logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Wiz007  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2011 21:28:13(UTC)
Wiz007

Groups: Registered

Hey guys,
You ever had trouble getting into an artist because you cant find any decent songs? Well, try this, Torrent a bands live album or greatest hits album. Listen to that. Then torrent the discography. It works a wonder. Or when looking on Youtube if you dont wanna torrent anything, Just watch their music videos. It usually going to be the best songs. I've gotten into many great bands by doing that. Slipknot ( 9.0 Live ), Aerosmith ( Devils Got A New Disguise ), Asking Alexandria ( Reckless Relentless ), Duff McKagans Loaded ( Sick ) & even MCR ( New album ).

If you like heavy and hardcore shit then check out Slipknot or Stone Sour. If you like melodic stuff then try Aerosmith or if its melodic death metal then try out Dreamshade. If you like Guns but hate Chinese Democracy then tune your ears to Duff McKagans Loaded. Check out Flatline. Its amazing. Or if its Slash oriented licks and riffs then try Velvet Revolver. If you want deathcore or death metal then check out Cannibal Corpse, Annotations of an Autopsy and Asking Alexandria. Check em out guys, :) enjoy! Dancing
Offline Gildermershina  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2011 23:14:39(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Wiz007 wrote:
Hey guys,
You ever had trouble getting into an artist because you cant find any decent songs? Well, try this, Torrent a bands live album or greatest hits album. Listen to that. Then torrent the discography. It works a wonder. Or when looking on Youtube if you dont wanna torrent anything, Just watch their music videos. It usually going to be the best songs. I've gotten into many great bands by doing that. Slipknot ( 9.0 Live ), Aerosmith ( Devils Got A New Disguise ), Asking Alexandria ( Reckless Relentless ), Duff McKagans Loaded ( Sick ) & even MCR ( New album ).

Yeah, here's how to enjoy music: Steal it. Why pay for something when you can get it for free? See a fancy shirt you like in a store? Try shoplifting it! See a nice house? Why not break in and steal their TV?

And don't give me the "piracy isn't theft because it's digital information" defence. Taking goods or services you have not paid for without permission is theft.

Anyway, piracy=theft argument aside, I also don't think getting a band's entire discography at once - in the click of a button - does anything except devalue the music and allow you to dismiss it more easily. Call me a traditionalist but music doesn't seem like something that benefits from over-consumption.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2011 01:40:53(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Wiz007 wrote:
Hey guys,

Yeah, here's how to enjoy music: Steal it. Why pay for something when you can get it for free? See a fancy shirt you like in a store? Try shoplifting it! See a nice house? Why not break in and steal their TV?

And don't give me the "piracy isn't theft because it's digital information" defence. Taking goods or services you have not paid for without permission is theft.

Anyway, piracy=theft argument aside, I also don't think getting a band's entire discography at once - in the click of a button - does anything except devalue the music and allow you to dismiss it more easily. Call me a traditionalist but music doesn't seem like something that benefits from over-consumption.

Well said, this is always my argument as well. I hear people all the time saying that they wont pay to download because you dont get a physical "thing" when you do. Which is a totally shit argument.

I've just checked and in the last 2 years alone, I have bought 2,982 songs from iTunes. That totals at an average of 79p per song to around £2355.78 and I would not grudge them a single penny of that. In that time I have torrented approximately....oooh 0 songs.
UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2011 01:43:34(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Oh an PS, Asking Alexandria's "Reckless Relentless" is an awesome album. But this is the WORST kind of torrenting. Its bad enough stealing from, for example, Aerosmith, or someone with a lot of money, but to steal from a band at the bottom rung of music, trying to make a living is even worse. They probably struggle to break even as it is
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2011 02:07:59(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
Well, I don't legally download music very often and I never illegally download music, I just tend to go out and buy it from the very small amount of stores left still going because I do prefer having the physical thing. I know loads of people who download music illegally and it's really frustrating, you can argue with them as much as possible but it's almost impossible to get them to change their minds the only way I think they'd stop would be if they were caught but they never seem to get caught. But yeah, I tend to agree with Gildermershina and genocidal king.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2011 06:10:49(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Wiz007 wrote:
Hey guys,

It's not like stealing music is gonna happen again. I mean hell, why would I even worry about things like eating and college tuition plus loans when I could be having a merry time playing music. Lets be serious here people, we can all have a circle-jerk about how great it is to buy music and have fun spending money to increase our economy when we all know that at least once in our life we've pirated something. Whether it be taking a glimpse of the inside of the magazine without purchasing it or watching a movie online while it's in theaters. People will pirate things and people will not bat an eyelash(not saying I do).

Honestly, I never got why people always say "Don't Pirate: It's Like Stealing." Well, it sure is but if I ever get caught and go to jail for pirating(which I'm not saying I do) are you going to send me a postcard? Write me a letter every month detailing how life has changed in your neck of the woods? If you're worrying about a person pirating at the time of their pirating, why not worry about them the rest of their life? I mean I was taught to always follow through with things and not that I always do, I damn well try.

Piracy is wrong, but Killing is too, not to mention taking Narcotics and Pubic Nudity. People are still going to do all their things(if there is a god then Public Nudity will be on the rise) but until people start sending the people who pirate money for bail, I honestly don't feel their opinion on the matter really has a 'redeeming' effect.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2011 11:17:54(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

DistortedAudio wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
Wiz007 wrote:
Hey guys,

It's not like stealing music is gonna happen again. I mean hell, why would I even worry about things like eating and college tuition plus loans when I could be having a merry time playing music. Lets be serious here people, we can all have a circle-jerk about how great it is to buy music and have fun spending money to increase our economy when we all know that at least once in our life we've pirated something. Whether it be taking a glimpse of the inside of the magazine without purchasing it or watching a movie online while it's in theaters. People will pirate things and people will not bat an eyelash(not saying I do).

Honestly, I never got why people always say "Don't Pirate: It's Like Stealing." Well, it sure is but if I ever get caught and go to jail for pirating(which I'm not saying I do) are you going to send me a postcard? Write me a letter every month detailing how life has changed in your neck of the woods? If you're worrying about a person pirating at the time of their pirating, why not worry about them the rest of their life? I mean I was taught to always follow through with things and not that I always do, I damn well try.

Piracy is wrong, but Killing is too, not to mention taking Narcotics and Pubic Nudity. People are still going to do all their things(if there is a god then Public Nudity will be on the rise) but until people start sending the people who pirate money for bail, I honestly don't feel their opinion on the matter really has a 'redeeming' effect.

I don't really understand what you're saying at all. I'm saying the casual attitude towards the value of data (being infinitely replicable and all) is dangerous for all the media industries. People know shoplifting is a crime, because it involves a physical act, and the risk of being caught, but copyright infringement, ie. illegally downloading music, movies and games, that stuff is a click away, and the consequences in almost all cases are nil. It's convenient.

In theory art is worth what anyone is willing to pay for it, but if the art is infinitely replicable and easily shared, it becomes valueless, meaning the creators of this art have less means to create it. People love the idea of bands doing it for themselves, without major labels involved, but they don't even realise how much money it costs just to hire a decent studio. I'm saying people should think about that when they're stealing the music, and not just assume it's their right to hear and evaluate all music for free.
Offline Mr Neutron  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2011 12:59:19(UTC)
Mr Neutron

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
There is no challenge in finding new music. Spend an hour on bandcamp.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wiz007  
#9 Posted : 25 April 2011 00:34:21(UTC)
Wiz007

To be honest guys, if I like what i've downloaded I usually go out and buy most of the CD's as I have a tendency to break my computer ( Im on my 4th ). Also, if I do get into a band I will always pay to see them live and none of this sneaking in shit. I buy the merchandise that I like and then I usually review the concert in a positive light ( I do some reviews on the Metal Hammer website ) to promote the band more. At current standing I personally own nearly 200 CD's and I have various collectors items. I have ( literally ) one side of my room stacked with bookshelves full of CD's and at least half my wardrobe is full of official merchandise. The only time I ever bought bootleg merchandise was a hoodie outside a CoB gig. That was only because I'd lost mine earlier in the day ( thank you Camden ) and was left in a vest shirt when I left the concert ( I didn't buy a hoodie inside as they only had a Children of Bodom one that sucked ) and it was freezing.
Offline asdf  
#10 Posted : 25 April 2011 05:48:18(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
I torrent it, and if I like it enough, I buy it.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Marksy  
#11 Posted : 25 April 2011 05:57:43(UTC)
Marksy

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 113 post(s)
asdf wrote:
I torrent it, and if I like it enough, I buy it.

This.
Offline Wiz007  
#12 Posted : 27 April 2011 05:29:11(UTC)
Wiz007

But do you always buy the albums? Currently I have ( thank you EMA fuck ups sending me the last 4 months of my EMA in one go! Worth not being paid till I'd quit smoking ) the entire Asking Alexandria catalogue in the post and I've literally just ordered the legit copies of Reckless Relentless Forever [ Bodom ] and Dead to Rights [ DevilDriver ] albums despite only just downloading the things,
Offline Gildermershina  
#13 Posted : 27 April 2011 22:28:43(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Yeah the whole "I buy it if it's worth it" thing is bullshit. It leaves room for something that you like, but arbitrarily don't like enough to buy. Plus, if you're downloading whole discographies, there's no way you're ever going to keep up with that in actual purchases. It's a crass justification. The other thing is that people don't necessarily experience music on computers in the best possible way. Especially on the PC, nobody just sits and listens to music running off a PC. And they probably have shitty PC speakers, and in many cases the subwoofer is turned up too loud or there's some horrible "enhancement" going on in your player, whether that's an EQ preset or some proprietary "enhancer" multi-band compression. People listen to music on a PC while they surf and play games and write forum posts. Myself included. It seems unfair to judge things in that light, and also to judge it in the sense that you've taken it for free along with ten other albums, and you'll probably download another ten the next day, so why ever properly listen to that one thing? Why should it take more than one listen to enjoy music?

There's also an amazing tendency on the internet for new albums to be absolutely panned by apparent hardcore fans, three hours after they've gotten a leak, months before it actually comes out. Then over time some of these people come back and say "I was wrong, this album is actually great." When it takes three minutes to steal an album, why would you want to spend time listening to it more than once before spewing a knee-jerk reaction to the fact this album doesn't immediately give you the same experience a previous one gave you? I know this isn't the case with everyone who steals music, but it's a very visible side-effect of the devaluation process. It almost becomes more important to get the album as soon as possible than to actually give it the listening time it deserves. Almost more important to have heard 100 hundred different bands than to have really properly listened to 10 of them.

There's plenty albums I've owned for months before they really truly sink in, and those often tend to be the albums I have the strongest feelings about. To remove that possibility, to reduce it to "download now, rate in an hour" kind of attitude, seems like it misses the whole point of listening to music in my mind.

Edited by user 27 April 2011 22:32:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Nimrods  
#14 Posted : 28 April 2011 05:18:28(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I have no cash, I have no job. I feel bad about torrenting metal bands because they're at the bottom rung of the industry ladder, but they make more money off me buying their merchandise (CD=10 dollars, shirt= 25), and going to their converts so I never feel too bad. If there's an album I'm really looking forward to, or I know when it's coming out, then I'll save up and buy it. However, I like a lot of music I can't afford to buy it all. I've bought a few recent records though, I bought Pilot Talk 2 from Curren$y and Lupe Fiasco's Lasers
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline John  
#15 Posted : 28 April 2011 05:58:24(UTC)
John

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 27 post(s)
The steps I follow when getting into a new band are-

Listen to the first eight or so songs that come up on youtube. Generally the best/most popular
If I like that I listen to all the singles
Then the major albums
Then the rest of the discography.

I don't download anything. I do use Youtube, which I guess is unethical, even though it's only illegal for the uploader.
My Characters-
John York-Guitarist/Multi-Instrumentalist-Genres-Alt Rock/Post-Punk, heavily interested in the Avant-Guard-Face Claim-Graham Coxon- Is Currently-Screwing around
Kim Black-Vocalist/Bassist-Post-Punk/New Wave-Is currently-In India trying to find herself
Website for my old Post-Punk band, which featured John and Kim

Offline Wiz007  
#16 Posted : 28 April 2011 05:59:58(UTC)
Wiz007

Actually, I do buy the albums but I go through about an album a day, the only albums i've torrented and not bought is a Coal Chamber album which I cannot find anywhere, I've since lost the music and I haven't downloaded any more coal chamber as I dont like em to be honest. However, the 10 albums a day is stereotyping. Yes, I download my music, No, I dont download because I can. I download what I want or need. I listened to Reckless Relentless Forever for about 2 hours and then ordered it. Dead to Rights. Well, Im a huge DevilDriver fan and I hardly finished listening to the first 4 tracks before ordering it. Asking Alexandria, well... thats a whole kettle of fish. I downloaded the new album about two weeks ago and loved it. I also downloaded Stand Up and Scream a week ago and loved that too. Now I've ordered their entire catalogue because I don't wish to download the rest as ( yes this is hypocritical ) I dont want to spoil the industry for them. If they're worth downloading then they're worth buying. Also, if I dont like what I download, it gets deleted rather than taking up my precious memory.
Offline asdf  
#17 Posted : 28 April 2011 07:01:05(UTC)
asdf

Man

Gildermershina wrote:
Yeah the whole "I buy it if it's worth it" thing is bullshit. It leaves room for something that you like, but arbitrarily don't like enough to buy. Plus, if you're downloading whole discographies, there's no way you're ever going to keep up with that in actual purchases. It's a crass justification. The other thing is that people don't necessarily experience music on computers in the best possible way. Especially on the PC, nobody just sits and listens to music running off a PC. And they probably have shitty PC speakers, and in many cases the subwoofer is turned up too loud or there's some horrible "enhancement" going on in your player, whether that's an EQ preset or some proprietary "enhancer" multi-band compression. People listen to music on a PC while they surf and play games and write forum posts. Myself included. It seems unfair to judge things in that light, and also to judge it in the sense that you've taken it for free along with ten other albums, and you'll probably download another ten the next day, so why ever properly listen to that one thing? Why should it take more than one listen to enjoy music?

There's also an amazing tendency on the internet for new albums to be absolutely panned by apparent hardcore fans, three hours after they've gotten a leak, months before it actually comes out. Then over time some of these people come back and say "I was wrong, this album is actually great." When it takes three minutes to steal an album, why would you want to spend time listening to it more than once before spewing a knee-jerk reaction to the fact this album doesn't immediately give you the same experience a previous one gave you? I know this isn't the case with everyone who steals music, but it's a very visible side-effect of the devaluation process. It almost becomes more important to get the album as soon as possible than to actually give it the listening time it deserves. Almost more important to have heard 100 hundred different bands than to have really properly listened to 10 of them.

There's plenty albums I've owned for months before they really truly sink in, and those often tend to be the albums I have the strongest feelings about. To remove that possibility, to reduce it to "download now, rate in an hour" kind of attitude, seems like it misses the whole point of listening to music in my mind.

To most this is probably all true. Not for me though.

I can say honest to God (which means nothing to you but oh well) that I will sit here and do nothing but listen to the album I just bought/torrented on my PC with out ever clicking away from the player. My tendencies are...

Listen all the way through album while doing nothing else at all.
Listen to it in the car
Listen while doing other things on the PC
Buy actual CD
Listen to nothing but that one artist/album for about 3 months. (seriously)
Move on to next artist/album.

I agree that having no box, case to hold in your hands takes a lot of the experience out and that browsing the net while listening doesnt really count as fully listening. But even if I have the thing on cd or vinyl, I still dont just sit and listen. I'm in the car, or playing video games, or working out while I listen. Never do I just sit there other than the very first time I buy/torrent something.

Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#18 Posted : 28 April 2011 07:20:05(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Torrenting is stealing, but no one can make torrenting go away. People will illegally download anything that they can. Why pay for something you can get for free, right? I think that most bands have accepted that they wont make any money off of record sales. I don't torrent because I think that it's cheating the artist who's music I would be illegally downloading. I use itunes to buy a couple songs if I'm not sure I want a whole album. If I want a whole album I'll buy a CD or a vinyl. Music isn't the same when it isn't tangable. My main beef with people who illegally download music dont do it for their favorite artists of all time, or they do and then buy the CDs. THose are the artists that they will also buy t-shirts from and see live. The artists they dont like as much are the ones who suffer. If they think something is just ok then they wont buy the Cd, t-shirt, or concert tickets.

Edited by user 28 April 2011 07:20:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
Offline asdf  
#19 Posted : 28 April 2011 07:33:25(UTC)
asdf

Man

If I buy the cd and dont like it, I still wont buy anything else. That has nothing to do with torrenting....duh

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#20 Posted : 28 April 2011 07:47:30(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
I do both.