logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Wiz007  
#21 Posted : 01 May 2011 07:43:34(UTC)
Wiz007

Groups: Registered

Probably the most mature answer here actually stephanie... to be honest, noone can say they've never torrented and noone can say they dont own their own CD's...
Offline genocidal king  
#22 Posted : 01 May 2011 07:55:44(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Wiz007 wrote:
Probably the most mature answer here actually stephanie... to be honest, noone can say they've never torrented and noone can say they dont own their own CD's...

100% hand on heart I can say I have never illegally downloaded or torrented even a single track. Honestly
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#23 Posted : 01 May 2011 07:59:00(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
genocidal king wrote:
Wiz007 wrote:

100% hand on heart I can say I have never illegally downloaded or torrented even a single track. Honestly

Me too, 100%, I've got like 150+ CD's that prove that. My Itunes is listed exactly like my CD shelf.
Offline genocidal king  
#24 Posted : 01 May 2011 08:05:14(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Yeah I'm the same, except not with CDs, mines is all legal digital. I even rebought on iTunes all my CDs from the past. I have spent £2500 on Music in two years, and god knows how much before then
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#25 Posted : 01 May 2011 08:07:38(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
genocidal king wrote:
Yeah I'm the same, except not with CDs, mines is all legal digital. I even rebought on iTunes all my CDs from the past. I have spent £2500 on Music in two years, and god knows how much before then

Good man, that's what I like to hear. Keep fighting the good fight. lol
Offline genocidal king  
#26 Posted : 01 May 2011 08:08:36(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Haha too right man. I just know far too many musicians to cheat them out of hard earned cash
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#27 Posted : 01 May 2011 08:12:39(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
I can say that I buy 7'' Singles often and stuff from Bandcamp.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#28 Posted : 01 May 2011 09:28:05(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I tend to buy CDs because I still like the idea of music as a physical object. It occurs to me that this is impractical, because my collection is split between my parents house and my glasgow flat, and until I get somewhere more permanent to live, it's kind of a pain in the ass. So I rip everything - but even that has its issues, as I am now a dual mac and PC user (my swanky new desktop in glasgow is PC, my macbook is for everything else). I have some 7" vinyls, four limited edition Secret Chiefs 3 releases, but otherwise it's all CD. I've got three Ikea Benno towers full in Perth, and one full in glasgow, with another half-tower's worth piled up in my bedroom waiting for somewhere to go...

Increasingly though, I'm beginning to see the problem of having everything physical. I've already given up on games being physical objects, and to be quite honest I wouldn't mind giving up on DVDs and the like and settling for some UK version of Netflix. Yet still I cling to the CDs. At this point I don't even know if it's just because I'm so invested in the idea that I can't let it go, or if I really do want some kind of a collection, like a library. I do rather like the idea of a physical music library, where only you know exactly where everything is, and you have to climb up ladders and pull things out, and blow the dust off the covers, but we're talking about CDs here, not vinyl. It's not really the same is it?
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline asdf  
#29 Posted : 01 May 2011 10:47:53(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Albums I've Torrented and then Bought a CD

Joe Pug "Messenger"
Johnny Cash "American 1" "American 2" "American 3" "American 4" "American 5" "American 6" "My Mothers Hymn Book"
Bob Seger "Face the Promise"
Meat Loaf "Bat out of Hell 1" "Bat out of Hell 2" "Bat out of Hell 3" "Hang Cool Teddy Bear"
Journey "Revelation"
Foreigner "Cant Slow Down"
ACDC "Black Ice"
Tom Petty "Mojo"
Bon Jovi "The Circle"
Eagles "Long Road out of Eden"
Jimi Hendrix "Valleys of Neptune"
John Hiatt "The Open Road"
John Mellencamp "No Better Than This"
Kiss "Sonic Boom"
Lynyrd Skynyrd "God and Guns"
White Lion "Pride" "Return of the Pride"

Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#30 Posted : 01 May 2011 10:55:11(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
I don't ever illegally download stuff from hard working underground musician or from musicians who I look up to. I also never illegally download from any of my favorite bands and artists. Most of the artists i listen, give it for free anyways, but there a few who don't and those I purchase all their stuff, with an exception....

I only illegally download an album when I don't have the money. That's life. Not all of us are rich.

Offline Wiz007  
#31 Posted : 01 May 2011 20:51:33(UTC)
Wiz007

Well Genocidal King, if you've ever looked up a song on YouTube then thats copyright infringement mate. No offence. YouTube is basically non downloadable tracks. Though I do have to say one thing... Ever heard of Machinae Supremacy? Well, they actually gave me a download link for their discography on torrent. Now, this may seem wierd but some record companies actually sponsor a torrent and pay the band a certain amount for each download... neat right? Well, if only I could find the torrent again...
Offline Laurelles1  
#32 Posted : 01 May 2011 21:03:42(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
YouTube isn't really copyright infringement, because a lot of the time, the artists still get their money from it. Like, VEVO and shit.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Wiz007  
#33 Posted : 01 May 2011 22:13:26(UTC)
Wiz007

They are still distributing music for free. Never heard of Youtube Downloader?
Offline asdf  
#34 Posted : 01 May 2011 22:44:07(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Not to mention that less than 25% of those videos are actually posted by the artists officially licensed vevo/label/or other such youtube channel.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline DistortedAudio  
#35 Posted : 02 May 2011 01:04:47(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
I tend to buy CDs because I still like the idea of music as a physical object. It occurs to me that this is impractical, because my collection is split between my parents house and my glasgow flat, and until I get somewhere more permanent to live, it's kind of a pain in the ass. So I rip everything - but even that has its issues, as I am now a dual mac and PC user (my swanky new desktop in glasgow is PC, my macbook is for everything else). I have some 7" vinyls, four limited edition Secret Chiefs 3 releases, but otherwise it's all CD. I've got three Ikea Benno towers full in Perth, and one full in glasgow, with another half-tower's worth piled up in my bedroom waiting for somewhere to go...

Increasingly though, I'm beginning to see the problem of having everything physical. I've already given up on games being physical objects, and to be quite honest I wouldn't mind giving up on DVDs and the like and settling for some UK version of Netflix. Yet still I cling to the CDs. At this point I don't even know if it's just because I'm so invested in the idea that I can't let it go, or if I really do want some kind of a collection, like a library. I do rather like the idea of a physical music library, where only you know exactly where everything is, and you have to climb up ladders and pull things out, and blow the dust off the covers, but we're talking about CDs here, not vinyl. It's not really the same is it?

I find this problem with books and games. I don't know why, but with books(I'm a huge bookworm, wanting to be a writer when I get the chance) nothing beats that feeling of actually physically flipping the pages. With games, I don't know why but when ever I try to pirate them or buy them online even it hurts me a bit. I guess it's because I'm a console gamer at heart.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#36 Posted : 02 May 2011 07:00:34(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
DistortedAudio wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

I find this problem with books and games. I don't know why, but with books(I'm a huge bookworm, wanting to be a writer when I get the chance) nothing beats that feeling of actually physically flipping the pages. With games, I don't know why but when ever I try to pirate them or buy them online even it hurts me a bit. I guess it's because I'm a console gamer at heart.

Well I'm fully converted to Kindle now, because I hadn't really read much in the way of paper books for years. I still love magazines though, got the last three or four years of Edge on a couple shelves.

With games, at least on PC, I am fully on board with Steam. Anything that's not on Steam seems like a hassle now. It's ridiculous.

Oh, speaking of which, anybody want a free copy of Portal on Steam? Got it in my Portal 2 pre-order and I obviously had Portal already. Beyond having to use Steam, there are no strings attached. It is in fact, a free copy of Portal.

Sure, I miss not having comprehensive manuals in games, but those have been going away for years, not just because of digital distribution. But unlike with music, I don't think I would miss boxed games especially. Sometimes limited editions are real nice, but that's a rarity.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Wiz007  
#37 Posted : 02 May 2011 07:47:02(UTC)
Wiz007

We kinda missing the topic of 'getting into new music' xD
Offline Rincewind  
#38 Posted : 02 May 2011 08:42:32(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
but seriously... someone grab the free copy of portal, its a brilliant game!!!

i too love steam, i love my sony e-reader and i love i-tunes.... all digital is the future, and as long as i remember to back up purchases on a seperate harddrive there is never a problem... unless you use steam, which remembers what you have and have not bought... even if it isn't on your computer physicaly, its easy enough to re-download, (which is something i think itunes needs to start doing).
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Mt. Epic  
#39 Posted : 02 May 2011 15:18:48(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
I do both.

giggity
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#40 Posted : 02 May 2011 23:28:21(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Mt. Epic wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
I do both.

giggity

First the random thread now this. what the hell is going on? lol