logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2020 05:51:05(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “bandages and gauze”
Release Date: November 13, 2020
Recorded: October 2020 – Half-Moon Studios, Las Vegas, Nevada
Genres: Adult Contemporary, Alternative Rock, Emo, Pop-Punk, Pop
Length: 62:39
Label: Studio60 Records / Half-Moon Productions
Producers: Amy Meyer, Adam Benjamin

“bandages and gauze” is the sophomore solo album by American singer-songwriter and former ‘Riot! In The Boulevard’ frontwoman ‘Amy Meyer’, written entirely in a two week period in October 2020 it comes as a surprise release from the artist who hadn’t written anything in almost two years. Following the announcement of ‘Riot! In The Boulevard’s’ hiatus, lead singer ‘Amy Meyer’ decided to step away from the spotlight for the first time since debuting in 2011 at the age of eighteen and has worked constantly since then. In an announcement of the hiatus she confirmed that they needed to take some time away to deal with personal issues and return home to their roots which is what Amy did during this two year period. Self-discovery and understanding was the main aim of this downtime for the former frontwoman as she grappled with many personal struggles which made the nucleus of this record. She’s recently stated that she never had the intention of making music anytime soon and that she wasn’t sure if she ever would again, but a recent influx of inspiration came and she was able to write a raw and honest album within a two week period that consisted of the twenty songs that feature on the record.

On November 12, 2020 Amy debuted the lead single and title track from the album “bandages and gauze” with Amy stating that she doesn’t know if there’ll be any more single releases from the record as she believes it should be experienced as a collective and doesn’t feel like the songs hold the same power individually as they do as a whole. She also stated that she doesn’t want to fall into the same routine that she did with the band, “Riot! lent itself to being this juggernaut because it felt much bigger than any one of us, it wasn’t scary to put yourself out there with the band because you knew that it was a collective effort and it wasn’t just you. Now that I’ve had a little time to reflect, I’m not even sure if I ever want to be that famous again. I certainly don’t want to fall back into that sort of schedule and insanity that the band became almost known for. I’d like to tour this record, sure. But it feels like it would have to be on a smaller scale and a much more intimate affair, the songs feel like they require that.”

The album is set to be released on November 13, 2020, it was written and recorded by Amy Meyer and produced by Amy alongside former bandmate Adam Benjamin. It was recorded at Half-Moon Studios in Las Vegas, Nevada and is set to be released through Studio60 Records and Half-Moon Productions in all major streaming platforms and traditional releases including CD and Vinyl.

Tracklisting;

1. “intro: hiding” (1:12)
2. “mirror” (4:23)
3. “holding on” (4:31)
4. “nostalgia trip” (4:07)
5. “brave” (3:42)
6. “unfinished business” (3:04)
7. “interlude: six feet deep” (1:05)
8. “fading” (3:38)
9. “nothing left” (4:41)
10. “playing with fire” (5:48)
11. “isolation” (4:13)
12. “my own sanity” (4:27)
13. “save me from myself” (2:13)
14. “interlude: rejects” (0:52)
15. “someday” (2:24)
16. “bloom” (3:06)
17. “chin up, kid” (3:25)
18. “yesterdays” (3:03)
19. “bandages and gauze” (4:38)
20. “outro: lose it” (0:47)

Credits & Personnel;

CREDITS

Recorded by Amy Meyer
Produced by Amy Meyer and Adam Benjamin
Engineered by Sara Brie-Loren and Adam Benjamin
Mixed by Adam Benjamin
Recorded at Half-Moon Studios, Las Vegas, Nevada

PERSONNEL

Amy Meyer - lead vocals, guitar, bass, piano, keyboards, lyrics, composition, production
Charlie Hawks – drum machine, programming
Adam Benjamin – production, mixing, engineering
Sara Brie-Loren – programming, mastering, engineering
thanks 8 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 14/11/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 14/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 14/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 15/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 15/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 23/11/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2020 05:53:08(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #01
Title: “intro: hiding”
Genre(s): Adult Contemporary, Alternative Rock
Length: 1:12
Writer(s): Amy Meyer

The opening track begins with the sound of muffled noise from a gathering crowd below, almost as if somebody had opened a window to an apartment room high above a busy street. An electric guitar sound provides the backing music for the introductory track of the album but the production has a slightly tinny sound chosen by design as it gives of the feeling of being trapped somewhere and not being able to hear clearly, a metaphor for what’s to come from the confessional style lyrics that lend themselves to the idea of being trapped in your own mind, a theme set to run throughout the entire album.
Giving off a feeling that there’s something interesting going on just out of distance but you’re not quite part of it, instead trapped within yourself and the thoughts that you hold inside your mind. A soft almost exhausted sigh from Amy Meyer after around twenty-three seconds of the track lets you know that there’s some form of life before she starts to sing in a weary tone, “I feel the need to apologize/I feel like I should apologize to everybody that listened to what I had to say/Because I taught the kids that worshipped us/To stand up for what they believe in and not be afraid of who they were/When all along, I was just hiding away/I was always hiding away from my own true self.”

As the song progresses further with Amy delivering the words almost in a spoken tone, slowed down to a conversational style as if she’s addressing her former audience in the form of Riot! in the Boulevard fans, at least the ones that remained following the groups hiatus in 2019 she offers her inner-most thoughts on the life that she lived during the bands peak years and how she hid from her true self, only officially coming out just a few months before the groups final album, the prior year being one of self-discovery from the former frontwoman of Riot! as she dealt with personal issues that had plagued her throughout her life, only coming to the realisation that she was searching for love in all the wrong places, this comes through strongly during the opening track as she delivers these raw personal lyrics in the form of an acknowledgement and apology to her former fans, “The irony and the sad truth is that I was probably the most lost kid/And yet I never listened to my own advice/It's a fucking god complex/And I can't apologize enough to you all/I believe in redemption/I believe in second chances/Just look at my face/And you'll see the reality/That the girl with the furrowed brow/Is honest now.”

As the song progresses, the tinny sound of the production slowly becomes more and more clean and clear until the point where we reach the songs final moments and everything sounds crisp, you can hear the individual buzz from the fingerpicked electric guitar in the track while Amy’s voice becomes less weary and a little more powerful, more reminiscent of the aggressive red-haired frontwoman that we are more familiar with, even if the colour has all been washed out as she sings, “You'll understand why you rarely saw a real smile etched across my face/I'm free of the shackles that I put on myself/But I’m still finding my way/Took a while/To say/What I had to say/I'm broken/I guess/I was always/Built this way” perhaps a slightly subtle nod to the fact that she’s been on medication for depression and anxiety since her very early teenage years, something she used to hide away from. It’s an indication early on that she’s following the words she’s singing, that she is more honest with her own truth now.

”intro: hiding”

“I feel the need to apologize
I feel like I should apologize to everybody that listened to what I had to say
Because I taught the kids that worshipped us
To stand up for what they believe in and not be afraid of who they were
When all along, I was just hiding away
I was always hiding away from my own true self
Faking love and breaking hearts
Causing hurt to kind people because I couldn't love them like I should
Hiding from my own truth
And stepping out onstage every night
Singing about revolutions
And how the lost and lonely will find their way
If only they'd follow their hearts
The irony and the sad truth is that I was probably the most lost kid
And yet I never listened to my own advice
It's a fucking god complex
And I can't apologize enough to you all
I believe in redemption
I believe in second chances
Just look at my face
And you'll see the reality
That the girl with the furrowed brow
Is honest now
Because she's accepted her own truth
And she's finally following her own words and advice
That if we only get this one life
We must live it true
You'll no longer find me chasing love in the wrong place
You'll understand why you rarely saw a real smile etched across my face
I'm free of the shackles that I put on myself
But I’m still finding my way
Took a while
To say
What I had to say
I'm broken
I guess
I was always
Built this way”

Sound Alike;

trabbey – “Funeral”

thanks 7 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 14/11/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 14/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 14/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 15/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 15/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 23/11/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2020 05:55:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #02
Title: “mirror”
Genre(s): Adult Contemporary, Alternative Rock, Pop-Punk
Length: 4:23

The second track starts off with a similar echo-infused electric guitar opening delivered in an emotive scene setting finger picked style, with it’s instrumental equal in the form of a slow drum beat which adds to the contemplative and downtrodden nature of the song, it doesn’t take long before the vocals begin and Amy Meyer ponders questions out loud to herself, her tone again one of a weariness and beaten down nature, “How the hell can you lie to yourself?/When you've got the whole world listening to your words/How the hell can you talk about strength?/When deep down inside you're broken and hurt.” And it follows on from the statement delivered in the intro track with a similar theme of questioning the things she preached about while fronting her band and not following that up with her own life.

The music continues as a rhythm but contemplative backdrop to a song that is full of self-anger and frustration, Amy picking apart her past choices and being as hard on herself as anyone, there’s a tinge more of anger in the vocal delivery compared to the opening track which lends itself to the repeated lyrics, “I'm a fraud, I'm a liar/I'm the gasoline thrown on the fire/I'm a martyr, I'm a joke/How could I believe in the words that I spoke.” Which shows that she still has a penchant for the catchy tones but emotive lyrics and she continues to pick apart herself, “Maybe I need to look in the mirror/And ponder some questions/All I can see is the proof/Look in the mirror/And ponder some questions/Like why the fuck do I keep running from the truth.” and rinse and repeat with the catchy pre-chorus once more. This may feel like a million miles away from the former band leader but she has not lost her ability to structure a song.

A brief moment see’s the guitar speed up alongside the drums, which highlights it’s echo-driven tones again and adds a little more aggression into the track, which free’s up Amy to really let everybody in to this contemplative therapy session that she appears to be having with herself and her own music as she sings out with emotion, “I'd look at my reflection and wonder where you had gone/The memories of those I thought I'd loved/Passed before my very eyes/Right before reality hit/And the tears fell from my eyes/I don't know what always held me back/I don't even think a shrink could get to the truth/All I can say is that I'm truly sorry/For lying to all of you.” Before we’re given the pre-chorus and chorus once more before the songs fade out.

“mirror”

“How the hell can you lie to yourself?
When you've got the whole world listening to your words
How the hell can you talk about strength?
When deep down inside you're broken and hurt

I'm a fraud, I'm a liar
I'm the gasoline thrown on the fire
I'm a martyr, I'm a joke
How could I believe in the words that I spoke

Maybe I need to look in the mirror
And ponder some questions
All I can see is the proof
Look in the mirror
Like why the fuck do I keep running from the truth

I'm a fraud, I'm a liar
I'm a martyr, I'm a joke

I'd look at my reflection and wonder where you had gone
The memories of those I thought I'd loved
Passed before my very eyes
Right before reality hit
And the tears fell from my eyes
I don't know what always held me back
I don't even think a shrink could get to the truth
All I can say is that I'm truly sorry
For lying to all of you

I'm a fraud, I'm a liar
I'm a martyr, I'm a joke

Maybe I need to look in the mirror
All I can see is the proof
Look in the mirror
Like why the fuck do I keep running from the truth

I'm a fraud, I'm a liar
I'm a martyr, I'm a joke
How could I believe in the words that I spoke”

Sound Alike;

American Football – “But The Regrets Are Killing Me”

2001clay on 14/11/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 14/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 14/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 15/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 15/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 23/11/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2020 05:57:32(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #03
Title: “holding on”
Length: 4:31

The third track from the album continues a familiar theme, with a strong electric guitar intro in a finger-picked style with a strong echo which almost gives off a repetitive melodic lullaby vibe. It’s very minimal and the same pattern can be heard throughout the track, the volume slowly increasing as the song progresses following the arrival of an aggressive and powerful drum beat which adds to the emotional backdrop of the track and gives a sense of drama and power to the track as Amy delivers an opening line which has shades of the writing style that Riot! were known for at the peak as she sings, “I’ve been feeling the weight of the world for around twenty-seven years now/Did most of my growing up in a van with four boys from my hometown/I guess subconsciously the road was a subliminal message for the demons I’ve been running from/But now I’ve stepped away, everything that was familiar has all gone.” And that style that the band had for really cramming more words in their songs is definitely on display in this track, a slight change up from the opening tracks which saw the lyrics stripped back to minimal and effective. Amy continues singing amidst the dramatic musical backdrop during the opening verse, “And these days I can say honestly/I’m barely holding on/It’s been a while since I sat down and even tried to write a new song/Maybe the critics were right when they said/It won’t take long before it’s all gone.” And the theme is still very on brand with the tone of the album.

The musical tone continues in a similar pattern and the contemplative vocal delivery from Amy changes slightly to a less controlled tone, more fast paced and almost verging on shouty or aggressive as she sings the chorus with anger at herself, “I’ve been known to make the things that I love so much die/Got nothing left here worth keeping me alive/I push people away that always stood by my side/I’ve been searching for an answer/But I just don’t know why.” Which segues perfectly into a more dramatic and urgent verse with the drums overpowering the guitar for the first time in the album as Amy sings once more, “I dunno where to start/I’ve been told I’m empty and I’ve got a small heart/Perhaps they mistake my cold shoulder for a bad attitude/And wonder why my enthusiasm is so subdued/I guess I’m just rude/How did I ever get like this?/I used to be a fiery little fucked up kid/Ready to take on the world with two bawled up fists.” As she channels the aggression that she was known for in her vocal style in her early breakthrough years to showcase that there still there, somewhere deep within her.

The drums suddenly and abruptly stop dead in their tracks and just the echoey guitar pattern remains with an almost eerie silence lingering in the air before Amy finishes off the verse in a more subdued and weary but melodic tone, “Now I’m just silent/Wondering what all this is/I’ve got a habit for reconstructions/I just wanna down all the pills/Fuck the instructions.” Before we’re delivered the songs chorus a couple more times to the backdrop of the guitar as the song fades out.

“holding on”

“I’ve been feeling the weight of the world for around twenty-seven years now
Did most of my growing up in a van with four boys from my hometown
I guess subconsciously the road was a subliminal message for the demons I’ve been running from
But now I’ve stepped away, everything that was familiar has all gone
And these days I can say honestly
I’m barely holding on
It’s been a while since I sat down and even tried to write a new song
Maybe the critics were right when they said
It won’t take long before it’s all gone

I’ve been known to make the things that I love so much die
Got nothing left here worth keeping me alive
I push people away that always stood by my side
I’ve been searching for an answer
But I just don’t know why

I dunno where to start
I’ve been told I’m empty and I’ve got a small heart
Perhaps they mistake my cold shoulder for a bad attitude
And wonder why my enthusiasm is so subdued
I guess I’m just rude
How did I ever get like this?
I used to be a fiery little fucked up kid
Ready to take on the world with two bawled up fists
Now I’m just silent
Wondering what all this is
I’ve got a habit for reconstructions
I just wanna down all the pills
Fuck the instructions

But I just don’t know why

But I just don’t know why”

Sound Alike;

The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die – “Wait, What?”

Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2020 05:59:27(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #04
Title: “nostalgia trip”
Genre(s): Adult Contemporary, Alternative Rock, Pop
Length: 4:07

The fourth track begins with a driving pop-punk-esque lead guitar riff and clashing drums from the very beginning, adding a little faster energy to proceedings and a rhythmic bass line adding some instrumental range which has generally had the same sort of tone throughout the early stages of the album by design as the record is designed to have the feel of familiarity in terms of the music, Amy sings melodically and emotively as ever as she reminisces throughout the opening verse, “Ever since I was little, I knew what I wanted to do/To sing songs that I had written/To a crowd that would listen/To put my heart out there on a stage/And sing through all the pain and all the rage/But somewhere I got lost/And I’m trying to retrace my steps/Now that I can see the cost.”

The lead guitar drifts off towards the end of the opening verse, leaving just a drum and bass sound that repeats and recurs as Amy goes deeper into the nostalgia theme of the song with her lyrics, “Days spent at the skate park/With holes in my jeans/Looking up at the clouds and picturing my dreams/Four boys and a girl/Never thought that we’d make it/We haven’t been in a room for years/Some of us haven’t spoken/And it brings me to tears.” And the electric guitar riff comes thrashing back into things to pick up the pace of the song as Amy sings out in a pop-punk vocal delivery reminiscent of her early years during the songs repetitive chorus, “As I’m older now/I find myself thinking/On a nostalgia trip/I can feel myself sinking.” Pointing to the dangerous mood that looking back and getting nostalgic can have on someone, especially someone struggling with mental health issues.

The music continues in the same fashion as we arrive at the final verse, Amy delivers rapid fire vocals as she sings, “It’s like I woke up and those years had all gone/Only three of us still talk/But it’s never for very long/How did we get like this?/Was I the one that fucked it all up?/Or is the depression dragging me under/Like it always does.” And the songs repetitive chorus closes out the track “As I’m older now/I find myself thinking/On a nostalgia trip/I can feel myself sinking.”

“nostalgia trip”

“Ever since I was little, I knew what I wanted to do
To sing songs that I had written
To a crowd that would listen
To put my heart out there on a stage
And sing through all the pain and all the rage
But somewhere I got lost
And I’m trying to retrace my steps
Now that I can see the cost

Days spent at the skate park
With holes in my jeans
Looking up at the clouds and picturing my dreams
Four boys and a girl
Never thought that we’d make it
We haven’t been in a room for years
Some of us haven’t spoken
And it brings me to tears

As I’m older now
I find myself thinking
On a nostalgia trip
I can feel myself sinking

As I’m older now
I find myself thinking
On a nostalgia trip

It’s like I woke up and those years had all gone
Only three of us still talk
But it’s never for very long
How did we get like this?
Was I the one that fucked it all up?
Or is the depression dragging me under
Like it always does

As I’m older now
I find myself thinking
On a nostalgia trip

As I’m older now
I find myself thinking
On a nostalgia trip
I can feel myself sinking”

Sound Alike;

Sunny Day Real Estate – “In Circles”

Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:00:53(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #05
Title: “brave”
Length: 3:42

The fifth track begins with an electric guitar pattern repeated, starting off quiet but quickly increasing in volume. It only takes a few seconds before it’s accompanied by the sound of a piano melody which adds something additional to the track, Amy sings more in time with the piano chords rather than the guitar and her voice isn’t as weary as in previous tracks, it’s louder and clearer than previously as she sings the songs opening lyrics, “I used to be a young girl that couldn’t keep quiet/Ready to take on the world/I even started a Riot!/But in finding my true self/I lost part of what I was/Confidence faded from me/When our name became etched into the stars.” It feels slightly calmer and cinematic with the inclusion of the piano tones matching Amy’s vocals well, but this all changes quite quickly as the song progresses into the next stage.

The sound of crashing drums arrive onto the track and the guitar sound is less subtle, using volume over tone as it almost drowns out the sound of the piano as Amy sings in a powerful and loud vocal, “The demons were after me/Been chasing all my life/With every passing moment/Felt like they were getting closer every time.” And the combination of Amy’s suddenly aggressive vocal run and the dramatic increase in pace, bring to mind early Riot! tracks, as Amy delivers the songs pre-chorus, “I used to stand on stage/Singing out my words with rage/And I watch videos now/But it’s getting harder to see/Because that girl on that stage/Doesn’t look familiar to me.”
Before it all comes crashing to a halt, silence for a couple of moments before we arrive at the same intro electric guitar pattern and piano combo as Amy slows it down, her vocals have never sounded so clear as she sings it’s chorus, “Used to want to take on the world/But now I’m just fighting the demons inside/Used to be so fucking brave/But all I want to do is hide.” As she continues to get as honest as ever before on the track, laying down her deepest thoughts.

She then delivers the following verse and the rest of the song at a similar slowed down pace, with lines about her life now since she’s stepped away from the stage and attempted to figure herself out alone, “Now it’s just therapy sessions/Days spent in bed/Battling the thoughts running through my head/Not good enough/Got nothing to say/My struggle is mine/Not someone else’s to take away.” And that idea continues as we receive once final verse before the songs chorus closes things out, “But some days I wake up/And I feel a small fire/I want to stand up and fight/But my body is tired/But I hope that some day/I’ll find a way to be brave/And be the badass I was once/When I stood on that stage.”

“brave”

“I used to be a young girl that couldn’t keep quiet
Ready to take on the world
I even started a Riot!
But in finding my true self
I lost part of what I was
Confidence faded from me
When our name became etched into the stars

The demons were after me
Been chasing all my life
With every passing moment
Felt like they were getting closer every time

I used to stand on stage
Singing out my words with rage
And I watch videos now
But it’s getting harder to see
Because that girl on that stage
Doesn’t look familiar to me

Used to want to take on the world
But now I’m just fighting the demons inside
Used to be so fucking brave
But all I want to do is hide

Now it’s just therapy sessions
Days spent in bed
Battling the thoughts running through my head
Not good enough
Got nothing to say
My struggle is mine
Not someone else’s to take away

But some days I wake up
And I feel a small fire
I want to stand up and fight
But my body is tired
But I hope that some day
I’ll find a way to be brave
And be the badass I was once
When I stood on that stage

Used to want to take on the world
But now I’m just fighting the demons inside
Used to be so fucking brave
But all I want to do is hide”

Sound Alike;

Elliott – “Drive On To Me”

thanks 6 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 14/11/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 14/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 14/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 15/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 15/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/11/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:02:28(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #06
Title: “unfinished business”
Length: 3:04

The sixth track begins with an old-school pop-punk opening guitar pattern but at a slightly slower pace, with its tinny sounds and repetitive chord structure that continues in the same consistent pattern throughout the entire song with the occasional power chord thrown in as Amy sings angrily, “I don’t know how the fuck I’m still here/Spent too many lonely nights/Alone in fear/I’ve battled my demons/For most of my life/I’ve looked at the options/But known it ain’t right.” Once more setting the emotional tone of the song as she gives a subtle nod to suicidal thoughts creeping in with her lyrics. There’s a brief moment between the verse and the early chorus where you can hear a sign, not of exhaustion but almost of defiance as she bellows out the chorus in a way not heard for quite some time, “But I feel there’s something left in me/Some unfinished business/I just can’t see it manifesting itself/Unless I go searching for it” which gives the biggest indication yet that there’s still some fight in the former fiery frontwoman.

The pace of the instrumentation picks up but the patterns remain the same repetitive chord structures, again highlighting the idea that the album should be listened to in order and as one experience which is why the instrumentation and general tone of the songs remain similar throughout with minor changes and additions. Amy references her feeling regarding the songs that make up the album with the next verse, “I know I don’t want to write these depressing songs/But it’s all that seems to be coming out/I want to be the hope/That I gave to our fans/But I can’t lie to anybody right now.” As she indicates that she feels she’s not the person she once was and although would love to be that for people, just doesn’t have it in her to fake it.

We receive the songs shouty and aggressive chorus another couple of times before we’re given the songs final verse, harking back to the opening verse as the song comes full circle, “I don’t know how the fuck I’m still here/Spent too many lonely nights/Alone in fear/I’ve battled my demons/For most of my life/I’ve looked at the options/But known it ain’t right.”

“unfinished business”

“I don’t know how the fuck I’m still here
Spent too many lonely nights
Alone in fear
I’ve battled my demons
For most of my life
I’ve looked at the options
But known it ain’t right

But I feel there’s something left in me
Some unfinished business
I just can’t see it manifesting itself
Unless I go searching for it

I know I don’t want to write these depressing songs
But it’s all that seems to be coming out
I want to be the hope
That I gave to our fans
But I can’t lie to anybody right now

Some unfinished business

Some unfinished business

I don’t know how the fuck I’m still here
Spent too many lonely nights
Alone in fear
I’ve battled my demons
For most of my life
I’ve looked at the options
But known it ain’t right”

Sound Alike;

Real Friends – “I’ve Given Up On You”

2001clay on 14/11/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 14/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 14/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 15/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 15/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/11/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:04:00(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #07
Title: “interlude: six feet deep”
Length: 1:05

The seventh track has a repetitive almost soothing guitar progression throughout, it plays out continuously for around forty-five seconds uninterrupted until Amy’s vocals arrive as she delivers the songs lyrics, “You can hold my hand one last time/As we take our final walk to the garden outside/No more fooling around/Like we used to do/Just you and me/We’ll take our memories from the last three years/And we will bury them six feet deep.” Which showcase dark imagery that leaves itself open to interpretation. With the general idea of burying the difficult memories away, however she never indicates that they’re not necessarily bad memories, the song being so short leaves a lot of space for people to make up their own mind. It’s possible that these are good memories that cause her pain now looking back on them and that it’s easier to burying them.

The music remains the same three chords and fingerpicking guitar pattern throughout the entire song as Amy repeats her lyrics once more to close out the brief interlude track, “You can hold my hand one last time/As we take our final walk to the garden outside/No more fooling around/Like we used to do/Just you and me/We’ll take our memories from the last three years/And we will bury them six feet deep” as the music fades out.

“interlude: six feet deep”

“You can hold my hand one last time
As we take our final walk to the garden outside
No more fooling around
Like we used to do
Just you and me
We’ll take our memories from the last three years
And we will bury them six feet deep

You can hold my hand one last time
As we take our final walk to the garden outside
No more fooling around
Like we used to do
Just you and me
We’ll take our memories from the last three years
And we will bury them six feet deep”

Sound Alike;

Penfold – “I’ll Take You Everywhere”

Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:05:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #08
Title: “fading”
Length: 3:38

The eighth track arrives with a melodic electric guitar intro loud and with slightly more energy than previous tracks and after a couple of seconds is accompanied by a soft drum beat that can be heard in the background as Amy delivers the songs opening lyrics with a clear and powerful vocal, “It’s too late to save me from myself/Been running too long/Too proud to take your help/It’s too late to save me from myself/Been running too long/Too proud to take your help.” And although the lyrics aren’t exactly positive, it doesn’t feel like the most depressing song, it’s certainly got a little more energy than previous tracks but follows the same lyrical theme throughout the album. The music pattern again continues similarly throughout but rises in pitch and volume as the song progresses into the second verse.

Amy delivers her vocals and matches the pitch and volume increases with ease as she sings, “I don’t wanna hurt anymore/Plastering on fake smiles has become a chore/Took myself away from everything I know/Now I know nothing at all/Feels like I’ve forgotten how to do all the things I used to do before.” As she acknowledges a total loss of self and the confidence that comes with it, possibly interpreted as the idea that Amy has been on the road for so much of her adult life that she doesn’t really know how to live without that aspect of her life.
The music continues to rise and reaches it’s peak during the songs chorus, Amy sings out loudly, “Spend days in bed/No inspiration/If I keep this up much longer/I can see myself fading.” Another nod to the idea that she doesn’t know how to live in a non-creative environment and only really knows herself as the performer that she’s been for the entirety of her adult life.

The music begins it’s downward trajectory in terms of pitch and volume as it gives way to a more melodic softness, it feels like Amy has stepped closer to the microphone as she sings more quietly but more clearly. “I’ve been holed up for a long time/In a small town in Nevada/Never been spotted outside since twenty-nineteen/Nobody bothers me/I’ve had a brief taste of normality/Maybe it did some good for me/But it doesn’t feed my ego or my personality.” Before we’re given the songs pre-chorus and chorus before a fade out.

“fading”

“It’s too late to save me from myself
Been running too long
Too proud to take your help
It’s too late to save me from myself
Been running too long

I don’t wanna hurt anymore
Plastering on fake smiles has become a chore
Took myself away from everything I know
Now I know nothing at all
Feels like I’ve forgotten how to do all the things I used to do before

Spend days in bed
No inspiration
If I keep this up much longer
I can see myself fading

I’ve been holed up for a long time
In a small town in Nevada
Never been spotted outside since twenty-nineteen
Nobody bothers me
I’ve had a brief taste of normality
Maybe it did some good for me
But it doesn’t feed my ego or my personality

Been running too long
Been running too long

Spend days in bed
No inspiration
If I keep this up much longer
I can see myself fading

Been running too long
Been running too long
Too proud to take your help”

Sound Alike;

The Veils – “The Leavers Dance”

Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:06:55(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #09
Title: “nothing left”
Length: 4:41

The ninth track begins immediately with Amy delivering the opening lyrics, “Please don’t call me/Save us both the pain tonight.” Before being quickly joined by the familiar strains and echoes of the electric guitar alongside her clear and assertive vocal delivery as she continues, “I’ll say that I’m just fine/But we both know that something just ain’t right/I gave a fuck about you/But it hurts to see that you still care/When there’s nothing left inside of me these days/I’m empty and there’s nothing left.” As the verse finishes, the guitar continues on it’s own for an extended period of time which allows the music to soak in, putting emphasis on the instrumentation for a rare moment during the record.

Amy’s voice returns as we arrive at the pre-chorus, the pace of the guitar increases slightly with the same chord structure and melody and is now accompanied by drums and faint keyboards in the background which add to the melodic strength of the song as Amy sings, “You’re so tired of chasing shadows on the wall/Trying to be the net to break my fall/When you know that I have a tendency to feel nothing all/It makes me feel so small/Yeah, it makes me feel so fucking small.” As she seemingly picks apart her entire dating history in one song, pondering why people have an obsession with fixing or saving her and expecting things that they knew from the very beginning were things she wasn’t capable of emotionally providing.
The guitar soars above the drums and keyboards as we reach the songs chorus, Amy’s vocal delivery again strong and assertive, “We both know I have nothing left/But emptiness and my regret/We both know I have nothing left/But emptiness and my regret/We both know I have nothing left/But emptiness and my regret” it’s repetitive but it does it’s job to get across Amy’s frustrations at the same cycle seemingly happening.

We reach the songs intro repeated as a pre-chorus closer with a slight lyric change, “Please don’t call me/Save us both the pain tonight/I’ll say that I’m just fine/But we both know that something just ain’t right/I used to give a fuck about you/But now I’ve learnt to live without you/It hurts to see how much you really still care/When there’s nothing left/There’s nothing there.” Before we’re given the songs repetitive chorus to close out the track.

“nothing left”

“Please don’t call me
Save us both the pain tonight
I’ll say that I’m just fine
But we both know that something just ain’t right
I gave a fuck about you
But it hurts to see that you still care
When there’s nothing left inside of me these days
I’m empty and there’s nothing left

You’re so tired of chasing shadows on the wall
Trying to be the net to break my fall
When you know that I have a tendency to feel nothing all
It makes me feel so small
Yeah, it makes me feel so fucking small

We both know I have nothing left
But emptiness and my regret

Please don’t call me
Save us both the pain tonight
I’ll say that I’m just fine
But we both know that something just ain’t right
I used to give a fuck about you
But now I’ve learnt to live without you
It hurts to see how much you really still care
When there’s nothing left
There’s nothing there

But emptiness and my regret”

Sound Alike;

Del Paxton – “Coast to Coast AM”

Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:08:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #10
Title: “playing with fire”
Length: 5:48

The tenth track from the album features a more fuller instrumental sound as we heard a rhythm guitar and lead electric guitar, the lead guitar providing the primary tune of the song while the rhythm guitar provides the consistent tone of the track, quickly accompanied by a powerful drum beat reminiscent of the early songs that Amy fronted with Riot! in the Boulevard with that powerful pop-punk drumming sound that will no doubt feel familiar to fans of the band that have followed the lead singer over into her solo career, the music plays uninterrupted for around sixteen seconds before Amy delivers the opening verse of the song, pondering her innermost thoughts and fears, “I’m finding unnerving comfort in the strangest of places/Temporary love and how easily I can replace it/The fragility of my own existence and how quickly I can erase it/There’s an important thread missing somewhere but I just can’t seem to trace it/Welcome to my mind/I really fucking hate it.” Which is sung with heartfelt passion and a powerful vocal delivery.

As she finishes the first verse, the guitars and drums do not let up and lead immediately into the songs chorus, allowing a brief breath for Amy before pulling her back into focus as she sings over the clashing cymbals on the drums, “I find myself playing with fire/Tempted by the flame/I find myself constantly on the edge of destruction/But hate that my in memoriam would be such a rude interruption.” And it provides a chorus that feels like a call-back to the classic choruses found within almost every aspect of her former bands entire career, it feels made for live performance and a stadium sized sing along and wouldn’t feel at all out of place on a Riot! record.

As the chorus ends, Amy takes another brief vocal break but this time slightly longer as the guitars and drums take a moment to shine before we’re right back at it with the vocal delivery from Amy, “Constantly in my own head/It’s a never ending daydream turned to a nightmare/Fantasising about the worst of things/For a Christian girl/It’s a thought that I just can’t bare.” Before getting as raw and real with her lyrics as she may have ever, “I’ve grown tired of the rise and fall
Thought so many times that I’d like to end it all/But I’m weaker than I like to think/I get scared when I find myself stood on the brink/It feels like there’s no water deep enough/For me to sink.” Before we’re given the songs chorus repeated again and the middle verse closes out the song.

“playing with fire”

“I’m finding unnerving comfort in the strangest of places
Temporary love and how easily I can replace it
The fragility of my own existence and how quickly I can erase it
There’s an important thread missing somewhere but I just can’t seem to trace it
Welcome to my mind
I really fucking hate it

I find myself playing with fire
Tempted by the flame
I find myself constantly on the edge of destruction
But hate that my in memoriam would be such a rude interruption

Constantly in my own head
It’s a never ending daydream turned to a nightmare
Fantasising about the worst of things
For a Christian girl
It’s a thought that I just can’t bare

I’ve grown tired of the rise and fall
Thought so many times that I’d like to end it all
But I’m weaker than I like to think
I get scared when I find myself stood on the brink
It feels like there’s no water deep enough
For me to sink

Tempted by the flame

Tempted by the flame

Constantly in my own head
It’s a never ending daydream turned to a nightmare
Fantasising about the worst of things
For a Christian girl
It’s a thought that I just can’t bare

I’ve grown tired of the rise and fall
Thought so many times that I’d like to end it all
But I’m weaker than I like to think
I get scared when I find myself stood on the brink
It feels like there’s no water deep enough
For me to sink”

Sound Alike;

Macseal – “Twilight Funzone”

Offline C4AJoh  
#12 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:09:39(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #11
Title: “isolation”
Genre(s): Adult Contemporary, Alternative Rock, Emo
Length: 4:13

The eleventh track from the album see’s a slight change of pace in terms of the instrumentation, with a palm muted acoustic guitar and the natural sounds coming through in the production of the track almost giving it a recorded at home vibe. It’s intention is for the track to feel raw and not at all tampered with in terms of the production which adds to it’s theme of struggles while being stuck at home only with your thoughts and the dark intro showcases this as Amy sings softly on this track, “I swear it’ll probably be three weeks until someone finds me/I could be hanging from the chains that bind me/Or overdosing on the pills that have always defined me/Stuck staring at these walls/Hoping that they’ll just tumble down/And bury me beneath it all.” Which immediately paints the picture of a person grappling with their demons in the silence of quarantine and isolation.

As is the design of the song, nothing is produced to perfection allowing the natural rawness of the song come through, the vocals are not perfect or heavily produced, the guitar playing increases slightly in tone as the strings are strummed with more force to emphasize the songs chorus while Amy sings over the acoustic tones, “Quarantine ain’t been so kind to me/I guess in a way/I haven’t made it so easy/Lonely nights/Without a crowd singing back at me/Seems so empty/Isolation has made it tough/To breathe.” Which is no doubt a chorus that many people can relate to during this most difficult of periods, where mental wellbeing is being tested and pushed to the limit and the mental and physical health of people is at the forefront of the worlds collective thoughts.

The guitar continues to play softly and emotively and Amy’s voice cracks as she delivers words from the next verse, “I’ve cut so many ties that I’m losing count/But the worst part is that I’ve cut the best people out/The ones that loved me/I’ve slowly turned them sour/And now there’s nobody to call on/During my darkest hour.” Again as she opens her own internal wounds fully, it sounds like the emotions almost get the best of her as she delivers the next line, a personal one about her own story, “The doctors gave me pills at thirteen/And they promised they would make things right/Now fourteen years later/I’ve achieved everything I could have imagined/But I’m not enjoying much of this life/Not enjoying much of this life.” Is almost painful to listen to but she manages to compose herself to deliver the previous verse again and the chorus once more before the acoustic tones play out the track.

“isolation”

“I swear it’ll probably be three weeks until someone finds me
I could be hanging from the chains that bind me
Or overdosing on the pills that have always defined me
Stuck staring at these walls
Hoping that they’ll just tumble down
And bury me beneath it all

Quarantine ain’t been so kind to me
I guess in a way
I haven’t made it so easy
Lonely nights
Without a crowd singing back at me
Seems so empty
Isolation has made it tough
To breathe

I’ve cut so many ties that I’m losing count
But the worst part is that I’ve cut the best people out
The ones that loved me
I’ve slowly turned them sour
And now there’s nobody to call on
During my darkest hour

The doctors gave me pills at thirteen
And they promised they would make things right
Now fourteen years later
I’ve achieved everything I could have imagined
But I’m not enjoying much of this life
Not enjoying much of this life

I’ve cut so many ties that I’m losing count
But the worst part is that I’ve cut the best people out
The ones that loved me
I’ve slowly turned them sour
And now there’s nobody to call on
During my darkest hour

Quarantine ain’t been so kind to me
I guess in a way
I haven’t made it so easy
Lonely nights
Without a crowd singing back at me
Seems so empty
Isolation has made it tough
To breathe”

Sound Alike;

beabadoobee – “How Was Your Day?”

Offline C4AJoh  
#13 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:11:05(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #12
Title: “my own sanity”
Length: 4:27

The twelfth track begins with an electric guitar and keyboard combination which work together to give off a melancholic vibe, the sound of the electric strings matching beautifully with the echo from the keyboards which sets the tone perfectly to Amy’s slow and wistful vocal as she sings, “Who am I? is the question I write/In almost everything that crosses my mind these days/Take my hand and show me why/Everything had to turn out this fucking way/Tired of people saying I’m strong/Telling me to just be brave.” Shows contemplation and frustration in its lyrics as the song quickly moves into the second verse, “Brave is the thing I’ve been the most/Been told that since I was thirteen years old/When I was given things/I didn’t understand/Was told they’d make me better/But here I stand/Barely straight and upright.” With an indication that not everything that makes us better is good for us.

Amy’s vocal rises high above the instrumentation during the songs chorus, she delivers it with passion as she sings out, “Take the pills they gave to me/And wash them down with my own sanity/Take the pills they gave to me/And wash them down with my own sanity” it’s repetitive in rhyme and catchy a trademark of the songwriter from her earlier days with Riot! In The Boulevard, some have said that this element to her songwriter has been used sparingly as her career progressed but there have been moments in this record where she has shown she can still write a catchy chorus.

Her vocal switches back to reflective and emotive as we reach the next verse, as she tackles the ageing process and how as you start to get older, you start to lose things whether to death or circumstance as she sings, “Now that I’m twenty-seven years old/Losing things is becoming normal/Lovers to grudges/Friends to depression/Family to illness/Myself and my faith/Maybe there is no heaven/Just this earth.” With a brief reference to her own religious grappling having been brought up with Christianity but rejected it since adulthood.
She delivers the pre-chorus, increasing her vocal to power over contemplative as she sings angrily, “Some nights I wanna scream so someone hears me/Others I wanna cower in silence and let the darkness defeat me.” Which she repeats once more before one final delivery of the chorus before the song ends.

“my own sanity”

“Who am I? is the question I write
In almost everything that crosses my mind these days
Take my hand and show me why
Everything had to turn out this fucking way
Tired of people saying I’m strong
Telling me to just be brave

Brave is the thing I’ve been the most
Been told that since I was thirteen years old
When I was given things
I didn’t understand
Was told they’d make me better
But here I stand
Barely straight and upright

Take the pills they gave to me
And wash them down with my own sanity

Now that I’m twenty-seven years old
Losing things is becoming normal
Lovers to grudges
Friends to depression
Family to illness
Myself and my faith
Maybe there is no heaven
Just this earth

Some nights I wanna scream so someone hears me
Others I wanna cower in silence and let the darkness defeat me

Some nights I wanna scream so someone hears me
Others I wanna cower in silence and let the darkness defeat me

And wash them down with my own sanity”

Sound Alike;

Joie De Vivre – “Maybe People Do Change”

Offline C4AJoh  
#14 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:12:42(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #13
Title: “save me from myself”
Length: 2:13

Track thirteen comes in as one of the shorter tracks on the record with the exceptions of the intro, outro and interludes. Beginning with an echo-infused Piano intro with the sound of a slight crackle in the air, the song is a slow one based on the melodic approach with Amy singing slowly and wistfully over the sounds of the lush piano tones as she delivers minimal words, “I’d thank the lord that I found you/But we haven’t been on speaking terms for some time/You put the light on all around me/And it hid the truth of the darkness as easily as a simple “I’m fine”” which highlights the idea that it used to always be easy for Amy to shrug off any difficulties that lay beneath the surface. She repeats the opening verse once more before arriving at the minimal chorus.

The approach with the song is short and to the point, she delivers the songs chorus in a similar manner to the opening verse using “Oh, woah” phrasing which brings to mind early Riot! once more as she sings it’s chorus, “Oh, woah/Save me from myself/Oh, woah/Save me from myself.” Before returning with the opening verse repeated once more, “I’d thank the lord that I found you/But we haven’t been on speaking terms for some time/You put the light on all around me/And it hid the truth of the darkness as easily as a simple “I’m fine” and repeated once more before closing things out with the brief chorus once more.

“save me from myself”

“I’d thank the lord that I found you
But we haven’t been on speaking terms for some time
You put the light on all around me
And it hid the truth of the darkness as easily as a simple “I’m fine”

I’d thank the lord that I found you

Oh, woah
Save me from myself
Oh, woah
Save me from my own self

Oh, woah
Save me from myself
Oh, woah
Save me from my own self”

Sound Alike;

Amber Run – “5AM”

Offline C4AJoh  
#15 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:14:09(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #14
Title: “interlude: rejects”
Length: 0:52

The fourteenth track from the album goes without instrumentation, the sound of static can be heard faintly and just the sound of background noises, an occasional tapping sound as the track is delivered in spoken word by Amy, her weary and exhausted sounding voice as she says the words aimed at a former love and her regrets at things not working out, “We couldn’t ever hide how we felt/You loved with passion/I got scared and pushed you away/I apologize/For being empty and cold/But you knew me/You knew me before.” As the background noises remain while Amy continues, “Maybe you just love the rejects/Putting back their pieces/Trying to make em’ fit/Wonder was it all worth it.” She repeats this and ends the interlude with the opening verse once more.

“interlude: rejects”

“We couldn’t ever hide how we felt
You loved with passion
I got scared and pushed you away
I apologize
For being empty and cold
But you knew me
You knew me before

Maybe you just love the rejects
Putting back their pieces
Trying to make em’ fit
Wonder was it all worth it

Maybe you just love the rejects
Putting back their pieces
Trying to make em’ fit
Wonder was it all worth it

We couldn’t ever hide how we felt
You loved with passion
I got scared and pushed you away
I apologize
For being empty and cold
But you knew me
You knew me before”

Sound Alike;

dandelion hands – “How To Never Stop Being Sad”

Offline C4AJoh  
#16 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:15:25(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #15
Title: “someday”
Length: 2:25

The fifteenth track begins with a strong electric guitar intro, with an echo reverb and repetitive finger picking style and is quickly joined by soft piano keys being played in the background, slightly fainter than the sound of the guitar it just subtly adds to the music which gives the song a slightly sunnier feel not hugely but you do get the feeling from the instrumentation that this is a slightly more hopeful song, but the opening lyrics push against that idea as Amy sings, “I don’t think I’ve felt/Anything real/All of this/Just feels so numb to me.” As she questions that what should have been the best times of her life gave her no real feeling at all, potentially talking about a period in a relationship or possibly linking this to the early success that she experienced as lead singer of Riot! In the Boulevard, either way it’s open to interpretation and gives the audience the opportunity to relate it to their own experiences.

The music continues in a similar fashion, again it feels slightly more uplifting than previous tracks but the lyrics contradict the sound slightly, it feels like there’s something more coming but the second verse once more pushes against this as Amy sings of sadness once more, “I’ve fallen so many times/But the worst one was most recently/Everything went dark/And I just didn’t want to see.” Which feels like it’s lifted from her experiences in the last two years which she has acknowledged were probably the darkest for her. We are given a long awaited pay-off and the indication that the instrumentation felt hopeful is evident as she sings the songs chorus, loudly and clearly, “Someday I’ll come back from this/Someday I’ll come back from this/Someday I’ll come back from this/Someday I’ll come back from this.” Which shows a sense of hopefulness and positivity giving a slight pay-off to the emotive and depressing songs of struggles.

This idea pushes forward even further as we reach the songs final verse, the music remaining very much the same with the structure continuing repetitively throughout, Amy sings and it makes you feel happy potentially for the first time in the album, it’s small steps but the direction feels right, “I’m in a sort of recovery/Trying to really get my head straight/Wrote some songs for the first time in a few years/Talked to a couple of my closest friends/My headspace is still fucked/But every day/I’m getting back up.” And she sings out the simple but hopeful chorus another couple of times which hopefully leads to a finale within the album that brings some sort of comfort and hope to the listener. Because it’s been a suicide watch ride so far. Just checking to see if you’re paying attention, I’d have stopped reading a while ago.

“someday”

“I don’t think I’ve felt
Anything real
All of this
Just feels so numb to me

I’ve fallen so many times
But the worst one was most recently
Everything went dark
And I just didn’t want to see

Someday I’ll come back from this

I’m in a sort of recovery
Trying to really get my head straight
Wrote some songs for the first time in a few years
Talked to a couple of my closest friends
My headspace is still fucked
But every day
I’m getting back up

Sound Alike;

The Japanese House – “Cool Blue”

Offline C4AJoh  
#17 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:16:45(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #16
Title: “bloom”
Genre(s): Adult Contemporary, Alternative Rock, Pop
Length: 3:06

The sixteenth track opens up with an scene setting guitar intro, soft, repetitive and moving without being too overbearing which gives Amy’s vocal delivery the space to shine and showcase the song, she sings with emotion and her voice sounds weary, almost like she’s just finished crying, “Kind face, dreamy eyes/You’ve got the power to hypnotise/Or make me lose myself/For just a night/For just one night.” As she sings about a familiar feeling of falling in love and losing yourself and being able to let go of the stupid little things that run through you mind and make you sabotage a good thing, she continues immediately into the second verse, acknowledging her own downfalls, “I’ve spent so long running from love/That it no longer bothered me/But now that I’ve seen it really up close/My mistakes are fucking haunting me.” Indicating that she never worried about what she never had because it wasn’t familiar to her anyway, but getting a small glimpse of real love makes her want it a little more and yearn a little more.

As we arrive at the songs pre-chorus, the music sets the picture of a warm mid-west night laying on the grass looking up at the stars and just letting yourself breathe, it’s tone are beautiful with a dreamy sort of vibe, “I’d love nothing more/Than to just let go/Of the demons that run free in my mind/Searching for a bloom/I may never find.” Which leads us perfectly into the songs chorus as she simply sings, “I keep picturing flowers bloom/Inside my own heart cage/I just keep picturing flowers bloom/Inside my own heart cage.” It’s an innocent lyric that shows that you don’t need wordy lyrics full of details and descriptiveness, you sometimes just need the simplest of ideas to put across the meaning of what you’re going for.

Amy’s vocal shows it’s beautiful control and tone as she sings the songs hook, “I want to feel a love like this/But something keeps stopping me/From experiencing it/I want to feel a love like this/But something keeps stopping me/From experiencing it.” And again it’s so simple and basic but does it’s job so well with the perfect elements backing it up, it’s a voice with emotion and a scene setting musical backdrop that lends itself to a story told in so few words. Closed out by it’s simple but innocent chorus, “I keep picturing flowers bloom/Inside my own heart cage/I just keep picturing flowers bloom/Inside my own heart cage.” Before the song closes out to the dreamy guitar sound.

“bloom”

“Kind face, dreamy eyes
You’ve got the power to hypnotise
Or make me lose myself
For just a night
For just one night

I’ve spent so long running from love
That it no longer bothered me
But now that I’ve seen it really up close
My mistakes are fucking haunting me

I’d love nothing more
Than to just let go
Of the demons that run free in my mind
Searching for a bloom
I may never find

I keep picturing flowers bloom
Inside my own heart cage
I just keep picturing flowers bloom
Inside my own heart cage

I want to feel a love like this
But something keeps stopping me
From experiencing it

I want to feel a love like this
But something keeps stopping me
From experiencing it

I keep picturing flowers bloom
Inside my own heart cage
I just keep picturing flowers bloom
Inside my own heart cage

Sound Alike;

SHY Martin – “Slow”

Offline C4AJoh  
#18 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:17:47(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #17
Title: “chin up, kid”
Length: 3:25

The seventeenth track begins with a dreamy guitar intro that wouldn’t feel out of place in a scene from an Indie coming of age movie, it’s moving without being anything special and the tone just sets up the song perfectly with it’s mellow feeling and relaxing tone as Amy sings, “I don’t know what it is that sent me this way/They say depression can be passed on through the generations/But I’ve got three siblings that have their shit together/All I’ve got is mood swings that change just like the weather.” And it’s delivered with less sadness in the tone, it feels like there is brief indications of understanding and acceptance of the hand that has been dealt and the feeling that one way or another, you will carry on to another day or another moment where something other than complete sadness exists, like there’s something to keep going for.

This becomes quite clear as the guitar picks up the pace slightly, playing the same pattern but less slowly with a drumbeat that isn’t overpowering but just adds enough to the song to give it a swelling moment that almost feels a little sweet when you’ve sat and listened through devastation for the previous sixteen tracks, it’s instrumentation alone potentially says more than the lyrics but Amy delivers a brief glimpse of positivity and hope in the thought that things will get better as she sings, “Chin up, kid/You’ll be alright/Chin up, kid/I promise you’ll be fine.” It’s simplicity proving effective enough with the weight of the instrumentation behind it. Much like the majority of the album, the lyrics are simplistic and to the point where previously Amy’s writing style was more archaic and detailed, this very much cuts to the point with honesty and self-exploration.

The music continues with the primary lead guitar and drum combination, again delivering a movie scene backdrop as Amy delivers literal lyrics specific to her own experiences alone, “I grew up just outside of Vegas/A middle class kid/With dreams of being famous/That’s exactly what I did.” Which sets up the stakes and heights before immediately bringing it back down to earth, “But I’ve suffered for a long time/I remember my first episode to this very day/I was eight years old/Eight fucking years of age.” Which see’s her once more take personal moments from her life and deliver them heartfelt to the world, “I tried my best to keep it hid/Thought it would be triggering for the other kids/But I’ve accepted that it’s part of me/It’s how it’s always gonna be.” Which shows that she understands why she was afraid for so many years to not go into detail about her own struggle for fear of it influencing in the wrong ways, but acknowledging that it needs to be accepted and in the open in order to normalize a stigma that surrounds mental health and similar issues. She then delivers the songs slightly hopeful chorus before the guitar and drums fade out.

“chin up, kid”

“I don’t know what it is that sent me this way
They say depression can be passed on through the generations
But I’ve got three siblings that have their shit together
All I’ve got is mood swings that change just like the weather

Chin up, kid
You’ll be alright
Chin up, kid
I promise you’ll be fine

Chin up, kid
You’ll be alright
Chin up, kid
I promise you’ll be just fine

I grew up just outside of Vegas
A middle class kid
With dreams of being famous
That’s exactly what I did

But I’ve suffered for a long time
I remember my first episode to this very day
I was eight years old
Eight fucking years of age

I tried my best to keep it hid
Thought it would be triggering for the other kids
But I’ve accepted that it’s part of me
It’s how it’s always gonna be

Chin up, kid
You’ll be alright
Chin up, kid
I promise you’ll be fine

Chin up, kid
You’ll be alright
Chin up, kid
I promise you’ll be just fine”

Gates – “Everything That Always Will Be”

Offline C4AJoh  
#19 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:18:49(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #18
Title: “yesterdays”
Length: 3:03

The eighteenth track begins with a guitar and drum combination with the drums adding a little more drama to the feel of the song against the dreamy echo-infused guitar pattern, Amy delivers the opening lyrics in a strong delivery with a tinge of sadness in her tone as she sings, “I’m so sorry for the things I’ve done/But you have to admit/We had a really good run/Maybe one day/Things will fix in time/And we can give this another shot/And we’ll be fine.” Which immediately gives you the general concept of the song, about Amy looking back on her relationship during it’s final moments and not being completely dejected by it’s end but instead proud of the efforts both parties made in trying to make it work, it’s not laced with the complete downtrodden lyrical content of some of the earlier songs on the album, this one is looked at with more analytical eyes.

The music remains the same throughout, providing a comfortable backdrop as Amy delivers the songs chorus, “Our yesterday’s still ring in my ear/And I miss what you gave me/When you came here” which shows that there is an element of sadness and loss in the aftermath but again there’s a hope that returns as she follows the chorus up with another verse, “I know things are different/And we have stuff to work through someday/We’ll talk as soon as I fix this/No more regret/I may be unfamiliar to you/But I’m not quite gone just yet.” Which adds the element of losing yourself to the song. With Amy indicating in those few lines that she recognizes that she may not be the girl that her former partner fell for, but she firmly believes that that version still lives within in her in some way.

The music builds slightly, with the drums increasing in volume while the guitar drives the song forward in a scene setting way, as Amy delivers it’s final verse and content wise the final nail in the coffin, “Cause we were old friends/Both you and I/I stood by your side/And you stood by mine/And we’ve already had our last goodbye/I’ll take the good memories/And make sure they don’t ever die.” Delivering the honest assessment that although there’s a part of her earlier in the song that was hopeful of a fix and the possibility of continuing their relationship further down the line, she’s now accepted that the reality of the situation offers a very different ending to their story. We’re then given the songs chorus a couple more times before the guitar and drums crash out.

“yesterdays”

“I’m so sorry for the things I’ve done
But you have to admit
We had a really good run
Maybe one day
Things will fix in time
And we can give this another shot
And we’ll be fine

Our yesterday’s still ring in my ear
And I miss what you gave me
When you came here

I know things are different
And we have stuff to work through someday
We’ll talk as soon as I fix this
No more regret
I may be unfamiliar to you
But I’m not quite gone just yet

Cause we were old friends
Both you and I
I stood by your side
And you stood by mine
And we’ve already had our last goodbye
I’ll take the good memories
And make sure they don’t ever die

When you came here

When you came here”

Sound Alike;

Foxing – “The Magdalene”

Offline C4AJoh  
#20 Posted : 14 November 2020 06:20:04(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Track: #19
Title: “bandages and gauze”
Length: 4:38

The nineteenth track and penultimate track from the album begins with a powerfully moving piano melody which immediately indicates the emotive vibe of the song, Amy’s vocals arrive and their crisp and clear but the lyrics are delivered in a sombre and slow melancholic vibe as she contemplates her struggles and emotional turmoil that has played it’s part throughout her life, “My head has had some trauma but it didn’t give in/And my heart has seen so much pain through all of this living/I can’t say I lost some of my innocence/Because I didn’t have it/To begin with.” From the opening bars to the conclusion of the opening verse, it’s clear that this is a highly personal song that encompasses Amy’s personal history that hasn’t always been talked about previously in songs but has been explored throughout the entirety of her upcoming solo album, with it’s pop-ballad vibes, it’s also likely the most commercially viable song from the album by the same name but the themes continue to be raw and personal alongside the entire vibe of her new record.

The beautiful tones of the piano continue as we arrive at the second verse as Amy sings lyrics that add to the idea and emotions of the opening verse, “So much going on in my head/I should just give in/I can’t remember the last time I ever did some real living/It’s a survival of the fittest/But I just don’t fit in.” and the lyrics flow in a way that make you want to sing along, the melody’s within the track already are earworms and the lyrics add to this feeling, it’s one of those songs that are completely sad but you can’t help but sing along to and this isn’t more evident than when we arrive to the songs chorus.

It's probably one of the most addictive choruses Amy has written in her entire career and wouldn’t be out of place being sung by some of the biggest pop balladeers in the music industry, alongside the backdrop of the hauntingly beautiful piano and the way in which Amy delivers the lines slowly to emphasize the words even further just add to the songs power to draw you in as she sings, “I cover up all of my feelings/Bandages and gauze so tight I almost stop breathing/But I don’t look for help/Because that to me was so defeating/That to me was so defeating.” Which gets repeated at the end of the song but makes you want to reset the song back thirty seconds on your device to hear it again.

Amy then goes into further depth with the songs personal lyrics but they’re written in a way that is open for fans to interpret the lyrics and link them to their own struggles, again the piano emphasizing every syllable and word being sung, “But some days I just wish I could have been young and foolish/Had to grow up quicker than my school kids/Sink before I swim/Countless medicine/Felt like the water closing in/With my child sized lungs almost giving in.” which is then quickly followed by a hook which is a lot more specific to the situation Amy found herself in as a teenager fronting one of the biggest music acts of their time, “Why did they ever look at me as a leader?/Man, I don’t need that/They all thought I had made it/But I just hate this.”

We’re given a rapid-fire breakdown where she rushes out the lyrics with a frantic energy almost as if she doesn’t want the words to sit with her for too long, “I’m at war with myself/Battling my own mental health/I’m at war with myself/Battling my own mental health.” And we’re then given a repeated verse before the songs catchy chorus returns to close out the song and make sure that it remains with you long after the song has finished, “I cover up all of my feelings/Bandages and gauze so tight I almost stop breathing/But I don’t look for help/Because that to me was so defeating/That to me was so defeating”

“bandages and gauze”

“My head has had some trauma but it didn’t give in
And my heart has seen so much pain through all of this living
I can’t say I lost some of my innocence
Because I didn’t have it
To begin with

So much going on in my head
I should just give in
I can’t remember the last time I ever did some real living
It’s a survival of the fittest
But I just don’t fit in

I cover up all of my feelings
Bandages and gauze so tight I almost stop breathing
But I don’t look for help
Because that to me was so defeating
That to me was so defeating

But some days I just wish I could have been young and foolish
Had to grow up quicker than my school kids
Sink before I swim
Countless medicine
Felt like the water closing in
With my child sized lungs almost giving in

Why did they ever look at me as a leader?
Man, I don’t need that
They all thought I had made it
But I just hate this

I’m at war with myself
Battling my own mental health
I’m at war with myself
Battling my own mental health

But some days I just wish I could have been young and foolish
Had to grow up quicker than my school kids
Sink before I swim
Countless medicine
Felt like the water closing in
With my child sized lungs almost giving in

I cover up all of my feelings
Bandages and gauze so tight I almost stop breathing
But I don’t look for help
Because that to me was so defeating
That to me was so defeating”

Sound Alike;

LANY – “Malibu Nights”