logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Malory Evans  
#21 Posted : 21 November 2010 03:11:54(UTC)
Malory Evans

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
DistortedAudio wrote:
Malory Evans wrote:
DistortedAudio wrote:
OOC: Thanks Infinite, sorry I haven't been working much. I've been getting my thoughts together on reviewing and I'll get back to reviewing today.

What work are you currently reviewing? I was going to give it a shot and I would obviously have to work around what you currently doing...

Knox's E.P. and a surprise one. Review what I've reviewed though, have more than one opinion on an Album makes it much more interesting. Don't avoid things just because I've reviewed them.

Agreed but I see a lot of people like the idea of having their work rated, so I rather just start from someone who would like it to be done and than critique the ones you reviewed already down the road or something...
UserPostedImage

Offline genocidal king  
#22 Posted : 21 November 2010 03:24:39(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Malory if you want you can review Katies debut single. Full description with lyrics are on page one at http://www.therockstarga....aspx?g=posts&t=5862
UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#23 Posted : 21 November 2010 03:38:20(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
OOC: I'm currently working on four reviews; Dream Serpent, My Time Now, Brit's New Wave EP, and the new Savior album. Might have taken a bit much, but I'm trying anyways! :)
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline Malory Evans  
#24 Posted : 21 November 2010 03:39:30(UTC)
Malory Evans

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Name: John Thomas
Job: Reviewer
Short Bio: John Thomas is the most experienced out of the judges on All Around The World where you can catch him on T.V. He was a part time song writer and producer during the 80's and even tried opening his own record label but it soon failed. He is now a reviewer and a judge on the show, having knowledge of almost every genre of music.

(Here I am, PM me or comment after this post if you want me to review a work of art)

Reviewing Currently:
None (Open)

Edited by user 21 November 2010 03:56:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline Malory Evans  
#25 Posted : 21 November 2010 03:58:13(UTC)
Malory Evans

John Thomas: Very well, I will be reviewing your single Katie
UserPostedImage

Offline DistortedAudio  
#26 Posted : 21 November 2010 13:35:40(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
UserPostedImage
MIND - DREAM SERPENT
by Daniel Antherstein

2010 has been a great year for music. We've had great introductions from artist like Knox, Michelle Green and Ugenia not to mention great releases from established bands like Infinite and Moronic Changeling. So when I discovered that I was one of the critics chosen to review the advance copy of Mind's Dream Serpent I was quite thrilled. Now, time to get this show on the road.

Mind is a four piece band headed by lyrical afro mastermind Jason Smith backed by Bassist Harry Thornton, Guitarist Aaron Del Petro and Drummer Robert Edwards. The four have released successful a album in Shattered Fairytale. Now they're back with the highly anticipated Dream Serpent. I put the album in as quick as I could.

The album begins with a mostly instrumental track "The Eastern Winds". It's only a minute long and features Jason's vocals that seem to be from a distant and no guitars nor drums are in this song. Only sounds taken from normal day machines. I liked it, gave a feeling of atmosphere to the album. The track that follows is "Amphigory Abyss" it uses technical modifications with the guitar which takes away from Del Petro's usual clean sound. The samples from old radio recordings are pretty cool. I think they felt at home in the song and the drumming is good. Smith's vocals are awesome as well.

Mind returns to thrash metal with "An Arrogant Silence" which relies on parts from different music genres. The result is a choppy stew of mixed sounds. It's the first disappointment of the album and even Jason Smith's albums can't help the mixed instruments. Lead off single "Summer's Edge" follows as the fourth track and ever since the single was released I knew it was a gem of a song. Towards the middle Jason Smith shouts and Del Petro begins a solo that Smith finishes off and once I heard that I knew that this song could not get any better. It's a wonderful track and probably one of the Top Ten tracks of 2010(alongside Red Symphony and The Infinity Delusion).

"Requiem of the Blackened Wings" takes a page from the best of progressive metal and mixes it with a pianist delight. The song builds up to the that of a Progressive Hit. I loved this song and hopefully the album continues to get better. Taking pages from other successful bands, sixth track "The Night's Shore" attempts to blend in with the current trend of Electro-Rock. I don't think Mind is at home as an Electro-Rock band. I liked them better when it's four guys rocking out, the keyboards give them a mechanical feeling that hurts the band.

"Crystal Urn" is a Speed Metal track with Power Metal influences. The piano is drowned out by the quick chords of the song and there were a couple of face melters here that brought me back to my mid-90's with Anthraxx. This album is filled with hits and make no mistake, this is one of 'em. "Monolith" is a track that holds your hand throughout it. It's probably the best track for an introductory fan to Mind or any potential progressive metal fan(OOC: The description itself reminded me of Skwisgaar of Dethklok's AIR GUITAR solo of the episode - "Dethrecord).

Light vocals touch upon "Engulfing Grace in Blood & Fire" while background noises explode in this interlude. The electric guitar is lost in exchange for an Acoustic one which is a good replacement. The song seamlessly changes into the tenth track and the beginning of the "Creation Spectrum Trilogy", "White". "White" reminds me of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" truth be told because it has a slow acoustic build up with Smith guiding you through before it explodes into an Electric Guitar bonanza. It slows down towards the end and switches right into "Grey". The Guitar for "Grey" isn't at the forefront and reminds with a plethora of background noises as hushed whispers and thin electronic keystrokes replace it. It's a slow song which switches to the finale of the trilogy "Black". I can only assume that the first two were build up for the inevitable crash down, this crash down takes the form of "Black". It turns into what I believe typical black metal fare. Nothing new here and it's a good song, just unremarkable.

The album then jerks me around with a total 180 for the track "Where The Sun Sets". A quiet beginning betrays my thoughts of a slow song as it explodes into something reminiscent of an 80's Power Ballad. I quite liked it. The album then ends with the final track "Dream Serpent". Its tribal beats mixed with obscure instruments that you just can't quite put your finger on make this an experimental masterpiece. I loved this song and I think it's gonna be a Sleeper hit. The usual Mind audience might be a little disheartened by the track but it marks the Quartet's ambition to move forward.

TRACKS TO SPIN -
Dream Serpent - Fun Experimental Love.
White - Even though it's the starter for the "Creation Spectrum Trilogy", it reminds me too much of Bohemian Rhapsody to ignore.
Crystal Urn - The Power Metal lyrics had me nodding my head.
Where The Sun Sets - Power Ballad Mind had me singing along.

SUMMARY: Mind's newest album is a raging success and so far, the best album I've heard this year. It strings consistent hits and the only faults is that they tried to cross a couple of new territories and a couple of them weren't for Mind. This album was an experiment and I gotta say, it was a good one.

9.5/10

UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline C4AJoh  
#27 Posted : 22 November 2010 04:05:33(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8574 time(s) in 2688 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Jake Wilson: I dunno what my credentials are exactly but I'd be up for reviewing something, just ask, I'll try not to be biased.

Edited by user 22 November 2010 04:06:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bdylan88  
#28 Posted : 22 November 2010 07:25:01(UTC)
bdylan88

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
C4AJoh wrote:
UserPostedImage

Jake Wilson: I dunno what my credentials are exactly but I'd be up for reviewing something, just ask, I'll try not to be biased.

I'd love for you to review The Bards/Enoch single Cosmic Noise
I own...

The Bards

Jack Frost (deceased)

Jimmy Merchant

The Bards are signed with HOT EYE RECORDS

Offline C4AJoh  
#29 Posted : 22 November 2010 07:28:32(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

bdylan88 wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
UserPostedImage

I'd love to, not sure how good a reviewer I am but I'll give it a shot.

OOC: I need the link with details about it though.
Offline bdylan88  
#30 Posted : 22 November 2010 07:33:15(UTC)
bdylan88

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)

I'd love to, not sure how good a reviewer I am but I'll give it a shot.

OOC: I need the link with details about it though.
[/url][/url]

here is the link to Cosmic Noise.

http://www.therockstarga....aspx?g=posts&t=5904
I own...

The Bards

Jack Frost (deceased)

Jimmy Merchant

The Bards are signed with HOT EYE RECORDS

Offline C4AJoh  
#31 Posted : 22 November 2010 07:34:35(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Jake: Ok, I'll post it once I've finished the review.

OOC: I'm not sure when I'll have time to do it but it should be up sometime this week.
Offline C4AJoh  
#32 Posted : 23 November 2010 04:03:57(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

They don’t build them like they used to is a comment over-used in the music industry today, people continue to look to the past with fond memory’s and refuse to move with the times, The Bards however are different, they’ve embraced today’s music greats from Stephanie Fierce to Jakey Comatose on Allies to a very new band, Enoch with their latest release, Within The Cosmic Noise.

And collaborations seem to be the way forward for this formidable act. The success of Allies I and the follow up Allies II seems to have given The Bards a much needed boost and direction change. This collaboration in particular was certainly a surprise, but a pleasant one at that. One problem some people may have with it is that it does seem dated, If you can move past the obvious 60’s-70’s influence then you’ll no doubt find yourself wandering towards this single on Itunes.

There are bound to be critics of this with some die-hard fans almost demanding a return to their roots and some even questioning why they are yet to retire.
But they have followed the success of Allies with this collaboration and it’s given a new lease of life to the band and it’s helped thrust Enoch into the music consciousness.
This single isn’t genre specific, of course it will appeal to mainstream rock fans and it’s sure to please the majority of The Bards and Enoch’s fans but it has the ability to appeal to a wider range of music fans, with it‘s grooving bass line and trademark classic rock riffs as well as a chorus capable of making anyone’s feet start tapping.

I will point out that this is of course not the best material you’ll hear from The Bards but it’s capable of being mentioned alongside their biggest numbers and that in itself is a huge achievement, despite their long and varied career they seem all too willing to continue to make music.
As any long term musician or band will tell you, despite everything they’ve ever worked on they will always be striving to find their masterpiece record or single and this doesn’t quite reach those dizzy heights, but it’s nothing to be disappointed with in fact it could be a surprise contender for single of the year with the right promotion.
All in all it’s great work by a very consistent band and a pretty new band, both sets of fans will be pleased with the result and the rumours of more work together in the future.

7.5/10
Reviewed by Jake Wilson

OOC: Hope that's ok for a first attempt at reviewing.

Edited by user 23 November 2010 04:06:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Famouss7x7  
#33 Posted : 25 November 2010 08:49:12(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Do you know when Brits review will be posted? If you dont mind me asking :x
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline C4AJoh  
#34 Posted : 28 November 2010 21:23:09(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Dunno if anyone's doing this yet but I thought I'd check.
Anyone wanna do Max Armstrong's posthumous album My Time Now
All lyrics can be found here:
http://www.therockstarga....aspx?g=posts&t=5433
Offline Famouss7x7  
#35 Posted : 29 November 2010 12:49:28(UTC)
Famouss7x7

What's goin on with this? Is anyone still doing reviews ?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline DistortedAudio  
#36 Posted : 29 November 2010 13:33:21(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Famouss7x7 wrote:

My apologies, I lost my internet for about 4-5 days and I just got back. I'll get on reviewing your E.P. whenever I've got free-time.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Famouss7x7  
#37 Posted : 01 December 2010 10:24:12(UTC)
Famouss7x7

DistortedAudio wrote:
Famouss7x7 wrote:

My apologies, I lost my internet for about 4-5 days and I just got back. I'll get on reviewing your E.P. whenever I've got free-time.

Ok
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline C4AJoh  
#38 Posted : 02 December 2010 02:31:41(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Jake Wilson: I'm up for reviewing something again if anybody wants me to.
Offline Matticus  
#39 Posted : 02 December 2010 02:38:32(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
C4AJoh wrote:

I would like my mixtape reviewing please

Here is the wiki page: http://trsg.wikia.com/wiki/FreshMixx_(Mixtape)
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline C4AJoh  
#40 Posted : 02 December 2010 02:39:49(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Matticus wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:

I would like my mixtape reviewing please

Here is the wiki page: http://trsg.wikia.com/wiki/FreshMixx_(Mixtape)

Jake: Rap music isn't exactly my strong suit, but if you insist.