logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2013 14:11:32(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Artist: Reported Failure
Album: Rome
Label: Studio 60 Records
Length: 53:06
Producer: Vin Peters, Avil Hartman, Brandon Caulfield (Track 13)
Release Date: June 8, 2013
Genre: Rock
Format: Mp3 download, CD, vinyl
Personnel:
Reported Failure:
Billie Beckett (Lyrics/Vocals/Guitar)
Vin Peters (Guitar)
Matt Collins (Bass/Backing Vocals)
Robert Edwards (Drums)
Additional Personnel:
Hugh Keeley (Keyboard)
Elton Walsh (Piano)
Iceland Symphony Orchestra
London Symphony Orchestra
Brandon Caulfield (Guitar)
Joseph Harmon (Banjo)
Erik Saunders (Mandolin)

Track Listing
[Part I: Change & Rebirth]
1. Days Spent in the Dark (5:16)
2. Lunar Utero (3:34)
3. The Day After Forever (3:14)
[Part II: Give]
4. Awakening (3:52)
5. Goodbye, Innocence (4:55)
6. Landslide (Fleetwood Mac Cover) (4:22)
[Part III: Land and Sea]
7. When I Talk to God (6:31)
8. Arctic Stars (4:12)
9. Frosted Peaks (3:30)
10. By Land and By Sea (6:40)
[Part IV: Rome]
11. Enlightenment (1:13)
12. Journey's End (2:17)
13. Rome (Featuring Brandon Caulfield) (3:30)

Overview
"Rome" is the sixth studio LP by Sacramento, California based quartet Reported Failure and their eighth LP total. It will be released on Saturday June 8th through major label Studio 60 Records and will be the band's second LP on Studio 60 after spending much of their career with Liberation/Nomad Records. For the most part it picks up right where their 2012 release "Darkness" left off with frontman Billie Beckett contemplating his own life and the tragedy and depression. "Rome" however lifts out of sorrow and deals with Beckett finding his place in the world with his family, friends, and ultimately pondering god and the reason we are all here. Musically it abandons the theatrics of the bands previous release and settles on a more controlled, more in sync sound. The departure of former guitarist KC James is evident in the sound that is much lighter and subtly emotional than the heavy, hardcore sound that James brought to the band. Three singles have been released so far from "Rome". The first two, "Days Spent in the Dark" and "Lunar Utero" were released as a sample mostly to see how the world reacted to the new Reported Failure sound. Both hit #1. One right after the other with "Days Spent in the Dark" debuting at #1 on the Digital Downloads Chart and the following week "Lunar Utero" debuting at #1 on the Airplay Chart. A third single the "lead" or "promotional" single for the album, "Frosted Peaks" was released on May 21st. It is expected to chart at least within the top three if not ontop of the charts which would make it the band's sixth #1 hit.

The album itself was produced by Vin Peters and Avil Hartman who previously worked with Reported Failure on their 2010 release "Disarm". It was recorded through three separate recording sessions starting in September of 2012 in LA and finally finishing up in May 2013 in Iceland. Hype was built steadily from March 2013 when rumors surfaced of Reported Failure working on a sixth album and numerous members of the band were topics of gossip in news outlets such as Culture Uncut. The band, however, made "Rome" in relative isolation giving no formal interviews. They did however perform at several events leading up to the album's release. Billie Beckett now infamously cursed at the crowd at the Chaos Awards. he also was criticized by the religious right after lyrics of "When I Talk To God" were released. This built controversy as well as hype. For fans who thought Reported failure had changed for the worse, however, the band's headlining performance at Aphrodisiac redeemed their legitimacy as rock and roll's most intriguing and consistent young band. Finally the hype accumulated with the announcement of the album's release date, the release of "Frosted Peaks", and the announcement of a listening session for music industry critics and insiders and subsequent rave reviews.

Creating "Rome"
Writing
[Par I: Change and Rebirth]
The album truly begins exactly where "Darkness" ends. "I was depressed and really had nothing as we all know, but as soon as that started to ends I just was longing for a new beginning and thats where the concept of rebirth began as a lyrical theme." As far back as November 2011 Billie Beckett began intense feelings of wanting to start over. "It wasn't that I wished I had never been born I just wished I could do it all over again and that I wouldn't have been depressed and hurt the people around me." These feelings of wanting to be reborn began translating to actual lyrics by spring of 2012. "I had honestly enough songs by the end of summer 2012 to make the next Reported Failure album." says Beckett. The songs were all different though. Some delved deep into reflecting on Beckett's depression and only hinting at the concept of rebirth. In the end the band didn't want to make the album just about the literal concept of rebirth, so the best song of these was chosen. "Days Spent in the Dark" was the most loved song by Beckett and the rest of the band, so it was the first choice to go on the album. Additionally Beckett had accumulated a series f songs very directly addressing rebirth and the physical desire to be young again and to start over. creepy and raw, the lyrics of "Lunar Utero" draw upon images of Beckett crawling back inside of his mother in a desperate effort to be reborn. These almost disturbingly personal lyrics made "lunar Utero" one of Reported Failure's most popular singles and made it the perfect fir for the album. Finally Beckett wanted to explore another aspect of rebirth in the idea of sleeping forever and someday waking up in a rebirth. he imaged being much older and having had the world change around him but with him still alive. The result was the bitterness and loneliness of "The Day After Forever" to round out the first part of the album. "I think in order to really build the album we wanted to we first had to establish that we were starting again and reaching a new life rather than the same depression we had before, and with the Change and Rebirth section we were able to accomplish it" says Beckett.

[Part II: Give]
"We never make a series of 12 songs as an album. We always make a concise, purposeful story with exposition, rising action, a climax, falling action, and conclusion." says Billie Beckett. if "Change and Rebirth" was the exposition then "Give" is certainly the end of that and the beginning of the rising action. Lyrically it explores the more relatable aspects of life and its everyday challenges in contrast to the deep depression and longing for rebirth portrayed in the first part of the album and the longing for understanding portrayed later. Give describes more what we give our simple lives to which ultimately is each other. "I didn't have any specific shared theme for the songs on this part of the album. They were just a mix of ideas." The result of this is that "Give" is the shortest section of the album. The first song "Awakening" is a necessary transition in the story to make clear that rebirth has taken place. Written mostly in Autumn of 2012 after the album plans had begun the only other song that actually made it onto the album was "Goodbye Innocence". "I thought about the imagery I could use with houses and rooms. It basically turned into a song about decisions and living with the decisions we make in life everyday but then making the best of it all if we can and if we cant at least accepting it." The section also contains a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide". "We have played Landslide a lot and it really fit with the idea that life always goes on and changes and we just have to keep on going whether for better or worse. That's mostly what this part of the album is trying to say because after rebirth you still have to deal with the day to day stress and disappointment of life but instead of choosing depression you have to keep going." says Beckett.

[Part III: Land and Sea]
"There is a deeper purpose to life than day to day ups and downs." says Beckett. It is from here that Billie Beckett wrote the songs that would become "Land and Sea" the third part of "Rome". While the second part sought to teach someone who is reborn how to live day to day life "Land and Sea" goes deeper and tries to answer the question "If you've been reborn why? What is the purpose of you getting a second chance besides just doing better for yourself?" The longing by Billie to live better thus transitioned to longing to understand why he was living in the first place. The obvious way to look was towards god and religion. It is where Beckett first went explaining his struggles trying to relate to religion in "When I Talk to God". But Beckett soon moved to concepts such as love and hope and faith. Beckett's relationship with his longtime girlfriend known to fans just as Sarah inspired thinking about love and whether it is worth it despite the constant threat of heartbreak. "I wanted to build a story with images of the arctic and a winter landscape. I think it captured my overall mood." This story became the true rising action and climax of the album. Billie and Sarah's romance was documented as how Billie reached and sought more understanding and purpose out of life. The section is full of love but still with the omnipresent concept of god and divinity. "I think even the most hardcore atheists have to at some point explore the idea of god and a greater power. I did this and this part of the album documents it. Christians are born again and christian or not we all have to recognize the divine power of a personal rejuvenation."

[Part IV: Rome]
"Some feelings are so deep and intense that words dont describe them. They cant. To try to describe them with words would only destroy and underplay the power of these emotions. When that happens as an artist you have to step back and realize that you cant write lyrics for those songs. That melodies are all that can be done." says Billie Beckett. The first two songs of the final and self-titled section of "Rome" are instrumental with only a piano. Composed by the band with the help of classical pianist and spouse of Vin Peters, Elton Walsh, the songs are Beckett's expression of his transformation and realization. As "Land and Sea" ended Beckett was left longing for understanding, and the first song, "Enlightenment" is an expression of that thought, or feeling, or sight, or mission that finally he found. Thus "Journey's End" is Beckett's journey back to the regular world so he may see fit to apply his new knowledge and make an impact in the world. The only lyrics in the final part come in the title track of the album. Finally leaving the metaphors behind Beckett lists atrocities in an anger-filled assault on the world. "I realized that the world is fucked. So much in the world is fucked up. But I had this enlightening feeling in myself that it would be alright if I made it alright. This is where the mission of the album finally took place. I saw the parallel to Rome. Western culture and all its aspects are rooted from ancient Rome. All that we cherish started there and yet all that scares us, haunts us, destroys us, corruption, greed, violence, danger, was also there and it ultimately destroyed Rome. I realized that in America we all live in the new Rome and it is our mission to make it the grand, powerful, and moral Rome that it can be."

Recording
"Going in to recording we knew that we wanted to make a simpler album than we had with darkness. We knew we wanted to make an album mostly just with what we had purely as Reported Failure which was four guys with guitars, drums, bass, and voices." says guitarist and producer Vin Peters. In Los Angeles in September 2012 Reported failure began this endeavor as they recorded five songs for what would become "Rome". The simplicity was evident from the first song recorded "The Day After Forever." It was hard hitting, loud, and emotional but the band could duplicate it live easily. Joining them in the studio was Avil Hartman who helped to bring out the best that the band had. The guitar tone was thick, the bass was powerful, the drums were hard, and the vocals were emotional. From the beginning Reported failure didn't seek to make any song that sounded different from everything else ever made, but they sought to make an album of real rock songs that could withstand the test of time. Later in Studio Trilogy in San Francisco the album took shape further as the first two parts became very straightforward musically. Dark tonally for the most part but with brief poppy bursts such as "Awakening" the band worked quickly. "We've been a band for upwards of six years and we've been making albums that whole time. After that long we're very comfortable with eachother and kind of know what each of us wants before we say it, so making an album that we all love wasn't very hard to get started on." says bassist Matt Collins. With that said Vin Peters and Avil Hartman both pushed absolute perfection as producers. Days were spent re-recording to make sure no pitch or tone was off. At the end Reported Failure had half an album. Then it was time for Sundlaugin. Reported Failure went to Iceland to record the rest of the album at Sundlaugin Studios. "The atmoshpere there just inspired our creativity more than any other place in the world." says Billie Beckett. The mission to create an album that was great but also simple remained. The only song that wouldn't be easily played live is "When I Talk To God" which includes samples from the London and Icelandic Symphony Orchestras. Overall the tone got softer and the melodies got more ambient and soothing as the lyrical themes for the album changed. Finally Brandon Caulfield was brought in as a guest performer and producer for the title track including more bluegrass oriented instruments. "It just seemed to fit ya know? It was different and weird for us. We just loved ith though and especially for this song. It was perfect." says Vin Peters on working with Caulfield. Thus the album was finished and Reported Failure feels that they have created music worthy of Billie Beckett's lofty lyrics.

Interpretation
As the album is being released and since the whole thing was already heard in the Listening Sessions many theories as to its deeper and true meaning have arisen. The most popular theories are outlined below.
Plato's Allegory
One clear interpretation is that Billie Beckett is creating an entire album to echo philosopher Plato's famous Allegory of the Cave. Please brush up on Plato's Allegory before fully entertaining and understanding this theory, but essentially the rebirth at the beginning is leaving the cave initially. The confusion, frustration, disbelief, etc is documented in "Give" and "Land and Sea". Finally the protagonist reaches their enlightenment as they can truly see and appreciate what is outside of the cave ("Enlightenment") and then the preachy feelings of the titles track represent the protagonist going back in to the cave to tell everyone about what is outside.
Born Again Christian
One of the most popular theories is that the album documents Billie Beckett's journey to finding god and accepting Jesus. The rebirth presented at the beginning of the album is Beckett's baptism. From there the rest of the album is simply a memory in Beckett's head explaining why he chose to be baptized and become a christian. Beckett has been very secretive about his own personal religious beliefs since the lyrics to "When I Talk to God" were leaked, but this theory seems as plausible as any.

Reincarnation
Another theory is that Beckett is telling the story of reincarnation such as that in the Hindu religion. The protagonist had lived poorly in their previous life. Many speculate that the previous life was that documented in the band's previous album "Darkness". Thus they had earned bad karma and been reincarnated at a lower level. Then "Rome" documents how they have changed their ways in their next life in order to gain good karma and next time be reincarnated at a higher level.

In the end interpretation is up to the audience, so without further ado Reported Failure with Studio 60 Records presents the masterpiece: Rome.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Overview
Writer: Billie Beckett
Producer: Vin Peters and Avil Hartman
Length: 5:16
Little had been heard from Reported Failure since Carnival of Sounds ended and they won a Fans Choice Award for best album earlier in 2012. The release of "Days Spent in the Dark" as a single came very much out of the blue. The song had been performed at TA7 by Reported Failure but no one expected a new single so soon. It represented that Reported Failure frontman Billie Beckett had been in the dark but that was over now. It marked a turning point for the band in October as they transitioned to the next era in their career. This made it the obvious choice to begin the album with. The moody song was written by Beckett and produced by Vin Peters as well as Avil Hartman.

Crafting "Days Spent In The Dark"
Writing

"I spent a few weeks on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula last Spring" says frontman Billie Beckett. Through the course of the album he reveals that the enviroment in which a song is written influences its ultimate mood heavily. In the case of "Days Spent in the Dark" Beckett says how he wanted to create something that would make a note that the times and struggles that had led to Reported Failure's award winning fifth album, "Darkness", were over. "I was consciously thinking about how this would be interpreted when we released it. I didn't want to stray too far from the sound of the singles from the last album but I also wanted to say clearly that that era was over." The result of Beckett's plans is a song that sounds like it could have some from that album but lyrically says point blank that it is over.

The first thing Beckett did after writing it was get some instruments into the mix. He worked with Vin to establish a basic dynamic of the song and the band began playing it during Carnival of Sounds but they knew it was far from ready. While they were too busy to take the sound further beckett went to work on the lyrics. The original lyrics were mostly the same except for the chorus. "Writing choruses is one of those things that no one can explain. When you've got it you've got it. Until then you know that you still have to figure it out." At that point he wanted the song to be the opener to the album but knew it wasn't ready to be.

"I spent a couple of nights working. I came up finally with a new melody and new lyrics. They were creepy and big and full of imagery and I loved them." Beckett thought it was ready. With new lyrics and the "Sieze the day" optimism Vin Peters finally agreed that it could not only be a good song but also be an album opener. "I really liked the lyrics and how they were putting the old days behind us yet still recognizing them and I knew I could have fun finding an arrangement for the chorus." says Peters. The Carnival of Sounds Tour was over: it was time to enter the studio.

Recording
In August 2012 Reported Failure entered the studio for three days between tour dates. They had recorded a few demos at Matt Collins's house in Santa Cruz, but now it was time to get serious. They went back to Ocean Way Recordings in LA where they recorded their fourth album "Post-Grunge Catastrophe". They were also joined by Avil Hartman to produce the song which would become "Days Spent In The Dark". "In the beginning" says Vin Peters "We just had these lyrics and a really eerie atmosphere... It was great but we wanted to give the song more depth and something a bit different so we called up Avil who we'd worked with before to see what sort of spin he could put on it."

The band recorded for only two and a half days. Then it was done. On the first day most of the focus went on drums. Robert Edwards and Hartman worked for hours to find the right tone for the song. They ended up bringing in different drums and working with different patterns until the beat was powerful enough to be memorable and aggressive like drums of war, but could still be soft enough to keep the flow of the song. Bass was next. Matt Collins layed down the songs's original bassline. It worked but everyone agreed it could use more power. A couple of distortion pedals later and the bass was done!

Then it was time to set more of the atmosphere. Friend of the band Hugh Keeley was there and he supplied a track on keyboard with tone that was almost like a bagpipe but a little bit softer. Once that was done it was guitar time. "For the most part our guitars are subtle in this song" says Peters. He is right. There are no guitar solos and no iconic riffs. KC James recorded a quiet, but very sweet sounding rhythm. It was simple and on the second day of recording gave the band little trouble. Vin also recorded his lead guitar easily. He supplied short licks here and there but overall subtly harmonized with the keyboard and helped create the atmosphere of the song. After day two the song was ready to have vocals added and be finished.

"The great thing about having been a band for awhile and made five albums" says Billie Beckett "Is that recording a great song can be done with little to no stress because we all usually know what eachother are going to want before we start. We're in tune with eachothers ideas. Also being very experienced musicians that within just a few tries can nail the song also helps". Billie wasn't joking around when he said they could nail the songs within just a few takes. Billie only had to sing the song once for it to work. "The best part of working with Billie Beckett everyday is hearing him sing a slow song where he switches from whispery to full vocals. Because he will nail it everytime." says Matt Collins. As Billie went to the microphone in the studio the rest of the band was listening and five minutes later they knew that they had something special. They knew that this was their next single and were fairly sure it would do well.

Finished Product

[Intro]
In distress the opening notes of the song play somberly with tone similar to bagpipes at a funeral. Just a few notes but they pierce the heart of the listener hooking them in to see what happens next. Like an army of soldiers drums begin banging. The bass and guitar join in as their weapons and spirits all playing in harmony. Billie Beckett joins in singing in quiet, weeping tone the song of their battle but not of their triumph: the song of their loss
[Verse 1]
Vin Peters's guitar tone acts as the rockets and planes flying high above in a cloudy sky. The bass is heard and heavy like the burden the soldiers carry but the rhythm guitar is warm and with the drum is able to keep them going. Billie keeps singing growing more and more passionate, growing more and more angry with the complacentness of the soldiers.
[Chorus]
Now into battle. The fuzz of the guitar strays the song like bullets while Billie's tone gets more challenging as the terror of battle takes over him meanwhile the drums bass and guitar keep pushing the battle everforward to its death.
[Verse 2]
The second verse briefly offers escape from the battle. It gets quiet as Billie sings sadly as if examining his dead brothers beside him. The bagpipe tone continues but soon the battle starts again. All the instruments work to bring it back while Billie also gets louder as if trying to fight it.
[chorus]
The battle has started once more. It is loud as guitar tone of bombs falls, the fuzz of charging troops, Billie singing as their screams, the drums as their footsteps. The bass pushing them along still and acting as the bombs hitting the ground.
[Outro]
The chaos of battle continues from the chorus. Billie sings more passionately but slowly gets more distant. It is an epiphany that something has got to change: that the war cant go on. and as it happens all the noise fades out as if the battle is going somewhere else finally.

[Intro]
Drink with the moon
And go around the outside
Til adrenaline kicks in
So swing from the dark trees
So go drown in the forest

[Verse 1]
Sing like you could back before
Before you screamed yourself hoarse
And days blurred to lifetimes
Were on our deathbed
So the clouds become therapy
and were addicted to the sadness
We can speak again
Were here to speak again

[Chorus]
So we took these words and locked them in a temple
So we trapped our souls from freedom from anger
It was cold and silent
It was another day spent in the dark
we took our hearts and made them less painful
We took our scars covered them with makeup
But we weren't free; we were trapped by a facade
By our days spent in the dark

[Verse 2]
Take me to an ambulance my life doesnt work
Find me a coffin and a place to be born
I need a love and a life to restore
I wish I could fly like a bird overhead
And be innocent like a child who can say anything
So I would speak and then fly away
I want to speak again
I want to seize the day
I shall speak again
Seize the day

[Chorus]
So we took these words and locked them in a temple
So we trapped our souls from freedom from anger
It was cold and silent
It was another day spent in the dark
we took our hearts and made them less painful
We took our scars covered them with makeup
But we weren't free; we were trapped by a facade
By our days spent in the dark

[Outro]
I take it all take it all back
Give me home or give me heart attack
Speak speak let me speak once more
Tell me theres no more hell in store
And cry cry cry my eyes out
I want to speak I have no doubt
Life life unlock my life
Or cut my wrists end it with a knife

Sounds Like

OOC:
AS you can see; this is my masterpiece. Its the greatest piece of RP I've ever done so please take the time to read it and give me your feedback or praise whether in character or out of character (I appreciate both). A couple of thing you should note:

• The song descriptions aren't literal. I wanted to describe more the emotions or images that the songs could create rather than actually how the songs sound. This first one is described as a battle. To get the best understanding of how the song would actually sound listen to the sounds like (thats why its there) but still read the rest because its still important and (I think) well done.

• I've done something that no one here has ever done and actually recorded two of these songs. They are Enlightenment" and "Journey's End" and they're only piano which I actually play rather poorly but I thought it would be interesting to add the actual original melody of a song. So once I get to those songs they will have no description. Please let me know how that works and if I should try it again.

• This is really about the lyrics and writing. So if you are like me and have a short attention span for reading then read the lyrics and writing section and listen to the sounds like to get the general idea for the song and later go back and read the rest if you can.

Thats all I have to say. Enjoy and as always REPLY. I WANT YOUR FEEDBACK. I've been working on this for a LONG time.

Thanks. And lots of love. Sincerely, Keaton (AKA Osprey)

Edited by user 08 June 2013 06:20:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

• UserPostedImage
    I might give Satan a swirly
    thanks 9 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
    snap_itshannah on 26/05/2013(UTC), niggajones on 26/05/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 27/05/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 27/05/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 30/05/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 30/05/2013(UTC), kandii on 05/06/2013(UTC), GirlSpice on 07/06/2013(UTC), Matticus on 11/06/2013(UTC)
    Offline niggajones  
    #2 Posted : 26 May 2013 15:07:57(UTC)
    niggajones

Man
    Canada

Was thanked: 739 time(s) in 493 post(s)
    OOC: well, now you've gone and made every RP I've ever written look like total shit. amazing work, man, can't wait for the rest of it :)
    UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
    thanks 1 user thanked niggajones for this useful post.
    Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 26/05/2013(UTC)
    #3 Posted : 27 May 2013 02:18:24(UTC)

OOC: Thank you very much. Haha, I didn't intend to do that but alright. Glad you enjoyed it and keep on reading.
    UserPostedImage
    Offline RoseJapanFan  
    #4 Posted : 27 May 2013 03:00:48(UTC)
    RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
    Woman
    United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
    OOC: This is an incredible rp :) It's really neat and easy to read. I think I've been sleeping on your quality rp skills for too long.
    UserPostedImage
    Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
    UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
    Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
    Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 27/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline ThomasF414  
    #5 Posted : 27 May 2013 03:03:14(UTC)
    ThomasF414

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
    Thomas this album is on my must buy list for sure it's aewsome

ooc- great job pal
    thanks 1 user thanked ThomasF414 for this useful post.
    #6 Posted : 27 May 2013 03:51:43(UTC)

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
    OOC: This is an incredible rp :) It's really neat and easy to read. I think I've been sleeping on your quality rp skills for too long.

OOC: Thank you. I did write it to be that way. And to be fair its been a long time since I've done an RP with this kind of depth, so "sleeping" as you put it is probably justified.

Quote:
    Thomas this album is on my must buy list for sure it's awesome

ooc- great job pal

Matt: Awesome is just what we do. Glad you're looking forward to it.

OOC: Thank you very much. Keep reading. Next tracks go up tomorrow.
    UserPostedImage
    Offline ThomasF414  
    #7 Posted : 27 May 2013 03:59:18(UTC)
    ThomasF414

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Matt: Awesome is just what we do. Glad you're looking forward to it.

OOC: Thank you very much. Keep reading. Next tracks go up tomorrow.

ThomasI shall look forward to it you guys should check out my site
    Offline genocidal king  
    #8 Posted : 27 May 2013 04:02:38(UTC)
    genocidal king

Man
    United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
    OOC: Maaaaate, fucking hell. I only just saw this now. Jesus Christ. This is definitely a contender for the best RP I've seen in my 8 years on this site. Seriously, you've thought of everything here and it's so well written and laid out. Really epic, seriously.

Zac Hale (Escape Artists Never Die): If you're a young band from Cali, it's all about growing up looking up to Reported Failure. They're a band that has been an influence to us throughout our formative years. We hope to some day achieve what you guys have. If we even got half as epic, we would consider it an honor. Who knew you could get better? Well you just did.
    UserPostedImage
    thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
    #9 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:12:17(UTC)

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
    OOC: Maaaaate, fucking hell. I only just saw this now. Jesus Christ. This is definitely a contender for the best RP I've seen in my 8 years on this site. Seriously, you've thought of everything here and it's so well written and laid out. Really epic, seriously.

Zac Hale (Escape Artists Never Die): If you're a young band from Cali, it's all about growing up looking up to Reported Failure. They're a band that has been an influence to us throughout our formative years. We hope to some day achieve what you guys have. If we even got half as epic, we would consider it an honor. Who knew you could get better? Well you just did.

OOC: I did intend it to be good. Not sure if its that good but I'll trust you on it. Thats a pretty huf compliment considering all the great RPs that have come and gone. Thank you very much, man.

Billie: Cali pride, right! I'm glad to have been an inspiration and I'm sure you'll be able to live up to whatever it is you are striving for. All we ever do is try and it seems to work out. Thanks.
    UserPostedImage
    #10 Posted : 28 May 2013 04:23:40(UTC)

UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage

Overview
    Writer: Billie Beckett and Matt Collins
    Length: 3:34
    Track: 2
    Released on November 11, 2012 as a single, "Lunar Utero" was one of the first songs from "Rome" that anyone got to hear. It was initially clear that rebirth was a major theme for the sixth Reported Failure album. It debuted at #1 on the airplay chart and was appriciated by fans and critics alike. The song is very moody much like the first song "Days Spent in the Dark". The difference is while that song was very much a clouded sky, "Lunar Utero" is more of a night sky. Full of imagery in its lyrics and a matching atmosphere "Lunar Utero" is a highlight of the album and especially the Change & Rebirth portion of it. Billie Beckett wrote the lyrics initially but Matt Collins also put his own flair on the song. Vin Peters produced it as well as Avil Hartman who is a co-producer with Peters on all of the change and Rebirth section of the album.
    Crafting "Lunar Utero"
    Writing
    Billie Beckett has said that every song is distinct. Every song has its own place. The place of "Lunar Utero" is to allow for the rest of the album to occur. "I wrote this song on tour. It was at night and we were on the Carnival of Sounds Tour. everyone was asleep but me and our bus driver. It was silent. I sat down with some coffee and just wrote." Beckett could have no idea then what the song would turn into. At that point it was just a song. "It was a full moon that night and I looked out the widnow. It was a spiritual experience. The day had been hard but either the silence, the moon, the writing itself, or the coffee caused this feeling of rejuvination. So the song became about rebirth as I wrote it."

As with many Reported Failure songs it changed and grew over time. It was during the three month period where the song was edited and changed periodically that it took shape. "It was with this song that we decided we wanted to make an album about rebirth" says Beckett. So it was off to work. Taking inspiration from his past especially images of the beauty yet terror of actual birth and the female form Beckett wrote the rest of the lyrics while keeping in mind the full moon atmosphere that he had originally had to write the song by.

In August 2012 Billie Beckett and Matt Collins spent a day perfecting the song. It became about a desperate plea for a second chance. The lyrics are almost uncomfortable but Beckett didnt mind this. "I could write thousands of songs that have lyrics that wont weird anyone out but the beauty of this song and of so much of our music is how it is uncomfortable to listen to because life and hardship are uncomfortable. I wanted to capture it in our music. I dont care if my songs go too far that the lyrics are hard to listen to as long as the song is good." After this day the lyrics seemed as good as they could get but the greater result of the song was the ones that followed also to do with rebirth. But with this song done it was time to hit the studio in September.

Recording
    "On this new record we really wanted to write songs that we could just play anywhere that had drums bass and guitar. We wanted the songs to be simple and not have too much going on as far as the instruments involved. This song is a direct result of that." says Matt Collins, Reported failure bassist or "bassmaster" as Reported Failure fans know him. he's right. To call any reported Failure song simple might falsely imply that it is shallow, but Lunar Utero just has guitars bass drums and vocals. After an album in which more than half of the songs featured an orchestra it is in a way a back to basics song for Reported Failure.

The band worked with a number of approaches for the song starting with an acoustic format that vocalist and lyricist Billie Beckett demoed over summer at Matt Collins's house in Santa Cruz. From there the song didn't do much. The bands fifth album Darkness hadn't been out for long and they didn't want to release anything new for awhile. In late September the band got together and made plans for album six and the No Venues Tour. Lunar Utero was one of the first songs to come up and they went into the studio for five days to record it.

Vin started by working with guitar tone and playing with harmonics. "Billie had made an acoustic version and it was good but it was kind of sleepy and the first thing we established was that we had to make it loud. If it wasn't loud then what was the point?" says Vin Peters. Him and Matt Collins spent a day working on guitar and bass arrangements. They eventually found the right tone with very powerful bass, distorted and condensed rhythm, and clean reverb loaded lead guitar.

The next day was spent on drums. At this point the band was just jamming. they hadn't recorded anything yet. They tried very heavy drums that were common on the last album but soon realized a more layed back but dynamic sound with lots of work on toms and subtle use of the ride cymbal would work best for the song. Finally with Billie's approval the tempo was increased turning what had been a sleepy ballad into a much more listenable song.

Now on the third day it was time to really record. Robert Edwards and Matt recorded their parts. Then guitars were added. The fourth day of recording went quickly and by the end of it a rough vocal track had been done. "I like to record in the mornings" says Billie Beckett. "There's something about just waking up and singing. I think that's when I'm at my best." This is just what was done. The very next morning Billie took three takes of vocals and the song was just about done. Vin smoothed out the guitars and then he and co-producer Avil Hartman went to work for the rest of the day maxing the whole song.

Finished Product
    With harmonics soaring like shooting stars from Vin's guitar the song opens as the fuzz-filled thunder bass joins in mirrored by muted guitar chords. Robert Edwards brings the war drums pounding and sizzling on the hi-hat in perfect time with the bass. A downpour of short notes on guitar join in while whispering as if telling a dirty secret Billie starts singing. Then harmonizing like two airplanes soaring through the atmosphere he and Matt Collins begin singing louder as the song reaches the second stanza. Then like ghosts everything stops but Vin's echoy guitar playing and Billie's whispering as the band plays the prechorus. As if slowly preparing to lift off a NASA rocket Robert Edwards begins building up the drums again. Then the rocket goes with fuzz noise all around from KC James's guitar and Vin's leads piercing the sky. The guitar dominates as the engine but Billie still passionately sings through the extremely catchy chorus. Immediately the song goes back to the thundering bass, battling drums, raining guitars, and whispering vocals of the verse. Another whispering prechorus comes and then the song explodes into the second chorus. The engine keeps going full throttle as the rocket leaves earth behind and meaningless whispers come creepily through the background. Then the song breaks for one last prechorus this time with just Billie singing as chords are playing before powering up one last time for the chorus.

[Verse 1]
    Breakdown the solemn walls I hold
    Release the anguished world I sold
    Step out of the rancid door inside
    Take time to flaunt and change the tide
    So I watch earth build epic monuments
    With envy I wash it away at their expense
    Pulled out with love I'll make my home
    But im old cold and alone

[Verse 2]
    I'll fall asleep in my bed
    Wake up a new brand new man instead
    I'll try this til I quit
    til blood leaves my brain
    You know I'd try a thousand times
    So just keep me warm inside
    Mother could you take me back
    Hold my head to your breast til I'm not upset

[Prechorus 1]
    So hold me. I'm a broken lock and you're the broken key
    But fix me. Because I'm without alarm
    Break the door. Salvage me. I'll be your charm

[Chorus]
    I left this world behind but now I just want to stay
    So fix me up and make me another way
    I didn't want to leave but I want to feel good
    So salvage me and glue me like you should

[Verse 3]
    Take this beaten heart
    And make it more like the moon
    So I can control my own life
    So I can see my own sky
    Make it bright and round
    Let me build on my own ground
    And control my seas
    Let it be the light guiding me

[Verse 4]
    I'll easily crawl back inside
    if you try what I have in mind
    Take me back to warm tunnels
    Change my father before I'm old
    Mother please if you could
    Make my body how you should

[Prechorus]
    So hold me. I'm a broken lock and you're the broken key
    But fix me. Because I'm without alarm
    Break the door. Salvage me. I'll be your charm

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
    I'm sorry if I've been a burden to you love
    I've no excuse I know I've made enough... but

[Chorus]

Sounds Like

UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage

Overview
    Length: 3:14
    Track: 3
    The third track on Reported Failure's sixth studio album "Rome" was the first to be leaked to the public. All the way back in August 2012 Reported Failure released a demo of the song shortly after recording it. It is another song at least somewhat relating to rebirth. This song is more about rebirth in a symbolic sense as waking up from some great sleep. The loud song full of yelling is full of grand lyrics and a dark arrangement. The lyrics were written by Billie Beckett and the song was produced by Avil Hartman and Vin Peters. Recording was done at Ocean Way Recordings in August over a period of about a week.
    Crafting "The Day After Forever"
    Writing
    "I was thinking about immortality a lot" says Billie Beckett on writing the third song on Reported Failure's sixth album. At its core "The Day After Forever" takes the idea of not being over someone to the extreme. "I just thought what if you could live forever but weren't really living? Like you were breathing but events had just sucked the life out of you pushing you into depression and sorrow to the point where you were alive but you couldn't love. You couldn't feel." This is the mood that Beckett wanted to capture writing this song.

The song started with something that is immortal to Americans today: The National Mall. "I went to DC over summer just for a few days when we had Carnival of Sounds and just the atmosphere with all the monuments got me writing. All the lyrics were very dramatic and weathered. I liked this feel and the song eventually became a reflection on my past. The idea of waking up and being reborn even if you are going to live forever really drove this song. People are reborn, countries are reborn."

The song also features lots about the afterlife, but it all fits into Billie Beckett's idea of the song: "I didn't used to believe in an afterlife but I do now. I dont have a particular religion I belong to but I've believed in god and an afterlife for over a year and it drove a lot of my songwriting. Fitting with the rebirth theme I began to realize that death itself is rebirth. So this song really encompasses everything that this section of the album and much of the rest of the album is about."

The whole song came together within one long day. As Billie Beckett has written hundreds of songs in his career he will say that there are some songs that never seem to be just right but some are just right from the beginning. "I didn't spend more than a day and a half writing the lyrics and melody to this song. It just all worked. It all fell into place just as I wrote it. It was kind of a magical day and a half of writing. It was smooth and easy." With the song fully written Reported Failure would hit the studio in a couple of months to record.

Recording
    Day one of recording "The Day After Forever" was drums. "So much effort went into the atmosphere of this song and Robert Edwards's drumming just drove the atmosphere to be how it its." says producer and guitarist Vin Peters. Robert and Vin worked for most of the morning with Avil Hartman on the drums for the song. Making a beat and then jamming with it until they were finally happy. "It was a long day but it's some of my best work with this band" says Edwards. By mid evening after a long day drums were done.

The next day it was time for bass and guitar. The bass was done easily enough as it was mostly in perfect time with the drums. KC James's rhythm guitar also was recorded with ease. The song was initially sustained more with the guitar but KC and Vin soon agreed to have the rhythm guitar be muted in the beginning. Some lead was done but the atmosphere wasn't set quite right. Guitar went into the next day of recording when Vin brought in all his petals and the singing leads helped create the atmosphere more.

"This song has so many guitar tracks just layered ontop of eachother to create the sound." says Vin. On the fourth day of recording after all the fuzz had been done Vin added a guitar track that sounded almost like it was a horn and after this the song truly seemed done. "We all were just really content with how the song was going." says bassist Matt Collins. At that point they all took the rest of the day off to do vocals the next morning.

On the last day of recording Billie Beckett spent about an hour working vocals. Early on the band had decided that the song would consist of mostly yelling and less conventional singing. In the early morning Beckett worked with Vin and Avil Hartman while the rest of the band was still sleeping. By the time they woke up Beckett had finished. The song was mixed for a few days afterwards and released as a demo in August.

Finished Product
    [Verse 1]
    The pound and crash of snare drum and cymbal, the soft "click" of a muted guitar, and the deep groan of a bass open the song all at once. The drums attack the song as a simple root note melody is played on bass and guitar repeatedly as if it is some crucial piece of information that must be memorized through repitition. Billie yells. He yells angrily demanding to get his point across. Robert's beat is hard-hitting yet casual as it sets the mood and together with Billie's vocals hooks the listener in.
    [Chorus 1]
    Robert's heartbeat for the song transitions smoothly into the chorus. Matt's bassplaying is smooth and effortless as he rolls from one note to the next playing fast. A guitar slides full of reverb from one sad note to the next. Billie sings in the same manner: part yelling, but sensitively touching the song and declaring his goals. The fuzz then attacks the song. KC brings the overdosed treble. The drumming picks up from a walk to a run. Billie screams nonsense. This is when Vin soars above the song with screeching leads like a flock of birds diving, curving, and soaring consistently overhead.
    [Verse 2]
    Now the heartbeat of the song seems to go wrong. Terrifyingly wrong. Robert is fast and haphazard. The fuzz remains at first attacking the song but then festering like a wound. Billie is a bit louder yelling still: pleading and screaming. Matt builds the bones, the skeletal structure of the song with his bass. As Billie screams things pick up more. Matt's bass rings like thunder as the fuzz wound gushes more blood into the song and Vin randomly plays a variation of apreggio chords.
    [Chorus 2/Chorus 3]
    The fuzz continues to advance like a virus. Although the vocal melody remains the same from the first chorus the instruments become frantic. The rhythm guitar dominates the chorus while Matt rains down a thunderstorm of bass. Vin's flock of birds has now dispersed. His guitar playing is erratic with a note here, a note there. No melody is in sight. Billie still screams maddeningly, angrily at this point yelling at himself for messing up, blaming himself for his life going wrong.
    [Chorus 4]
    Finally things slow down. The drumming industrializes with metallic clangs ontop of Roberts softer beat. The fuzz is reduced to periodic "dun dun duns" as Vin overlays it with guitar sliding on the lower part of the neck. Robert's addicting beat still rings. Then the fuzz and bass come back but somehow more harmoniously as if they've reached an agreement that "Yes. Billie can learn to live again" and are helping him do this. It is then that Billie comes back. He still screams but seems triumphant this time. He screams for confidence not fear. He yells the last chorus. Then the instruments play out but finally beats fade to echos. Fuzz fades to whispers. The song ends.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>[Verse 1]
    The day I learn to live again
    The day I wake up
    The day my love lives more than once
    It's the day I'm gold enough
    On the day after forever
    I'll never call it done

[Chorus 1]
    And if I'm still alone
    On the day when god brings me home
    Yeah if I'm still alone
    When the afterlife takes hold
    Oh if i'm still alone
    At least I wont be cold

[Verse 2]
    The day I learn to speak again
    The day I unload my gun
    The day my life is mine
    Is the day I bring my fist up high
    If it's the day after forever
    I'll never say goodbye

[Chorus 2]
    And if I'm still alone
    On the day god brings me home
    Yeah if I'm still stuck
    The day I run out of luck
    The day I'm told to say goodbye
    Is the day I fight or die

[Chorus 3]
    No I will not give in
    I will live forever
    If thats how long it takes to live again
    No I will not give in
    And on the day after forever
    its time to learn to live again

[Chorus 4]
    I will not be dead
    On the day I learn to live again
    Time is not my friend
    I'll learn to speak again
    On the day after forever
    I'll wake up to the world again
    </span>

Sounds Like

Edited by user 28 May 2013 04:30:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
    thanks 4 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
    RoseJapanFan on 29/05/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 30/05/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 01/06/2013(UTC), kandii on 08/06/2013(UTC)
    Offline AmyJayneXoX  
    #11 Posted : 28 May 2013 04:27:49(UTC)
    AmyJayneXoX

Woman
    United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
    Amy-Jayne- great album I can't wait to buy it even of its not my normal choice of genre well done

ooc - great work its a very detailed and interesting to read

Edited by user 28 May 2013 04:28:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
    thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
    Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 28/05/2013(UTC)
    #12 Posted : 28 May 2013 04:41:58(UTC)

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
    Amy-Jayne- great album I can't wait to buy it even of its not my normal choice of genre well done

ooc - great work its a very detailed and interesting to read

Matt: Good! Glad you're finally getting into the best that the music industry has to offer. Was that pompous and conceited? Yeah kind of was but it was still true.

OOC: Thanks. I try, I try.

Edited by user 29 May 2013 13:26:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
    #13 Posted : 29 May 2013 13:25:21(UTC)

UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage

Overview
    Length: 3:52
    Track: 4
    The fourth track of "Rome" also marks the beginning of the second section "Give". The song represents a change in mood from dark, mystic songs to more straight-forward pop-rock and pop-punk. Recorded in February of 2013, the song was part of the San Francisco recording session at Studio Trilogy. Lyrically it also shows a change of mood for the plot of the album from the protagonist only singing about rebirth to this song which represents his actual rebirth in a much more optimistic song. The upbeat vibe will appeal to old fans who loved Reported Failure as essentially a pop-punk band, but Beckett's lyrics remain mature and fascinating which stays consistent with the grown up Reported Failure and the type of song that fans of the band's most recent work expect and deserve. Produced by Avil Hartman and Vin Peters as always the song is classic Reported Failure and a great kickoff to the second quarter of "Rome".
    Creating "Awakening"
    Writing
    “Awakening” is a song written to write a song for “Rome” rather than just to write a song. Writing began after Reported Failure had begun planning the album in Autumn 2012. “We knew at that point that we were writing an album about the, no pun intended, awakening that takes place after a period of depression or numbness. At that point every song for Change and Rebirth was done and we started playing with a new set of songs in one of our writing sessions” says Billie Beckett. this writing session took place in Santa Cruz at Vin Peters’s Pacific Noise studio and small venue.

“The song, and that whole writing session, took shape as this kind of dream from Reported Failure in 2009. It has a very nice vibe reminiscent of our second album which is certainly on the more upbeat young side of our band but beyond angsty pop punk.” said guitarist Vin Peters. Most Reported Failure songs start with only lyrics, but “Awakening” began with full melody and an early arrangement intact. The raw uncut catchy sound is a direct result of the quick creation of the song and the throwback to earlier Reported Failure material.

Though the skeleton and basics of the song came together quickly, Billie Beckett extensively edited the lyrics. ‘I literally imagined waking up. Right by my bed at my house I have a small window and if I sleep in the light is kind of blinding every morning. This turned into a major image of the song basically saying that waking up and escaping ignorance isn’t always pleasant. It can be painful. I wanted to say this yet present that it is worth it all the same.”

Recording
    By the time Reported Failure entered the studio again in February 2013 they knew that their next album would have four separate sections and with the lyrics for "Awakening" finalized they knew that the song would kickstart the second section of the album, "Give". The question now went to how the song would express the rejuvenating, bittersweet new beginning expressed in the lyrics. And so the challenge went to Vin Peters and Avil Hartman to design a sound that fit the song. "We thought about a big guitar intro as the representation of waking up, but we realized that, no pun intended, the type of awakening we wanted was much subtler. The guitar sound would be too full of angst and we wanted angst eventually in this section of the album but we wanted to build to it."

Thus Reported Failure brought in a new member of their extended family, Peters's recent husband and classically trained composer/pianist Elton Walsh in to compose an introduction to the song. The resulting up-beat, poppy piano riff defined where the song would go from there. It took only hours for basic bass and drum tracks to be layed down. The next day guitar was added. The song was coming together smoothly but being perfectionists, Reported Failure wasn't quite satisfied.

Because the first day of recording drums and bass had been rushed, in the end Robert Edwards was unhappy with the product. "The song was too layed back for the awakening that it needed. Sure it was fast but it needed to also be hard hitting." says Edwards. Starting somewhat from scratch took time but Billie Beckett agreed: "Robert was right. The awakening expressed in this song is too desperate and almost painfully inspired too leave a single instrument not reaching its full potential for the song. The drums needed to hit harder. We had a lot of songs already for the album that captured a subtler emotion, and the excitement of this song needed to be expressed more in the arrangement not just the lyrics."

With this in mind Reported Failure scrapped most of the song which had been focused on the piano for a song that kept all the piano parts but let most of them blend into the background. The bass and drums drove the new song. Vin spent two days getting the perfect dynamics and tone of guitar making it loud, treble filled, and warm to appeal to Reported Failure's pop-punk roots. After those couple of days Reported Failure could really be proud of the song they'd created thus far.

As always, Billie Beckett wanted to be last. Through their years as a band, Reported Failure had figured out that once everything is done except vocals, the best result comes from taking the rest of the day off and then coming and just doing vocals the next day. It worked in two takes as Billie recorded a loud and full vocal track. Matt Collins added harmonies easily and the song was fully recorded within less than an hour on the last day.

Finished Product
    [Intro]
    Chipper and cheerful, a piano melody flows like a freshly unfrozen creek unrelentingly expanding beyond its frosty binds. The piano expands into a drum beat, fast and pounding, bass thawing the deepest depths of the creek, and guitar as water pushing over rocks and waking the dormant creek rapids.
    [Verse 1]
    After stemming and growing so quickly the river becomes more stable allowing the vocals to form over it. Cooly and strongly Billie Beckett sings in an inspired, indifferent, reflective tone. Using the water to reflect on his tone showing the trial and tribulation of his past. Guitar bounces through the water on beat sometimes lingering longer in a warm fuzz-filled dash of sunlight on the song.
    [Pre-chorus]
    The song breaks a bit after getting louder as if warning the flood that is about to come. Billie sings longingly, waiting for what he wants to happen. The drums beat off and on in anticipation and the rapids of the guitar slice and bellow also awaiting the enclave.
    [Chorus]
    The piano returns in full stride; the drums speed up faster and harder; bass crams its way to the greatest depths; guitar jumps and hurdles in a building of noise; and Billie sings in harmony with Matt as the song expands from before being a newly thawed creek to now, a thriving, gleaming, living river threatening to overtake the whole landscape.
    [Verse 2]
    Now riding and flowing quickly the next verse is another period of constant pace with Billie reflecting once more and the bass and drum driving the current down further to new lands and experiences. The guitar again acts as the water rippling and surging erratically before building up again with the rest of the instruments.
    [Pre-chorus 2]
    As the pre-chorus comes back it is now with the mindset of preparation rather than anticipation. There is a mild tonal shift in Beckett's voice as if gaining hope that what he longs for will infact come true soon.
    [Chorus]
    The river expands once more ina dramatic fashion with all the instruments pushing forward in a pop-punk flood of realization and awakening as Billie Beckett shows off his range. The river expands as if the song floods the entire valley of the listeners passion and emotion in a moment to hook the listener in and get them to sing with Billie at the top of their lungs.
    [Bridge]
    THe bridge is a paused moment of awe as the guitar soars like the birds of spring coming back to the sunlight. The drums break and slow to let this moment be highlighted. Billie speaks more than he sings as if in utter enlightenment and fascination at having reached this moment. The piano sets the backing tone with a new melody as if all the life of spring is coming out of hibernation to live in peace in the river. Slowly things build up again in one final moment of anticipation
    [Chorus]
    The last chorus is loud and unforgiving just like the first few. There are more complex vocal harmonies as if new voices and forms of life have joined Billie in his awakening. The glory of the water is highlighted as all the instruments play at their fullest and loudest. In pure bliss and revelation Billie's vocals soar to new heights before piano and guitar fade out the song.

[Verse 1]
    Lift up my taunting eyelids
    I've been asleep in my own dream
    Hello god I've missed you so
    Dont ever leave me
    So I'll sit up
    Let the sun shine on my cold body
    Walk in the bright gleaming light
    Walk in the light of the life

[Pre-chorus]
    Run with me
    run my whole life with me
    I've been dying to live
    I've been dying to see my own face again
    Sing with me
    Oh sing with me
    I've been dying to live
    let the joy in my hands never pass or end

[Chorus]
    I'm awakening
    I woke up in a dream and its just beginning
    Oh I'm awakening
    Let me see the sky
    never say goodbye
    I wont crawl I'll never die
    I will run and I will fly
    I'm awakening

[Verse 2]
    Look out my tacit window
    its a bright day burning on my face
    I'll laugh and smile at it
    Simple things give me away
    Cant breathe without this air
    I love the way it touches my skin
    I will let it in
    In my lungs breathe and begin

[Pre-chorus 2]
    Breathe with me
    Breathe my whole life with me
    I've been dying to live
    I've been dying to feel my lungs again
    March with me
    Oh journey with me
    I've been dying to live
    Pilgrimage to salvation I've stumbled on my last end

[Chorus]
    I'm awakening
    Oh I'm awakening
    Let me see the sky
    never say goodbye
    I'm awakening

[Bridge]
    So breathe in the light of day
    Let the darkness have its way
    I'm unbroken
    I'm untamed
    This is enlightening
    I'm just starting in this world
    But its the best one
    And I'll never want to go

[Chorus]
    I'm awakening
    Oh I'm awakening
    Let me see the sky
    never say goodbye
    I'm awakening

[Chorus]
    I'm awakening
    Oh I'm awakening
    Let me see the sky
    never say goodbye
    I'm awakening

Sounds Like
    UserPostedImage
    snap_itshannah on 29/05/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 30/05/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/05/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 01/06/2013(UTC)
    Offline RoseJapanFan  
    #14 Posted : 29 May 2013 23:09:42(UTC)
    RoseJapanFan

Woman
    United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
    OOC: So far so good, descriptive and detailed :) and love the lyrics.
    UserPostedImage
    Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
    UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
    Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
    Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 30/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline Princess_Valentine  
    #15 Posted : 30 May 2013 02:44:39(UTC)
    Princess_Valentine

Woman
    United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
    Kourtney: I MUST have this album! No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Ooc: Wow! This is pure genius. I can't wait to see more. :D
    DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
    Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 30/05/2013(UTC)
    #16 Posted : 30 May 2013 10:28:42(UTC)

OOC: Really glad you like the lyrics! THey're more or less my specialty. Though for this I made sure everything was up to par. Seems like I've succeeded so far. Thank you very much for the compliments and please keep reading. More tracks up soon. Maybe tomorrow.
    UserPostedImage
    thanks 2 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
    RoseJapanFan on 30/05/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 30/05/2013(UTC)
    #17 Posted : 31 May 2013 11:30:52(UTC)

UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage

Overview
    Length: 4:55
    Track: 5
    The fifth track on "Rome", "Goodbye Innocence" is the song that picks up the second quarter of the album from the introduction ("Awakening") into the heart of the section of the album. With the fifth song on the album, Billie Beckett was able to make something very philosophical and relatable all in a song that is catchy and consistent with the rest of the album. It is fairly fast and tonally bleak and longing yet strangely reflective. It was recorded in march 2013 at Studio Trilogy in San Francisco with Beckett supplying the lyrics as always and Vin Peters working on production with Avil Hartman. It is a slight departure from the pop sense of the previous track but still keeps with the natural evolution of the album and the tone of it. It is more of a rock track consistent with what has been formed as the new sound of Reported Failure.

Creating "Goodbye Innocence"
    Writing
    As the concept of "Rome" developed it was clear that the songs would all have a clear philosophical feel. Billie Beckett had to dig into his own soul in order to develop his own feelings and theories and rules by which to live in order to express what he wanted into an album. The result was a series of weeks of reflection and thoughts about life. "Its kind of funny that part of my job consisted of weeks alone at my house in isolation. I got to sit around with nothing but the ocean outside my door, the sky above me, and the small amount of items in my house. I thought a lot and the results included ideas that drove songs on this record including this one. "

The idea that drove "Goodbye Innocence" was the idea that rebirth and new realization could not exist without an abandonment of the idea that one is in fact purely a good and moral human. "When we come to a realization about our life it isn't always what we want. We can find an answer and though it is better than searching for an answer sometimes the answer is worse than ignorance." says Beckett. "I quickly realized that there had to be song about that on the album. At that point all I had to do was start writing the song."

Writing a song, however, isn't always simple. After nearly seven years as a band, Billie Beckett and all of Reported Failure have a constant drive to push their songwriting to a new place that it has not been before. Over five full length studio albums and two EPs as well as all the b-sides that never saw the light of day, Billie Beckett had to struggle to make a song that was truly new. A metaphor about a house quickly took shape fitting with the coming of age theme of "Give". Quickly making a song that was creepy, and often hard to listen to, Billie Beckett created something new for the band.

Recording
    In recording "Goodbye, Innocence" Reported Failure and producer Avil Hartman were faced with the task of taking a very bleak song lyrically and speeding it up to make something at least mildly bright to fit with the musical themes of the "Give" section of the album. This started with playing with the tempo. Lots of thought went into it and eventually everyone settled on a simple mid-tempo beat to keep the integrity of the song whilst not compromising the overall style of the specific section of the album.

Thus recording could be done. Starting with bass and drums the song started to take shape. Immediately it was clear that the song had to be heavier than the previous song. The drums were harder and the bass was fuzzier. It was an evolution from the previous track. Knowing that this evolution towards a heavier sound would be broken soon, the band decided to go in a softer direction with the guitar work. Settling on a delayed sound that was very bell-like and chimey for the leads, and just a simple overdriven sound for the rhythm, Reported Failure was able to get the drums bass and guitar quickly recorded.

After quick, basic mixing it was time to add vocals and complete the song. From the beginning Billie Beckett and Avil Hartman agreed that vocal layering and harmonies were necessary. They both wanted to keep Beckett's vocals very clear and clean but the chorus required a level of darker, semi-screaming vocals. Matt Collins added these as well as harmonies elsewhere in the song over a rough draft of Beckett's vocal performance. Taking a classic Billie Beckett move he decided to take the rest of the day off and complete the song the next morning. It worked. The next morning after one take the vocals were done and it was on to the master mixing before the song was complete.

Finished Product
    [Intro]
    Hard, fuzz-filled, and unrelenting the bass, guitar, and drums all fire away like a car speeding down the freeway disregarding all surroundings and always moving forward.
    [Verse 1]
    After ringing and throttling the noise slows down to a chipper guitar tone quick and bright and loaded with reverb like ebbing lights of a city. Smooth but winding and varied, Billie's vocals make the road. Rough and ruckus the drums and bass form the surrounding mountains keeping the sound engaging as Beckett goes through the simple melodies.
    [Pre-chorus]
    As if speeding up, harmonies intensify the song as the drums build to a greater change in the landscape of the song.
    [Chorus]
    Simultaneously the guitar intensifies and a hard vocal pattern emerges from Billie with Matt singing lightly over it as if the car had both reached the top of a hill and then promptly begun accelerating down the hill. All the instruments join in a heavier, more aggressive ascendance.
    [Verse 2]
    Riding off of the power of the chorus the verse continues tonally as a slow down returning to the smooth, gliding feeling of the first verse. Only occasional throttling is present with aggressive bass and glittering guitar.
    [prechorus]
    [chorus]
    [Bridge]
    Slowly the song moves to an ambient phase with guitar tone building like the winds and glittering like lights of a distant city with Beckett half whispering over a tired drum beat.
    [Outro]
    Almost soaring the song moves along with a harder drum beat as if Beckett in his car had an out of body experience leaving himself behind on the ground. Bass and drums pushing him up, and guitar helping him glide he brings the song to smooth serenity before it ends.

[Verse 1]
    There's a room in my house
    It was boarded up and left for dust
    It's nothing I should miss
    There was a window a bed and an old rug
    I remember growing up
    I'd count my luck I was untouchable
    now I cant sing what I dont sing with blood
    The room is shut
    The house is empty now

[Pre-chorus]
    I cant fall asleep tonight
    the hairs on my head are falling out
    I could dream tonight
    That the room could open and I'd sleep inside

[Chorus]
    It's not worth the love
    I scratched into the walls
    If it didn't hurt enough
    I can watch as it falls
    And there's a crack in the window
    I'm breaking with my hands
    I sing with my blood
    I sing with my past
    Goodbye innocence

[Verse 2]
    In this catastrophe
    This darkened sky and darkened heart
    I search for harmony
    It's my god's flesh and my god's blood
    I remember hatred
    It was cold and lonely but just a step
    I cant breath when I'm empty
    My lungs are calls and callous malcontent
    breathe in
    Then breathe out

[Pre-chorus]
    I cant wake up some mornings
    The legs on my body are weak now
    I could crawl away
    But I'll stand in honor of my dying breed

[Chorus]
    It's not worth the love
    I scratched into the walls
    If it didn't hurt enough
    I can watch as it falls
    And there's a crack in the window
    I'm breaking with my hands
    I sing with my blood
    I sing with my past
    Goodbye innocence

[Bridge]
    Yes goodbye innocence
    Hello eternity
    Hello dreaming
    Goodbye to innocence
    Hello my slow death
    Hello mortality
    Hello invention
    I'm glad to meet you
    I'm in a place
    I don't know anything
    I don't know at all

[Outro]
    I was dancing in my dreams
    Just trying to die
    You woke me with your breasts on my cheek
    Holding onto my hand
    You swore we could both live again
    So I held you close in the moonlight
    Sweaty and out of breath
    We left our youth in that bed
    And we swam all day to a baby's crib
    Holding on for dear life
    We said our last goodbyes
    Now I'm singing one more this time
    Goodmorning

Sounds Like

UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage

Overview
    Writer: Stevie Nicks
    Length: 4:22
    Track: 6
    The sixth track on "Rome" is "Landslide" the only cover on the album and the only cover that the band has ever released on the a-side of a studio album. The song was originally recorded by Fleetwood Mac and released on their 1975 self-titled release and tenth album. The decision to cover the song was pushed by Billie Beckett who has referenced the song in interviews as "the single most important and beautiful song to my life and determining how I act in it." The song is mostly Billie Beckett singing and playing guitar and is certainly the simplest song on the album. It was recorded in San Francisco's Studio Trilogy and produced by Vin Peters and Avil Hartman. Although the song is a cover it is placed at a point where lyrically it doesn't break the flow of the album. musically the acoustic break keeps things fresh even though it disrupts the flow of loud guitars that had been going since the first song.

Creating "Landslide"
    Writing
    Billie Beckett didn't write "Landslide" but he wishes he had. "As a songwriter i am eternally jealous of this song. It is perfect in every way. I could listen to this song all day everyday." Though it is clear that Beckett is a fan of the song, his adoration goes beyond just thinking it's a great song: "The message of this song can be applied to a relationship; it can be applied to an addiction; it can be applied to anything." After all of Billie Beckett's pain and drama documented in the band's previous album, "Darkness", the lyrics to "Landslide" explain how Billie Beckett was able to recover: by conquering his fears and by moving forward. Billie Beckett and Reported Failure have grown up and moved on with their lives. The song fits well in the "Give" section of the album because it still fits with growing and figuring out life on a simple day to day level of fighting pain and trials.
    Recording
    At the end of 2012 Reported Failure got together to work on an early draft of the track-listing for "Rome". Billie Beckett brought the prospect of covering Fleetwood Mac up. It was considered but not taken seriously until later. The band began covering the song at every show they played in the early part of 2013 including the Chaos Awards and Aphrodisiac. after covering it often Billie Beckett convinced the rest of the band to put time in to recording the song during the San Francisco recording session in March.

The initial draft of "Landslide" didn't change much. It was recorded in one take. Just Billie Beckett singing and playing a Marshall acoustic guitar. From there the recording didn't change much in style. Vin Peters did take over the guitar work adding subtle variations to the finger picking pattern of the Fleetwood Mac version of the song. A second guitar track was added later in the song again for more depth. No more instruments were added though making the song by far the simplest on the album.

From there it was just time to finalize the vocals. Billie Beckett delivered a very smooth take adding a large note at the end to make the Reported Failure version of the song distinct from other versions. Matt Collins added quiet harmonies to the chorus but that was it. The simple song was the easiest to record and upon hearing the final cut of the song the whole band agreed to put it on the album even though it was a cover.

Finished Product
    The song stays consistent all the way through. First with notes on an acoustic guitar flowing evenly like a gentle burst of snow onto the ground. THe melody seeps into the ground layering itself in a smooth white blanket upon the earth. Billie Beckett's vocals join as a gentle breeze, whispy and soft blending with the atmosphere and causing the listener to sway or turn to embed their face in Beckett's effortless tone. Thus the song continues in this way only varying in melody from verse to verse or chorus. As the song winds down a second guitar is added as if another set of snowflakes have now joined the soft downpour. Beckett's voice varies more as if the wind goes from a gentle breeze to a gust and then back down to a breeze. The song winds down and the weather settles down but the chilling effect upon the listener has already made its mark.

I took my love, I took it down
    Climbed a mountain and I turned around
    And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
    'Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky
    What is love
    Can the child within my heart rise above
    Can I sail through the changing ocean tides
    Can I handle the seasons of my life
    Mmmm mmm mmm

Well, I've been afraid of changing
    'Cause I've built my life around you
    But time makes you bolder
    Even children get older
    And I'm getting older too

Well, I've been afraid of changing
    'Cause I've built my life around you
    But time makes you bolder
    Even children get older
    And I'm getting older too
    Oh I'm getting older too

Ah, take my love, take it down
    Ah, Climb a mountain and turn around
    And If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
    Well the landslide bring it down

And If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
    Well the landslide bring it down
    Oh the landslide bring it down.

Sounds Like

Edited by user 31 May 2013 11:31:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
    snap_itshannah on 31/05/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 31/05/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 01/06/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 07/06/2013(UTC)
    Offline C4AJoh  
    #18 Posted : 01 June 2013 21:01:40(UTC)
    C4AJoh

Man
    United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8551 time(s) in 2683 post(s)
    Amy Meyer: This is shaping up to be one of the most incredible rock albums that there's been in recent years. The ambition and ideas that Reported Failure have when it comes to their music is rivalled by no other act in the industry in my opinion. It's just staggering to see how this band comes up with something completely different each time they put out a new album and they should be praised hugely for that! This record will no doubt go down as one of the great rock records. Amazing!

OOC: The amount of detail that you've put into this album is just insane, seriously great work! :)
    thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
    Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 02/06/2013(UTC)
    #19 Posted : 02 June 2013 08:16:02(UTC)

UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage

Overview
    Length:
    Track: 7
    For track seven of "Rome" the tone shifts immensely as the second section of the album has finished and the second half begins with the third section of the album "Land and Sea" with its opening song "When I Talk To God". The song is longer, slower, and more of a variation from standard Reported Failure and the album thus far. Full of ambient noise, obsolete arrangements, and a unifyingly haunting aesthetic, the song brings the album in to another world. Lyrically the song has gained controversy since its leak earlier this year. It isn't clear whether Beckett is giving worship or committing blasphemy and he hasn't been specific as to which one it is. Recorded at Sundlaugin Studio in Iceland, "When I Talk To God" sets the tone for where the album will go for the second half.

Creating "When I Talk To God"
    Writing
    Finally as "Rome" reaches its second half the true theme of the album is brought into light. Why are we here? What is anyone's or everyone's purpose on this earth? It is a question that Billie Beckett has been investigating for years through his music and now with "Rome" he is seemingly building up to an answer. "Really the third section of this album says, if you are reborn and given another chance at this life, then why? what would anyone be saved to do? If we wanted to die but didnt then there must be a reason? If we even ever were born then there must be a reason right?" says Beckett. Thus "When I Talk To God" came about as the first of many songs dealing with this very problem and question.

The story of the song really begins with Billie Beckett's greatest trials in 2011. "Darkness" is an album documenting Beckett's fall and attempt to end his own life and thus "Rome" must be his struggle to recover. "In the aftermath of that hell I went through nothing really got better immediately. I had to think and wonder and find my way to get it to be better. That's where the thoughts that became this song began." says Beckett. "I wasn't raised with god. I never found him after I was an adult. But in that moment of terror and of utter personal peril I wanted to believe god to be there and to be real if I only could. That's where this song took shape."

As questions built and Billie began writing a coexistent theme arose. "For me god became more an idea than a being. Just the idea that everything would be ok. I think that's the true purpose of what religion seeks to accomplish and beyond that any difference in text and belief seems irrelevant. I wanted to capture that and so I wrote the verses as a way to make the song more about the question of god and searching for that rather than in worship of the god of any specific religion."

Beckett wasn't done there. He wanted to still build a hopeful song. A major theme of the album is hope. Thus the chorus came along as well as the line "I fell to love again." "Upon finding my way out of such a bleak circumstance I realized the true power of my will and my strength with or without divine intervention. I realized I had the power to change my life for the better and that I could make a difference and I could be in love and be content. Thus I realized I had to suffer to be in love. I had to fall to love again. The chorus then came along because I knew I had the power to in some aspect be a savior for myself for the people I love and for my son."

Recording
    With such an intimate and personal subject matter, when Reported Failure went in to record "When I Talk To God" they needed to keep a calm, intimate sound. At Sundlaugin Studio in Iceland the band began work on the song in isolation only with producer Avil Hartman and Vin Peters's spouse Elton Walsh. Immediately Vin Peters went to work on the overall tone, atmosphere, and aesthetic of the song. Different keyboard sounds were tested as well as classic guitar ambience.

Soon after this work started Peters had the idea of adding a subtle choir. They recorded backing vocals throughout the song as Peters's composition skills were set free upon Beckett's song. Reported Failure's isolation was broken as musicians were brought in. Peters had someone record the same melody with water glasses, even getting samples from an orchestra to mix in. Finally it seemed like the rest of the band's time had come to add what they could to the song.

The song for the most part remained untouched after Vin Peters and Avil Hartman had worked on the atmosphere. Matt Collins barely added bass which ended up being mixed more into the background of the song subtly with a more sweet keyboard bass sound mirroring it. There was no room for guitar outside of Vin Peters's random sweet, subtle tone that had already been worked in. Drums were left out completely so as to keep the song calm.

With everything worked in just right Billie Beckett added vocals on the last day for recording of the song. In a high voice he sung the song in just a couple of takes adding in more echos and quiet harmonies later leaving the final mixing work to Avil Hartman before the song would be fully done.

Finished Product
    A single soft tone begins striking like the first gleam of an oncoming sunrise. The pitch varies creating a soothing melody. A cool, crystal sound builds the serene atmosphere. Echoing with sincere divinity a choir is barely made out from the background as Billie Beckett, like the sun itself, makes his first appearance in the song. High pitched and passionate he is haunting as a subtle string arrangement begins as if he has shed light upon other aspects of the song previously dormant. The choir stretches ahead of Beckett in pitch as if casting light on the path the sun would take up into the sky. In such a soothing way the song continues. Very quiet bass joins in later. Guitar noise is added but cooly and smoothly not over-driven or dominating. as the warm sunlight of Beckett's vocals continues it casts light farther as melodies overlay upon melodies and all aspects of human emotion seem to be captured in a somber, yet uplifting and chilling and calm joy of the song.

Muhammad I shall ride with you
    To Mecca I will ride
    I'll spread your words to Africa
    Oh I shall spread God's name

Moses help all my children
    Plague spite the devil's crush
    Save them all from Egypt
    And I'll follow through Holocaust

Oh but when I speak to god
    Its like he listening
    But it's really not interesting
    And when I speak to god
    Its like he knows I'm sinning
    But he has better things to be doing

And God, I'm afraid to love you
    I'm so lost
    I'd make the Ocean rise for you
    As Jesus dies for you
    But God I don't work that way
    So I run away

Jesus you have died for me
    Now reborn I am for thee
    I'll spread your word forevermore
    To the cross I'll sing your name

Oh now when I speak to god
    I know he's rightful
    He's listening but vengeful
    And when I speak to god
    His glory's unchanging
    But his words are aging

And God, I'm afraid to love you
    I'm so lost
    I'd make the Ocean rise for you
    As Jesus dies for you
    But God I don't work that way
    So I run away

So I sing
    So I prey
    I will climb I will float I will stay
    So I sing
    So I prey
    I will swim I will fall I will say

And god, when I love
    It's like its an enigma
    Like it's my own sin
    When I sing to god
    I can reach heaven
    I can burn hell and start again
    When I sing to god
    I'll fall off the earth
    Die in the atmosphere
    I just fell to love again
    Yes I just fell to love again

I'll make the oceans rise for you
    As Jesus dies for you
    I will fall for you
    As angels call for you
    I fell to love again
    I fell to love again

Sounds Like
    UserPostedImage
    thanks 3 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
    GirlSpice on 07/06/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 07/06/2013(UTC), C4AJoh on 10/06/2013(UTC)
    #20 Posted : 03 June 2013 03:02:15(UTC)

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
    Amy Meyer: This is shaping up to be one of the most incredible rock albums that there's been in recent years. The ambition and ideas that Reported Failure have when it comes to their music is rivalled by no other act in the industry in my opinion. It's just staggering to see how this band comes up with something completely different each time they put out a new album and they should be praised hugely for that! This record will no doubt go down as one of the great rock records. Amazing!

OOC: The amount of detail that you've put into this album is just insane, seriously great work! :)

Billie: Thank you so much. I feel like you more than most people in the music world understand what were trying to do with this album and as a band. We've never been a band who thought "oh lets just go make an album" as if it was that simple and I'm glad you understand and appreciate that.

OOC: Thank you. I just put all the detail I thought it needed. Glad its working out.
    UserPostedImage