logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JakeTheSnake  
#41 Posted : 05 September 2010 07:16:03(UTC)
JakeTheSnake

Groups: Registered

Shit man this is terrible...I wish Greg the speediest recovery possible. Send my regards to his family, I cant imagine how they must be feeling right now. He's lucky to have you two by his side though.

- Michael York
Titan - Progressive Groove Metal from Denver, CO
Debut Single, Devoured By An Angry God, Out Now!
titanmusic.com
Currently Signed To Shooting Star Records
Offline troy211619  
#42 Posted : 05 September 2010 08:45:57(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
This can't be happening right now, on the peak of your success, tragedy has entered to throw it all away. Just hope that Greg is okay but for the meantime, you can have a solo spot in place for Infinite.
-JC Anderson
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline MATTT  
#43 Posted : 05 September 2010 08:55:10(UTC)
MATTT

Man

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Such a shame im a really really big fan of you guys so this kills me to see..

-Nicole(Suburban Sunrise)
MY ARTISTS

hindsight.
UserPostedImage
Offline Laurelles1  
#44 Posted : 05 September 2010 21:07:34(UTC)
Laurelles1

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
infinite135 wrote:
Laurelles1 wrote:
Jason: I hope this is a joke. If there is an way I can help you guys, I will try my upmost. Send my best from me and the rest of Mind.

I wish it were a joke, mate. It's been a rough day so far, but people like you are helping to get Greg's friends and family through this. I might be having a small benefit concert (with two or three bands) for him, so I'd love for you to perform at it. If that's not asking too much.
-Eric Quillington

Jason: We'd be more than happy to perform at it if there is one. We're sure Greg will pull through though, he's a strong dude.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#45 Posted : 07 September 2010 06:21:31(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
UserPostedImage
This single is dedicated to Greg Oldson. Get well soon, we love you.

Problems with Pluto- The first single off of Midnight Skies, Problems With Pluto is an excellent example of the deeper and more matured sound Infinite wanted off of their second album. With new influences ranging from U2's 'The Fly' to Moby's 'Porcelain', the song is more of an evolution of their sound rather than the complete shift in musical direction that Eric Quillington wanted. The lyrics are also more focused than before; rather than the vague sketches of emotion from Blue Nebula, the song is a verbal assault on doomsday theorists. The singing is also different; rather than Quillington taking lead vocals, the song is divided between himself and Greg Oldson. The two vocals are blended together to create an interesting sound, and is only split into two separate voices during the chorus. The newer sound is already a hit with fans; the song has been played in place of fan-favorite Supernova, and the song currently holds the number 3 spot on the Top 20 Airplay Chart.

Oxygen Thief (Reckoner Cover)- One of Infinite's favorite songs on Reckoner's third studio album 'Everything X', the band was offered the chance to cover the song by Troy Mascenon himself. Infinite stays true to the original song, and plays it a brutal intensity reminescent of their music on Blue Nebula. The song is very similar to No Remorse; as a result, Quillington sings it the type of barely held-back insanity that made their first album so popular. In the singer's own words, "It's sort of a homeage to our debut album, as well as paying respect to Reckoner. Everything from the string arrangement to the lyrics is fucking brilliant, which made it an incredible experience to cover it. My voice on it sounds like a mixture between myself, Troy, and Thom Yorke... which is probably the best thing I've ever said of myself."

Ciel- Much like 'Problems with Pluto' was representative of Infinite's evolved sound, 'Ciel' shows Greg Oldson's incredible strides as both a lyricist and a drummer. The song is very experimental-sounding, with highly electronified instruments being played in the background. The instruments are so changed and distorted that it's difficult to tell what's playing what. The lyrics, written by the drummer himself, are about a fictional advertisement that's literally selling heaven. The sarcastic tone of it is reminescent of Quillington's lyrics, although Greg manages to make it his own. In many ways, the entire song is his; from the opening drum solo to his lead vocals (his first on an Infinite song).

Personnel

Eric Quillington- Lead Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Lyricist of "Problems With Pluto"
Matt Roberts- Bass
Greg Oldson- Drums, Percussion, Lyricist of "Ciel"

Special thanks to;

-Daniel, Stacy Walton,MattY,and Saburben Sunrise for helping us get through this dark period of Infinite. We're honored to have friends like you.
-Titan for honoring Greg Oldson with a cover of Verse.Chorus.Verse.
-Reckoner for having us on the All Around the World tour. Touring with our favorite band is an honor.
-And to all you crazy fans out there; we wouldn't be here without you.
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline C4AJoh  
#46 Posted : 07 September 2010 06:45:07(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8577 time(s) in 2690 post(s)
Stacey: Fucking epic, is all I'm gonna say about this.
Offline JakeTheSnake  
#47 Posted : 07 September 2010 07:07:14(UTC)
JakeTheSnake

Excellent! You couldnt have chosen 3 better songs for the single. Problems With Pluto is, in my opinion, the best song you guys have ever done. I love the lyrics and meaning behind the song. I'll be picking this up for sure.

- Jake Craft

OOC: Let me just say, I dont think anyone writes better song descriptions than you. Every time I read a song description off of Midnight Skies, or any other album/single, afterwards I'm like "I want to listen to that song!"
Titan - Progressive Groove Metal from Denver, CO
Debut Single, Devoured By An Angry God, Out Now!
titanmusic.com
Currently Signed To Shooting Star Records
Offline infinite135  
#48 Posted : 07 September 2010 07:41:26(UTC)
infinite135

Man

JakeTheSnake wrote:
Excellent! You couldnt have chosen 3 better songs for the single. Problems With Pluto is, in my opinion, the best song you guys have ever done. I love the lyrics and meaning behind the song. I'll be picking this up for sure.

- Jake Craft

OOC: Let me just say, I dont think anyone writes better song descriptions than you. Every time I read a song description off of Midnight Skies, or any other album/single, afterwards I'm like "I want to listen to that song!"

Thank you, man! I really think that this is our strongest single yet because there's no filler at all, each song can stand by itself. I agree with you about Problems with Pluto, too; this song, Supernova, and Fusion Paranoia are the best songs we've ever made. I'd include Collision on that list... but, for obvious reasons, I don't really want to listen or think about it right now.
-Eric Quillington

OOC: There are better people at writing song descripions than me; Laurelles and Daniel, for example. Thanks for the compliment, though, it really means alot! I always try to write songs that I'd want to hear in real life, so I'm glad that people feel the same way about the songs!

Quote:
Stacey: Fucking epic, is all I'm gonna say about this.

Thanks, Stacey! As I've said before, I was nervous about whether or not people would like our new songs. The reception for our album and first single has been amazing.
-Eric Quillington
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline troy211619  
#49 Posted : 08 September 2010 01:47:07(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Really overwhelmed right now. The whole single was epic! I wasn't saying that just because you covered Oxygen Thief(Cover of The Year!) but because the single and B-Side combination was just right for each other, a perfect combination of songs in one single. Genius!
-Troy Mascenon
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#50 Posted : 13 September 2010 02:19:38(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Dear All,

Problems with Pluto and Supernova have the number one and number two spots on the Top 20 Airplay Chart. This is fucking incredible for us; a year ago, nobody knew our name... now we've dominated the charts. So, a huge thanks to everyone who voted for us. Without fans like you, we wouldn't be in this position today.

On to even more great news! Greg's starting to recover from his injuries, which is probably the best thing I could've hoped for in this situation. Less than a week ago, I was dead sure this would put the band on a hiatus for at least a couple of months, and now it seems like he'll be fine by October. He's a tough little bastard, that's all I can really say. I highly doubt Matt and Greg will continue touring with Reckoner during the All Around the World tour in September, but I know for a fact we'll resume playing shows in October. I can say that with certainty because Infinite is going to be touring with Saburben Sunrise for the first week of October. These guys offered to let us play with them back when we were still a shitty, unknown group, and I don't think we'd be enjoying this level of success without them. So, in many ways, this is our way of saying thanks to them for all they've done to help us.

Infinite has quite a hefty load of material being released in the next couple of months, as well. During the Blue Nebula period, we went long periods of time without releasing anything, and I feel that was a mistake. I'm sure fans got pissed off about having to wait so long for a new single/album, and so the band is doing things differently this time around. There'll be two EPs being released sometime during October and November, but the one I'm going to explain right now is called Inferno. It's something I've wanted to do since the beginnings of Infinite, and I figured now is as good of a time as ever. Basically, this EP is going to be an adaption of the epic poem Dante's Inferno. It's about a man traveling through hell, and where would Infinite be if it's songs weren't the most depressing things in existance? There are nine layers of hell, and so there will be nine songs on the EP, each song focusing on each respective part. I really can't say how it'll sound, because we're just starting to write for it now, but I'm really excited about this project!

One more announcement (I know, big post, sorry); Infinite will be beginning it's first major headlining tour in the second or third week of October. I'm pretty sure that Titan and Stacey Walton are going to be two of the support groups for this tour... if there's any other band who's interested in touring with us, you just have to ask! I'll give more information about this tour (the name, dates, setlists, etc.) when I know exactly what's going on. So, stay tuned!

Cheers,
Eric Quillington

OOC: If your band/artist is interested on being on this tour, just PM me. Thanks!

Edited by user 14 September 2010 01:22:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King
Offline C4AJoh  
#51 Posted : 13 September 2010 22:44:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Stacey: I'm definitely gonna be on this tour, I can't wait, The album will be out by then and I can just go out and have fun with it onstage, it's gonna be epic. Well done on the Top 20 number 1 and 2 that's unbelievably good.
Offline infinite135  
#52 Posted : 07 October 2010 06:06:29(UTC)
infinite135

Man

UserPostedImage

1. Prelude to a Dream [Lyrics and Music by Eric Quillington]
2. Problems With Pluto [Lyrics by Eric Quillington, Music by Greg Oldson]
3. Out of Focus [Lyrics and Music by Eric Quillington]
4. Falling from the Sky [Lyrics and Music by Eric Quillington]
5. The Infinity Delusion [Lyrics by Eric Quillington, Music by Greg Oldson]
6. Lucky [Lyrics by Eric Quillington, Music by Greg Oldson]
7. Stream of Consciousness [Music by Matt Roberts]
8. How To Disturb and Alienate Others [Lyrics by Eric Quillington, Music by Greg Oldson]
9. Magnum Opus [Lyrics by Eric Quillington, Music by Greg Oldson]
10. Strobe [Lyrics and Music by Greg Oldson]
11. Hyperactive/Regenerate [Lyrics and Music by Eric Quillington]
12. Vortex [Lyrics and Music by Eric Quillington]
13. Another Sunset [Lyrics by Eric Quillington, Music by Greg Oldson]

Composition [Music/Lyrics]

'Midnight Skies' is influenced heavily by the works of Radiohead (primarily their album 'The Bends') and U2 (primarily their albums 'Achtung Baby' and 'Zooropa'). Due to Jason Smith's heavy involvement in the creation of the album, the song 'Lucky' is strongly influenced by him. Quillington's screams at the end of the song were made possible by the brief tutoring Smith gave him.

Eric Quillington has stated in numerous interviews his desire to break away from, what he calls, "the whiny bullshit" that dominated Infinite's debut album. He's also stated that, "I wanted to grow and evolve as a musician. There are so many bands out there that make a fortune off of selling records based off teenage angst. And, y'know, great for them; they get to take baths in 100 dollar bills while their fans cry over the songs. Selling depression isn't what I want to do; Infinite's next album is going to convey so much more." As a result, 'Midnight Skies' has a much deeper and more matured sound when compared to 'Blue Nebula'. While their first album had themes of depression, apathy, and (paradoxically) ridicule of teenage angst, 'Midnight Skies' is notably different; as well as themes about creativity and religion, the album also has songs dealing with the importance of human life.

'Midnight Skies' lyrics place a large focus on a lucid dream experienced by an unknown narrator, and it's effects on his mind after he wakes up. Eric Quillington states the primary influence of the album as being, "The story I've heard about a man who has a heart attack, and sees heaven for 20 minutes. I just think it'd be unimaginably cruel to see paradise, and then have to wake up for work the next morning."

In addition to dreams, the album also has themes about death, celebrities, and religion. Eric Quillington admitted that a few of the songs (noteably Falling from the Sky and Infinity Delusion) were written out of a time of spiritual crisis. The song Strobe is primarily about media and it's effects on society, as Greg Oldson stated, "It's information overload, in a sense. You see things on the tube all the time about what these famous pricks are up to. After a while, you just start to think that you don't matter."

Reception

Midnight Skies has recieved generally positive reviews upon it's release. On Metacritic, it currently holds a score of 87 out of 100, based on 31 reviews. Stephan Erlwine of Allmusic stated, "Infinite grows up with a bang on their sophomore album. All the tiresome themes of angst and regret are swept away, replaced by an intruiging analysis of religion and it's affects on the human mind." Chris Willman of Entertainment Weekly rated the album "A-", and called the album, "A quiet masterpiece. Quillington's near-obsession to write lyrics different from normal-rock cliches pays off at almost every turn." In a similar positive light, Michael Wood of Spin stated, "With songs ranging from blissfully hopeful to the heart-wrenching album closure 'Another Sunset', Midnight Skies is a joy to listen to from beginning to end. Greg Oldson's wickedly sarcastic lyrics on 'Strobe' show just how unique and creative Infinite is." Many critics also applauded the more active roles Greg Oldson and Matt Roberts had on this album.

In a slightly less positive review, Will Hermes of Rolling Stone stated, "It's as disappointing as Blue Nebula. The band claimed it to be a 'postive album', but Quillington still sings lines like, 'let me die in peace', 'stop wishing for a miracle', and 'the dream is dead.' Positive, indeed." Alexis Hardy of Village People was similarly critical, and stated, "It's a shame that this band has so much respect from fellow musicians." Some critics also noted some similarities the album had with the works of Reckoner and Mind, as Alan Petrol of Popmatters says, "If ripping off the vocal technique of Troy Mascenon is what it takes to be a genius, we all need to bow down to the mighty Eric Quillington."

The album was very positively recieved by musicians. Jason Smith called it, "A masterpiece", while Daniel said the music, "Had a very powerful and inspirational message."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Genre: Alternative/Experimental Rock
Length: 47:08
Record Label: Hot Eye Records
Producers: Jason Smith, Danny Allen

Release Date: November 1st

Edited by user 06 November 2010 01:08:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King
Offline infinite135  
#53 Posted : 19 October 2010 07:37:01(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Dear All,

Been way too long since I've posted on this website. My apologies. It's just been an incredibly busy month for us, with all of the promotion for Midnight Skies. We finally have an official release date for it; it'll be on November 1st!

The first date of our announced tour will also coincide with the release of Midnight Skies. There'll be some truly amazing acts on board with us, and it's going to be such an exciting month; Glamazon, Stacey Walton, Titan, and Saburben Sunrise are all going on tour with Infinite. If there's any band out there who'd still like to tour with us, just let me know (OOC: PM me). It's not too late to sign up for the Decorus Somnium Tour!

(Explanation for the name; Midnight Skies is all about dreams, and Decorus Somnium is latin for 'Beautiful Dream'. It seemed kind of obvious, and it makes the band sound ten times smarter than we actually are. If anything, it's just a catchy name)

The first single off of Midnight Skies, Problems with Pluto, has been an incredible hit. It was number one on the Top 20 for two consecutive weeks, which is an incredible thing. Thanks to everyone so much for giving us that! We have a second single coming out in the next week or so; The Infinity Delusion. I won't give away too much detail about the B-Sides, only the names; Halo and See You Soon. You guys are going to love it, I promise!

Lastly, thanks to all you fans out there. I was a complete ass during the Blue Nebula period, and I can't apologize enough for it. With all the cancelled tour dates, postponed singles, music videos, etc.... and it was all because of my moodiness and unwillingness to accept what's been given to me. I won't continue this cringe-inducing rant for music long, so really; thanks to everyone who's stuck by Infinite even after all the disappointments. I love all you guys. Anyways, you can expect more announcements on this website pretty soon, so stick around!

Cheers!

Eric Quillington

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King
Offline infinite135  
#54 Posted : 26 October 2010 05:09:58(UTC)
infinite135

Man

UserPostedImage
('The Infinity Delusion' single cover will be added later)

The Infinity Delusion- This song was one of the final to be written and recorded on 'Midnight Skies', and is a perfect representation of the themes found on that album. The song's lyrics describe a scientist obsessed with mathematically finding a way to reach infinity. By the end of the song, he's being driven insane by the search, and realizes just how pointless it is. Eric used this idea as a metaphor for his own search of god, and the lyrics were some of the most personal he's ever made. During the recording of this song, in order to keep up with the more experimental tendacies of the album, it was decided that Matt Roberts should sing, something he's never done before. After much hazing from his two bandmates, Matt finally agreed to sing in a duet with Greg Oldson during the chorus, while Eric sung the verses. Eric, the main lyricist of the song, was initally worried about how the song would be receieved; in his own words, "I was afraid some religious bigots would interpret the song as my own 'bigger than Jesus' statement. I could care less about what they think, but I'd prefer it if they didn't convince their sheep to burn Infinite's albums on the streets. In the end, I got over it."

"Infinity lies before me like a void
Yet I stare, always asking myself why
I’ll figure it out before it drives me mad

I feel like I’m slowly drifting away

Forever- something so elusive, so pure
Always one way or another
I’ll never figure it out, but that’s never stopping me

Man dreams of numbers, plots and equations
With the endless drawings, he can see the light of god
Man declares war, all to just defend beliefs
With the endless bloodshed, he can see the light of god

Infinity lies before me like a void
And in the end, I don’t care why
I’ll never figure it out, and it’s driving me mad

When it’s over, I’ll have more questions than answers

Man dreams of numbers, plots and equations
With the endless drawings, he can see the light of god
Man declares war, all to just defend beliefs
With the endless bloodshed, he can see the light of god"

A State of Euphoria- A song written by Eric Quillington for the 'Find Miss Vanity Concert', it is also dedicated to the eponymous singer. This song was initially considered to be released as a charity single, but the band decided against it once Miss Vanity was found.. In the words of Eric, "I just wanted to cut away all the Sci-Fi and metaphors I usually incorporate in my songs, and just focus on something direct and personal. When it was reported that she was missing, I was devasted. The concert dedicated to finding her was an honor to be a part of, and this was written specifically for it. I wrote it to describe the emotions her family and friends would feel once she'd be found safely, just incredible happiness and bliss." The lyrics to the song are very simple and reminiscent of lullabies, with much of the emotion carried out through the acoustic-led melody.

Crack the Halo- Written by Greg Oldson, Crack the Halo is meant to be a continuation of the lyrics to The Infinity Delusion. While the aformentioned song has a more contemplative tone to it, Crack the Halo's lyrics sarcastically deal with the corruption an athiest places on a Christian. "There's alot going on about how it'll completely ruin the life of a Pastor's daughter if she goes out with anyone who isn't a hardcore fundamentalist," Greg explains, "which I thought was bollocks. Everybody has corruption inside of them. So, I used this song as a way of mocking that idea."

Personnel

Eric Quillington- Lead Vocals, Guitar, Pianoist, Lyricist of 'The Infinity Delusion' and 'A State of Euphoria'
Greg Oldson- Drums, Percussion, Lyricist of 'Halo', Vocals on 'The Infinity Delusion'
Matt Roberts- Bass, Vocals on 'The Infinity Delusion'

Special thanks to;

-Stacey Walton, Glamazon, Titan, and Saburben Sunrise for agreeing to tour with us next month
-All our wonderful and amazing fans out there
-Anybody who agrees that this record won't change us into an anti-religious band. It's just us describing how we're feeling at the time, we'll be back to our songs about psychotic aliens soon enough.
-Our previous record label for delaying the release of our debut single, Styx, for two years. And then not giving us a cent of the profits when it was released.
-The girl who's giving Greg some head in the adjacent room while I'm typing this. From his moans of pleasure, I can tell he'll want her to be thanked. ;)

Edited by user 26 October 2010 05:12:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King
Offline Laurelles1  
#55 Posted : 26 October 2010 05:18:06(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Jason: I'm really glad this has been released as a single. The Infinity Delusion is one of my fave tracks off of Midnight Skies. The best thing is that the other tracks are amazing too. I hope it does well.
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Birdies:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#56 Posted : 26 October 2010 10:48:09(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Laurelles1 wrote:
Jason: I'm really glad this has been released as a single. The Infinity Delusion is one of my fave tracks off of Midnight Skies. The best thing is that the other tracks are amazing too. I hope it does well.

Thanks, man! It was a favorite of ours, too, which is why we felt it was strong enough to be a single. I'm not overly sure it'll be as successful as 'Problems With Pluto', because that was so strongly recieved. Sales don't really matter to us after our last single; as long as people like this one, we'll be happy.

-Eric Quillington

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King
Offline infinite135  
#57 Posted : 20 November 2010 03:33:47(UTC)
infinite135

Man

In My Life: The Story of Eric Quillington (Part One)

UserPostedImage
(Childhood pictures of Eric 'Quillington' Johnson)

Eric Quillington is one of the most celebrated and beloved figures in music. The frontman of Infinite has only two albums (Blue Nebula and Midnight Skies) to his name, but has managed to accomplish more with those two albums than many musicians do in a lifetime. This three-part retrospective, written by Quillington himself, examines the remarkable story of his rise to fame.

Introduction (By Jason Smith)

“The thing that puts Eric in a different category from most modern musicians is that he’s actually an artist. The music he makes can do so much more than just please your ears. He has contributed so much for the music industry. The first time I REALLY became aware of Eric, and of Infinite in fact, was with the release of Blue Nebula. I was actually backstage whilst on a tour, and I turned the radio on to see what was happening. They played Supernova and I was like “holy shit...”. After the show that night, I immediately looked up Infinite and saw what they were all about. I looked at some more of their songs on YouTube, and realised that Infinite were one of the best bands in years. I think the song that made me go onto their website and get in touch with them was 0.9 Pelnav. What a fucking tune, it puts Mind to shame. After that, I decided that I was going to try and get into touch and so I posted about how much I liked their music on their website.

The first time I met him in person was, I think, at The Dirty Bastard. That was a very weird night. I was with Aaron, having a casual drink, and we started talking to Eric. I recognised him straight away, since I was well into Infinite by that point. I say that night is weird because the next thing I know, we’re on the news involved in a murder case. Some rapper called Yung Deez, I dunno... Anyway, we sorta became good friends in the weeks following that. I think we became REALLY good friends in another incident in The Dirty Bastard, where we all got drunk out of our minds with Stacey Walton and Tim Dunn and “allegedly” thought the world was being taken over by robots. Don’t ask me, I haven’t got a clue, but apparently that’s what happened.

We’ve also produced a lot of stuff together. From Stacey Walton (which we did with Danny Allen, another legendary producer) to Fathers of Fury, we’ve produced it. This mans talents seemingly never end. I helped with Danny Allen in producing Infinite's newest album Midnight Skies, which is probably the greatest thing, ever. It’s definitely my producing highlight.

Eric is a genius, a beacon of light in a bland, dark world of music. He is an amazing human being and an amazing musician. There are very few people who have his talent, he’s like a modern day John Lennon. Above all that, he’s as great a friend as you’re ever likely to have.”

Early Days

Kelly Bethamy had something of a reputation in college. She was in the top of her class when it came to grades, but seemed to waste her intellect on the cheap thrill of drugs and sex. A bit of a classic case; would’ve had a highly respected career as a neurosurgeon if she’d only sorted out her priorities. When Kelly was five-years-old, her mother overdosed on pills. Suicide and death ran in her family, and it’s quite possible that she wanted to kill herself through pleasure. Despite all her blessings and talents, Kelly never realized how beautiful she was. Medical school kept her in balance, though. Despite all her self-destructive tendencies, Kelly still thrived for the future. She was a living contradiction, and managed to pass that undesirable trait along to her first-born son. When she was in Medical School, life was fine; during the summer, however, a different side came out to play. During the third week of July, Kelly Bethamy went to a bit of a party, and met a low-life bastard by the name of Mike Johnson. They were worlds apart, but still somewhat similar; Johnson, a high school drop-out, shared Kelly’s desire for failure. But, while Kelly’s decision to achieve failure was inspired by self-loathing, Mike’s stemmed from apathy and embarrassingly high levels of laziness. The reasons behind their motives didn’t matter; about eight months after their careless one-night stand, I was born into the world.

My mother, Kelly, named me Eric James Johnson. My mother was raised to be a moral Christian (yes, I'm aware of the contradictions), so I got the bastard’s last name because of her desire to have a baby out of wedlock. In a way, she changed after I was born; after so long, she’d finally found meaning to her life. As a newborn child, I helped to erase my mother’s desire for oblivion. Always found it somewhat ironic that her choice of self-destruction ended up giving her a reason to stay alive. Of course, this hope came from the most unfortunate of circumstances, and almost destroyed any chance of a successful future. While she slaved away at finishing up Medical School, my drunk of a father spent most nights at the local bar. By now, he’d realized how much of a pathetic nobody he was, and tried to forget about this fact by guzzling down alcohol. I thankfully don’t carry too many memories of Mike, because he left my mother when I was only five years old. As a result, my childhood is left mostly untainted by his presence; my earliest memory is of my mom reading me a bed time story. Try not to gag at that overly-cute comment.

When I was about seven, my mom found another man. Richard Lithe, a fellow Doctor, was the caring and intelligent kind of person that Mike could never be. Never really saw that side of him, though; to him, I was always the reminder of mom’s less-than-admirable past. He’d never tell me that he felt that way, his manners and charm wouldn’t allow that, but I could always tell of his feelings from the way he looked at me from time-to-time. About a year after they were married, my mother gave birth to John Lithe. My half-brother is an infinitely better person than me based solely on genetics; John had the grace and intelligence of Richard, while I was stuck with the fear that I’d grow up to be like my own father.

By the unspoken choice of Richard, I remained as Eric Johnson. Not being a ‘Lithe’ is so much more painful than it sounds, but I managed to live up to my father’s name pretty well during the first several years of school. Tormenting the other kids (wedgies, swirlies, fights on the playground) was my favorite past-time in Elementary School, largely due to the fact that I had no discernable talents or intellect and was receiving sub-par grades as a result. The one thing I did possess was leadership qualities, which was used to my advantage during my infamous schoolyard reign of terror. My gang of ‘friends’ were picked manly by their appearance; only the tough (and ugly) looking boys were allowed into my group. Never really considered them to be that close to me, they were always kind of like pawns. It didn't matter how I felt, because they had unswerving allegiance; I was their kingpin, and all lunch-money taken from the other kids went directly to me. Yours truly was a criminal mastermind, and a developing frontman, before he even hit sixth-grade.

When little John was only four, he decided that he wanted to be the next Mozart. My (or more accurately: his) parents decided to fuel his eager and creative mind by buying a piano. A four-year-old’s Christmas gift of a Grand Piano should give you a pretty good idea of how bizarre my family life was, and the extent that my younger brother was spoiled. I played the piano from time-to-time when I thought nobody else could catch me, and something slowly started to click in my mind. Music just made sense to me, in a way that schoolwork and my own life never did. I finally found something I was good at, and would often show off my talent to my family. Even so, the ‘cool’ instrument to me always seemed to be the electric guitar, and I was finally given one as a birthday gift when I was eleven years old. From the moment I learned my first chord, I was hooked; nothing else mattered, and bullying weaker kids for cheap thrills no longer seemed important. In addition, rock music began finding its way into my life. Even more interesting than the music, to me, were the musicians. They were worshipped like gods by their fans; as a result, I viewed them as such. After seeing several bands in concert, and taking note of my developing musical skills, I realized it was a possibility to become one of those ‘gods’. In my mind, it was the only way to avoid becoming a failure like my father. At the age of 14, I had already made up my mind about the future.

I, luckily, had the two skills necessary to achieve my goal. My leadership qualities were used to a much-lesser sinister motive this time around; instead of forming a group for a shock-and-awe campaign, this group would have the very simple motive of becoming the most successful rock-band in history. My skill at playing guitar was brought into play, but I never even considered singing for this band. I had at this time a passable singing voice, and some potential, but it always seemed to me like singing was too revealing. I gave that unwanted position to my then-best friend Alex Flux, and made it seem like a huge sacrifice on my part to convince him to take it. Alex, unfortunately, had almost no singing voice at all. The good news was that he could scream like none other, and the two of us slowly developed a sound around his voice. In a rather sadistic fashion, I recruited a bassist and a drummer with sub-par abilities in an attempt to make myself look better. The choice was a wrong one, and it showed; right from the beginning, the band Alpharian was god-awful. The only way to describe the sound was Nirvana-meets-screamo, and it was every bit as bad as that sounds. We barely got gigs, and the story of a bunch of 14-year-olds trying to be metalcore quickly made us the laughing stock of the town. For a while, it didn’t bother me; I was in a band, no matter how terrible it was.

Despite the small ray of sunshine Alpharian put into my life, everything else continued along in the same pointless fashion. My brother’s school marks were nothing short of brilliant, making my increasingly-dropping grades look worse by comparison. Richard and I were barely on speaking-terms, and my mom’s initial pride in my developing musical skills quickly turned to an uncomfortable indifference when she heard the horror that was Alpharian. My class-clown antics (which earned me respect and love from my classmates) and lethargic attitude towards school gave teachers all the proof they needed that I would not have a remarkable or successful future. I was a blemish on the other-wise perfect Lithe family, and was reminded of that fact almost every day.

About this time, I began to realize how much of an embarrassment Alpharian was. The band’s style of heavy-metal wasn’t something I wanted to play, and our horrid playing (mine included) hadn’t earned the respect or love from a single member in any audience. In many ways, we were falling apart; I often took my anger out on the bassist, Isaac Baker, which resulted in him quitting the band. Just as I was thinking of disbanding the band, salvation arrived in the form of Greg Oldson. Alex brought him in as Baker’s replacement, and I instantly took a bit of a disliking towards him. He was the star goalie of the school football (or as you Americans call it; soccer) team, and was on the honor roll. In those days, I had no idea why someone so talented would want to be in a band of misfits. So, my jealousy instantly formed into sarcasm, and I made the poor chap feel incredibly unwelcome during the first couple weeks.

All of that changed in the most unlikely of events. After one particular Alpharian gig, when I was sixteen years old, I felt particularly exhausted and wasted. Greg felt similar to my feelings in regards to the band, and all my troubles just came pouring out to him. Never really figured out why I opened up to him, but I told him everything; how I felt my sole talent was being wasted, how I was stuck with my bastard father’s last name, and how I was never a part of the ‘Lithe’ family. I'll never forget his response; “Then how about you just leave and start your own family? It could have some eccentric surname like Quillington, or something.”

Edited by user 20 November 2010 04:28:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King
Offline C4AJoh  
#58 Posted : 20 November 2010 03:36:06(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Stacey: WOW!

OOC: Nothing more to say really. Again. WOW!
Offline Laurelles1  
#59 Posted : 20 November 2010 03:39:49(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

OOC: Fucking hell... that's amazing. Can't wait to read on.
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Birdies:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Matticus  
#60 Posted : 20 November 2010 04:47:22(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
OOC: That was incredible!!!
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)