logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#21 Posted : 03 June 2013 03:13:36(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Groups: Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3956 time(s) in 1350 post(s)
Emerald Black - This album is amazing I cannot wait to buy this epic !!

Edited by user 03 June 2013 03:16:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 03/06/2013(UTC)
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#22 Posted : 03 June 2013 04:55:11(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Emerald Black - This album is amazing I cannot wait to buy this epic !!

Matt: It is a bit epic, isn't it? Thanks. And please do go out and get a copy and one for your friend.

Edited by user 05 June 2013 07:55:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
#23 Posted : 05 June 2013 07:54:28(UTC)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Overview
Writer: Billie Beckett
Producer: Vin Peters and Avil Hartman
Length:4:12
Track: 8
The second track of "Land and Sea" and the eighth track total on "Rome", "Arctic Stars" continues with themes of love and sacrifice and longing for something greater, some sort of larger understanding. It is slower and more ballad-like than most of the rest of the album. Built off of an acoustic guitar track the song is highly emotional. It continues to built the album towards its ultimate conclusion through the rising action. The song is reminiscent of earlier Reported Failure acoustic hits such as 2009's "Hope to Get Out". The song was written by Billie Beckett. It was recorded as part of the Sundlaugin Recording Session in Iceland and produced by Vin Peters and Avil Hartman.

Creating "Arctic Stars"
Writing
"Though many of us love short term adrenaline and thrills, I believe in the long run we all search not for a thrilling, dangerous kind of love even if our love starts there, but for a comfortable, blissfull kind of love" says Billie Beckett in explaining the beginning of how "Arctic Stars" came about. "But in many ways we know that a love like that is hard to come by that creating a clam, safe place out of love is probably the most difficult task most couples will face in their lifetimes and maintaining it after that is just as hard." It was with these types of thoughts that Beckett began writing "Arctic Stars" late in 2012.

"THere's something magical about wintertime" says Beckett. "The snow and the cold inspires songwriting in me that no other conditions can inspire. at the same time I was falling in love again and holding a lover through the cold is really where this song came from." Beckett is known for creating a whole image and landscape in his songs rather than a string of angst and blurred or distorted thoughts. He set the song in the arctic as two lovers have just found eachother and made love but the reality that they are freezing in the arctic then sets in playing to Beckett's original thoughts about how difficult it is to create a lasting, comfortable love. Thus the stark contrast of eden versus a frozen tundra was created through the song as Billie pleads that the love he is creating could be pure and everlasting.

'The religious allusions and struggles in this album were already a clear theme and by the time I wrote this song I felt very comfortable with making the contrast between Eden where we could live together content and comfortable forever, and somewhere like the arctic which would be beautiful and wonderful but we would freeze to death there." This contrast dominates the song. It expands the themes of searching and struggling for answers and purpose and seeking a greater meaning out of an ordinary life as Beckett questions which ind of love is best and whether the wrong kind of love could be deadly.

Recording
"As a band we've always had an emotional, kind of nostalgic connection with acoustic guitars" says Billie Beckett. Some of Reported Failure's first hits were songs built around acoustic guitars. After "Landslide" which was purely acoustic but a cover Reported Failure wanted more songs on "Rome" that were acoustically driven. Thus as they went in to Sundlaugin Studios to record "Arctic Stars" everything started with Billie Beckett and Vin Peters playing with acoustic guitars.

With an acoustic backdrop the band worked a couple of demos and then began recording. With a soothing, cool acoustic track building everything the song carried on very naturally and smoothly. "There's something very romantic about building a song, especially a spiritual song like this off of an acoustic guitar. It seems like everything just flows smoothly and beautifully after that and the song is effortless and glorious." says guitarist and producer Vin Peters. Being familiar with eachother and at this point in a recording zen, Reported Failure spent a sleepless night recording.

Such a sleepless night worked well. The song was recorded largely from 7:00 PM until 5:00 AM one day. Breaking his normal routine Beckett recorded the song with no break. He layed the final vocal touched on just minutes after the final electric guitar track was added. "As our music has become more spiritual I think the way we make it also has." says Beckett. "I just wanted to keep going and not lose that magic that we had going because it was amazing and indescribable." Thus the song was off to Avil Hartman's mixing before completion.

Finished Product

We came from nowhere in search of some holy barricade
Rest in eachothers bodies like a perilous matrimony raid
We've been left in the cold together dying for some love
Sometimes the journey starts but we dont know where to end
Our boat is a body crippled a boy whose morals bend
We're here in the cold forever living just off our love
we clutch eachother in hope god makes us strong
Hope he turns this tundra to Eden where we belong
We're fighting to build a species from our love
Come turn back the clocks there is no serpent in the cold
Bring us our child let us all grow old
We'll make this tundra Eden with our love

We'll stay here together under the arctic stars
Until we just freeze
Freeze from our faults
Freeze from the questions
Freeze from the no good lovesongs we will never sing
Until we freeze
Freeze from our temper
Freezing forever
Freeze when we force our pride to forget to prey or plead

I'm unholy and you're a wreck stepping out of sorrow
We begged and stole so much there's nothing left to borrow
We're left with nothing but our love
I cant believe what we have accomplished
But still our vice and virtue aren't distinguished
Sometimes hate can hide love
I guess we're stuck here forever so at least its with you
Die like young lovers our faces cold numb and blue
Yes we can die for our love
But I wish this were warm a saint'like forest to be wild and free
A brand new Eden where all our hopes can live and be
We'll make this tundra Eden with our love

Until we just freeze
Freeze from our faults
Freeze from the questions
Freeze from the no good lovesongs we will never sing
Until we freeze
Freeze from our temper
Freezing forever
Freeze when we force our pride to forget to prey or plead

We're stuck frozen under the arctic stars
We're looking for light
But stars dont burn
The sun is missing
I'm in heaven and I'm dying once more
We're stuck frozen under the arctic stars
We're so in love
We're looking for answers
I cant die again when there's life ahead

Sounds Like

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Overview

Length: 3:30
Track: 9
The ninth track of "Rome" and third of the "Land and Sea" section, "Frosted Peaks" is the lead single from the album. It was released as a single on May 21st. The song was written specifically to only have the basic instruments of a rock band: drums bass and guitar. as recording took place at Sundlaugin Studio in Iceland the band stayed true to that. Lyrically it is about conquering and committing even to the point of death. Continuing with the theme of seeking purpose in life, Beckett identifies love and family as a key part of that purpose. The song is consistent musically with much of the rest of the album and an obvious favorite to play live as well as smart choice for a single.

Creating "Frosted Peaks"
Writing
"One of the most sickening, yet exciting and unmistakably distinct feelings is that of realizing you're in love and not knowing what to do about it." is what Billie Beckett said when we first got to talking about "Frosted Peaks". For Beckett it was falling back in love with the woman he had a child with who had broken his heart but this time committing to her and their family. "I just imagined a mountain ahead because thats what its like to just want to stay in love with someone that it is hard and scary to love so much. That's what its like to just be a man looking at his own future as a father and one day a hopefully a husband and its terrifying but exciting and thats where this song came from."

The song progressed from there to encompass an entire image and evolution from just the cool soothing feeling of love and physical bliss to then realizing that there are consequences to that and having to face those consequences. "This song really became about committing to suffering in order to reach something that needed to be reached." says Beckett. From there Beckett was able to do something that has characterized his lyrics since the early days of the band: take a specific concept and make it apply to the general and relatable whilst still remaining specific and personal.

The way Billie Beckett did this was through the metaphor of the frosted peak. It became a challenge that anyone faces. Yet not just any challenge but rather the challenge of their lives. As the last verse shows Beckett would be fine to die atop the peak for he had accomplished what he set out for leaving his friends and risking everything. "What I had to reach was a sure love and trust for my family. Because I reached it nothing else at all mattered. Nothing else matters."

Recording
"For Frosted Peaks we knew from the beginning that we wanted to stick just with the basic instruments of a rock band and just make the best song we possibly could with those options." says guitarist and producer Vin Peters. As recording began it became apparent that Reported Failure could create diverse and haunting style arrangements with nothing more than a couple of guitars bass drums and vocals.

Soon the band decided not to really open up the song to the full band immediately as to add the impact when they finally did. "It really just made sense to start with only a guitar to keep the beginning calm and then expand the sound later. I felt like it fit with the lyrics very well." says Billie Beckett. THis meant that guitar was the first instrument to go. Beckett, himself, began working on the tone, adjusting the pedals, and finally finding a clean but slightly crunched tone that fit the mood. A riff was quickly arranged that was catchy and easy to duplicate live. The rhythm guitar draft track was done.

After the basic guitar had been added the weight went to Robert Edwards and Matt Collins to build the spine and structure of the song with drums and bass. The best word to define their contribution is power. The two added the power to the song that let it take shape. From there though more pwer even so was added as a slight overdriven rhythm guitar joined the mesh of instruments.

All of this layed the groundwork for the vocals and lead guitar to take the dominant foreground of the song. Reported Failure's most outspoken members creatively, Vin Peters and Billie Beckett, take center stage. Vin Peters gives classic Reported Failure fans a taste of the loud, distorted, heavenly punk guitar sound that he is in high demand for. Just a few takes and vin got a guitar track that he, Reported Failure, and Producer Avil Hartman were satisfied with.

Finally, it was time for Billie Beckett and the vocal magic that makes him one of rock and rolls greatest modern, contemporary vocalists. He and Matt Collins rehearsed twice to get the harmonies right and one take later the song was ready to be mixed.

Finished Product
Like steady footsteps on soft, snowpacked ground a simple guitar riff starts the song. Adding personality and tone to this footprint Billie Beckett begins singing smoothly but shyly as if afraid to hurt someone's feelings. Quietly honest he sings over just the guitar. Joined soon by harmonies as if to echo his point the vocals become more of a gospel preaching an unwanted truth. Suddenly drums join in the pounding of a racing heartbeat and the footsteps turn into a jog. Beckett picks up the confidence in his vocals yelling the line "but there's a frosted peak
On the path up ahead". Then as he goes into the next line the jog becomes a sprint. The guitar joins in distorted agony like snow being pushed and moved by the new sprint. Bass and drums pound away driving the song forward through the storm. Beckett and Collins both sing with confidence in the fury of hushed desires as the rest of the instruments scream around them. in this manner the song continues in a desperate sprint through all the lyrics finally slowing over the tone of Vin Peters's distorted guitar until it stops.

The snow will fall
And we'll lay in it
we'll say we'll lay
But we're lying all the same
I'll wait for you
Let us grow old together
Lay in the cold
And we'll be lying together

One day we'll be friends in the sky
we'll see our lives fly on by
We'll count all the sounds and smells
And we'll sing ourselves hoarse

(We'll be lying we'll be lying
We'll be lying we'll be lying)

but there's a frosted peak
On the path up ahead
But back down here we've got so many friends
We'll take all we can
and there's a chill outside
As we fight off the wind
I want to be frozen but still to feel you again
Before I go away
Freeze away to oblivion

There's a man in a coat
Greeting us at hell
There's too much winter
Today I'm falling apart
It's the worst night ever
When you left me alone
Hold me forever
Answer your fucking phone
I'm desperate and hopeless
But I love you
So hold me in the cold
You can reach the peaks too
We'll be oblivion

So we finally climb
With this child we've made
Maybe we'll make it alive
Maybe we climb to our graves
But I'm ready for you
If you're ready for me
There's a frosted peak below our family
You can leave if you want
But I love you so
So lets die if we must but not alone
I love you so
So kick off out clothes
Die together in the frosted peaks of our home

Sounds Like

Edited by user 05 June 2013 07:55:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 05/06/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 05/06/2013(UTC), erich hess on 05/06/2013(UTC), GirlSpice on 07/06/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 07/06/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#24 Posted : 05 June 2013 07:58:54(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Emerald Black - this album is sounding better and better with every song love it
UserPostedImage
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#25 Posted : 05 June 2013 08:08:43(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: I'm really loving the direction with this album you guys. I thought it was going to be a typical Rock album but you guys are way beyond that ;)

OOC: Great consistency with these awesome lyrics :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

#26 Posted : 05 June 2013 10:33:43(UTC)

Vin: Thank you very much. We try not to make any release of ours "typical"

OOC: Glad you took note of the lyrics. They're my favorite part. Thanks.
UserPostedImage
Offline GirlSpice  
#27 Posted : 07 June 2013 00:14:40(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Glamazon: This album is WILD so far, in the sense that it pushes all the right boundaries and really puts you guys on a whole new level, marvellous. The lyrics are stunning, but "Arctic Stars" in particular has to be a favourite... get any better than that and I may have to kill you all. ;)

OOC: Amazing stuff so far, I'm jealous of your lyrics!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 07/06/2013(UTC)
#28 Posted : 07 June 2013 04:34:51(UTC)

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Glamazon: This album is WILD so far, in the sense that it pushes all the right boundaries and really puts you guys on a whole new level, marvellous. The lyrics are stunning, but "Arctic Stars" in particular has to be a favourite... get any better than that and I may have to kill you all. ;)

OOC: Amazing stuff so far, I'm jealous of your lyrics!

Billie: Thank you so much. Arctic stars is a great song. I'll make sure to watch my back and sleep with one eye open because there are still four songs to go.

OOC: Thank you. As I said; I'm glad people are noticing the lyrics specifically. They're really what its all about.
UserPostedImage
#29 Posted : 08 June 2013 05:38:26(UTC)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Overview
Length: 6:40
Track: 10
The tenth track of "Rome", "Land and Sea" concludes the third part of the album (Also titled "Land and Sea"). It finally reaches the divine appeal that the past three songs had been building to. At almost seven minutes it is one of the most powerful and emotional songs on the album. With a moving instrumental arrangement that flows and evolves eventually to a full rock and roll, powerful, heavy moment backing him up, Beckett is able to spew the most emotional confessions of longing and reflection upon his past. The song is absolutely an album highlight. It was recorded in May 2013 at Sundlaugin Studios in Iceland. The lyrics were written by Billie Beckett and the song was produced by Vin Peters and Avil Hartman.

Creating "Land and Sea"
Writing
"Love needs so much to last" says a very sober Billie Beckett. "So much goes into it and even then after you seem to have reached the greatest state of love and security with that love there needs to be something more. Some greater power keeping that love going. Maybe that power is love itself and love simply needs to be accepted and nurtured, maybe its just a mutual agreement never to give up. Maybe it is divinity. Maybe it is god. Regardless it needs to be expressed and found." It is this realization that sparked "Land and Sea" for Billie Beckett. For while searching for answers about love and life he realized that even after reaching whatever was meant to be reached there was still more to go.

For some time now Beckett has been living in a beach-side home near Santa Cruz, California. He's been seeing his son and her mother Sarah, the girl portrayed so negatively in the band's previous album "Darkness". Thus Beckett has had to try love again and again. "Raising a kid isn't easy. I've had to fight to be a part of his life. Then I've had to fight again to stay there. And through it all I've found the love I lost so long ago. That's where this song started. I need that love. I need it to last and to stay." says Beckett. "So I just started writing about how I wanted love to stay not even knowing yet that I was writing about a higher power than just humans and our lives. I didn't realize then that I was in fact talking not even about love but about our entire meaning and our entire purpose in life."

"I was outside my house sitting in the sand when I started writing this song. I was frustrated. So frustrated with everything. The waves were washing up just touching my ankles. Thus I was literally where the land met the sea. That's when I started writing this song." what Beckett would write down in a mere twenty minutes was the perfect accumulation of all the songs he had been working on for months. It was the answer to all the songs about his frustration with love and life and parenthood. THe song was a plea. "It was at that moment that I realized whether you believe in god or something else until you understand that divine power you cant be fulfilled you can only be desperate. So the song became about begging finally for that understanding to come."

Recording
"This was a song where we had to work hard to make it walk the line between being a layed back, quiet acoustic song and being a hard hitting heavy rock song because really with the lyrics it has neither of those would fit and it had to transcend and not be perfectly defined by either label." says guitarist and producer Vin Peters. This began with finding the right guitar style to go along with Beckett's vocals. The band tried acoustic and electric guitars alike, reverb and delay petals, muted and unmuted patterns, but it was to no avail. "Finally me and Billie just started messing around." says Vin. "Eventually we were just both playing two different patterns over eachother just for fun and I just stopped and said 'That's it.' and we went and recorded a demo ten minutes later."

With guitar all but handled the song started taking shape. "I think Vin and Billie with the guitar basically nailed what the song needed to be and from there me and Matt were just faced with the challenge of how to make it more than just a guitar jam without ruining it." says drummer Robert Edwards. The answer was subtlety. The band worked making the song blend well. Recording and re-recording until they felt satisfied. "We managed to make it so that the song sounds much more immense than it actually is. It sounds like there are more than just four instruments being played yet it still builds and flows and isn't just hard-hitting from start to finish." says Vin Peters.

With several days of endless work Reported Failure had a song they were proud of and it was ready for Billie Beckett's renowned vocal magic. Starting in the afternoon Beckett layed down one take and the whole band fell silent. "I knew right then that we had not just a great take but we had the next great Reported Failure song." says bassist Matt Collins. By late afternoon Collins had added the harmonies and the song just needed to be fully mixed and just like that Reported Failure was well on their way to finishing their masterpiece, "Rome'.

Finished Product
Beginning like drops of water guitars play over eachother creating a smooth surreal quality. bass drum thuds joined by a bass itself but slow and mysterious. It is built into the atmosphere though as if it is the shaking of ice forcing the droplets that are the guitar notes to fall off the edge of a monstrously large glacier. Beckett's voice floats in as if from a wind. He sounds bigger than the song itself as if his voice transcends all instruments and lives apart from the song in its own everlasting world. Random echos from the guitar are like random flashes of sunlight or crashes of the ocean. drums still build the steady but quiet greater foundation of the ice. Beckett's voice seems to get closer and more prominent with a god-like presence with all the song built only to compliment and fulfill him. Harmonies come in. Drums build. Bass thuds. Guitar flows. Slowly and surely the dripping quickens. It quickens and quickens and quickens. Then crashing chunks of ice off the side of the glacier as the whole song seems to be surrounded by the water of noise and bass and guitar and drums as Beckett sings in full glory and emotion. The flood commenced and continuing on even after Beckett had left the water rose and flowed and sang in beautiful melody.

Breathe in and out
Take in the glory
Of this cool mountaintop
Breathe up and down
Fight for all the oxygen
Cry for all we've ever known
Carry the world up to us
Wont you come carry the world up to us

Come now in this new age
Come to the conquering souls of fate
Come with the green grass gardens
Come with the polished fields of hearts
Come build the greatest empire
Come now to your place in time
Come save the Roman Legions
Come take this glory you've earned
Come bring wide sprawling hills
Come where harmonies meet the sun
Come to this Icelandic love
Come take us to the sky above

Come now to heal my heart
Come bring a city by the sea
Come with your heavenly love
Come with fire to keep us warm
Come un-cage these dying men
Come save these frozen souls
Come after we have reached the top
Come make it everything we love
Come make this moment everlasting
Come help me understand
Come to where my love begins
Come and wash away its sins

Come now to where the land meets the sea
Come let all I have be free
Come to where the water finds the sand
Come stop earthquakes and come build land
For I have seen all the mountains
I've seen heaven I've seen hell
I've been through every storm
Survived every trial
Sung through every spell
So come to where the land meets the sea
Come show your face and let it be
For I have seen both worlds
I've drowned in the water
I have starved in the sand
I wont let this be my end
So come now come and ascend
Come to where the land meets the sea
Oh please come show me

Sounds Like
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 08/06/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/06/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 10/06/2013(UTC)
#30 Posted : 08 June 2013 06:19:33(UTC)

"There are some feeling and emotions that are so raw in music that words can only twist and distort them. The most powerful feelings we experience in our lives can never truly be put into words. They can't even be put into lyrics. A melody speaks greater than anything else ever will. Sometimes melodies that are meant to purely express something are twisted to express something else by the words associated with them. These melodies are pure. They have no explanation. They are the feelings I had and that we all had when we went into the studio. They are uncorrupted by words. Their full power is just as it is. The listener may reach whatever emotion or conclusion feels natural from these songs. They represent my enlightenment to me but may represent anything to you." - Billie Beckett

OOC: Here is my grand experiment. Please excuse my novice piano playing. The point isn't to make the songs something brilliant. The point is to try something new that I've never seen done before: create actual listenable songs for these artists. So listen and then feel free to tell me how you feel about the idea and the execution of it.

UserPostedImage

Overview
Writer: Billie Beckett, Vin Peters, and Elton Walsh
Length: 1:14
Track: 11

UserPostedImage

Overview
Writer: Billie Beckett, Vin Peters, and Elton Walsh
Length: 2:18
Track: 12

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
Andre Gandra on 08/06/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/06/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#31 Posted : 08 June 2013 06:44:32(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
OOC: First of all, you incredible in doing this albums by Reported Failure, there's no way you dedicate so much time to make them and to think about consistent concept for them. Just like Darkness, this one is extremely good if not better! it show a growth for Reported Failure, I loved it and by the way, you’re piano skills are good, I wish I could play piano too.

Abie: 'Awakening', 'Landslide' and 'When I talk with God' were all written for me! Specially the first one I said here. I'm not into heavy rock songs, but your lyrics are just so open wide, they talk about things that deeply touch us, and 'When I talk with God' there's an extremely beautiful melody. Congratulation Guys, I'm sure you'll take that number one spot ;).

Magie: It's been like forever I haven't talked with you Billy. This is wonderful, just wonderful!
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 2 users thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 08/06/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/06/2013(UTC)
#32 Posted : 08 June 2013 09:07:05(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
OOC: First of all, you incredible in doing this albums by Reported Failure, there's no way you dedicate so much time to make them and to think about consistent concept for them. Just like Darkness, this one is extremely good if not better! it show a growth for Reported Failure, I loved it and by the way, you’re piano skills are good, I wish I could play piano too.

Abie: 'Awakening', 'Landslide' and 'When I talk with God' were all written for me! Specially the first one I said here. I'm not into heavy rock songs, but your lyrics are just so open wide, they talk about things that deeply touch us, and 'When I talk with God' there's an extremely beautiful melody. Congratulation Guys, I'm sure you'll take that number one spot ;).

Magie: It's been like forever I haven't talked with you Billy. This is wonderful, just wonderful!

OOC: Thank you a bunch! Whenever I am bored my mind just kind of wanders to stuff like this and thats where all of my idead are born. I do think its better than darkness. Mostly thats because I wrote all the lyrics at least and most of the descriptions before I started the thread so its more concise and focused and together. And thanks again about the piano.

Billie: Thank you both. Those are some of my favorites too, Abie and like I said "Landslide" is my favorite song of all time. And its good to hear from you, Magie.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
Andre Gandra on 08/06/2013(UTC)
#33 Posted : 10 June 2013 04:28:58(UTC)

UserPostedImage

Overview
Producer: Vin Peters, Avil Hartman, and Brandon Caulfield
Length: 3:30
Track: 13
The final and title track of "Rome" finds Reported Failure experimenting with a folk-rock side of them that no one has seen before. The band collaborated with Brandon Caulfield as a producer and guest vocalist to create a fiery acoustic track destined for airwave success. Lyrically the song concludes the album with Beckett applying his "Enlightenment" to his everyday life. The song is Reported Failure's "Call to action". The folk influences and Caulfield's vocals make it one of the most memorable tracks on the album. It was recorded in May 2013 at Sundlaugin Studios in Iceland. As well as Brandon Caulfield, Vin Peters and Avil Hartman also worked as producers. Lyrics are written by Billie Beckett.

Creating "Rome"
Writing
"We had to end big right?" says a joking Billie Beckett. Looking at the band's past albums, he is right. THe band always goes big for the last song. In this case Billie Beckett started with fury. "Think what you will of the album but overall it is about discoveries but mostly personal ones. For the last song we knew we wanted to take those discoveries and revelations and see how they could actually apply in the world." says Beckett. "This started with me just thinking about all that was wrong with the world and all that I wanted in the world. So these thoughts that were happening really at the end of the writing process for this album are what drove the title track."

From there Beckett spent a lot of time trying to write the song. "I dont think you can write great lyrics in a studio. Or at least I cant." he says. The result was breaks from the studio. the frontman insisted on a few breaks from Sundlaugin to just wander around the countryside. "Iceland is really beautiful. I think absolutely that recording there influenced the sound of the second half of the album. And in some cases it influenced the lyrics too." Finally for a couple of days while wandering around Iceland beckett had a hook he was satisfied with, and the rest of the song began coming from there.

"Really it was easy once I started with something I could work with." says Beckett. "I had been through my own enlightenment, as we'll call it. So really I just had to ask myself how that felt. The whole album is leading up to that enlightenment but this song gets to reflect upon it and say 'what now'. So part of everything was that I resolved that, contrary to popular belief, life is pretty great. Or at least has the potential to be great. but it also has the potential to be terrible. Part of our purpose in this life is to uphold it and make it as great as can be so thats where the idea of Rome came in because it is the most glorified bit of ancient culture yet it fell. Thats where this song comes from."

Recording
"This song feels like a call to action." says guitarist Vin Peters. "Because of that we knew it had to sound nothing like the rest of the album. We want fans to love the entire album. But we care a little bit less if they love this song. I love this song and we all do. But we mostly care that they remember this song. That whether they enjoy it or not it sticks with them." Part of how Reported Failure did this was by bringing in someone new to work on the song: Brandon Caulfield. The singer-songwriter superstar hadn't worked with Reported Failure before. But quickly they hit it off. "Before we went over to Sundlaugin we just met up with Brandon and had some drinks and talked. By the end of the night we all agreed that we would absolutely like to work with him. He's full of ideas and could bring us to a place musically that we've never been to before."

With this in mind, when Reported Failure began wrapping up the final songs of the album in Iceland, they decided that for the title track they wanted Caulfield. Within days he was in the studio. "He brought out the more folky acoustic side of us instead of I guess the emo acoustic side of us." says bassist Matt Collins. Within a day of recording he had Vin Peters, one of rocks biggest guitarists trying to shred on a banjo. Caulfield ended up creating the arrangement for the song. After a couple of demos the band was ready to record.

Matt and Robert were first laying down tracks for drums and bass. Then came the acoustic guitar which allowed Vin to play a very hard, fast acoustic track. A professional was brought in to record the banjo for the song. Then finally Beckett and Caulfield started working on the vocals. "I just kind of looked over at Brandon who we didnt really know whether he was just going to produce or not and I just said 'Do you want to sing?'" says Billie Beckett. From there the song took shape with Billie and Brandon harmonizing or switching off vocals. Eventually they found which parts made sense for each of them to sing with Billie singing the more aggressive parts and Brandon singing the softer parts with them both singing the end.

Finished Product
With the spitting, snarling sound of harsh acoustic guitar the song begins. Thundering bass and drums over the sparks of a banjo join in to the folk-rock storm of powerful, acoustic noise. Beckett's voice comes in like fire spewing a hot rage of malcontent over the aggressive musical backdrop. As the music fades to calm, cool, sustained chords even joined by a piano, Brandon Caulfield begins singing much more softly as the ice to Beckett's fire. In this way the song switches again with Beckett screaming and shouting in the raucous downpour, then Caulfield's composed vocals over the soothing background. Finally they both sing. with the instruments picking up after Caulfield's vocals. The last lines are repeated with both singers harmonizing over the louder arrangement.

[Billie]
This whole world's bound to raise up in arms
There's bread and a circus for every man alive
There's a white supremacist raising his cross
There's tyrant firing missles in the air
There's a plain for my manifested destiny
A river to ride to pollute the sea
There's a priest to put his hand down my pants
A genocide for everyone I know

[Brandon]
But I bend down to face the land and the sea
Prey to god he keeps it safe for me
I've been through dark, icy hell
So save my soul and keep me well

[Billie]
In this world material backstabbing greed
In the world of hate and short-term memories
I lye in the dirt with the dust in my face
Singing Jesus Christ come save me now!
He screams Billie Beckett you know you live in Rome
So save the republic and save yourself if you know how
Build a temple so mighty and high
Help your children and wife help them touch the sky

[Brandon]
I lay down in the grass
Love, this is heavenly at last
I'm not a pariah
Not a victim not a skull
I'm a man that's all I know
Here in Rome
We can be the greatest race
Build a church, a mosque a temple and crush the caste

[Billie and Brandon]
I will build a brand new day!
make a home for all my children to play
Sing hallelujah we've made it here at last
So we can make Rome anew from the past

Sounds Like

Reported Failure is:

Billie Beckett - Vocals
Matthew Collins - Bass
Robert Edwards - Drums
Vincent Peters - Guitar

PICK UP YOUR COPY OF ROME TODAY

Edited by user 10 June 2013 04:33:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#34 Posted : 10 June 2013 04:31:46(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Amy-Jayne - I have got my copy
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 10/06/2013(UTC)
#35 Posted : 10 June 2013 04:39:08(UTC)

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Amy-Jayne - I have got my copy

Matt: Perfect! We've sold at least one copy!
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#36 Posted : 10 June 2013 07:17:00(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8589 time(s) in 2692 post(s)
Amy: Completely staggering! Seriously, I'm running out of superlatives when it comes to Reported Failure. It's not only the best rock record in a long time but it's the best record in a long time, the fact that you've had a string of number #1 singles from the album and the fact that this will no doubt be a number #1 album proves unequivocally that if the music is good then people will purchase it, forget about image and promotion and all of that nonsense, it's about hard work and creativity and any young band or musician coming through that feels that they can't have success because they don't look like some pre-teen pop phenomenon should take some serious heart, belief and inspiration from this record and the reaction that it has already received and is bound to receive for many years to come. This is a masterpiece and it can sit up there with the absolute greatest records of all of time and if anybody has doubts that good music doesn't get made anymore then point them in the direction of this album! Amazing work from an iconic group of musicians!

OOC: Great work in putting this all together, it would have clearly taken a lot of time and effort to come up with something as creative as this. Everything throughout has been great, the lyrics are incredible and massively unique, brilliant! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 10/06/2013(UTC)
#37 Posted : 10 June 2013 18:39:31(UTC)

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Amy: Completely staggering! Seriously, I'm running out of superlatives when it comes to Reported Failure. It's not only the best rock record in a long time but it's the best record in a long time, the fact that you've had a string of number #1 singles from the album and the fact that this will no doubt be a number #1 album proves unequivocally that if the music is good then people will purchase it, forget about image and promotion and all of that nonsense, it's about hard work and creativity and any young band or musician coming through that feels that they can't have success because they don't look like some pre-teen pop phenomenon should take some serious heart, belief and inspiration from this record and the reaction that it has already received and is bound to receive for many years to come. This is a masterpiece and it can sit up there with the absolute greatest records of all of time and if anybody has doubts that good music doesn't get made anymore then point them in the direction of this album! Amazing work from an iconic group of musicians!

OOC: Great work in putting this all together, it would have clearly taken a lot of time and effort to come up with something as creative as this. Everything throughout has been great, the lyrics are incredible and massively unique, brilliant! :)

Billie: Wow. Thank you. We're really just glad to be here doing what we love and trying to make the best album that we possibly can and do the most relevant, creative thing we can think of. I really hope your right and that this album makes people come to their own realizations about music or about anything. Regardless of chart success, which were grateful to have, we hope that this helps revitalize the creativity and energy in the changing and evolving thing we call rock and roll.

OOC: Thank you very much. Incredible is what I was shooting for and I'm glad it seems to have worked. I do love writing songs. Outside of actually playing and recording them this is the best outlet I've found to do it. Glad you enjoyed it.
UserPostedImage
Offline Matticus  
#38 Posted : 11 June 2013 08:47:17(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
Jack Straw: This is the most amazing, incredible piece if art I have ever heard. This beats all of Infinite's albums and quite possibly is the best rock album the world will ever see. Just the development throughout is incredible! If either of my albums had even been half as amazing as this, I'd be a happy man.

OOC: if this doesn't wipe the board for awards I'm leaving this game and never returning. This is not only a great role play, this is art. Congratulations. You've just written the best album roleplay this site has seen.
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
thanks 1 user thanked Matticus for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 11/06/2013(UTC)
#39 Posted : 11 June 2013 10:11:24(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Matticus Go to Quoted Post
Jack Straw: This is the most amazing, incredible piece if art I have ever heard. This beats all of Infinite's albums and quite possibly is the best rock album the world will ever see. Just the development throughout is incredible! If either of my albums had even been half as amazing as this, I'd be a happy man.

OOC: if this doesn't wipe the board for awards I'm leaving this game and never returning. This is not only a great role play, this is art. Congratulations. You've just written the best album roleplay this site has seen.

Billie: We love Infinite. That's high praise. THank you very much. I'm glad you enjoy it.

OOC: Wow. There've been some great albums so thank you for that. I'm glad my bored teenage songwriting had gone into something someone even on the internet can enjoy.
UserPostedImage
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#40 Posted : 11 June 2013 22:50:18(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: Mind = blown lol. I haven't heard music like this in a while whete it actually meant something and was necessary in my CD collection. You guys have just killed the bar, pretty sure it won't be surpassed.

OOC: Now I believe it's just as easy to get a rp across without writing vast amounts but this was incredible even if it was a lot lol and I applaud your hard work.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 13/06/2013(UTC)