logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2013 00:22:55(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8536 time(s) in 2673 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Released: January 13, 2013
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Radio Airplay
Recorded: October 2012, Avatar Studios, New York City, NY
Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop-Punk
Length: 5:02
Label: North Hill Records
Writer(s): Amy Meyer
Producer(s): Isaac Lovelock, Riot! In The Boulevard

THE REVIEW

The heartbreak and poisonous teenage angst writing of Amy Meyer has served Riot! In The Boulevard incredibly well in the past, they’ve become the poster boys (and girl) for the unconventional teenage loners and their spirited but often bleak take on love is just one of those things that has propelled them to superstardom, not just in the eyes of the lonely youth across the States but in the eyes of a mass audience that has been circulating for the past three years now and the band have started the engine running for this new year, with a tour beginning in late January and set to sweep across the world for the majority of 2013 and now the awaited second single from their most recent studio effort, their third number one record (‘Crossroads’) is set for release.

From the very opening of the song, that aggressive leading guitar riff and the sound of Amy Meyer spitting out the opening lines with just as much aggression (“There she goes, they call her little miss drama”) it’s an opening line that instantly sets the angry tone of the song and as the song arrives at around the one minute mark it becomes a clashing and powerful statement from the band as all four of the bands instrumentalists give the song a huge rock and roll weight to it, the guitar riff from Justin sounds vintage, almost as though it’s been borrowed from a 70’s Classic Rock outfit, while Adam’s guitar playing is much more looser, fast and ferocious like the young rock group are trying desperately to keep the pop-punk candle blazing as brightly as they can, combine that with the huge almost big band drumming of Nathan Mullen that gives the song a little of the dramatic elements and you’ve got yourself a modern pop-punk interpretation of Phil Spector’s classic wall of sound. But at the very height of it all and amidst the huge instrumental backdrop is the voice of Amy Meyer’s, not in an shape or form dwarfed by the large guitar based production of the song, it’s heightened when she fires out the lines (“Those beautiful songs lamenting love couldn’t have been more pure/But the media infected her and there’s just no cure.”)

It’s evident that she’s singing a song about celebrity culture, but with a little more of a deeper look into the lyrics and the fiery nature of her vocals it’s more emotional than it may come across to the casual listener, she’s not just singing about a celebrity wannabe but perhaps even a friend who may have lost their way in the height of fame, it’s angry and aggressive on the face of it, but it’s also a portrayal of someone who has been changed by fame and as Amy bellows out the words, you feel that although they’re sharp and aggressive that they’re rooted in emotion. Another way of interpreting the song is that it could very well be self-deprecating, although it’s not written in the first person it’s not completely unfeasible that this is Amy Meyer taking a stab at her own feelings about herself and the person that she’s become, after-all she has become a well-known name in the industry so don’t rule out the possibility that this isn’t about the flame-haired frontwoman.

THE VIDEO

THE SONG

‘How Did We Get Here?’ is a single by the American alt-rock band ‘Riot! In The Boulevard’, it’s the second single from their third studio album ‘Crossroads’ and is the ninth official single released from the teenage musicians in under three years in the music business. The track was written towards the end of September 2012 solely by band-leader and frontwoman ‘Amy Meyer’, it was written during the recording sessions of their latest album and included as an almost last-minute track for the collection of music released on the number #1 album ‘Crossroads’ and it follows their previous single from the aforementioned third studio album ‘Crossroads’, that previous single was ‘Somewhere On The Horizon’ which became their fourth number one single of their short careers.
It’s a song that is heavily linked to celebrity culture and the things that people will do in order to stay in the spotlight for as long as possible. It’s lyrics are relatively light-hearted in a surprising change from the more serious style that the band are known and famed for, but it’s lyrics are seen as a scathing indictment of the entertainment industry and the music industry in particular that each member of the band find themselves associated with, however the music is loud and aggressive which gives the song a powerful pop-punk feel to it.

This single was recorded at ‘Avatar Studios’ in New York City through October 2012 for their latest album ‘Crossroads’ and this will be released as the second single taken from their latest studio album and once again it features co-production from ‘Isaac Lovelock’. The single is set to be released through ‘North Hill Records’ and will be available in three formats, CD Single, Digital Download and Airplay, on January 13, 2013.

A powerful opening lead guitar riff if surrounded by the thunderous drum beats as Amy bellows out over the sounds of the instruments, “There she goes, they call her little miss drama/On the outside she’s a beautiful spirit but on the inside she’s got a soul darker than night/Her album is about to drop on Monday and it’s the perfect time for her to start a fight” the leading guitar riff continues as does Amy’s vocal, “The press haven’t spoken about her in a little while/And she’s starting to think that she may be going out of style/So she’ll change her sound from country to techno/But don’t criticize her/Because she’ll never ever let go” as the leading riff drives the song forward it’s now combined by the rhythm guitar and bass guitar from Adam and Jason as well as the repetitive pounding of the drums from Nathan which remains centred around Amy’s loud and aggressive vocal delivery, “ Well here she goes again tonight/Just playing the victim but it’ll be alright/It can be just another story to sell to Rolling Stone/About how all of her friends have abandoned her and left her all alone/And she’ll claim that all she wants is some respect/But that girl is way beyond help/The noose is already wrapped around her neck”

The song reaches its breakdown point as the guitars soften slightly with the bass becoming more prominent at this stage of the song as Amy continues to sing, “She’s friendly now, but it won’t last/And she says all of her trouble is buried in the past/She’ll confide in you and talk about her greatest insecurities and fear/And I just sit and wonder/How did we get here?” the instrumentation then powers up once again, “She used to be the next music hero until fame hit her/She quickly turned to zero/Those beautiful songs lamenting love couldn’t have been any more pure/But the media infected her and there’s just no known cure” the music continues to drive forward as the chorus and pre-chorus arrive once more before the thunderous beat of the drum ends the song.

LYRICS

“There she goes, they call her little miss drama
On the outside she’s a beautiful spirit but on the inside she’s got a soul darker than night
Her album is about to drop on Monday and it’s the perfect time for her to start a fight
Whatever gets her through her empty days
Whatever gets her through those cold and lonely nights

The press haven’t spoken about her in a little while
And she’s starting to think that she may be going out of style
So she’ll change her sound from country to techno
But don’t criticize her
Because she’ll never ever let go

Well here she goes again tonight
Just playing the victim but it’ll be alright
It can be just another story to sell to Rolling Stone
About how all of her friends have abandoned her and left her all alone
And she’ll claim that all she wants is some respect
But that girl is way beyond help
The noose is already wrapped around her neck

She’s friendly now, but it won’t last
And she says all of her trouble is buried in the past
She’ll confide in you and talk about her greatest insecurities and fear
And I just sit and wonder
How did we get here?

She used to be the next music hero until fame hit her
She quickly turned to zero
Those beautiful songs lamenting love couldn’t have been any more pure
But the media infected her and there’s just no known cure

Well there she goes again tonight
Just playing the victim but it’ll be alright
It can be just another story to sell to Rolling Stone
About how all of her friends have abandoned her and left her all alone
And she’ll say that it gets tough and that nobody will ever care
With a tweet tweet here and a tweet tweet there
But she changes her tune pretty darn quick
She knows how to work the industry
She knows every little trick

She’s friendly now, but it won’t last
And she says all of her trouble is buried in the past
She’ll confide in you and talk about her greatest insecurities and fear
And I just sit and wonder
How did we get here?”

PERSONNEL

Amy Meyer – lead vocals, lyrics, composition, production
Justin Mullen – lead guitar, backing vocals, production
Jason Greenberg – bass guitar, production
Nathan Mullen – drums, production
Adam Benjamin – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, production
Isaac Lovelock – production, mixing

SOUNDS LIKE

Tonight Alive – Listening

thanks 4 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Walton on 14/01/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 14/01/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 14/01/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 14/01/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2013 02:11:47(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Amazing job as always and that movie literally just came on this morning lol.

Jennifer: I can't even begin to express how much I love you guys, you're like my favorite band out. You're just always so consistent and I love all your songs. Amy's got a great voice and your lyrics pretty much blow me away every time.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 14/01/2013(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2013 04:35:53(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James: You guys NEVER fail to impress and this was a personal favorite of mine off of the album so I'm happy this amazing track was chosen as a single. :)

OOC: Great lyrics, description, video...everything :) Very well written and easy to read. Good job!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2013 05:41:35(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: How anyone could say that they don't like Riot! is just strange. You guys are truly one of the best bands and I hope you stay around forever. This song is just what I needed to hear right now. It just speaks to me just as all your music does. To top it off, the video is nothing short of incredible. Keep up the great work guys. :)

Ooc: I'm so jealous lol. Everything you do is so cool and brilliant. Great job. :)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2013 06:32:56(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Matt: I'm a fan of course. The song is great and the video is nicely done. Cant wait to catch you on tour.
UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
thanks 1 user thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:11:37(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Amazing job as always and that movie literally just came on this morning lol.

Jennifer: I can't even begin to express how much I love you guys, you're like my favorite band out. You're just always so consistent and I love all your songs. Amy's got a great voice and your lyrics pretty much blow me away every time.

OOC: Thanks :) freaaaaky :P

Amy: Woah! thanks Jennifer, I'm glad you think so highly of us, we're really not all that good :P

Adam: Speak for yourself Meyer! I'm a supergroup all on my own ... true story.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 19/01/2013(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:13:04(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
James: You guys NEVER fail to impress and this was a personal favorite of mine off of the album so I'm happy this amazing track was chosen as a single. :)

OOC: Great lyrics, description, video...everything :) Very well written and easy to read. Good job!

Amy: Thanks James, I'm glad that you enjoyed the track and that we continue to impress you :)

OOC: Thank you :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:17:20(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: How anyone could say that they don't like Riot! is just strange. You guys are truly one of the best bands and I hope you stay around forever. This song is just what I needed to hear right now. It just speaks to me just as all your music does. To top it off, the video is nothing short of incredible. Keep up the great work guys. :)

Ooc: I'm so jealous lol. Everything you do is so cool and brilliant. Great job. :)

Adam: I agree with this statement!

Amy: Thanks Kourtney, it's insanely awesome when people speak so highly of us. It's very kind of you and we're glad that you enjoyed the track and our little venture into the music video world! :)

OOC: Thank you! that's very kind :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:17:59(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Osprey037[Reported Failure wrote:
;286407]Matt: I'm a fan of course. The song is great and the video is nicely done. Cant wait to catch you on tour.

Amy: Thanks Matt, it's always good to hear! glad that you like it :)