisance but now I'm a threat, wanna bump wit' we?/You’re a nuisance to me so now you can meet my bad company.” which is followed by the songs chorus once more as it finishes.

“Bad Company” (feat. Lotus, Marina Balan)

(Kara)
“2022, keep betting on me
Relentless stage
We still here
I’m just tryna be somebody that’s influential
On my life, I’mma go when it’s crunch time
Run it up, yeah
I’mma safe bet for ya’ll
Run it up, yeah
Run it up

(Kara)
Yeah, you all know ain’t nobody thought it would be like this
In a world where we now running this shit
Female empowerment
Living rent free inside of your heads
In the driver’s seat cause we’re now controlling
Where the fuck this is going
We’re making the biggest moves
Independent as fuck
So suck your own dick dude
We know where the power rankings lie now
Pussy so good it gets you high now
Got em’ fighting
Just to get close to it
Hoping for a glimpse
It’s on its own A list
And how does it feel to know that we run this shit
Yeah, how does it feel
To know my ladies run this shit
Lotus on the track
It’s been a while since we’ve heard from my baddest bitch
She gonna run it up
Cause that girl does magic shit

(Lotus)
Kara called me, had to answer
Take no shit, take no pampers
We at the foot spa, getting pampered
Twinkle on my toes like a dancer
I'm independent, I had a different vision
I saw that I could make a way, gave myself permission
Don't ask me where I been, we on a different mission
And if they try to write me out, you know the truth is missing
Greatest, no alphas and no betas
Ya’ll see them getting lazy while the ladies make the paper?
Prince never came to save her so the Queen seized the throne
If you can’t ask him for favours, tell that man leave you alone
They think my labour cheap that's why I don't come out the house
Try to tell me coochie free then go pay for it in Laos
Family wonder when I'll find a spouse
Married to the bounce, I'm out

You know it's bad company
We go hard
Women in the lead
We the motherfucking pussy squad

We go hard
Women in the lead

(Marina)
We change the rules like the inaugural sermon
Rules don’t apply to me, they only worsen
The human condition, us being oppressed
Time for a leader, we'll take on the burden
Ahead of the pack, ahead of the rest
The alpha-male don’t like it? Then he better contest
Challenge us all you want, and we'll sure accept
Cause the more we defeat, we earn more respect
No balls but I'll still always bet
I’m a risky bitch, I'll go for the whole set
Cause it's all or nothing and that's how life works
Ready to blow this shit off the lid, like we’re the fireworks
And you don't even see us, you fucking narcissists
I ain’t finished here, gotta teach em’ a big lesson
Bitch double crossed me once, and now he's in a deep depression
We play with our own rules cause this here's our game
Get out of the spotlight cause this here's our fame
I've been a nuisance but now I'm a threat, wanna bump wit' we?
You’re a nuisance to me so now you can meet my bad company

We go hard
Women in the lead

We go hard
Women in the lead
We the motherfucking pussy squad”

Sound Alike;

Saweetie – “Back to the Streets” (feat. Jhene Aiko)

BrownSugar on 05/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 05/02/2023(UTC), erich hess on 06/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2023 02:35:25(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “(Real Ones) Ride With Me”
Length: 4:37
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Brayton Carter, Jadyn Ghalen, Jamal Ghalen

”(Real Ones) Ride With Me” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track see’s Kara address changing friendships, not knowing which people to fully trust and which ones are just along for the free ride. She makes reference to how she’s been in the industry for a long time but only now things are starting to move into the next level and how with that comes more and more people trying to attach themselves to someone with a growing status. This is the very basis of the track, which is essentially Kara trying to figure out which of these people truly have her back and have her best interests at heart and which ones are just hanging around to see what they can get out of it. It’s perhaps the song on the album that is most structured like a pop song, which gives the song a catchy earworm type of feeling.

Quote:
“Oh, we on that shit with this one. It wasn’t done by intention but track six and seven are probably the two tracks that were the loosest and most fun to work on throughout this record. This one is just plain simple, it’s about trying to figure out who’s legit and who ain’t. It’s tough to know because sometimes people that were there from day one are the first motherfuckers to stab you in the back and some people that have only just shown up have better intentions towards you than your oldest friends. It’s not about how long they been fucking with you, it’s about why they’re out here fucking with you. You’ll find that a lot of people in this industry have very small circles for that very reason.
It's just one of those prices of fame, I guess. I feel like I’ve got a pretty good gauge on who to trust, but even I’ve got it wrong a couple of times and people that you thought would lay the fuck down for you ain’t even about showing their faces when it comes down to the crunch. Yeah, there ain’t too much more to add about this track, it’s got that pop hook shit though.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a typical trap sounding beat, it’s simplistic and repetitive enough to allow Kara to come into the track pretty quickly and rap over such a straight forward beat, “I think I've got trust issue's, real bad/So many stab wounds in my back/Never from the real ones from my past/Only from the new ones, always tryna grasp/They only see the hype now that's surrounding my name/Didn't wanna know me when I was hustling in this motherfuckin' game/I don't think I've changed, I'm still the same/The only difference is the cache that's placed next to my name/Been at this shit for ten years legit/It's only now that my name carries some weight/Real ones still with me/But still tryna shake off the fakes/Everyday feels like I'm wrestling with snakes.” and the songs opening verse does a good job in setting up the tone of the track. It’s lyrics are confrontational, but combined with the beat and almost throwaway vibe to Kara’s vocal delivery it makes the song come across a little more light hearted and playful than the lyrics may suggest.

The songs chorus comes in pretty quickly, but it’s short and catchy enough to stick with you even after it’s brief appearance, “Too many people, tryna hop on/Tryna ride this dick when a bitch ain't even got one/I don't need these fakes/I only fuck with the real ones.” which just adds to the tone of the track feeling like it’s making a statement but not taking itself too seriously at the same time. We’re also given a hook which comes in after one chorus and is followed by the same chorus which just adds to the unexpected typical pop structure to the track, “I been around this game for a while/So, I'mma need some of ya'll to step aside/Only real ones along for the ride/Only fuck with the real ones/I been around this game for a while/So, I'mma need some of ya'll to step aside/Only real ones along for the ride/With me/Only real ones along for the ride with me.” which as stated is followed by the chorus.

We’re then given another verse, with Kara once again jumping straight onto the beat perfectly, “These days I don't know who to trust/Got all these new people showing me love/Claiming they fucked with my vibe from the early days/Front row in shitty little rooms in Williamsburg/But they couldn't even name one of my songs or recite a verse/Didn't know I was hipster before I even spit these words/Alternative indie scene kid/Before I switched it up/Spitting fire over 808 beats/Is what got this bitch noticed/They started showing me some love/Now my head is fucked/Don't know who to trust.” which is then followed by the perfect pop closing combination of chorus-hook-chorus to close the song out.

“(Real Ones) Ride with Me”

"I think I've got trust issue's, real bad
So many stab wounds in my back
Never from the real ones from my past
Only from the new ones, always tryna grasp
They only see the hype now that's surrounding my name
Didn't wanna know me when I was hustling in this motherfuckin' game
I don't think I've changed, I'm still the same
The only difference is the cache that's placed next to my name
Been at this shit for ten years legit
It's only now that my name carries some weight
Real ones still with me
But still tryna shake off the fakes
Everyday feels like I'm wrestling with snakes

Too many people, tryna hop on
Tryna ride this dick when a bitch ain't even got one
I don't need these fakes
I only fuck with the real ones

I been around this game for a while
So, I'mma need some of ya'll to step aside
Only real ones along for the ride
Only fuck with the real ones
With me
Only real ones along for the ride with me

I don't need these fakes

These days I don't know who to trust
Got all these new people showing me love
Claiming they fucked with my vibe from the early days
Front row in shitty little rooms in Williamsburg
But they couldn't even name one of my songs or recite a verse
Didn't know I was hipster before I even spit these words
Alternative indie scene kid
Before I switched it up
Spitting fire over 808 beats
Is what got this bitch noticed
They started showing me some love
Now my head is fucked
Don't know who to trust

I don't need these fakes

Only fuck with the real ones
With me
Only real ones along for the ride with me

I don't need these fakes
I only fuck with the real ones"

Sound Alike;

Saweetie – “Pissed”

thanks 5 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 05/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 05/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 05 February 2023 02:36:52(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Hit Me Up”
Length: 3:25

”Hit Me Up” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. This track is a pretty simplistic one, about a general friendship/relationship in which both people are with each other just hang out and get a little messed up. During the songs verse, it references a night out in which one of them gets messed up and the other picks them up and takes care of them. It seems like the song is essentially just showing the underlying care that a seemingly vapid relationship can have at its core. It comes across as more of a pop track than a rap or hip-hop track. It could potentially be seen as a prologue to previous track “(Real Ones) Ride With Me”, showing loyalty and care to a friend throughout it as it’s main selling point.

Quote:
“Honestly looking back at the record, I don’t think this song gets on the album if it’s placed anywhere else. I think it’s a throwaway track, but it works coming after ‘Real Ones” as a sort of follow-up. I think being almost half-way through the album was intentional too, because it sort of feels like it bridges the gap between the first half vibe of the record and what’s to come after. It’s a short, catchy track that gives you a few moments to breathe and take everything in. At least that was the intention. When we’re in the mix of the studio we have all these little fucking ideas and visions that I don’t think anybody ever picks up on other than ourselves. It makes sense in my head.
But yeah, I ain’t got too much to say on this one. It’s part of the collective, but on its own, I don’t think it serves a purpose if I’m gonna keep it totally real with ya’ll. It tells a story that some people lose sight of, it’d be pretty cool if listening to this song made someone reach out to someone they ain’t fucked with in a little while.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The track starts off with a fairly straight forward mainstream rap beat, with elements of pop and slight electronica that give the song it’s immediate energy, Kara delivers the opening to the song “Yeah, when you’re lonely you always hit me up/Blowin’ up my phone/Like it’s enough/Come on over let’s hit a blunt/No time for talking/Let’s fuck it up.”, it’s quick and relatively straightforward lyrics make the song easily accessible to the casual listener although it’s likely to not be a favourite for die-hards. Kara quickly follows up the opening with the songs hook “I do these things over and over/Only call me when you’re high/Wouldn’t recognize you if you were sober/I do these things over and over/Only call me when you’re high/Wouldn’t recognize you if you were sober.” which brings to a close the introductory part of the song.

As we arrive at the first verse, the song begins to take it’s storytelling aspect, Kara delivering her vocal over the sort of pop beat that you’d expect to hear in the clubs mentioned in the verse, “You pour your heart out in the voicemail’s that you keep sending to me/Can barely hear your voice over the sound of the beats/The club sounds alive but you’re fucked up outta your mind/Club sounds alive but you’re fucked up outta your mind/But I hope you know, when I hang up the call/That I’ll pick you up from the curb tonight/I know it hurts in the morning when you have to swallow your pride/But I’ll give you somewhere to sleep it off at night/Cause life fucks us sometimes/Yeah, life fucks us all sometimes.” and is quickly followed up by the songs hook again.

The second verse comes into play towards the end of the track, it’s a short song and feels even more brief than the three and a half-minute run time as Kara continues with the rest of the story, “You’re not making much sense and you’re slurring your speech/Just keep talking bout’ how your thoughts are keeping you from your sleep/We’ll share Coffee and Cigarette’s on my balcony/The cold air will sober you up/Man, it kills me to see that you’re still this fucked up/Kills me to see that you’re still this fucked up.” which highlights the general idea of the song, being one about a friendship based in looking out for each other when it’s needed. We’re give the songs quasi-chorus and it’s hook one more time before beat stops dead and the song comes to it’s end.

“Hit Me Up”

“Yeah, when you’re lonely you always hit me up
Blowin’ up my phone
Like it’s enough
Come on over let’s hit a blunt
No time for talking
Let’s fuck it up

I do these things over and over
Only call me when you’re high
Wouldn’t recognize you if you were sober

You pour your heart out in the voicemail’s that you keep sending to me
Can barely hear your voice over the sound of the beats
The club sounds alive but you’re fucked up outta your mind
Club sounds alive but you’re fucked up outta your mind
But I hope you know, when I hang up the call
That I’ll pick you up from the curb tonight
I know it hurts in the morning when you have to swallow your pride
But I’ll give you somewhere to sleep it off at night
Cause life fucks us sometimes
Yeah, life fucks us all sometimes

You’re not making much sense and you’re slurring your speech
Just keep talking bout’ how your thoughts are keeping you from your sleep
We’ll share Coffee and Cigarette’s on my balcony
The cold air will sober you up
Man, it kills me to see that you’re still this fucked up
Kills me to see that you’re still this fucked up

Yeah, when you’re lonely you always hit me up
Blowin’ up my phone
Like it’s enough
Come on over let’s hit a blunt
No time for talking
Let’s fuck it up

Wouldn’t recognize you if you were sober”

Sound Alike;

LightSkinKeisha – “Ride Good” (feat. B. Smyth)

BrownSugar on 05/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 05/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 05 February 2023 07:03:18(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “DTF” (feat. Younghood)
Length: 4:17
Songwriter(s): Kara Romero, Younghood
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Younghood, Nevaeh Martinez, Cory Dionne

”Hit Me Up” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track see’s Kara delve into the theme of modern dating, centred around casual hook-ups as alluded to in the titles meaning ‘down to fuck’. Kara works alongside Younghood for the first time in her career and it creates a song from both people’s perspective, neither wanting anything serious from the relationship. Kara makes references to wanting to maintain her independence and using this casual hook-up as a way of giving her relief from the more difficult moments in her life and Younghood uses it more like a pleasurable workout, his lyrics showing flashes of competitiveness as he makes references to wanting to keep on improving his game. Either way it’s an interpretation on a lot of modern day relationships that purely centre on physical attraction and casual sex.

Quote:
“I knew I wanted to get at least one track on the album that tackles this sort of topic and Younghood was an immediate name that I put down to work on the track with. He’s one of the first names that people look to when they’re wanting someone to feature on their track. He’s one of the best in the game, because he knows how to maximise his impact on anything he does. Whether he gets space to work in a six minute track or a three minute track, he knows how to make the most of that time for full impact. We’ve known each other for a while but never close enough to have a meaningful conversation. But we linked up early in this album’s process, so I’ve been sitting on this one for a while. I gave him the concept for the track and he knew where to take it, straight up.
We fucked around with a few beats together and I had my shit pretty much written. We spoke about the idea and theme of the track and you could tell that he’s lived this shit himself, so he knew exactly where to come from in terms of the confidence and attitude needed from his side of things. He vibed on the concept with me for a while, watched me do my thing up in the booth and stepped into it fully prepared. We fucked around with a couple of extra bars and a few alternative versions. But he was a total pro when it came down to the work, he showed up, vibed with the track and delivered what he needed to deliver to make the track work in the most authentic way. It was crazy to watch him work, for real this isn’t a one and done thing.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a strong drum beat and electronic sound, giving an almost trap sounding intro to the song but with the emphasis fully on the drums rather than the mixing board produced electronic backbeat. The vibe of the track immediately feels more energetic than a lot of Kara’s previous work and feels like it wouldn’t be out of place in a nightclub as she steps up to the microphone to deliver the opening verse, mixing her soulful voice with the fast-paced old-school hip-hop vibes that she’s showcased throughout 2022, “You know how it goes/The days are long and the hustle takes it's toll/Some nights we all just need a little of that sweet relief/Not about deep connections/It's about that feeling between the sheets/Yo, I been independent as fuck/For as long as I can tell/Never been one to fall in love/But you know I keep coming back around like a motherfucking carousel/We both got a nice arrangement together/No talking, just fuckin'/This situation works out so much better/Bout that DTF life lovin'” and it’s obvious from the opening verse where the theme of the song will likely be going, it’s very much drenched in the no commitment mentality that is popular in modern day society.

Following the opening verse, we’re immediately sent into the songs chorus that serves to drive home the theme and tone of the song, it’s a catchy break between verses and basically spells the song out to the listener in a not so subtle manner as Kara switches to a more vocally driven RnB delivery as she sings the songs chorus, an element to her vocal ability that she has used sparingly throughout her career, preferring at the moment to drive down the rap route as opposed to the RnB path that could certainly be a future option. She sings with confidence, proving a catchy singalong chorus to her audience, “We both know how this goes/Got them safety numbers in our phones/Hit em' up when you're feeling low/Midnight texts, “you still up”/Baby yes/Down to fuck.”

The beat continues to progress, moving and weaving in tempo. Seamlessly switching up pace and helping the transition from elemental RnB sounding to setting the table perfectly for Younghood to step up to the microphone and deliver his opening verse, “Yo, you know what it is when I come by/I’m not for the small talk, no time for you to be shy/I’m not that guy to be doing the roses and candles light/I got a couple of hours to kill so let’s get it right/When your phone lights up and you see the text/Don’t act confused, like you don’t know what’s next/All kinds of hours, I’m looking for fun/Let's go crazy, go at it until we see the morning sun/Don’t cook for me, Don’t hold my hand/This isn’t deep and I’m not your man/I rather pull your hair and have you bite your lip/Have you considered about getting that pink slip/Running late to work, you need to tighten up/You seeing someone, you better lighten up/Still blowing up my phone, cause he not working/Tag me in, let’s put this in motion.” and we’re given the male perspective from the song, as he emphasizes the importance of keeping things clear and making sure there’s no confusion on what the situation is.

The songs chorus comes in once more, Kara switching it up again by singing out the chorus, in a beautiful soulful tone despite the songs on the nose lyrics. She then seamlessly transitions into her second verse of the track, again moving back into her hip-hop vibe, “We got an understanding an arrangement if you will/That our lifestyle takes us to places/So we paper over the cracks that a relationship can never fill/We're still young enough/To fuck around like we're new to this/Stay in bed all day till we both bruise and ache/Stamina on fire/Man, that tongue do magic shit/Don't need no direction/So damn familiar with the spot you just keep hittin' it/I already came twice/I know you ain't quitting this/Baby keep it in/Don't get apologetic/I like it when the game runs long/On that over-time shit/We professional.” again emphasizing the basis of the relationship and making sure there are no crossed wires from the female perspective. Highlighting a relationship that is purely based on passion and very much non-committal.

She’s quickly followed by Younghood, with his final verse of the track and surprisingly he’s given the final moments of the song with the exception of the chorus. A brave move for an artist allowing the lasting moments to go to her featured artist, but one that works in tying up the content of the track, “Game time, Pointing to my wrist/“You don’t have a shot,” they say/Yet rarely do I miss on any given day/I can bag anyone, so why tie down/Girl you’re bad, don’t let them hold you down/They all have inner freaks, just under lock and key/If they around me, I will set them free/I’m here to fuck then keep it moving/This is art form, I need to keep improving/“I take your bitch” Oh, be my guest/We’ll take turns, see who really impress/All shapes and all sizes, come one come all/It’s a battle royal style, let’s see who stands tall.” which once more highlights the nature of the casual hook-up mentality, treating it like a sport in some cases. Working on your game and constantly improving being the lasting impression from the track before the songs chorus see’s the song come to a close.

“DTF” (feat. Younghood)

(Kara)
“You know how it goes
The days are long and the hustle takes it's toll
Some nights we all just need a little of that sweet relief
Not about deep connections
It's about that feeling between the sheets
Yo, I been independent as fuck
For as long as I can tell
Never been one to fall in love
But you know I keep coming back around like a motherfucking carousel
We both got a nice arrangement together
No talking, just fuckin'
This situation works out so much better
Bout that DTF life lovin'

We both know how this goes
Got them safety numbers in our phones
Hit em' up when you're feeling low
Midnight texts, “you still up”
Baby yes
Down to fuck

{Younghood}
Yo, you know what it is when I come by
I’m not for the small talk, no time for you to be shy
I’m not that guy to be doing the roses and candles light
I got a couple of hours to kill so let’s get it right
When phone lights up and you see the text
Don’t act confused, like you don’t know what’s next
All kinds of hours, I looking for fun
Let's go crazy, go at it until we see the morning sun
Don’t cook for me, Don’t hold my hand
This isn’t deep and I’m not your man
I rather pull your hair and have you bite your lip
Have you considered about getting that pink slip
Running late to work, you need to tighten up
You seeing someone, you better lighten up
Still blowing up my phone, cause he not working
Tag me in, let’s put this in motion

Baby yes
Down to fuck

(Kara)
We got an understanding an arrangement if you will
That our lifestyle takes us to places
So we paper over the cracks that a relationship can never fill
We're still young enough
To fuck around like we're new to this
Stay in bed all day till we both bruise and ache
Stamina on fire
Man, that tongue do magic shit
Don't need no direction
So damn familiar with the spot you just keep hittin' it
I already came twice
I know you ain't quitting this
Baby keep it in
Don't get apologetic
I like it when the game runs long
On that over-time shit
We professional

{Younghood}
Dame time, Pointing to my wrist
“You don’t have shot,” they say
yet rarely do I miss on any given day
I can bag anyone, so why tie down
Girl you’re bad, don’t let them hold you down
They all have inner freaks, just under lock and key
If they around me, I will set them free
I’m here to fuck then keep it moving
This is art form, I need to keep improving
“I take your bitch” Oh, be my guess
We’ll take turns, see who really impress
All shapes and all sizes, come one come all
It’s a battle royal style, lets see who stands tall

Baby yes
Down to fuck”

Sound Alike;

A$AP Rocky – “Fukk Sleep” (feat. FKA Twigs)

thanks 4 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 05/02/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 05/02/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 05 February 2023 07:04:48(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Easy Access”
Length: 5:27

”Easy Access” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track deals with some of the internal issues that Kara has had in her head throughout her life with the song specifically making reference to Kara’s career as she references dealing with fame at sixteen years old and being expected to be able to handle everything that comes with that in the opening verse, references to her own drug issues and how the industry in general works at it's very worst. While the second part of the song see’s Kara embracing all of her flaws and finally feeling free enough to be exactly who she wants to be in this world and doing everything that she wants to do. It’s a track that litters the darkest moments of her life throughout without it ever being a hugely depressing track as it’s done in a way that makes the listener go on the same self-discovery journey that Kara seemingly goes on in the song.

Quote:
“This is just the shit that’s been in my mind for years, it’s been the topic of so many therapy sessions and it felt freeing to address it now at a stage in my life when I finally feel in control of my own psychological shit. The track starts off with me letting people into the world of myself as a sixteen year old, when I was basically unexpectedly put into this industry, I was discovered at a bar in Brooklyn and basically pushed into this world. Put on tours and shit and just seeing all of the craziness of this world, without anyone specifically looking out for me. I was basically put into these situations and left alone, that shit is dangerous at sixteen, seventeen and eighteen years old. I was pretty confident and didn’t really have any fear at that time, so that didn’t help because I was basically open to any experiences that came my way. Obviously that involved drugs and shit like that.
That final verse is the version that you get now, still working on my own demons and shit in therapy. The things that I do now are in more of a controlled environment and on my own personal terms, I do shit that I want to do not because I feel like I have to do it, that for me is the difference right now. Too many years I spent feeling so much darkness and guilt over shit that everybody else is doing. This is a song about removing those chains from my own wrist finally.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The track begins immediately with a rapid-fire vocal delivery from Kara alongside an energetic trap beat, it has an instantaneous energy which belies the lyrical content at the beginning of the track but makes more sense later on, as Kara delivers the intro, “Honestly, I've spent too much of my life searching for answers/Answers that I just may never find/Constantly being pulled in different directions, like I'm on some manic shit that I can't figure out/Being young and in the spotlight can fuck a person up pretty damn bad/Doing everything I can to try to keep the shit that I do behind closed doors out of view from all those prying eyes/Trying to always be perfect in the eyes of the public/There comes a time when you finally grow up and just say fuck this/It's my time to shine/My past is my fucking past/My own future is mine.”

It's quickly followed by the first verse which tells a little more of the story, with the pacing of the vocal delivery on that energetic trap beat which seems to work well in terms of the overall tone and energy of the track musically, but again it contrasts with the songs lyrics at this stage, “I'm the next big thing, pushed out onstage being made to sing/Can barely speak my own name/At sixteen years old, expected to deal with this fame/Thrust into a life that's so full of excess/Told to keep away from it all when it's on easy access/Tryna keep my head straight/Tryna figure out these mixed messages/Doesn't matter what they say, can't keep me from stressin'/Rehab on speed dial/Got my dealer on redial/Gotta increase my profile/Live out this lifestyle/Repetitive cycle, call me the newest disciple/Guaranteed to go viral/This life is a spiral.” and it’s quickly followed by the songs hook and chorus combination that seems to just emphasize the tone of the songs opening section even further, “That shit got me fucked up/Living full of guilt/Always getting what I want/Never what I need.” which just highlights the idea of a young artist not given the support needed to keep control of her own mental and physical wellbeing. She delivers the chorus which proves this theory further, “They shoulda known better/Couldn't deal with the pressure/Learnt to own the person that I've become/No longer hiding/No longer on the run.” which hints at the next section of the song.

A brief break where the beat is allowed to move on its own, before Kara jumps back in with even more energy than the first section of the song, this time she raps about how she’s taking back the control and the narrative and owning all of her flaws and vices and embracing them going forward, “I've been the next big thing, but managed to shed that skin/Now I'm owning all my vices and every single sin/I'm determining my excesses forever/Sippin' Cristal, Cocaine addict/Lay me down, stretch me out, embracing the habit/White line fever/Everything feels sweeter/Let us take it deeper/Got me driving this pussy down, hands on your chest/I'm feeling this private party's about to get blessed/I can feel my ecstasy coming quick/You got me flowing/Perfect combo of tight and thick/When I'm riding on top, you know it's about to get lit.” which shows the eventual transition into someone taking back control of their own life and enjoying the thrills that this world can bring them. The songs hook and chorus returns once more before the song comes to an end.

“Easy Access”

"Honestly, I've spent too much of my life searching for answers
Answers that I just may never find
Constantly being pulled in different directions, like I'm on some manic shit that I can't figure out
Being young and in the spotlight can fuck a person up pretty damn bad
Doing everything I can to try to keep the shit that I do behind closed doors out of view from all those prying eyes
Trying to always be perfect in the eyes of the public
There comes a time when you finally grow up and just say fuck this
It's my time to shine
My past is my fucking past
My own future is mine

I'm the next big thing, pushed out onstage being made to sing
Can barely speak my own name
At sixteen years old, expected to deal with this fame
Thrust into a life that's so full of excess
Told to keep away from it all when it's on easy access
Tryna keep my head straight
Tryna figure out these mixed messages
Doesn't matter what they say, can't keep me from stressin'
Rehab on speed dial
Got my dealer on redial
Gotta increase my profile
Live out this lifestyle
Repetitive cycle, call me the newest disciple
Guaranteed to go viral
This life is a spiral

That shit got me fucked up
Living full of guilt
Always getting what I want
Never what I need

They shoulda known better
Couldn't deal with the pressure
Learnt to own the person that I've become
No longer hiding
No longer on the run

Living full of guilt
Never what I need

I've been the next big thing, but managed to shed that skin
Now I'm owning all my vices and every single sin
I'm determining my excesses forever
Sippin' Cristal, Cocaine addict
Lay me down, stretch me out, embracing the habit
White line fever
Everything feels sweeter
Let us take it deeper
Got me driving this pussy down, hands on your chest
I'm feeling this private party's about to get blessed
I can feel my ecstasy coming quick
You got me flowing
Perfect combo of tight and thick
When I'm riding on top, you know it's about to get lit

Living full of guilt
Never what I need

They shoulda known better
Couldn't deal with the pressure
Learnt to own the person that I've become
No longer hiding
No longer on the run”

Sound Alike;

Jhene Aiko – “Maniac”

Offline C4AJoh  
#12 Posted : 05 February 2023 18:57:16(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Medicate Me”
Length: 3:49

”Medicate Me” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. This track tackles the more darker aspects of Kara’s life, as it makes reference to her depression post-twenty-sixteen. She makes an indirect reference to her mother dying when she was young and how her and her father started going to church in an attempt to find some sort of comfort in the aftermath, however she addresses the fact that this didn’t work for her and that the only comfort or true relief came from medication both clinical and also self-medication in the form of marijuana and alcohol. The songs chorus and it’s title of course also alluding to the things that she started using to cope not only with that major life trauma but also most other difficult moments from within her life.

Quote:
“For real, this may be one of the realest and darkest tracks that I’ve written. There was a whole bunch of dark songs that I wrote during the ‘E.P’ recording sessions and a few of those got carried over into this record, this is one of those songs that would have definitely found it’s way onto the E.P if it had been finished in time for that release. But it wasn’t so I just kept hold of it. I think the track is pretty self-explanatory from the title and the lyrics make that shit even more clearer too. I’ve been dealing with trauma since I was a little kid, losing my mother, relocating from Spain to New York at a very early age, getting into the industry at sixteen and seeing shit I probably shouldn’t have been exposed to.
I think a lot of the alcohol and drug use throughout my life haven’t always been about chasing the high, but instead about coping with serious shit going on in my head. That’s why I rarely turned to that shit at parties, it was mostly in the quiet moments alone that I’d turn to my own vices. I think it’s something that can take some people a while to understand and figure out, but it was about surviving more than anything.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a strong energetic sound, drenched with electronic studio wizardry, it’s a contrast between the sound and the lyrics of the track as Kara delivers the opening verse, “I've seen darkness like you won't ever believe/Hard to see sunny side up when my world has a habit of crumbling down on me/Man, some days I just find it so much fucking harder to breathe/And they say things get better, you just gotta believe/After she left us, we started going to church/And the hymns that they sing make me feel sick with each verse/I tried to be the best, study hard and follow the rules/But I discovered my medication for the pain was marijuana and booze/I learnt that when you ain't got nothin'/You ain't got nothin' to lose.” and it works in the overall tone of the album which is one about not letting the darkness win. The combination of dark lyrics with a high energy musical backdrop almost showcases that even though the lyrics are targeting feelings of depression, the music remains energetic and fun to show that the darkness isn’t winning.

Kara continues into the pre-chorus “Nah, I've stumbled through the streets on cold nights/Looking for a body to keep me warm, right/It's crazy that I ain't died once in my whole life/Took so many chances running red lights/But for some fucked up reason, they just don't wanna take me/Don't wanna reunite me with the one person in the whole world that can fucking save me.” which is once again, a reference to her mother who died tragically when Kara was only a very young child. She makes reference to suicidal thoughts in an attempt to finally be with her mother.
She matches that idea in the songs chorus of her alternative to suicide, if she can’t be dead and finally be with her mother then she is instead asking for medication either prescribed or not to help her get through her feelings, “Please won't you medicate me/Man, I fucking hate me/Please won't you medicate me/Man, I fucking hate me.”

We arrive at the songs second verse and the energy continues to be big and energetic, providing an uplifting spirit to the song despite its theme. Kara steps up to the microphone once more and delivers the verse, “I like the medication cause it numbs me for a while/I guess inside I'm still a fucked up child/Twenty-six years old, thought that I'd be dead by now/Still kicking, don't know how/I've thought about it many times before/But I just don't have the stones to go through it all/I'll just keep living like I do/Without feeling a fucking thing/This is the shit so many people live through/Depression is the real pandemic/This shit's the real truth.” which explains the idea even further, slightly outdated pandemic references aside. We’re given the songs pre-chorus and chorus once more as the song comes to an end.

“Medicate Me”

“I've seen darkness like you won't ever believe
Hard to see sunny side up when my world has a habit of crumbling down on me
Man, some days I just find it so much fucking harder to breathe
And they say things get better, you just gotta believe
After she left us, we started going to church
And the hymns that they sing make me feel sick with each verse
I tried to be the best, study hard and follow the rules
But I discovered my medication for the pain was marijuana and booze
I learnt that when you ain't got nothin'
You ain't got nothin' to lose

Nah, I've stumbled through the streets on cold nights
Looking for a body to keep me warm, right
It's crazy that I ain't died once in my whole life
Took so many chances running red lights
But for some fucked up reason, they just don't wanna take me
Don't wanna reunite me with the one person in the whole world that can fucking save me

Please won't you medicate me
Man, I fucking hate me
Man, I fucking hate me

I like the medication cause it numbs me for a while
I guess inside I'm still a fucked up child
Twenty-six years old, thought that I'd be dead by now
Still kicking, don't know how
I've thought about it many times before
But I just don't have the stones to go through it all
I'll just keep living like I do
Without feeling a fucking thing
This is the shit so many people live through
Depression is the real pandemic
This shit's the real truth

Nah, I've stumbled through the streets on cold nights
Looking for a body to keep me warm, right
It's crazy that I ain't died once in my whole life
Took so many chances running red lights
But for some fucked up reason, they just don't wanna take me
Don't wanna reunite me with the one person in the whole world that can fucking save me

Man, I fucking hate me
Man, I fucking hate me”

Sound Alike;

Coi Leray – “Anxiety”

2001clay on 05/02/2023(UTC), BrownSugar on 21/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#13 Posted : 05 February 2023 18:59:35(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Signpost”
Genre(s): Rap, RnB
Length: 4:26
Songwriter(s): Kara Romero, Brayton Carter

”Signpost” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track centre’s around love and the complexity of modern dating and issues with labels and understanding where both stand, something that seems to be more evident in today’s modern dating scope. The emotions of confusion and anger are at the forefront of the track and the psychological aspect is one that is not only shown on this track but is more prevalent in the work from her album.

Quote:
“I think the battles that we all face on a daily basis shape us so much but it feels like only recently that people have started to understand and acknowledge their own minds and feelings a little more and become a little more aware of. I think pretty much every track that I’ve recorded for the album so far has had some sort of link to feeling, whether that be physical or mental. Certainly, even more so from a mental aspect. This falls under that category and I think most people that have tried dating in recent times could probably relate to this one. It’s definitely a track that comes from that modern day dating confusion and the all the fucked up little games that seem to just always surround that. There’s so many rules and little mind games that are played these days, it feels like you can never truly understand where you’re both at. I’ve gotta say though, this track is totally one sided. But it’s one that I think feels authentic to that modern day dating world. I know it’s completely fucking authentic to my own experiences. I think going into that dating world should come with a warning, maybe listen to this song if you’re about to open yourself up to that world again. All I could really say is stay strong, it’s fucking wild out there.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a repeated dreamwave-esque keyboard sound with a soft drumming beat heard faintly in the background, it’s not long before the opening lyrics are delivered by Kara in a smooth RnB vocal style which allows her to really give the theme and feeling of the song from the very outset as she sings over the RnB tinged music, “I know we never liked to label things/But all the signs seemed to indicate that we were something/I kinda thought we were good/Thought we were just trying to avoid the word love/Just so shit wouldn’t get complicated/We fucked almost every night that you were in my home.” which immediately give the tone of the track, despite her softly spoken delivery it’s clear that there’s an anger and frustration coming from the lyrical content as she sings about an understanding of both people not wanting to put a label on the relationship at the risk of ruining a good thing, despite all the evidence pointing clearly to the fact that they were indeed something.

The music continues in a similar vein as we progress to the chorus early on, the speed of the backing music has increased slightly as she switches up tone slightly to deliver another RnB tinged vocal delivery but this time with a little more assertiveness and anger in the tone, giving the feeling that we’re hearing her side of the argument, “Don’t even try to tell me that I should have seen the signs/When there wasn’t a single signpost/Don’t try to tell me that I should have read the signs/There wasn’t a single signpost/I guess I was the one/That was played the most.” and this gives us the very message of the track, drenched in confusion and skirting around the idea of saying what you truly feel, leaving one person comfortable and the other confused in a situation. The tone shift in vocal delivery matches the lyrical content as we delve deeper into the breakdown of a relationship.

The pace switches up completely as the chorus ends, the modern day RnB tone of the backing music fades out and we’re given a very beat heavy sound, drums and a bass highlighting this section of the track and as the music changes the vocal delivery does so too as Kara moves into full assertiveness as she jumps on the beat and delivers a rap verse that highlights the frustration and anger that lingers beyond the surface, “For all intents and purposes, we were together/You can try to manipulate the situation/Keep saying we ain’t had that conversation/But actions speak louder/Everybody could fucking see it/We were exclusive in every fucking way/You were with me almost every god damn day/It’s just something we didn’t wanna say/Because we’ve seen how once it’s said you ain’t ever truly get that magic back/You can call me naïve/But I won’t take that personal attack/You can come around here/Trying to make amends/But I won’t fall for that bullshit/Just so we can fuck again.” and it’s clear that the tender RnB vocal style is linked to the idea of her trying to understand and rationalise the hurt that she feels and the rap vocal delivery is her allowing herself to be angry.

The music switches back as we return to the songs chorus, “Don’t even try to tell me that I should have seen the signs/When there wasn’t a single signpost/Don’t try to tell me that I should have read the signs/There wasn’t a single signpost/I guess I was the one/That was played the most.” but this time is accompanied by a bridge which continues in that softer RnB delivery but with the lyrical content continuing in the assertive nature of the rap verse as she sings, “I’ve seen this shit happen before/But didn’t think I’d be the one to fall for it/Didn’t think that was your MO/But I should have fucking known it/Shouldn’t have been so trustin’.” we’re given the songs chorus once more before we move into the final section of the song.

The track switches tone again as we head into another rap verse, the softness making way for the drum heavy and faster paced verse as Kara moves into rap mode once more, “But you know me enough to know that once you’re out/You ain’t ever getting back in/I can be stubborn as fuck when I need to be/I know you keep calling me to talk/To try to smooth this shit over/But I can’t tolerate you loving me, when you’re fuckin’ wit another/It hurts inside/But I’ll keep my emotions undercover/Give me a moment to hurt/And then I’ll get over this/I’m strong enough to move past this shit/I take it as a lesson/To help me grow stronger.” and the internal calmness at accepting that she’s essentially done now, and that she’s said what she needed to say and let out whatever anger was needed to be let out is followed by one final return to the RnB vibe as she sings the songs chorus once more to play it out.

“Signpost”

“I know we never liked to label things
But all the signs seemed to indicate that we were something
I kinda thought we were good
Thought we were just trying to avoid the word love
Just so shit wouldn’t get complicated
We fucked almost every night that you were in my home

Don’t even try to tell me that I should have seen the signs
When there wasn’t a single signpost
Don’t try to tell me that I should have read the signs
There wasn’t a single signpost
I guess I was the one
That was played the most

For all intents and purposes, we were together
You can try to manipulate the situation
Keep saying we ain’t had that conversation
But actions speak louder
Everybody could fucking see it
We were exclusive in every fucking way
You were with me almost every god damn day
It’s just something we didn’t wanna say
Because we’ve seen how once it’s said you ain’t ever truly get that magic back
You can call me naïve
But I won’t take that personal attack
You can come around here
Trying to make amends
But I won’t fall for that bullshit
Just so we can fuck again

I guess I was the one
That was played the most

I’ve seen this shit happen before
But didn’t think I’d be the one to fall for it
Didn’t think that was your MO
But I should have fucking known it
Shouldn’t have been so trustin’

I guess I was the one
That was played the most

But you know me enough to know that once you’re out
You ain’t ever getting back in
I can be stubborn as fuck when I need to be
I know you keep calling me to talk
To try to smooth this shit over
But I can’t tolerate you loving me, when you’re fuckin’ wit another
It hurts inside
But I’ll keep my emotions undercover
Give me a moment to hurt
And then I’ll get over this
I’m strong enough to move past this shit
I take it as a lesson
To help me grow stronger

I guess I was the one
That was played the most”

Sound Alike;

Kehlani – “Serial Lover”

2001clay on 05/02/2023(UTC), BrownSugar on 21/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#14 Posted : 05 February 2023 19:01:13(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Dynamite”
Length: 3:28

”Dynamite” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. This track appears to be one that charts the recent resurgence of Kara’s career and the sudden influx of success that has gone with her name in the industry, having gone many years just being relatively unnoticed. She makes reference to being part of the industry’s elite and being onstage at an awards show, having to make a speech which could be a reference to her very unexpected FCA Award win in 2020 for Best Female Artist. It seems like the song finds a space between the mental aspect of success and the actual joy of success. It’s written about in a positive light but it still seems to shine a light on the idea that she may not consider herself worthy to be walking in those circles with the type of uber successful people that you would tend to be in the company with at awards shows.

Quote:
“This is another of those 2020 era songs, it came in the aftermath of the FCA Awards, I won that night and I don’t think anybody expected it in that room. It still feels like a mistake. But the track is directly influenced by that night, I met up with the guys from Orion, Alexis Brooke, Madison and a few other people and we stayed at the same hotel, literally all on the same floor of the hotel too. So we just hung out for that whole weekend together, we all went to the show sort of together and sat with each other and made the best out of a pretty new situation for all of us, maybe with the exception of Alexis who had done that all before with SYNCO but never on her own shit.
But yeah, it was a crazy night. We all felt super out of place sat in that audience. I think we caught about twenty minutes of the actual show, Orion had their dressing room backstage so they disappeared for some of the night because they were performing, while me, Alexis, Madison and a few other girls hung out in the girls bathroom smoking weed. We all just got back to our seats in time to see Orion perform and you can tell when I went up to get my award that I was high as fuck. I blame Maddie and Lexi, they were a bad influence. It’s totally on them.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a straightforward piano intro, with just an immediate key being played and the note being held to the point that for the songs chorus which also serves as the intro, it so minimal in terms of music backdrop that it could be almost acapella as Kara delivers it’s opening lines, “Money cannot buy this
Feeling tonight/This feeling tonight/Feel like I finally made it/Shit be blowin' up like dynamite/Shit be blowin' up like dynamite.”
and it serves it’s purpose in setting up the song perfectly. You can start to hear a few more keys played as we arrive at the opening verse of the song, it gives the song a much more fuller sound and Kara’s natural RnB vocal sound delivered in her hip-hop flow matches the piano beautifully, “Yesterday feels like I was fuckin' worthless/Dressed up, fucked up on the inside tryna look good on the surface/Then all of a sudden I feel like I've got a fuckin' purpose/Got people blowin' up my phone like my name is at a surplus/Spent most of my life on the wrong track/Spent most of that night smoking weed in the back/While the stars are waiting for me/My names being called/Nervous as fuck/Stepping onstage with no speech at all/High as fuck/I hope I don't fall.”

The piano slows down briefly as we arrive at the songs bridge, “Tryna chase away my demons/Hope they don't see this/Still got the smoke in my lungs/Motherfucker I've always been Z list.” which serves as a brief lead-in to the next verse of the song, “They say you only get one chance in this world to be great/You gotta take it all when it's sat on your plate/You gotta give it all no matter what it takes/And don't ever let it kill you/Let the pressure fucking thrill you/Thrive on that shit/Make sure you fuckin' make it.” and is quickly followed up by her final offering in the song, “Don't let the pressure ever break you/Don't let It overtake you/Don't settle for second place and learn to make do/You gotta learn to hurt a little for your dream to be reached/But that shit just makes you stronger/Harder to defeat/And then you can sing.” which gives the song a very powerful positive feeling. The chorus plays out one final time before the song comes to its end with the keys of the piano echoing in the background.

“Dynamite”

“Money cannot buy this
Feeling tonight
This feeling tonight
Feel like I finally made it
Shit be blowin' up like dynamite

Yesterday feels like I was fuckin' worthless
Dressed up, fucked up on the inside tryna look good on the surface
Then all of a sudden I feel like I've got a fuckin' purpose
Got people blowin' up my phone like my name is at a surplus
Spent most of my life on the wrong track
Spent most of that night smoking weed in the back
While the stars are waiting for me
My names being called
Nervous as fuck
Stepping onstage with no speech at all
High as fuck
I hope I don't fall

Tryna chase away my demons
Hope they don't see this
Still got the smoke in my lungs
Motherfucker I've always been Z list

They say you only get one chance in this world to be great
You gotta take it all when it's sat on your plate
You gotta give it all no matter what it takes
And don't ever let it kill you
Let the pressure fucking thrill you
Thrive on that shit
Make sure you fuckin' make it

Don't let the pressure ever break you
Don't let It overtake you
Don't settle for second place and learn to make do
You gotta learn to hurt a little for your dream to be reached
But that shit just makes you stronger
Harder to defeat
And then you can sing

Money cannot buy this
Feeling tonight
This feeling tonight
Feel like I finally made it
Shit be blowin' up like dynamite”

Sound Alike;

Jessie Reyez – “Great One”

Offline C4AJoh  
#15 Posted : 05 February 2023 19:02:04(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Grow Up”
Length: 3:42

”Dynamite” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track seems to be drenched in a feeling of nostalgia and melancholia, Kara making reference to how everything was supposed to be figured out when you grow older but the reality is that things become even more complicated and difficult as you grow older. It also makes reference to the creative droughts that Kara has experienced in her career as well as the fact that she used to take every drug but now only smokes weed and how she feels like she wants to be a major player in the music industry and write stuff that has some sort of emotional depth and meaning to someone. It’s a track more based in an RnB sound rather than the hip-hop and rap sound to the majority of the record, but it seems to slot in easily with the album as a whole.

Quote:
“This is one of the most introspective tracks on the album, just myself singing alongside the piano, creating the vibe. It’s one of those restless night songs, sat out on the balcony having a smoke and taking the sleeping the city in. There’s a whole lot of shit that don’t we don’t expect to have to deal with when we get older, but when that reality comes it fucking sucks because as a kid, you’re constantly told to wait until you get older and then you’ll have all this freedom you want to do the shit that you want to do and how everything will make sense when you get older. The reality, at least for me is that there’s a whole burden of weight that you have to carry. It makes it very difficult to let go of that heavy shit and enjoy the freedom and the good shit when it comes. Part of therapy is getting past that, learning to manage it and put it to one side, even if it is only temporary.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with soft piano tones, slight electronic effect adding in the studio afterwards but at its core it’s primarily a RnB piano ballad, it’s made even more clear as Kara sings in her RnB vocal style, it’s slower paced and more thoughtful, moving away from the rapid-fire hip-hop and rap style as she delivers the opening verse of the song, “They say when you grow up/This will all make perfect sense someday/You’ll figure it out when you’re older/Yeah, that’s what they say/I’m not a kid, but I’m still young enough/I’ve seen enough of this world to know that I’ve gotta be tough/It hurts because it gets lonely/I’ve already said goodbye to the old me/And all these friends I have don’t even know me/They say when you grow up/This will all make perfect sense someday/You’ll figure it out when you’re older/Yeah, that’s what they say.” and it puts the general theme of the song to the audience from the very beginning, knowing that this is going to be more of an emotional journey on this track.

Kara continues to sing over the piano sounds, creating the idea in your head of a full-fledged RnB ballad album from Kara having some very real potential if this track is anything to go by, “Never thought this is how it’d go when I got here/Thought I’d be in a fucking different headspace with no fear/Thought I’d surround myself with good people/But none of them are still here/They get out when the goings good/Maybe they saw something that I just couldn’t/And I find myself/All alone again/No support system/No one to call in on/Thoughts rushing constantly/Paranoid, I can’t fucking barely sleep/Knowing even my closest friends/Have been sleeping on me.” which adds to the emotion and the weight of the song as she sings about friendships that fall away as you grow older and start to grow apart.
She then moves into the songs chorus which drives the idea of the songs theme home even further, “They say when you grow up/This will all make perfect sense someday/You’ll figure it out when you’re older/Yeah, that’s what they say/They say when you grow up/This will all make perfect sense someday/You’ll figure it out when you’re older/Yeah, that’s what they say.”

We then move into the final verse of the song, the last chance to stick the landing on this emotional journey, the piano keys echoing for seconds after the note has been played, adding to the emotive weight even further as she delivers her final salvo, “See internally I’ve felt myself changing for the past year or so/I don’t rely on the unhealthy shit that I did before/It gave me too many distractions from the matter at hand/A five year creative drought/I hope ya’ll understand/I get a little lost sometimes/Can’t quite locate the right way that is up/Get a little overwhelmed in my mind/Fucked up little thoughts/Used to take every fucking drug/Now I’m just hitting blunts/Surrounding myself with people that help raise me up/I wanna be more than what I’ve been before/I wanna be a creative force/I wanna write about shit that means something/I want a seat at that table/And this is the first time/In the longest time/That I fucking feel able.” as she addresses the feelings that she’d had about never truly being talented enough to surround herself with her peers in the music industry. The songs chorus comes in once more before the song comes to an end.

“Grow Up”

“They say when you grow up
This will all make perfect sense someday
You’ll figure it out when you’re older
Yeah, that’s what they say
I’m not a kid, but I’m still young enough
I’ve seen enough of this world to know that I’ve gotta be tough
It hurts because it gets lonely
I’ve already said goodbye to the old me
And all these friends I have don’t even know me
They say when you grow up

Never thought this is how it’d go when I got here
Thought I’d be in a fucking different headspace with no fear
Thought I’d surround myself with good people
But none of them are still here
They get out when the goings good
Maybe they saw something that I just couldn’t
And I find myself
All alone again
No support system
No one to call in on
Thoughts rushing constantly
Paranoid, I can’t fucking barely sleep
Knowing even my closest friends
Have been sleeping on me

See internally I’ve felt myself changing for the past year or so
I don’t rely on the unhealthy shit that I did before
It gave me too many distractions from the matter at hand
A five year creative drought
I hope ya’ll understand
I get a little lost sometimes
Can’t quite locate the right way that is up
Get a little overwhelmed in my mind
Fucked up little thoughts
Used to take every fucking drug
Now I’m just hitting blunts
Surrounding myself with people that help raise me up
I wanna be more than what I’ve been before
I wanna be a creative force
I wanna write about shit that means something
I want a seat at that table
And this is the first time
In the longest time
That I fucking feel able

Yeah, that’s what they say”

Sound Alike;

Kiana Ledé – “Get In The Way”

Offline C4AJoh  
#16 Posted : 06 February 2023 02:41:16(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “DL”
Length: 3:19
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Nevaeh Martinez, Cory Dionne

”DL” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track is based around the difficulties of having a relationship in the music industry with another person that is also in the music industry. It tackles the challenges of busy schedules, always being away from each other and having to rely on video calls in different time zones, it also makes reference to having to keep things on the downlow which is obviously referenced in the songs title and how often the musicians fans tend to figure these things out pretty quickly and it’s almost impossible to keep secret for very long. She also makes reference to the amount of people that are attempting to meet and get intimate with the artists on a nightly basis, proving difficult to trust in these relationships due to the amount of options available to those involved.

Quote:
“This track is purely taken from experience, it’s a weird fucking thing trying to date if you’re in the spotlight. People wonder why famous people only tend to date other famous people, it’s simple to the rest of us. It’s because those are the people that we are closest to and it’s also because we have the tools to be able to deal with that spotlight. If I started dated some regular guy, suddenly he’d be thrown into this celebrity world where there’s a lot to fucking take, it’s not easy, I respect anybody that can jump into that world. But for me, most relationships have usually been with people around the business because they’re usually the people you meet and interact with the most in your life.
You can only keep things quiet for so long, I’ve always tried to keep my relationships both long term and casual as private as I can because once people know, that’s when things start to get more complicated. Plus there’s this unwritten rule that I’ve seen in past relationships, where people want to protect their image and the thought of confirming that they’re not single, or that they’re fucking around with someone might actually affect their popularity. It’s all a little bullshit to me, but it’s just part of the weirdness of dating in the industry sometimes.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with an electro-pop sounding vibe alongside a soft RnB/Hip-Hop beat, it gives the song an underlying emotive feeling with a little more energy than a pure RnB ballad, but Kara delivers the song in a more slower paced RnB singing style as she delivers the opening, ”I feel how I feel, it's legit to me/Would be so much easier to take the L for the defeat/Got numbers blowin' up my phone ready to fuck wit me'/But when it's just you and me, that shit's real/You're in and out of my life/I understand it/Life on the road, can't fight it/FaceTime to keep this fire burning inside/Million miles away hurts sometimes.” and she continues this style as she immediately moves into the next section, “But baby you know I'm good for the ride/I'll take the distance/Cause the reunite is like fire/Absence makes the heart grow fonder/It builds up the desire.” showcasing the songs theme of falling in love in the industry.

She continues the idea of an industry relationship as she moves into the next section of the song, beginning to reference the various challenges that artists face when getting into relationship while in the spotlight, “I'll take the shit from the talkers and fakes/That just don't know nothing about what it takes/To be committed to someone/To have that trust/No fuckboys or thirsty bitches/Can ruin this love.” as we arrive once more at the songs hook, “I'll take the distance/Cause the reunite is like fire/Absence makes the heart grow fonder/It builds up the desire.”

As we arrive at the final portion of the short but catchy track, she delivers her final offering on the topic at hand, “This lifestyle is fucked, that's just how it is/Got to keep this shit on the DL just to protect the biz/We keeping this shit secret/But the fanbase have guessed it/Logging into Twitter/You're all up in my mentions.” before moving on to the songs hook once more, “I'll take the distance/Cause the reunite is like fire/Absence makes the heart grow fonder/It builds up the desire/I'll take the shit from the talkers and fakes/That just don't know nothing about what it takes/To be committed to someone/To have that trust/No fuckboys or thirsty bitches/Can ruin this love.” as the song comes to an end.

”DL”

"I feel how I feel, it's legit to me
Would be so much easier to take the L for the defeat
Got numbers blowin' up my phone ready to fuck wit me'
But when it's just you and me, that shit's real
You're in and out of my life
I understand it
Life on the road, can't fight it
FaceTime to keep this fire burning inside
Million miles away hurts sometimes

But baby you know I'm good for the ride
I'll take the distance
Cause the reunite is like fire
Absence makes the heart grow fonder
It builds up the desire

I'll take the shit from the talkers and fakes
That just don't know nothing about what it takes
To be committed to someone
To have that trust
No fuckboys or thirsty bitches
Can ruin this love

I'll take the distance
It builds up the desire

This lifestyle is fucked, that's just how it is
Got to keep this shit on the DL just to protect the biz
We keeping this shit secret
But the fanbase have guessed it
Logging into Twitter
You're all up in my mentions

I'll take the distance
It builds up the desire

I'll take the shit from the talkers and fakes
That just don't know nothing about what it takes
To be committed to someone
To have that trust
No fuckboys or thirsty bitches
Can ruin this love

I'll take the distance
It builds up the desire"

Sound Alike;

Tinashe – “Like I Used To”

2001clay on 06/02/2023(UTC), BrownSugar on 21/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#17 Posted : 06 February 2023 02:45:51(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Twenty-Four Seven” (feat. Drew Westbrook)
Length: 4:53
Songwriter(s): Kara Romero, Drew Westbrook
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Drew Westbrook, Brayton Carter, Jadyn Ghalen, Jamal Ghalen

”Twenty-Four Seven” (feat. Drew Westbrook) is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track see’s Kara and Drew Westbrook team up with a track about complete passion, it’s just a song that centres on two people that are completely into each other in a very physical way. Referencing how they like to fight because it gives them the passion for each other and how they like to express themselves when it comes to sex. Drew making reference to how he likes to take charge, not being able to resist and Kara referencing how his confidence and attitude turns her on and that she likes when things get a little heated between them.

Quote:
“I’ve always stayed clear of collabs but recently I’ve become more and more open to the idea. Those fresh ideas coming into the studio helps with the creative process and if it’s done right, I think it can be a great thing. I think the longer I’m around this industry the more importance I place on the connections with my peers and contemporaries. It would be a big mistake not to reach out in that way. Maybe now, I feel like I’ve earnt enough cache to be able to call some of these people and ask work with them on that level.
Anybody that knows me will use words like ‘free spirit’ and all that shit, that’s the way that I’ve always been. But I’ve only recently become open to the idea of saying so much in my songs and being as vivid with my words. I was sixteen when I debuted in the industry and I saw how you can be scrutinised for things so easily. I was sixteen and I was in the music industry, like you grow up real fuckin’ quick and you find yourself experiencing things that other people at that age probably don’t. I would have been shamed out of the industry at that time if I was writing songs about the shit that we were all doing backstage and on tour and at parties. So I shied away from keeping that lifestyle away from my writing. I feel like writing more honestly now at 26, I know that I can handle that intrusion and questions over the things that I write about. Back then, honesty would have probably killed my career completely.”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a soft dreamy rnb influenced piano sound, with a rhythmic drumming backbeat to set the slower pace of the track from the very beginning as Kara opens up the track with a slow paced, sensual RnB vocal delivery, “It’s like every time we fight, we always seem to fuck better/It’s good to know the passion’s still there/Baby you know that I’ll let ya/It hasn’t always been so easy for us/But we make it through/Always had our share of fights, turning out the bedroom lights/No talking or fist throwing/We always throw it down in bed/Your tongue does the apologizing/Making up and giving head/We’re both just as fucked up as each other/I think we fuck so rough/Cause we like our names screamed back at us/Feed the ego/It’s never enough.” as she sings about the passion within a relationship, her use of her slower and more sensual singing vocal style working well with the theme of the song and the backing music throughout the song, a switch up from her regular rap delivery style.

As the second verse arrives, Drew immediately steps into the track effortlessly, again focussing on the RnB vocal delivery style but as Drew delivers his verse, it’s slightly more faster paced as he picks up where Kara left off, “It's like every time we fight, it's just to make up/Go to sleep mad, grind on me when you wake up/When you act up I know what you really want/Throw you on the bed, fold you up like a croissant/I'm a rich, fit nigga, 8 pack, 8 figures/And if she a figure 8, I gotta keep her in the picture/Always talking trash, I just can't get too mad/Cus when I smack that, I know it got that bounce back.” again focussing on the fallout of a relationship and the eventual make-up, which highlights the tracks entire theme. Towards the end of Drew’s opening verse, the pace of the music increases slightly in anticipation of the tracks chorus.
As the chorus arrives, Kara steps up to the microphone and delivers it, fast paced and assertive which is in keeping with her recognizable rap delivery style which gives the track a brief change of pace, “I love your fuckin’ body/It’s so fuckin’ godly/Feels like heaven/I want you 24/7/I love your fuckin’ body/It’s so fuckin’ godly/Feels like heaven/I want you 24/7.” which gives the song it’s immediate accessibility point, providing a catchy chorus that is crafted to be the sort of chorus to get stuck in the listeners head all day long.

The music slows back down to the pace heard in the opening verse, again the smooth piano sound and soft drumming backbeat providing the entire rhythm of the song in it’s RnB style, Kara adapting her vocal delivery once more to her RnB delivery, “Yeah, I think I prefer you when you’ve got an attitude/You get so cocky, make me wanna fuck you/I’ll take passion over all that safe shit/You can try to be romantic but I just wanna take it/Yeah, I just want it all/Live a life so full/That when we crash and burn/We fucking explode/And babe I know how much you’re into me/Cause I can handle myself/Just like you fuckin’ need/But I like to have help/And you give everything you have to me/And when we come together/We do it so passionately/And when we come together/We do it so passionately.” which continues the theme of the song, it’s vivid imagery being the recent chosen style of Kara’s music.

Which leads to Drew making one final appearance on the track and having the final verse of the song, he almost immediately jumps onto the beat as Kara finishes her verse but the music increases in intensity to match with his sudden fast-paced delivery for the final verse, “If you ain’t gon let me off the hook, please, don't give me that look/Next time you raise your voice I’mma have you screaming 'Brooks/I’mma take you back to class but ain't no timeouts for that ass/Bout to rule ya with my ruler, deep strokes until you pass out/I foam at the mouth, that booty looking round/Them titties never droop, that pussy never drought/You know I go nuts, it's true what they say about them crazies/Keep acting like a child and Ima fill you with some babies.” This is followed by Kara delivering the songs chorus one final time before the music fades out to it’s end.

“Twenty Four Seven” (feat. Drew Westbrook)

(Kara)
“It’s like every time we fight, we always seem to fuck better
It’s good to know the passion’s still there
Baby you know that I’ll let ya
It hasn’t always been so easy for us
But we make it through
Always had our share of fights, turning out the bedroom lights
No talking or fist throwing
We always throw it down in bed
Your tongue does the apologizing
Making up and giving head
We’re both just as fucked up as each other
I think we fuck so rough
Cause we like our names screamed back at us
Feed the ego
It’s never enough

(Drew)
It's like every time we fight, it's just to make up
Go to sleep mad, grind on me when you wake up
When you act up I know what you really want
Throw you on the bed, fold you up like a croissant
I'm a rich, fit nigga, 8 pack, 8 figures
And if she a figure 8, I gotta keep her in the picture
Always talking trash, I just can't get too mad
Cus when I smack that, I know it got that bounce back

I love your fuckin’ body
It’s so fuckin’ godly
Feels like heaven
I want you 24/7
I love your fuckin’ body
It’s so fuckin’ godly
Feels like heaven
I want you 24/7

(Kara)
Yeah, I think I prefer you when you’ve got an attitude
You get so cocky, make me wanna fuck you
I’ll take passion over all that safe shit
You can try to be romantic but I just wanna take it
Yeah, I just want it all
Live a life so full
That when we crash and burn
We fucking explode
And babe I know how much you’re into me
Cause I can handle myself
Just like you fuckin’ need
But I like to have help
And you give everything you have to me
And when we come together
We do it so passionately
And when we come together
We do it so passionately

(Drew)
If you ain’t gon let me off the hook, please, don't give me that look
Next time you raise your voice I’mma have you screaming 'Brooks
I’mma take you back to class but ain't no timeouts for that ass
Bout to rule ya with my ruler, deep strokes until you pass out
I foam at the mouth, that booty looking round
Them titties never droop, that pussy never drought
You know I go nuts, it's true what they say about them crazies
Keep acting like a child and Ima fill you with some babies

I love your fuckin’ body
It’s so fuckin’ godly
Feels like heaven
I want you 24/7
I love your fuckin’ body
It’s so fuckin’ godly
Feels like heaven
I want you 24/7”

Sound Alike;

Summer Walker – “Girls Need Love” (feat. Drake)

thanks 4 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 21/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#18 Posted : 06 February 2023 02:48:33(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “When Will We Get Our Flowers”
Length: 5:03

”When Will We Get Our Flowers” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The latest track from the album see’s Kara venturing back into socio-political mode and she takes aim at the recent US governmental decision to overturn the Roe v Wade ruling that gave abortion rights to its citizens, a ruling that stood for 50 years. It’s not the first time that the musician has ventured into political or social commentary within her music, most notably in 2020 in the aftermath of the George Floyd murder she delivered a track titled “Are We One?” which called into question the level of police brutality against minorities and name checked a number of black men and women historically that were dealt the same fate, the track was released in conjunction with the ‘Black Lives Matter’ foundation and the track was actually a reworked version of a previous socially charged release from Romero titled “We Are One” which tackled terrorism and mass shooting in the aftermath of the Charleston and Charlie Hebdo incidents. Being vocal in her support of causes that she believes in strongly has been an important factor throughout her career as evidenced further in this track.

Quote:
“Man, I said in a recent interview that I’m too pissed off and angry to write a song about the recent Roe v Wade decision and it turns out that this is exactly what I needed to be to write about this. With rap music, it’s a perfect tool for anger because you can step in a booth with so much shit on your mind, flick that switch and just go the fuck off. I was fucking around in the studio with Cory the day this song came up, we were putting the finishing touches on another track from the album and my focus was shifting all over the place that day. Like it wasn’t specifically on the whole decision that was made in government, I think it was just one of those bad days where I woke up pissed off and angry at the world. The whole thing was at the forefront of my mind as it was for a lot of people when it happened. I think I was pissing Cory off in the production booth because I wasn’t happy with any of the mixes and shit we were working on and he was just like, ‘Yo, you need to sort yourself out because this shit just isn’t productive right now.’ And he gave me a couple of options, he said I can either get out of the studio and take a walk down the block or get in the booth and rap whatever shit I was pissed off at out of my system.

We ain’t been working together for very long, dude ain’t earned that level of honesty with me just yet but I respected it. Respected him for not being afraid to say what was needed to be said in order to get shit done. I said ‘fuck it’ and went into the booth, aimed my anger at people in general but after a few bars my aim switched to this whole fucked up situation that our country has put itself into. I guess it was trying to hide itself, but it came to the surface eventually and out came the two verse that you hear on the track as well as few others that didn’t make the cut. We listened back and agreed this is something we should take a second look at as a possible track, we brought Nevaeh into the studio for the track since she was working with us for another couple of songs on the album and we figured out like an old school soul sounding hook and a chorus for it which she’s kind of an expert in that sort of sound and within around a week we had another finished track that we had to find a way to get added into the record.

We played the finished version of the track to the label and Nevaeh pitched it to them as a possible single which they weren’t too pleased with considering they had signed off on the roll-out for the first three singles, we fought real fucking hard to push it out after the lead single and the remix and Neveah even put up some of her own money to make that shit happen. Finally we figured it out with the label and the charity obligations, Dahlhouse stepped in and basically became the financial backer of the track for the physical formats because that’s where the majority of the proceeds would be coming from and we managed to figure that shit out eventually. There’s so many boxes to tick in the process of something like this, but everybody involved could see that it was a single that needed to be rush-released as a matter of urgency in terms of the support that we can hopefully give to the charity involved. So a lot of credit has to go to the people involved alongside myself, Cory for getting the track out of me, Nevaeh for the her record exec expertise and funding, Dahlhouse for the financial backing to support the release and make sure we can get all proceeds to the charity and Just Record and TJ for always being willing to adapt to the last minute whims and waiving any potential profit they could have gained from the track. Shines a big fucking light on the background players that you don’t always hear about in these sort of situations but we managed to make that shit happen very quick.

– Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a piano intro, slow-paced and scene setting it gives space for the song to breathe immediately, beyond the soft tones of the piano keys is absolute silence for the first eight seconds before we hear the door of the recording booth shut close, the sound of static hum as the microphone is adjusted and finally the sound of Kara’s sigh as she’s begins to deliver her words, in a low energy and almost exhausted sounding tone she begins the songs intro, “Uh huh, here we go again/America twenty-twenty-two gone fucked it again/Just seems these days that they go from one bad decision to another/What kind of fucked up shit is this?/Seems like we’ve gotten all pre-historic up in this bitch/That a young girl can be preyed upon, sexually assaulted and forced to co-parent with her rapist/We’re removing the protection of the most vulnerable among us/I thought government was meant to serve us/Not disturb us/Man, I thought government was meant to serve us/Not fucking disturb us.” and as we come towards the end of that intro, we hear the exhausted voice filled with cracks and breaks as her emotions start to flow into her vocal delivery just as that intro comes to an end.

The piano backing disappears as the intro ends, giving us a couple of seconds of complete silence before a snare drum kicks in and a repetitive drum fill takes over the track, adding a little more urgency and old school east coast hip-hop beat to the track. This change of pace allows Kara to do just that, the on the verge of tears vocal delivery from the intro is replaced by an aggressive rap verse drenched in anger and frustration as she snarls into the microphone, “My feet are so damn tired of marching/Placards and endless chanting/Makes me sick that they can remove a right so fundamental on a whim/And sit back comfortably watching another fucking mass shooting happening all over again/Honestly, it’s like they’re rolling back the clock/To a world prior to progression/Every time I believe we’re making small steps forward/It feels like it’s not long before we’re back to that familiar regression/Soon we’ll be back to the nineteen-twenties again/Wearing aprons, serving food on the table for all those incredible strong men/Occasionally talking but never really saying anything/Feeling tired of this shit/Repetitive culture of oppression/There’s not enough therapy and pills to cure me of this depression.” and with that verse she delivers something biting and assertive, making her stance very clear while playing around with her words ending with a reference to her past E.P titled “The Therapy Sessions”, making fun of her own history of therapy and medication, essentially asking “is there any wonder why I suffer from depression.”

She drops the aggressive rap style briefly as we reach the songs hook and chorus combination, delivering a tender and vocally sound RnB delivery over the drum fill sound that highlighted the previous verse, she blends modern RnB vocals with what feels like old school soul lyrics during the hook, “Sister don’t cry/We’ll just have to shout louder/Sister please don’t cry/We’ll just have to fight a little longer/Sister don’t cry/Remain a little stronger/Sister don’t cry/This fucking war isn’t over.” and then sings out the tracks chorus with a slightly more powerhouse RnB delivery “When will we get our flowers/Been fighting so hard just to be fucking equal/When will we get our flowers/It can’t end like this, there must be a sequel/When will we get our flowers/That shit is long overdue/When will we get our flowers/All we want are human rights for me and you.” it’s simplistic in its nature, highlighting the female empowerment message of sticking together and fighting together at the hopes of getting a reversal of the decision perhaps.

She switches up the pace once more as she delivers her final verse, blending different social issues from the past with the current and questioning how much of our human rights are we going to have removed and how far back are we going to be set in the aftermath of this decision. The beat remains the same but the vocals ramp up in aggression once more, switching from smooth RnB to aggressive socially conscious east coast rap “When will we get our flowers?/Feels like we’ve been fighting these type of battles for an eternity/And now they’ve gone and taken one of the rare good things they ever gave to you and me/Fifty years and now they’re overturning that shit/Essentially putting countless lives at risk in the process of all of this/What fucked up sort of world are we living in?/Are we still considering sex before marriage a fucking sin?/What fucked up sort of world are we living in?/Are we still considering homosexuality a fucking sin?/What other human rights are they going to take away from us next/Are we going to go back to segregation?/Are they going to ban relations of the same sex?/Are we living in a pre-historic nation/That an abortion is an abomination no matter the fucking reason/How about an open conversation/On a human level in a world where everybody breathing is equal/Is that too much too ask?/Fuck it, keep your sequel/I’d rather die in the first act.” which see’s her message come full circle as the reference to dying in the first act could be seen as the abortion itself. She delivers the songs hook and chorus once more before the song fades out.

“When Will We Get Our Flowers”

{Intro}
“Uh huh, here we go again
America twenty-twenty-two gone fucked it again
Just seems these days that they go from one bad decision to another
What kind of fucked up shit is this?
Seems like we’ve gotten all pre-historic up in this bitch
That a young girl can be preyed upon, sexually assaulted and forced to co-parent with her rapist
We’re removing the protection of the most vulnerable among us
I thought government was meant to serve us
Not disturb us
Man, I thought government was meant to serve us
Not fucking disturb us

My feet are so damn tired of marching
Placards and endless chanting
Makes me sick that they can remove a right so fundamental on a whim
And sit back comfortably watching another fucking mass shooting happening all over again
Honestly, it’s like they’re rolling back the clock
To a world prior to progression
Every time I believe we’re making small steps forward
It feels like it’s not long before we’re back to that familiar regression
Soon we’ll be back to the nineteen-twenties again
Wearing aprons, serving food on the table for all those incredible strong men
Occasionally talking but never really saying anything
Feeling tired of this shit
Repetitive culture of oppression
There’s not enough therapy and pills to cure me of this depression

Sister don’t cry
We’ll just have to shout louder
Sister please don’t cry
We’ll just have to fight a little longer
Sister don’t cry
Remain a little stronger
Sister don’t cry
This fucking war isn’t over

When will we get our flowers
Been fighting so hard just to be fucking equal
It can’t end like this, there must be a sequel
That shit is long overdue
All we want are human rights for me and you

When will we get our flowers?
Feels like we’ve been fighting these type of battles for eternity
And now they’ve gone and taken one of the rare good things they ever gave to you and me
Fifty years and now they’re overturning that shit
Essentially putting countless lives at risk in the process of all of this
What fucked up sort of world are we living in?
Are we still considering sex before marriage a fucking sin?
What fucked up sort of world are we living in?
Are we still considering homosexuality a fucking sin?
What other human rights are they going to take away from us next
Are we going to go back to segregation?
Are they going to ban relations of the same sex?
Are we living in a pre-historic nation
That an abortion is an abomination no matter the fucking reason
How about an open conversation
On a human level in a world where everybody breathing is equal
Is that too much too ask?
Fuck it, keep your sequel
I’d rather die in the first act

Sister don’t cry
We’ll just have to shout louder
Sister please don’t cry
We’ll just have to fight a little longer
Sister don’t cry
Remain a little stronger
Sister don’t cry
This fucking war isn’t over

Been fighting so hard just to be fucking equal
It can’t end like this, there must be a sequel
That shit is long overdue
All we want are human rights for me and you”

Sound Alike;

Rapsody – “Crown”

2001clay on 06/02/2023(UTC), BrownSugar on 21/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 13/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#19 Posted : 06 February 2023 03:03:06(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Hit List”
Length: 4:17

”Hit List” is a song by Kara Romero, taken from her 2023 album “Post-Traumatic”. The track see’s Kara move completely into her full liberation mode as she compares herself to an assassin, crafting her own booty call list and comparing it to an assassins hit list as the general metaphor for the entire song. The track see’s Kara at her most free. She talks about enjoying being on her own and not getting attached to people. Using her own booty call list in order to satisfy whatever needs she has at any given time.

Quote:
”It’s crazy that there’s still this sort of stigma in certain circles when it comes to sex. I’ve had conversations with my girl friends for years over this and they all have that same feeling of worry and self-doubt and find themselves holding back because they’ve got this unrealistic image of how they should act and how they should behave even when they’re young and single. Men, don’t have that same hurdle when it comes to shit like that because it’s like a fuckin’ badge of honor if they’re out fuckin’ different girls every night. Ya’ll don’t need to be out there running through guys if that ain’t what you want but you also shouldn’t be feeling the type of judgement internally and externally that us girls do if we have a period of time in our lives when we do decide to run through a few dudes. We ain’t all that fuckin’ different, believe me. Like a lot of us are after that shit in very much the same way, we just have to be more subtle and low-key about it, unfortunately. This song for real is about that fuck ya’ll attitude, I’m on some typa shit right now and I’mma go out and fuckin’ conquer in this aspect. I wanna fuck around, I’m gonna fuck around and have some fun with it”
- Kara Romero

Song Description;

The song begins with a soft acoustic guitar sound, it’s being played in a Spanish style with fingerpicking and using the base of the guitar to provide the beat to the song also, it’s relatively slow-paced, giving a relaxed vibe as Kara delivers her opening lyrics, “I'm always good on my own, fuck it's all I've ever known/Got em' all tryna change me, catching feels/Talkin' bout love/But I'm not all about that/I've sometimes stumbled and fallen for the concept/But I'm on a new wave, on some new shit/This bitch is just out here building up her motherfuckin' hit list.” which immediately gives the topic and theme of the song from it’s opening verse. She quickly follows this up with the hook, “I like to leave em' needing me/I like to leave em' on their knees/I like to leave em' begging please/I like to leave em' needing me.”

The acoustic guitar continues to play but is a little quicker as we arrive at the songs chorus, “They seem to get this twisted/I'm like an assassin working unassisted/I'm just out here adding names and numbers to my hit list/They seem to get this twisted/I'm like an assassin working unassisted/I'm just out here adding names and numbers to my hit list.” it’s catchy chorus and adds to the relative playfulness of the song and it’s slightly tongue in cheek nature. She immediately follows this up with another verse which goes into a little more vivid detail, “They think they got me figured for a short bitch/Five feet and two inches, think they've gotta go easy with it/Crazy bitch likes the physical shit/Wanna be thrown around and stretched out, get real lit/Just know I ain't gonna break/Baby, I can handle it/By the end of the session, sweat drippin', we connectin'/It's always round two I'm expecting/Stamina gotta be on full max, no disrespectin'/Hoppin' off and on, changing it up like it's an Olympic routine we're perfecting/It's perfect how it is, don't risk it/No feelings involved, legit/Just go with it.” which again drives home the topic of the song before the songs hook and chorus come back into play before the song comes to an end.

“Hit List”

“I'm always good on my own, fuck it's all I've ever known
Got em' all tryna change me, catching feels
Talkin' bout love
But I'm not all about that
I've sometimes stumbled and fallen for the concept
But I'm on a new wave, on some new shit
This bitch is just out here building up her motherfuckin' hit list

I like to leave em' needing me
I like to leave em' on their knees
I like to leave em' begging please

They seem to get this twisted
I'm like an assassin working unassisted
I'm just out here adding names and numbers to my hit list

They think they got me figured for a short bitch
Five feet and two inches, think they've gotta go easy with it
Crazy bitch likes the physical shit
Wanna be thrown around and stretched out, get real lit
Just know I ain't gonna break
Baby, I can handle it
By the end of the session, sweat drippin', we connectin'
It's always round two I'm expecting
Stamina gotta be on full max, no disrespectin'
Hoppin' off and on, changing it up like it's an Olympic routine we're perfecting
It's perfect how it is, don't risk it
No feelings involved, legit
Just go with it

I like to leave em' on their knees
I like to leave em' begging please

I'm just out here adding names and numbers to my hit list”

Sound Alike;

Jessie Reyez – “Body Count”

Offline C4AJoh  
#20 Posted : 06 February 2023 03:07:16(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Are We One?” (feat. Jay-C, Stephanie Fierce)
Length: 5:39
Songwriter(s): Kara Romero, Jamel Carter
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Jamel Carter, Stephanie Fierce

Song Description;

The track opens with heavy drums alongside moody instrumentation as Kara delivers the opening verse which feels more like an introduction to catch people up, she raps about how nothing has really changed since the original track in 2016 and delivers lyrics about how she's not sure how much will change while the wrong people are leading the country before landing on a repetitive hook “The land of the free, feels like a prison to you and me/The land of the free/Feels like a prison to you and me.”

Stephanie Fierce arrives on the track with the songs main hook, delivered in a soulful and emotive performance as she repeats the names of past victims who have been killed needlessly at the hands of police brutality, “Are you Amadou Diallo? Are you Eric Garner? Are you Ezell Ford? Are you Tamir Rice?/Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are you George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?” is sung in a way that feels eerie, almost like a vigil.
She's followed by a brief appearance from Kara as she changes gears and sings, “Open your eyes wider when it's harder to see/Scream from your lungs/We can't breathe.” as she sings for the people that have been protesting in an attempt to bring about change.

Jay-C then delivers a rap verse which is primarily based around the anger felt at this time, “Can't stand this stress/Angry, vexed/Tryna get out the system, I ain't planned it yet.” signals his feelings immediately which only continue to grow as the rap goes on, “In the pain of this shame, now we go insane!/Fuck all these big rims and all these big ass chains!/Ignore the price, refuse the blame/Words exchange, we better stand up for change.” which has the potential to be one of the most powerful lyrics of the year so far. Rapped with aggression and passion his words feel like a call to arms as the music becomes heavier in the process. Repeated verses continue to close out the song.

“Are We One? (feat. Jay-C & Stephanie Fierce)”

[Kara Romero]
“Alright here we go again, a song wrote in twenty-sixteen remixed
Not a lot has changed since then
We're still living in a world of prejudice and injustice
Marches on the streets have become common place these days
We can stand up and revolt
But without the right person at the top
It doesn't matter how loud we shout, this shit will never stop
The land of the free, feels like a prison to you and me
The land of the free
Feels like a prison to you and me

[Stephanie Fierce]
Are you Amadou Diallo? Are you Eric Garner? Are you Ezell Ford? Are you Tamir Rice?
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are you George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?
Are you Amadou Diallo? Are you Eric Garner? Are you Ezell Ford? Are you Tamir Rice?
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are your George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are your George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?

[Kara Romero]
Open your eyes wider when it's harder to see
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe

[Jay-C Verse]
Can’t stand this stress,
Angry, vexed,
Tryna get out the system, I ain't planned it yet,
The roads are cold, damp and wet,
You would of thought it rained ‘ere, reindeer like Santa’s pet
I don’t wanna be stuck, on the block
Or get caught by the cops, every week we gettin' stopped
Worried if they gonna turn around and bust the glock!
Truth never heard, lips closed tight
Military state, daring you to fight
Taking life if you shed some light
Live fast, die young, ignore what’s right
This is the hand that feeds, now you bet not bite

In the pain of this shame, now we go insane!
Fuck all these big rims and all these big ass chains!
Ignore the price, refuse the blame
Words exchange, we better stand up for change
Kill the colored, they try to put out our flame
Such a shame, but now WE ready, take aim!

[Stephanie Fierce]
Are you Philando Castile? Are you Bettie Jones? Are you George Floyd? Are you Botham Jean?

[Kara Romero]
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe
Scream from your lungs
We can't breathe”