logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2024 04:16:41(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19148 time(s) in 7605 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Layla, Ellie-Grace Summers
Title: Coping Mechanism
Genre(s): Country Pop
Length: 3:41
Writer(s): L.Sanchez, EG.Summers, C.Hudson
Producer(s): Rose Meadows
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: TBC

Coping Mechanism is a song recorded by American singer-songwriters Layla and Ellie-Grace Summers. It serves as the third single from Sanchez's upcoming, yet-to-be-titled second studio album which is due for release later this year. The song was released on May 1, 2024 through Five Pesky Kids Records. It follows on from her acclaimed chart-topping single "The King is Dead" which was released at the top of 2024. The song was written by Sanchez alongside revered pop songwriter Christopher Hudson, with Ellie-Grace Summers joining the co-writing credits at a later date. Production was handled by Rose Meadows, an in-house producer on the label. "Coping Mechanism" was originally written and conceptualised between Sanchez and Hudson during sessions for the album in the spring of 2023. After working on the track for some time, Layla believed it'd work well as a collaboration with another female artist and reached out to close friend Ellie-Grace Summers, offering her space on the song. Summers wrote her own sections for the track and the song was finalised in the fall of 2023. "Coping Mechanism" marks Sanchez's third high profile collaborative release following the Joshua Grimmie assisted "Forbidden Honey" and the Younghood aided "Some Kind of Magic", the former becoming one of the best-selling singles in Chart Heat history.

"Coping Mechanism" is an upbeat country-pop song, heavily built by guitars and handclaps. Lyrically, the song sees Sanchez and Summers portray satirical caricatures of themselves, embellishing on their "unlucky in love" personas given to them by the media as well as the "bunny boiler" labels thrust upon them from rival online fanbases. Throughout the song, Layla and Ellie-Grace address their current sexual partners and inform them that this is a no strings attached scenario which will be fleeting. They warn them not to develop feelings as they're only looking for something temporary and seasonal. Both Layla and Ellie-Grace have been involved in multiple high profile relationships which have had equally publicised demises over the years. Both performers seem to be drawing on the narrative that they "can't keep a man" and in turn, lean into this characterisation and play "villains" of the piece. Sanchez and Summers are also prolific writers known for their honest and revealing lyrics, causing "Coping Mechanism" to blur the line between real life events and fictitious scenarios.

Layla says:
Quote:
"I've put out many songs in the past that came with a bundle of nerves alongside it. Not always necessarily bad nerves. Anticipation is probably the best way to describe it and "Coping Mechanism"? Well, this one takes the cake in that regard. I know that people are going to take certain parts with this song and run with it but I'm prepared for that. It happens with most things I put out there. It's dissected, it's weaponised, it's turned into a game of "she's speaking about so and so". Ironically, that stuff is the reason this song exists. Not only have I always been honest in my work, but passionate too. I love music, I love the arts, I love connecting with people all around the world, helping people through rough times. I want to give back what artists gave me. So sometimes it can be a little disheartening when something you've poured your heart and soul into is just used as Culture Uncut fodder, Stan Wars, whatever you want to call it. It can be really frustrating and I thought I'd beat people to the punch this time. This song is so unserious and certain factions of the internet already have their minds made up about particular scenarios and who I am as a person, I thought I might throw them a bone and see how they react when all of this blasts in their ear!"

"I originally wrote this song with the insanely talented and gorgeous human being Christopher Hudson. We were initially just goofing off, joking around about crap that had been said about us in the media and he was doing this comical thing on the guitar, putting all the bizarre headlines and comments to song but in a deadly serious, storytelling country way. It was just a joke during downtime in the studio but a lightbulb went off between us and we knew we had something quirky and unique. We knuckled it down and got the song together real quickly. I sat on it for a while and realised that it was an oddly empowering song in its own weird way and that I'd love for another woman to jump on it. Well, there was no debate. I had to reach out to my friend Ellie-Grace. A country song about being misrepresented in the media and combatting misogyny and sexism throughout every step of your career? Who else could lend their voice?"

Ellie-Grace says:
Quote:
"This was by far the most fun I've ever had in the studio and I'm so grateful for Ms. Layla for allowing me to take part in this wacky little number. It was cathartic and so liberating. With my own work, I'm pretty much honest in every detail and recall my stories word for word. It was nice to break out of that and play a character. A character who's very easy to associate with since it's something I've been branded as for many, many years. I usually don't air my grievances out in public. I much prefer to keep my head down and let things blow over. I'm not a confrontational person at all but several comments and headlines over the years have not just bugged me but truly upset me. Hopping on "Coping Mechanism" was a great, chaotic way to vent and just release over a decade's worth of frustration but in a fun way. I could laugh and beat others to the punchline. Wasn't a case of "woe is me" but rather joining one of my best friends and favorite modern day artists in the studio and just liberating ourselves in such a safe space."

"People will take from this song what they will but they always do and at the end of the day, that's the point of this track. And you know what? There's also nothing wrong with a woman being sexually liberated. If she wants passing flings with no long term plans or commitments then that's totally OK. Not crime of the century. God, this is the strangest female empowerment song ever."

Critical reception of "Coping Mechanism" was mainly positive upon release, however the song garnered immediate controversy surrounding lines in Sanchez's opening verse. Singing; "Gone and fucked all the boys around Austin / Damn, Houston, I think we got a problem", many believe that Layla is openly referring to and bragging about her past infidelity which controversially saw her leave her then-boyfriend, pop star Austin Nimmo for Joshua Grimmie. Following line; Just like Eve, I love me something forbidden" added further fuel to the fire, nodding to Sanchez and Grimmie's hit single "Forbidden Honey". It has often been speculated that Sanchez and Grimmie had relations while Layla still continued to date Nimmo. Ed Hawkins of The Daily Telegraph wrote: "Layla has always been an artist unafraid to play the villain in her songs, often holding her hands up to huge mistakes and morally grey trains of thought. "Coping Mechanism", however, sees Sanchez go balls-to-the-wall in her anti-hero costume, making light of her highly publicised breakup with pop heartthrob Austin Nimmo." He further stated that; Her lyricism may not earn her any new fans from the pop boy camp but at this point in her career, she's only going for the gold; worldwide press and UMAs."

Allie Lavelle of PopMatters called the collaboration between Layla and Ellie-Grace a "match made in Heaven". Variety's Cleyton Winans dubbed the song "buoyant, catchier than a cold, and utterly off the wall". Alicia Reissman of NME praised the pairing and opined; "Being celebrity BFFs for the best part of a decade, an Ellie-Grace Summers and Layla crossover makes sense and seems rather obvious on paper. However, the crude lyricism and bonkers hoedown, clap along chorus of "Coping Mechanism" is an unexpected, inspired and mad genius combination, turning what could've been a standard made-for-radio collaboration into one of 2024's most interesting releases yet." Amy Greene of The Hollywood Reporter branded it as "the most fun release of both Layla and Ellie-Grace's respective careers" before rounding her review off with "poor Austin."

"COPING MECHANISM"

Layla
Ellie-Grace
Both

I'm such a sucker for a tall, dark Texan
Gone and fucked all the boys around Austin
Damn, Houston, I think we got a problem
Heart on my sleeve, could never keep it hidden
Just like Eve, I love me something forbidden
Bad decisions wrapped in a beautiful disguise
Won't know what fits 'til I try it on for size
It's a cold world out there, try to sympathise

Yeah, I guess karma's gonna come eat me whole
Sure, the Devil's en route to claim my soul
Crime of the century to line up my next stepping stone
Lock me up for bringing another cowboy home

Sometimes we don't even need a reason
Sometimes it's just that shift in the season
Cut to the good part, skip all the feelings
When it's pure fire and heavy breathing
Don't think too much about the new day calling
Just hold me close until the morning
I'm not picking out my something blue
I just need, I just need something to get me through

Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Something to get me through
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh

Don't wanna be the girl your mother loves
Only hanging around through the winter months
I'm enjoying your time for what it's worth
But I'm yielding a pin, that bubble's getting burst
We knew what it was, I'm not salting the cuts
Don't try pulling at the heartstrings, they're all torn
Chin up, handsome, no happy ending in being lovelorn
Enjoy the roses without bleeding from a thorn

Yeah, I guess karma's gonna come eat me whole
Sure, the Devil's en route to claim my soul
Excuse me for not falling headfirst into the great unknown
How dare I set the rules and keep it all under control

Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh

I might look good as I parade in your tee
Light up the way as I enter your street

Remember, I'm the girl of nobody's dreams
Time to wake you up with a kick and a scream

Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh
Ooh-ah-ooh-ah-ooh

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 02 May 2024 04:47:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 5 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 02/05/2024(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/05/2024(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 02/05/2024(UTC), freestylechamp on 04/05/2024(UTC), PANIC! on 07/05/2024(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2024 22:53:02(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17932 time(s) in 10423 post(s)
Erich: from the first lines,I sort of thought this was going to be about the band the long tall Texans. I was surprised these ladies knew them.

Erica: I am sooooooooooo going to a country bar and getting drunk with the girls and singing this.

Gretchen: YES.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 03/05/2024(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2024 16:40:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8589 time(s) in 2692 post(s)
Ashford: My immediate thought was not another country renaissance track, but putting those feelings on the genre's recent upward trend and stripping this track down to it's elements I can't deny that this is a masterful piece of work from everybody involved. Ellie-Grace brings a lot of authenticity to the track and it's always a pleasure to hear her once more. Of course the team of Ellie, Layla and Christopher Hudson as a song writing collective was never going to result in anything less than perfect in terms of craft. Layla doesn't just hold her own on this, but showcases her ability to be a musical chameleon and not only blend into a genre I didn't see on the cards for her but actually inhabiting it so effortlessly. I think she is truly crafting a career and back catalogue for the ages right in front of our eyes. A true generational talent and long may it continue.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 03/05/2024(UTC)