logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DistortedAudio  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2011 10:11:38(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Up
30 Rock
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2011 10:12:53(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
Garden State :D
Offline DistortedAudio  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2011 10:20:13(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Oh and reasons(+an addition)

Up:

Married Life, Nuff Said.

30 Rock:

It's upbeat and jazzy, then classy and sophisticated at times. Love it.

The Frighteners:

Just completely insane and has the best indies bands for that time period. Sonic Youth covering the Carpenters.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World:

UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2011 10:31:54(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I prefer actual soundtracks, of original score, rather than the compilation-of-songs-featured-in-movie types.

Some great movie and TV soundtracks I particularly enjoy:
Inception (Hans Zimmer)
Dead Man (Neil Young)
Alien3 (Elliot Goldenthal)
Pan's Labyrinth (Javier Navarrete)
The Truman Show (Burkhard Dallwitz & Philip Glass)
For All Mankind (Brian Eno)
The Incredibles (Michael Giacchino)
Ratatouille (Michael Giacchino)
most of the Pixar movies to be honest...
Lost (Michael Giacchno)
Battlestar Galactica (Bear McCreary)
Caprica (Bear McCreary)
The Walking Dead (Bear McCreary)
Firefly (Greg Edmonson)

Edited by user 16 September 2011 10:36:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#5 Posted : 16 September 2011 10:41:01(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Same, but I hate Bear McCreary before Walking Dead and Zimmer I dislike.

When it comes to that:
Up
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Weeds
Kingdom Hearts(anything by Play! really)
30 Rock
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Video Game by Anamanaguichi)
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#6 Posted : 16 September 2011 12:09:50(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
Same, but I hate Bear McCreary before Walking Dead and Zimmer I dislike.

How could you hate Bear McCreary prior to Walking Dead? What are you insane? The BSG soundtracks are some of the most memorable soundtracks ever committed to any size of screen. I do not understand...

Edited by user 16 September 2011 12:14:52(UTC)  | Reason: Removed a song that is kind of spoilery, mood-wise

Offline DistortedAudio  
#7 Posted : 16 September 2011 12:27:17(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Not doing anything for me. I trust I could say the same about Anamanaguichi and Midi-Music but you probably would say the same thing.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2011 19:55:19(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Well the thing is, soundtracks don't really mean anything to you unless you've seen the actual show/film.

About MIDI though, I'm not sure what you mean, MIDI files, or MIDI-programmed music, because MIDI is a part of the majority of modern music. Either way you are wrong.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#9 Posted : 16 September 2011 22:11:00(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
Well the thing is, soundtracks don't really mean anything to you unless you've seen the actual show/film.

About MIDI though, I'm not sure what you mean, MIDI files, or MIDI-programmed music, because MIDI is a part of the majority of modern music. Either way you are wrong.

Not exactly true. Good music is good music.

I didn't mean MIDI, I don't know why I typed that, I meant Chiptune and Video Game Music in general. Like:
The OneUps
Knife City
Unicorn Kid.

OH! I was listening to Ford and Lopatin(Games) when I was typing the last message up and they have a song: Too Much MIDI.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#10 Posted : 16 September 2011 22:54:59(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

I didn't mean MIDI, I don't know why I typed that, I meant Chiptune and Video Game Music in general. Like:
The OneUps
Knife City
Unicorn Kid.

OH! I was listening to Ford and Lopatin(Games) when I was typing the last message up and they have a song: Too Much MIDI.

Oh well in that case, fuck chiptunes. I love old game music just fine, but all these bands blending that style of sound with real instruments, and voice, and making songs out of them, I find it nigh-on unbearable. That said, VVVVVV had a great soundtrack - but that's because it's literally a video game soundtrack, and fits the art style and gameplay design. It looks, sounds, plays, and feels like a game from another era.

I really have a hard time with any music that tries real hard to sound like it's from a different time, but is actually too slick, too modern, too out of context, too obviously trying to be something it is not. It's a really fine line.

Edited by user 16 September 2011 22:55:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marksy  
#11 Posted : 16 September 2011 23:15:11(UTC)
Marksy

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World & Halo 3 are the only two I can think of at the moment.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#12 Posted : 17 September 2011 06:04:46(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

The OneUps
Knife City
Unicorn Kid.

Oh well in that case, fuck chiptunes. I love old game music just fine, but all these bands blending that style of sound with real instruments, and voice, and making songs out of them, I find it nigh-on unbearable. That said, VVVVVV had a great soundtrack - but that's because it's literally a video game soundtrack, and fits the art style and gameplay design. It looks, sounds, plays, and feels like a game from another era.

I really have a hard time with any music that tries real hard to sound like it's from a different time, but is actually too slick, too modern, too out of context, too obviously trying to be something it is not. It's a really fine line.

Except that Chiptune usually uses modified versions of said consoles to make some of the music. I've stated it before, Good Music is Good Music. If it's by a band trying to sound like it's from the 80's, fuck if I care. If it sounds good to me then I'll treat it like I do any other good music, I'll play it over and over again. Bear McCreary though, I couldn't enjoy until something MADE me enjoy it. BSG was horrible IMO and I hated listening to Bear run through All Along the Watchtower. At least with The Walking Dead I'm guaranteed an hour of solid Drama and if things turn out how they have in the comics, it's gonna be fucking awesome and fucking brutal. It probably won't though because I can't see some of the stuff that does happen, happening on regular Cable.

Actually, I like Bear McCreary now that I know everything he's done. It's just that I really dislike the BSG soundtrack. Eureka, Rest Stop, Wrong Turn 2. I loved not only those movies but the soundtracks were top notch as well.

Anyway moving back to the Chip-Tune thing, Chip-Tune uses the chips of old consoles and so on to produce the music. So I guess it's as authentic as you can get without actually being a game from the 80's. Not to mention that Chiptune IS considered video game music because it is most often actually USED in Video Games. Think what you're referring to is Nintendo-Core?

Now Anamanaguchi do something like you said, merge their sound with Indie Rock unless they actually are making the soundtrack to a game(see: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World). So yeah.

[/Rant]
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Mckenzie-  
#13 Posted : 17 September 2011 06:16:35(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Big fan of Zimmers work.

The Island (Steve Jablonksy)
Sunshine (John Murphy)
Backdraft (Hans Zimmer)

A good score on a film always ups its rating in my books.
retired x
Offline Gildermershina  
#14 Posted : 17 September 2011 09:27:46(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

The OneUps
Knife City
Unicorn Kid.

Except that Chiptune usually uses modified versions of said consoles to make some of the music. I've stated it before, Good Music is Good Music. If it's by a band trying to sound like it's from the 80's, fuck if I care. If it sounds good to me then I'll treat it like I do any other good music, I'll play it over and over again. Bear McCreary though, I couldn't enjoy until something MADE me enjoy it. BSG was horrible IMO and I hated listening to Bear run through All Along the Watchtower. At least with The Walking Dead I'm guaranteed an hour of solid Drama and if things turn out how they have in the comics, it's gonna be fucking awesome and fucking brutal. It probably won't though because I can't see some of the stuff that does happen, happening on regular Cable.

Actually, I like Bear McCreary now that I know everything he's done. It's just that I really dislike the BSG soundtrack. Eureka, Rest Stop, Wrong Turn 2. I loved not only those movies but the soundtracks were top notch as well.

Anyway moving back to the Chip-Tune thing, Chip-Tune uses the chips of old consoles and so on to produce the music. So I guess it's as authentic as you can get without actually being a game from the 80's. Not to mention that Chiptune IS considered video game music because it is most often actually USED in Video Games. Think what you're referring to is Nintendo-Core?

Now Anamanaguchi do something like you said, merge their sound with Indie Rock unless they actually are making the soundtrack to a game(see: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World). So yeah.

[/Rant]

Not sure how you could not like BSG, but the Watchtower thing I thought was really great. Granted, I never had any reverence for any version of that song previously, but contextually, the way it's used in the narrative, it's extremely cool to me. That and the fact that the best part of McCreary's version of it is an entirely original melodic theme.

As for the whole chiptune/nintendocore (ugh... <insert thing here>core...) thing, the thing is: I like old videogame music. Why? Probably because of nostalgia. I remember enjoying these tunes as a kid. I have flashbacks when I hear certain game tunes. But now there's an entire generation of kids who are seemingly into power metal, and late 80s early 90s video game soundtracks - which are actually pretty similar as it turns out.

The whole notion of chiptunes as a genre is really fucking absurd to me... The old videogame composers who were working with 8 and 16 bit soundchips were not doing it because they thought it was a cool sound, they were doing it because that's all they had to work with. They were making music in various styles, orchestral, pop, jazz, rock, whatever, it's just that they were limited in their sound palettes. In many cases, these were real composers who were just making do with the limitations put upon them.

A lot of this modern "chiptune" music takes those limitations, and then overdub live instruments and all kinds of effects not possible on the hardware. That's fine, it's just that it's not really the same thing. It's like kids nowadays wearing pre-stressed Hot Topic t-shirts of Atari logos or whatever. It's the contrast, the crass, out-of-context exploitation of an aesthetic that really puts my teeth on edge. Unless your game looks like an 8bit or 16bit game, it probably shouldn't have chiptunes in it. And of course over the last few years even mainstream pop music has taken the whole chiptune thing on board, with cheap dirty synth bleeps and arpeggios everywhere. IT REALLY DOES MY FUCKING HEAD IN. Sorry, but it does. It is a prejudice I have, and it takes a lot to win me over.

If people like that sort of thing, then they can knock themselves out, but I honestly find it very hard to enjoy. Obviously there are plenty of modern video games which have great soundtracks that don't rely on that aesthetic. Bastion is a recent example. Limbo is amazing. Portal 2, the Assassin's Creed series, Mass Effect series, Mirror's Edge.
Offline Rincewind  
#15 Posted : 17 September 2011 09:56:32(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
anhhh Firefly had an amazing soundtrack.... that opening score!

I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants