logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2023 08:42:16(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19112 time(s) in 7584 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Layla
Title: Room for Three
Genre(s): Pop
Length: 3:23
Writers: L.Sanchez, C.Flores
Producer: BLOOM
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: TBC

Room for Three is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Layla. It serves as the lead single from her upcoming, yet-to-be-titled second studio album which is due for release later this year. The song was released on February 23rd, 2023 after being announced by Sanchez across her social media accounts two days prior. It marks her first release since 2021's "Miami Smooth", the fourth and final single lifted from her debut album, "Feel No Fear". Like her more recent release, "Room for Three" was also written by Layla alongside Cristian Flores, aka 'BLOOM', who handled the production as well. The track was conceptualised and completed in January 2023 with Layla insisting on a swift release to eliminate any "stagnation" that may befall the new project. "Room for Three" moves away from the happier, contented lyricism witnessed on previous single "Miami Smooth" and has drawn comparison to her biggest hit "Forbidden Honey" as they share the subject of forbidden love. Lyrically, the track sees Layla pine over a once potential love interest who is now taken. She admits to feeling so desperate that she considers settling for being a "third" in the relationship despite that not even being an option presented. Although she realises her thoughts and feelings are irrational, she chooses not to walk away from the situation.

"Room for Three" is a mid-tempo, guitar and synth-laden pop track with an anthemic, powerful chorus with revealing, confessional lyrics. Many critics have noted that the production of the song is not too dissimilar to the work heard on her debut album, calling it a "natural progression". Sanchez stated that she wanted the track to have a "bombastic" and "uplifting" rise in the chorus not only to combat the overall darker tone of the lyrics, but to reflect the "euphoria", "delusion" and "outer body experience" she feels while around the off-limits love interest in the song. The lyrical content in "Room for Three" garnered immediate fan and media attention and speculation, with many theorising that the song is about ex-lover and fellow musician, Joshua Grimmie. While the song is implicit and even strays away from gender-specific pronouns, many believe that the lyrics are a nod towards Grimmie's relationship with Dae Ho Park as she still remains friends with Joshua to this day. Others have dismissed the Grimmie rumours as the song states that Sanchez and this mystery person never dated in the first place. Layla herself has not revealed who the song is specifically about, however, did admit that these feelings are now behind her.

Layla wrote:
"I remember getting a few raised eyebrows when I came to my team and told them that I not only want to put this song out but have it as my leading single for this new project. I can understand that! It's a little abrasive in parts, the whole subject matter is kinda...well, it's not Radio Disney friendly! I know that this isn't going to sit well universally and yes, I'm probably not showing myself in the best light on this track but I'm ok with that. One thing I want is to be totally honest in my music and with my supporters. This happened to me and yeah, it was crazy and it sure sucked! I look back at that time and think; "Wow, you were going through it, girl. You needed a hug. Those wheels were coming off, sweetie!". It's a screwed up situation but I found myself in it and I know I'm not the only one. It hurt. It like physically hurt. The pangs I would get were just crushing. Those unreciprocated feelings? It took a lot out of me!"

"Thankfully, that's all in the past now. I was so consumed and infatuated with this person that I just wasn't myself. I was just constantly thinking about them and even though I knew it wasn't rational and some of the thoughts I had in my head were downright horrible at times, I couldn't shake it. Now that I have clarity, I think it's good to process and address it. It frightened me at one point. Then I sat with it all bottled up. I analysed it and now I'm letting it go, freeing myself and just letting those feelings dissipate out there in the ether. It's not a conventional song choice but it reflects what my music, and this album specifically, is all about - sitting in those emotions, getting to know your mind and heart, and embracing everything that makes us human, flaws and all. I think that for most of us, we're always right in our version of events. We never want to admit that we were the wrong party. I think that being TRULY honest with ourselves and taking responsibility only makes us stronger. That's something I'm definitely trying to do more these days; be honest with myself."

Critical reception of "Room for Three" has been positive thus far. ThatMusicSite exclusively reviewed the song a day prior to release calling it a "huge, biting pop song" before dubbing it as a "warts and all villainous banger with balls you can't help but admire". Cassandra Peake of Vulture called it "honest, angsty, with a dash of heart-breaking thrown in for good measure". Barry Hendry of The Guardian stated in their review that "spending time in the company of friends and industry giants Ellie-Grace Summers and Ryan Ross Hernandez has paid off for Sanchez and her artistry. She paints confessional, no holds barred pictures within her music that you can't help but be captivated by regardless of how morally questionable her content may be." He concluded his review by calling Layla "a bona fide pop star in her own right" and claimed "the pristine, fluffy and perfect days of SYNCO are long gone". For Nylon, Julie Greene described the song as "a wondrous, big pop ditty for those with tears in their eyes, clutching their third glass of wine" before rounding off her review by dubbing Layla "the Queen of moral dilemmas".

"ROOM FOR THREE"

Any room for me?
Any room for three?

You went official day after Valentine's
The roses on your story should've been mine
And I know that it was nothing personal
It's not like we had anything physical
But did a part of you really want me to see?
A test or just a way to excuse this jealousy?

Just my luck to stumble into this mess
A contradiction but I wish you the best
The rational part says I should give you some space
Yet I'm still hanging 'round, yeah, just in case

Foaming at the mouth at the chance of a crumb
Wrapped around your fingers, slid under the thumb
I'm losing all pride and sanity
I'm hoping you've got room for three
Hang on to every word of our conversations
Not like every syllable's a new complication
Would be simpler with just you and me
But I wonder if there's room for three?

Kicking my silly little self for playing it coy
Now I have to settle for friends with my favorite boy
Can't lie, I'm grateful that you keep me around
But it's so pathetic how I'm still holding out
Another post and, yeah, you both look so cute
No disrespect but I'm zooming in on you

Swear that I don't wanna see anyone hurting
Ironic coming from the vulture that's circling
Dizzy from all the delusions inside my head
Dragged my heels, I'm the one who made this bed

Looks to me like I will never learn
Maybe I get off on getting hurt?
Maybe I just want something for myself?
Living vicariously through everybody else?
I understand that this isn't practical
Doesn't stop me from curving logical
This girl will never learn

Lying to myself with a warped narration
As if we'll be unscathed from the twisted serration
Mental gymnastics on this damn summation
Trying to change the answer of the calculation
Yeah, uh
I wish this could equate to just you plus me

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 03 January 2024 09:16:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 24/02/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 24/02/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 24/02/2023(UTC), erich hess on 24/02/2023(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 24/02/2023(UTC), freestylechamp on 25/02/2023(UTC), C4AJoh on 25/02/2023(UTC), Welat65 on 03/03/2023(UTC), kandii on 18/06/2023(UTC), RadioVine on 29/06/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2023 19:42:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Ashford York: Ms. Sanchez, this is a brilliant track and I love this for you. I truly enjoyed "Miami Smooth", but for me there's just something about you delving deeper into your psyche in this lyrically more confessional way that just works every time you go to that well. I see your growth as a songwriter and the maturity that comes along with that and it makes me smile and you showcase that in a remarkable way in this track. This concept in the wrong hands does not pay off and I don't believe there's many in the industry right now that could deliver a song like this with the vulnerability that you bring to it. There's so many little nuances in the lyrics and music that you only spot after multiple listens, but THAT chorus for me is just so perfect. The rhythm and flow, lyrics blending perfectly with the rest of the track and the power of it in contrast to the verses is just studio crafted perfection to me. I cannot wait for the album, my friend!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 26/02/2023(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2023 23:37:57(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19112 time(s) in 7584 post(s)
Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Ashford York: Ms. Sanchez, this is a brilliant track and I love this for you. I truly enjoyed "Miami Smooth", but for me there's just something about you delving deeper into your psyche in this lyrically more confessional way that just works every time you go to that well. I see your growth as a songwriter and the maturity that comes along with that and it makes me smile and you showcase that in a remarkable way in this track. This concept in the wrong hands does not pay off and I don't believe there's many in the industry right now that could deliver a song like this with the vulnerability that you bring to it. There's so many little nuances in the lyrics and music that you only spot after multiple listens, but THAT chorus for me is just so perfect. The rhythm and flow, lyrics blending perfectly with the rest of the track and the power of it in contrast to the verses is just studio crafted perfection to me. I cannot wait for the album, my friend!

Layla: Thank you so much for your kind words, Mr. York! I always appreciate your thoughts and opinions when it comes to the music. That's what you know best! Always hold what you have to say in high regard and I'm so happy that you enjoy this song. I know it could have gone either way with a track like this and I'm sure there are people out there who the song doesn't sit right with but, overall, I'm so happy with the reception and people like yourself are picking up on all the nuances and layers. I'm aware it's a little controversial but what I REALLY wanted to get across was the fact that we're all human, we mess up, we feel things whether we want to or not. We hurt and pine. I'm a real ray of sunshine, right?! Hahah! So happy you enjoy the song and I can't wait to perform that chorus live!! Will be sure to send some new music your way in advance!!
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2023 03:28:37(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
OOC: Clever songwriting as always great job on this one love Layla's track record is insane
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 18/06/2023(UTC)