logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2012 01:32:33(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: Reign Over Me
Release Date: 12 May, 2012
Recorded: January – May 2012
(Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, California), (Avatar Studios, New York City, New York)
Genre: R&B, Pop, Soul, Blues
Length: 67:16
Label: Tric-Jam Records
Producer(s): Alicia Lena, Nevaeh Martinez-Smith, Will.Rocca, Julian Morello

‘Reign Over Me’ is the third studio album by American Pop/Soul recording artist Alicia Lena, set for release on 12 May, 2012 on Tric-Jam Records. Recording sessions officially began in January 2012 in recording studios in both Los Angeles and New York City, these sessions spanned over the next 5 months as Alicia wrote the majority of the songs during the sessions. The album had a production team of four people that included Alicia Lena, Nevaeh Martinez-Smith, Will.Rocca and Julian Morello. Writing for the album initially began in late 2011 although only two songs from the album were actually written before she began the recording sessions as the majority of songs were created in the studio between January and April 2012. The album has already spawned two hit singles from Alicia with Drop The Needle And Pray! becoming her fifth number one single in mid-February and the follow-up Place A Wish In Your Heart (feat. Chloe) peaking at number two in April and becoming her tenth top ten single in little under three years since her debut album.
The album also marks her first full-length release under Tric-Jam Records and will become available on 12 May, 2012.

Background
After recording her second studio album ‘Waking Up’ Alicia successfully toured worldwide in support of the album, during this time she began working on ideas for new songs, these however didn’t fully come to fruition until the tour had finished. After finishing the tour she went through ‘a batch’ of new songs but only two out of approximately 14 songs actually made it to the first recording sessions in January 2012.
In the months between January and April 2012 Alicia wrote close to forty songs and gradually eliminated the ones that she felt didn’t work as part of the album, eventually narrowing down the selection of songs to 16. As has been the case with Alicia’s previous two studio albums she has been the sole writer of every song that has appeared on each record as she prefers to be completely in control of her own work, however she has been more open to collaboration in regards to the production of her work, this time enlisting the help of Nevaeh Martinez-Smith, long-time collaborator Will.Rocca and the relatively new to the industry Julian Morello who also happened to be given his first engineering role on her previous effort 2011’s Waking Up.

The album continues from the songwriting approach that Alicia took on with her sophomore album, she recently stated, “My first album wasn’t a great interpretation of who I was as a songwriter, It was my first album and I felt some sort of pressure to create the type of radio friendly pop-songs and that became the main theme of the first record which is absolutely not who I am. I was never particularly influenced by that quintessential pop music, I always looked for something with a little more depth and soul and blues is where I found most of my inspiration but that wasn’t something I pushed on the first album which is still a slight regret of mine, but when I began work on the follow-up I decided to take full control of my work and made every decision regarding that record myself, the songs I chose to put on it were the best interpretations of who I was as a musician and it’s a decision that paid off for me and hopefully this album is like a growth from the previous one, it has similar themes of hope and poses the questions that I ask myself every day. It’s as close to who I am as I think you could ever get which is something I’m quite proud of.”
The song picks up on the soul and blues influences on Alicia that first became apparent on her previous album and the songs lyrical theme’s continue on from her previous work. One of the main themes of the album is growth and maturity, “I put all of myself into the songs that I write and over the past year I’ve grown up a lot and I think this album almost documents my life in a way. There’s been ups and downs over the past 12 months and I feel like if you really listen to the songs then you’ll get into my mind in some form, it really is a personal record and I feel very passionate about it.”

Tracklisting
1. Reign Over Me (4:23)
2. What Do You Come Home To? (2:49)
3. When Dawn Breaks (3:47)
4. These Hands (2:54)
5. Drop The Needle And Pray! (4:29)
6. Hold On, My Child (3:51)
7. Living For The Moment (4:12)
8. Behind Closed Doors (5:39)
9. What Will Your Legacy Be (4:18)
10. My Four AM Miracle (feat. Benji Luna) (4:57)
11. Last Known Surroundings (4:41)
12. Place A Wish In Your Heart (feat. Chloe) (5:37)
13. Listen To The Prophets (Part I) (5:18)
14. American Dream Or American Reality (6:18)
15. The Truth Or A Beautiful Lie (4:06)
16. Don’t Let It Get To You (3:17)

Itunes Bonus Tracks
17. Somebody Out There Loves Me (feat. Dominic Brown & Isabel Merjos) (4:13)
18. Rebuild From The Ashes (5:03)

Singles
Drop The Needle And Pray! [#1]
Place A Wish In Your Heart (feat. Chloe) [#2]

Personnel
> Alicia Lena – vocals, piano, keyboards, organ, cello, production, lyrics, composition, instrumentation, mixing, engineering, art direction
> Benji Luna – vocals, acoustic guitar, backing vocals, synthesizer
> Kara Romero – backing vocals
> Chloe – rap vocals
> Dominic Brown – vocals (*bonus track)
> Isabel Merjos – vocals (*bonus track)
> Nevaeh Martinez-Smith – production
> Will.Rocca – production, mixing
> Julian Morello – production, engineering
thanks 7 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 13/05/2012(UTC), Andre Gandra on 13/05/2012(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 13/05/2012(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 13/05/2012(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/05/2012(UTC), erich hess on 15/05/2012(UTC), Moquel on 24/05/2012(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2012 02:12:23(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Stephanie Fierce: The Queen of R&B and Soul! I'm excited for this new album and I can't wait to hear it! :)
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 13/05/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2012 02:20:57(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post

Stephanie Fierce: The Queen of R&B and Soul! I'm excited for this new album and I can't wait to hear it! :)

Alicia: Aww thanks Stephanie, that means a lot to me, it's great to know that your looking forward to it, I hope it doesn't dissapoint :)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2012 11:14:57(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Hannah Beth: Aw this album will be Album of the Year! :) I can feel it. You are such an inspiration to me and I know everyone else can't help but to love you too. Good luck on this album, you have my full support and cheers :-)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 14/05/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2012 21:55:29(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Hannah Beth: Aw this album will be Album of the Year! :) I can feel it. You are such an inspiration to me and I know everyone else can't help but to love you too. Good luck on this album, you have my full support and cheers :-)

Alicia: Awww thanks Hannah :) I'm not sure it would be album of the year since there's been some pretty amazing releases already but it's nice to receive that kind of praise, thanks for the kind words :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 15/05/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2012 03:39:13(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

TRACK INFORMATION

TRACK 1 – REIGN OVER ME

‘Reign Over Me’ is the opening song from the album and the title track is a song about needing someone to care for you, it follows the narrative of a person that is going through a difficult time and as she feels things getting tough to deal with she sings about how she needs somebody to take care of her.
The song begins with a soft echoing sound and a faded screech provided by a synthesizer, then the soft tones of the piano keys take control of the song giving it an almost soothing feel throughout. Alicia sings the lyrics with a powerful bluesy vocal which rises and rises throughout until she reaches the final chorus of the song, it then drops down a volume level which makes way for the focus to return to the sound of the piano as it softly fades out along with a quiet and tender final note from Alicia.

“These walls are slowly closing in
Hold me closer and redeem my sins
In a world that’s getting too dark to see
I need somebody to reign over me”

TRACK 2 – WHAT DO YOU COME HOME TO?

‘What Do You Come Home To?’ is a song about a failing relationship between two people, following a difficult time between a couple and the feeling that they’re drifting apart following an affair or betrayal it talks about how objects in their home remind them of what they once were but despite those objects holding great memories they’ve now become associated with pain, the songs main theme is facing loneliness after having all the things you could dream of and poses the primary questions, ‘What is a life when you’ve got no one to share It with? or more literally ‘What do you come home to?’
A more dramatic and eerie piano opening introduces the song and begins to paint the picture for the songs primary feeling of loneliness, bitterness and regret. Alicia sings with a strong vocal which at times complements the song’s lyrics perfectly where at moments she sings with a catch in her throat which makes the song feel even more real, almost as if she’s going through this.

“With photo’s scattered everywhere just the empty wounds to this affair
You hold things in just to save face but it’s clear to all that you’ve fallen from grace
Wherever you look your reminded each day that the scars you have made won’t fade away
Words can’t fix them, if they could you’d write them all, A net can’t catch you or even break your fall
Every mistakes that you’ve made is something you’ve gone through and through
But still I ask, “What do you come home to?”

TRACK 3 – WHEN DAWN BREAKS

‘When Dawn Breaks’ is an old fashioned blues sounding song, it’s a song about loneliness, it’s lyrics are about somebody feeling that things are going to be alright but as the day continues it quickly becomes clear that it’s just going to be another difficult day surrounded by loneliness. It’s lyrics begin rather hopeful but as the song progresses they start to take on a more sad vibe as Alicia sings about her home being empty.
A traditional sounding blues guitar riff provided by Benjamin Luna opens the song and the soft piano playing from Alicia can be heard midway through the song as it combines beautifully with the guitar playing by Benji Luna, there’s an instrumental break halfway through the song where Benji provides an energetic blues riff on guitar which complements Alicia’s powerful and emotive vocal performance on this track.

“I awake in the morning with a smile on my face
I see the sun in the air this is my perfect place
But as the day slowly dawns and the night closes in
I feel all alone and this pain is unfair
I look around my home
And you, you just aren’t there”

TRACK 4 - THESE HANDS

‘These Hands’ is a song about redemption during a difficult life, it’s a song about someone who was brought up in a difficult environment and therefore fell on the wrong side of the tracks to a life of trouble, the lyrics talk about how it’s difficult to change certain things in your life and when you’re in a troubled environment it can be very difficult to get out of that environment and make a positive change in order to become a better person, the song tackles those difficulties that many people face in their life due to their upbringing and the environment that they’re born into.
The song is heavily influenced by gospel and soul music, it’s drenched in redemption and faith and the piano is the primary instrument on the song as it not only sets the mood but enhances the power of the song during the chorus as Alicia lifts her vocals with power while she sings the hope-filled chorus with lyrics that encourage people to take a chance and make a change and know that there’s people out there that are willing to help you become a better person and it’s the rousing chorus that becomes the highlight of the song, almost a church-like anthem with a choir providing backing vocals during the chorus.

“These hands redeem the wounds of sinners
These hands are raised for the winners
These hands comfort lost souls in the night
These hands make you believe it will all be alright
These hands will be waiting for you
These hands are here when you make it through
These hands will be your guiding light
These hands comfort lost souls in the night
These hands will be waiting for you
These hands will make all your dreams come true”

TRACK 5 –DROP THE NEEDLE AND PRAY!

“Drop The Needle And Pray!” was not originally written with the intention of appearing on Alicia’s third studio album but after finishing the writing process for the song it was quickly decided that the song would fit in with the theme’s that Alicia was looking to approach on her third record but still unsure about the songs emotional connection the instrumentation and key of the song was changed by Alicia. Finally confident with the song, Alicia decided to debut the song at the 4th Chaos Awards in late 2011 to a positive reaction, one critic even said “Performed in a set alongside a cover version of Simon & Garfunkel’s ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’ only served to prove Alicia’s songwriting ability as she makes the move from pop’s sweetheart to a singer-songwriter that could someday rival the best the industry has seen”. She spent the following months of 2011 rather quietly with the exception of one or two blog updates, but in early January she announced that she would be entering a studio in the following weeks and months to work on her third studio album. In an interview with Rolling Stone in February 2012 she confirmed that the lead single was almost ready for release and a demo version of the song was handed to a reviewer for the magazine and the first official review of the single was written in the February 2012 issue of the music magazine.

The songs only instrument is the piano playing throughout which sets the emotional and tender backdrop to the song which is enhanced even further by Alicia’s bluesy vocals, midway through the song the key changes as Alicia unleashes a powerful vocal that ignites the song fully. It flows well throughout maintaining a good pace and at 4:17 in length it never feels rushed as Alicia takes her time to get to the highest point of the song with the lyrics, “But if you take a walk and find yourself looking down/Remember you’ve got something to give in this life/Everything will turn around someday/Just drop the needle and pray.” But then quickly switches back to a more slower-paced melodic run to see out the end of the song with the bluesy piano ending.

“I can’t force you to do anything
I can try to pick you up but all that I can say
Is that you will find your way someday
If you just drop the needle and pray
I don’t know when the pain will disappear
I don’t know how to remove this fear
I know it sometimes helps to scream and shout
We all live in fear and doubt”

TRACK 6 – HOLD ON, MY CHILD

‘Hold On, My Child’ is another song that pushes Alicia’s elements of faith to the forefront once again, in a similar way to ‘Drop The Needle And Pray’ and ‘These Hands’ it’s lyrics directly relate to her own personal beliefs and once more it pushes positivity ahead of negativity, it’s a song that could take on different interpretations as it initially appears that it could be a mother singing about a lost child and needing to believe that there’s something perhaps more special waiting for her child, however the interpretation of the song could be seen differently by others.
It’s an emotional track that again is primarily piano based, a relatively soft acoustic guitar can be heard playing throughout but the main focus is on the combination of piano and Alicia’s emotional vocals, you can feel what she’s singing almost like she’s singing about something that has personally happened to her as she puts emphasis on specific parts of the song, in particular “And as your fears will start to fall away/I know that we’ll be together again someday”

“Hold on, my child because heaven awaits
All of the beautiful angels are waiting by those pearly gates
As you step up to the light and let the greater good shine through
There’s a new world waiting right here for you
So hold on, my child don’t be worried about your fate
The angels are waiting by the big pearly gate
And as your fears will start to fall away
I know that we’ll be together again someday”

TRACK 7 – LIVING FOR THE MOMENT

‘Living For The Moment’ is a song about taking your chances when they come rather than letting opportunity’s pass you by because you’re too afraid of the risks, the song is something that Alicia feels directly relates to her own life as she stated, “I lived a very basic life when I was younger, my parents worked hard and saved money for their whole life and never spent that money on themselves in case they may have one day needed it, which is obviously an intelligent thing but I think that was passed onto me. I discovered that I’m not one to take risks whether it’s love, money or fun and it’s something that I’ve decided to change if I can and that’s what this song pretty much directly relates to.”
It begins with a soft RnB beat but quickly powers into life to create perhaps one of the more instrumentally heavier songs from the album as drums, guitars and a piano provide the musical backdrop to the song about taking risks and chances, it reaches a peak during the chorus as Alicia unleashes a powerful and emotive vocal as she sings about how she’s gonna make a change and not be left alone in the shadows regretting the things that she never took a chance on. It’s a moving song with a somewhat uplifting life message.

“I’m tired of letting so many things pass me by
I’m way too predictable and I don’t understand why
It’s time for me to take a blind leap of faith
And just living for the moment
I’m just living for the moment”

TRACK 8 – BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

‘Behind Closed Doors’ is a song about how someone’s life may not be quite as it’s seen to other people on the outside and it’s a song that tackles the issue, whether the song relates to Alicia’s own life remains to be seen but it has dark undertones which are evident throughout as she sings about how Behind Closed Doors there is fear and lies, this song is one of many on the album that feature guitar from ‘Benji Luna’.
A blues guitar introduction begins the song and increases in its intensity as the song progresses and the combination once more between Benji’s guitar playing and Alicia’s piano player seem to be a perfect combination that not only adds to her own music but shows the ability of her close friend. Alicia’s vocals once more are powerful and emotional with her trademark soulful style that became more evident on her sophomore album ‘Waking Up’. She sings the song with a passion as expected and backing vocals are provided by her own cousin and fellow musician ‘Kara Romero’.

“Behind closed doors things aren’t as they appear
Behind closed doors your surrounded by fear
Behind closed doors is where the truth is set free
Behind closed doors rather you than me
Behind closed doors is where you can’t pretend
Behind closed doors is where you’ll fight and defend”

TRACK 9 – WHAT WILL YOUR LEGACY BE

‘What Will Your Legacy Be’ is a song that was written by Alicia the day after her 25th birthday in January, it’s a track that tackles the obvious thoughts of someone who is growing older and is wondering what they have to show for their life and is something that Alicia personally felt at the time that she wrote it, “I’ve never had a real plan for my life, I never thought that I need to be married at 25 and have children before I’m 30 or anything like that but when you hit a certain age landmark and you hear about another old friend getting married or becoming a parent of course you feel very happy for them but there’s also a sense of why don’t I have that? And I wrote the song after my 25th birthday, I was feeling a little down but you get out of that state of mind pretty quickly and learn that you’ve got your own accomplishments to be proud of”
The song is performed solely on the piano but as the chorus arrives Alicia sings acapella, the piano then continues for the next verse but then isn’t heard again for the rest of the song as Alicia finishes the song by singing acapella, she felt that just her voice alone without any instrumental backdrop would sound more moving and raw if it was just her voice and nothing else and felt that it’s lyrics lent itself to a more emotive and moving sound which was acquired during the acapella parts of the song.

“Each room is empty and there’s nothing to show
For years of hard work and nothing more
Your life is empty for everyone to see
Don’t you ever wonder what your legacy will be
What will your legacy be?
What will your legacy be?”

TRACK 10 – MY FOUR AM MIRACLE (FEAT. BENJI LUNA)

‘My Four AM Miracle’ is the second vocal collaboration on the album and once more features Alicia’s close friend ‘Benjamin Luna’ on vocals and guitar, it’s a rare love song that Alicia has often tried to avoid writing as she feels that those kind of love ballads don’t quite lend themselves to lyrical depth or real emotion but the song that was written by both Alicia and Benji does take on those traditional love song feelings, it’s a song that isn’t quite as obvious as other love songs and could pose a few questions for the listener.
The song is very heavily influenced by a more modern sound, Benji’s electric guitar provides a screeching riff mid-way through the song as the lyrics progress to a more dramatic feeling and the trade-off of the vocals between Alicia and Benji provide an interesting combination as her powerful soulful tones and Benji’s emotional and almost Caribbean influenced vocals provide the main highlight of the song, it’s interesting to see how they work together on a more obvious collaboration.

“My four am miracle is so far away
Just living his life, getting through each day
There’s a water that tears us apart at the seams
But I know that I’ll be forever in his dreams
So I’ll keep on waiting for my four am miracle to come back to me
It’s a dream I keep having that keeps coming to me”

TRACK 11 – LAST KNOWN SURROUNDINGS

‘Last Known Surrounding’ is a song that is heavily influenced by many artists of the past, it has the emotive beauty of old-fashioned soul and the lyrical influence of folk musicians that have gone by most notably ‘Simon & Garfunkel’. The song follows an emotional narrative of a woman that has lost the people in her life that were most important to her and as she’s stuck in the town that she grew up in while almost everybody has managed to leave and create a better life somewhere else she is almost haunted by a former love and her family try to hide her pain, “They just whisper your name under their breath/But they don’t understand that it has the same effect” is perhaps one of the most emotive lines from the album and the track in particular is one of the most artistically interesting tracks and shows a different side to Alicia’s songwriting.
The song is dominated by the echoed tones of the piano keys and the soft twang of the strings of an acoustic guitar that set the mood throughout the song, it’s a rather quiet and emotional song and Alicia’s vocals are reigned in as she sings with a softness that isn’t often heard by her, throughout the song you can almost feel a silence and the loneliness that Alicia sings about as the narrator and finishes with the combination of piano and acoustic guitar.

“And in these last known surroundings I’ll find myself searching for you
They’ll pretend you don’t exist
They just whisper your name under their breath
But they don’t understand that it has the same effect
In these last known surroundings, I’ll search for your face
But the more that I look, It gets harder to trace
In these last known surroundings, I’ll mention your name
But it’s clear to me, things can’t ever be the same”

TRACK 12 – PLACE A WISH IN YOUR HEART (FEAT. CHLOE)

The song was written in February 2012 during the initial recording sessions for her third studio album and an early version of the song was recorded during the sessions without the rap verse on the song, however upon hearing the initial version of the song it was suggested by her producers, Nevaeh Martinez-Smith and Will.Rocca that perhaps an addition to the song would be best and after consideration Alicia decided to include a rap verse to the song which is something she’s never really took on as a songwriter in the past but two weeks later the official version of the songs lyrics were completed and she called upon her friend Chloe, the two have worked together on a number of occasions throughout their careers and they recorded the song together with featured rap vocals from Chloe.
The initial idea for the song came back in November 2011 as Alicia was starting to think about ideas for the new album, she wanted to create an album filled with optimism which included elements of her own faith and after writing ‘Drop The Needle And Pray!” the lead single from the album around this time it was during a meeting with a friend a couple of weeks later where she played a demo version of the aforementioned lead single, after talking about ideas for the album, she scribbled the chorus of the song on a napkin which became the foundation on which the song was built.

A trademark soft twinkly piano introduction is heard at the beginning of the song, it takes around 13 seconds for Alicia to begin singing the opening lyrics to the song as the piano plays consistently throughout, it’s soft, emotional and slow but it builds in pace as the first rap verse with vocals from Chloe begins and the song hits its peak during her second rap verse which Alicia then follows up with the chorus and then the final verse which softly fades back out. Two vocalists a piano and the use of echo are the primary backdrop’s to the song and it’s the combination of the echo and piano which give the song the emotional and inspirational feel to the song that Alicia is clearly going for with the songs hopeful lyrics matched with her soulful RnB vocals. The rap vocals from Chloe help enhance the song and give it a little more energy which helps turn it from a slow paced ballad into a more energetic and soulful song.

“Somebody once told me that this is the place
Where everything is better and everything is safe
Somebody once told me that dreams come true
So make a wish and watch it come to you
Just make a wish and place it in your heart
Because we were born with dreams from the very start”

TRACK 13 – LISTEN TO THE PROPHETS (PART I)

‘Listen To The Prophets (Part I)’ is almost an anthemic track which is seemingly about being a musician and performing in front of crowds and hearing them singing your words back to you, it’s a rather uplifting track that has a rousing chorus and shows a slightly different songwriting approach compared to the rest of the album as Alicia states “It’s something that directly talks about what we do as performers and that’s something I’ve always usually avoided as a songwriter because I’m sure there would be some alienation whenever I performed a song because how are the audience gonna relate to it but it’s a song that hopefully people can enjoy and sing along to because that’s basically the theme of it.”
An upbeat piano introduction and a drum beat signal the beginning of the song and it’s lyrics progress as they tell a story of what it’s like to be a professional musician and having people hanging onto your every word, the chorus is a chest beating anthem type of chorus and backing vocals once more provided by ‘Kara Romero’ add to the anthemic effect off the song’s lyrics, Alicia’s vocals are strong and clear and hit a peak with the last note of the song.

“The prophets sing Hallelujah
The crowds listen to their every breath
They repeat those words back to you all at once
It’s a life changing effect”

TRACK 14 – AMERICAN DREAM OR AMERICAN REALITY

‘American Dream Or American Reality’ is almost a protest song in a similar vein to Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger that has Alicia asking what her country has become, she asks several questions as the song progresses including, “What sort of world are we living in that we can’t spare time for the needy and the poor/What sort of people are we becoming when we’re too afraid to open the door/What happened to the promise/What happened to the grace/What happen to the people/What happened to this place” it poses its primary question, “Is this the American dream? Or American reality?”
It’s soft acoustic opening is quickly followed by Alicia’s vocals that are almost spoken rather than sung, like ‘Last Known Surrounding’ it’s one of the more raw songs on the album and only features an acoustic guitar and Alicia’s vocals, you can hear everything clearly and the large space in the studio where this track was recorded provides an almost hauntingly beautiful echo which unintentionally adds to the song, Alicia sings the song with a slightly more aggressive and forceful vocal throughout and as the song ends it softly fades out with the twang of the acoustic strings that created a sombre mood.

“So here we stand in the land of the free
Wondering what happened to the promise to you and me
So is this the American dream or American reality?”

TRACK 15 – THE TRUTH OR A BEAUTIFUL LIE

‘The Truth Or A Beautiful Lie’ is a modern sounding RnB track, its instrumentation includes keyboards and a synthesizer as well as the piano and the backing beat provided by the drums and gives a modern feel as it’s perhaps one of the most modern sounding tracks from the album. The song’s lyrics takes on the narrative of a woman that has fallen out of love with someone and attempts to rationalise the situation and try to make the guy understand as she sings, “The choice is entirely up to you/I can tell you the truth or a beautiful lie/Either one will make you cry/But the decision is yours and yours only/But either way you’re gonna end up lonely.” It’s a slightly different take on a song by Alicia.
The song opens with an almost high pitched wail from the synthesizer that is played by Alicia and is quickly followed by the tones of the keyboards provided by Benji Luna and then the addition of the drum beat appears in the song and gives it the energy, Alicia sings with energy as the song is a slightly faster pace than previous songs from the album and as the synthesizer and keyboards seemingly disappear towards the middle part of the song the introduction of the piano begins and slows the pace and eventually fades out the song.

“The choice is entirely up to you
I can tell the truth or a beautiful lie
Either one will make you cry
But the decision is yours and yours only
But either way you’re gonna end up lonely”

TRACK 16 – DON’T LET IT GET TO YOU

‘Don’t Let It Get To You’ is another uplifting song and it’s about hope and not letting things drag you down and instead believing that whatever difficulties surround you will fall away if you just keep the belief and faith that things will get better, it’s a song that most people will be able to relate to and perhaps some people will find solace within its lyrical themes, again it’s a song that Alicia has often taken on in her career with its uplifting message and the soulful vocals it is a quintessential Alicia Lena type song.
It opens with a piano introduction and the addition of an echo and as the song progresses it appears that it includes layered backing vocals from Alicia herself that add to the effect of the songs hope-filled chorus, the piano playing adds an urgency and emotion throughout and the vocals from Alicia remain loud, powerful and drenched in her soul influences as she sings, “But there’s things that people say that just aren’t true/Don’t listen to a word they say/Don’t let it get to you.” And the song slowly fades with the keys of the piano.

“When the world is crumbling all around
You’re no longer standing on steady ground
Hopefully what will happen when the smoke starts to clear
Somewhere in the aftermath you’ll no longer have fear
But there’s things that people say that just aren’t true
Don’t listen to a word they say
Don’t let it get to you”

TRACK 17 – SOMEBODY OUT THERE LOVES ME (FEAT. DOMINIC BROWN & ISABEL MERJOS)

‘Somebody Out There Loves Me’ was written by Alicia Lena in August 2011 towards the end of her world tour. Alicia said that it’s one of the rare songs that she’s written which don’t directly relate to something in her own life, she stated that it has a theme that she was interested in writing a song about and it initially wasn’t planned to be recorded but after finishing the song, she decided to record it and after recording a rough demo, she felt that it would work better as a collaboration which is when she decided to edit the song a little which led to her calling Dominic Brown and Isabel Merjos to talk about them featuring on the song. They then met up and recorded the song in New York and within 4 days, they had completed recording the song with Will.Rocca and following the announcement of Alicia signing a new record deal with Tric-Jam Records, they decided that it would be the perfect way to begin her new era with the new label.

‘Somebody Out There Loves Me’ is an R&B ballad which shows a breezy soulful vocal from Alicia Lena. The song begins with a soft piano introduction which complements Alicia’s vocals at the beginning, the only other primary instrument heard in the song are the drums which begin during Dominic Brown’s R&B vocals which fit the song perfectly. Alicia continues to play the piano throughout and the upbeat pop vocal from Isabel add to the song perfectly, the combination between the three fit the song very well. The song rises in power towards the end with the piano increasing in volume and power, the final part of the song shows a more powerful vocal combination from Alicia and Isabel as they give the song a strong R&B vocal which shows off both emotion and strength from Alicia and Isabel, perhaps an unlikely combination but it works very well for the song and the heart wrenching final notes from Alicia and Isabel give this song a hugely powerful ballad feel to it.

“You’ll never take what I have
You’ll never take it away from me
I’m gonna rise to the top tonight
Because somebody out there
Somebody out there
Oh, somebody out there
Loves me”

TRACK 18 – REBUILD FROM THE ASHES

‘Rebuild From The Ashes’ is a song that was written as a 9/11 tribute, although never released, the song’s lyrics were posted on her official website in September 2011. The song’s lyrics focus on hope and strength and how people are there to lend a helping hand when things get a little too difficult to take, it’s lyrics sing about the loss that people faced but put the focus on the belief that they can make it through despite whatever difficulties come their way.
The song is just Alicia and the piano, although her voice overpowers the tones of the piano and make the song almost feel acapella it’s another rousing almost anthemic song that pushes the positive ahead of the negative once more and it’s almost gospel-like chorus create a positive and almost upbeat energy throughout the song, as it progresses it focus on the loss but it returns to the positivity on the final line of the song, “Don’t feel alone in this empty world because we’re all here for you”.

“Emptiness and longing for one last kiss
One last I love you, one last moment of bliss
One more candle, one more prayer
One more hug from your daughter and sons
This is too unfair
---
So with letters in the mailbox and work boots by the door
The memories of your loved ones will return to you once more
The light shines through the window pane and seems like things will be alright
But we know that it gets tough sometimes but you’ve gotta brave the fight
And the pain can sometimes hurt so bad, but know that this is true
Don’t feel alone in this empty world because we’re all here for you”

OOC: It's kinda rushed so it's probably not great but hopefully it's decent enough as something other than the track by track descriptions which tend to take a whole lot of time and planning :)
thanks 2 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 21/05/2012(UTC), erich hess on 22/05/2012(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2012 08:55:11(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Brittany: Stunning. This album is amazing and I'm not surprised, Your music has so much meaning and is incredibly natural, creative and artistic. Definitely going to be one of my favorites this year and I'll be picking up a copy.

OOC: I like the descriptions, as I believe the smaller descriptions are easier to read. I look at it as "quality over quantity" and you definitely made the songs very clear in your descriptions. Great job once again :):)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 23/05/2012(UTC)
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2012 19:00:12(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Cassie: Your music has always gotten me through so much and I'm positive this one will too. :)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 23/05/2012(UTC)
Offline Moquel  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2012 01:50:31(UTC)
Moquel

Was thanked: 1391 time(s) in 964 post(s)

Radio: This album gave me chills because in so many ways it's the truth. You provide great powerful music. It's the escape when the world is cruel. I feel like you have reached new heights and made history with such a great album. It's something that I need to listen too when I'm feeling like I need some soul and motivation.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Moquel for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 26/05/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 26 May 2012 02:49:55(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
Brittany: Stunning. This album is amazing and I'm not surprised, Your music has so much meaning and is incredibly natural, creative and artistic. Definitely going to be one of my favorites this year and I'll be picking up a copy.

OOC: I like the descriptions, as I believe the smaller descriptions are easier to read. I look at it as "quality over quantity" and you definitely made the songs very clear in your descriptions. Great job once again :):)

Alicia: Aww thank you Brittany! That means an awful lot to me to hear such kind words about my work, it makes the time spent crafting these songs and spending countless hours in a recording studio for the best part of four months all worthwhile when I hear that sort of praise.

OOC: Thanks :) The big detailed descriptions get kinda annoying to have to write, so I figured I'd go with something a little less time consuming, I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the descriptions :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 26 May 2012 02:51:02(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Cassie: Your music has always gotten me through so much and I'm positive this one will too. :)

Alicia: Thank you Cassie, That means a whole lot to me to know that my music has helped people out in some way, I hope that you enjoy the album :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#12 Posted : 26 May 2012 02:53:56(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Moquel Go to Quoted Post

Radio: This album gave me chills because in so many ways it's the truth. You provide great powerful music. It's the escape when the world is cruel. I feel like you have reached new heights and made history with such a great album. It's something that I need to listen too when I'm feeling like I need some soul and motivation.

Alicia: Wow, that's some pretty high praise right there. I'm so glad that you enjoy the music that I make and I'm glad that you view it the way I had hoped it would be viewed, for me I think my music is all about trying to making sense of the world and I hope that it could reach out to other people and help them understand things a little better perhaps, I can always hope at least :) Thanks again for such high praise!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Moquel on 26/05/2012(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#13 Posted : 26 May 2012 02:59:49(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Abie: You always amaze me with your music Alicia! I’m so happy that you keep making music and giving us great tracks like in this album. You’re a huge inspiration!
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 26/05/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#14 Posted : 26 May 2012 05:36:35(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Abie: You always amaze me with your music Alicia! I’m so happy that you keep making music and giving us great tracks like in this album. You’re a huge inspiration!

Alicia: Aww thank you Abie, that means so much to me to know that I've become an inspiration for an artist that I admire a great deal. I'm glad that you enjoy my new music :)