logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<6789>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mebeme101  
#141 Posted : 01 May 2015 02:29:24(UTC)
mebeme101

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Alec Cole - Just Me EP
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
kandii on 03/05/2015(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#142 Posted : 06 May 2015 08:11:18(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Abie Lena - Greatest Hits: The Best of Me
http://www.therockstarga...st-of-Me.aspx#post410622
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
Offline kandii  
#143 Posted : 10 May 2015 17:08:24(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Click above for the best selling albums of the last month!

Summary: Rum still reigns at the top of the chart with her record breaking EP Word of Mouth. But though she has sat in this throne for the last 2 months, thanks to Adam Black's Memories debuting at #2, she can no longer sit comfortably, especially since next week she is more than likely to be booted out of the top spot as we await Reported Failure's Lie In with almost 200,000 pre-orders SO FAR. At #3, SYNCO's Grown jumps up 2 spots as fans eagerly await their new album but what we have all our eyes on (not us quoting an Isabel album) is Tisha Jackson's 25 FINALLY breaking into the top 5 and landing at #4. It seems throwing shade at the world's most adored pop star and then completely annihilating every venue in your She's Got Heart Tour will most definitely pay off. Penetralia's In Fear, Faith and Flaws continues to sell. charting at #6 as fans die in anticipation for their upcoming album that will include the uber-hit single, Gem. Sam Thatcher's (...)Human Disaster debuts at #10, definitely an underwhelming debut for the rookies down at Just Record Records but still doing pretty well for an indie album with no singles and atrocious promotion. Even more under-performing, Amy Meyer who has actual singles and even a bigger name debuts on our charts at #11. Meanwhile Barbie Doll, Luke Striker and Reese Hollinsworth officially drops out of the Golden 15 after a great lengthy run.

HIP HOP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

R&B CHARTS
UserPostedImage

POP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

INDIE CHARTS
UserPostedImage

ROCK CHARTS

UserPostedImage

ELECTRONIC CHARTS

UserPostedImage

PRE-ORDER CHARTS

Reported Failure - Lie In [180000]
Aliya Rose - Party Is Over EP [50000]
Abie Lena - Greatest Hits: The Best of Me [50000]
Jared Nevo - Lungs [20000]
Alec Cole - Just Me EP [unknown]

UserPostedImage
Just when we thought we’d never see those two apart again.

Critically acclaimed and commercially successful hip-hop duo, Rum & Coke, which consist of Nina Tarantino and Airemese Smith, were to release their fourth record, Better in Tongues, follow-up to chart-topper, Perks of Fame (2014); however, a change of plans (read: Smith’s wedding to rapper Kidd Amaze - whose real name is TJ Cousins, which prompted her to go into a brief hiatus) caused the album to be delayed (to which date we have yet to be notified of). To bridge fans over the wait, the rapper of the duo, Rum dropped her debut solo EP, Word of Mouth, out of the blue on March 8, 2015, which happens to be International Women’s Day. The day of the release seemed apt, as both Tarantino and Smith have been throughout their career nothing less than powerful women of the industry who empower every woman in their wake. This is not the first time one of the two has gone solo: Smith herself endorsed a Gucci fragrance which went on to become the best-selling fragrance of 2014 and released a solo EP of her own, The Sweetest Thing, which went on to top the Golden 15 for weeks on end. That being said, the release of Word of Mouth was no less shocking, as not even the most skeptical followers of the duo had never expected either of them to do their own thing ever again.

However, at the same time, most fans argue that it was about time Rum did her own thing, seeing as she had multiple times proved her knack in rapping. Just this year alone, Tarantino started the year lending a verse to the Drew Westbrook hit, One; and, of course, the highly-anticipated comeback single of SpitSet (which also include Cousins and Isaac Lovelock), Primo. Just these two singles had made fans wanting to hear an unadulterated, untethered Rum, rapping by herself about God-knows-what. What fans of the duo do know, though, is that: should Tarantino release her own material, it will be epic. Months later, she granted their wish.

Word of Mouth, which clocks in at fourteen minutes and thirty-seven seconds (14:37), begins relatively softly with raw R&B instruments which begin ‘Downtime’, the first track on the extended play. Once the beat comes in, Tarantino half-raps-half-sings over Stevie Wonder-reminiscent synthesizers, calmly letting out her frustration about double standards women face when starting a no-strings-attached relationship. Commenting on the song, Tarantino says, “It's a song about me, really. I get so frustrated when it's all cool when someone needs me for the night but when I need them, all of sudden there are these feelings and attitudes that I just have no time for." Interested in the fact that she isn’t the only one who suffer from the same issues, she continues, "I guess there are a lot of women out there who've found themselves in a 'come when I call' situation that was completely one-sided." “You ain’t nothing but a hobby,” she sings in the instantly catchy hook, reaffirming that casual sex is more her preference due to dramatic relationships which she discusses in several lines within the song: “Been gave you a chance to drop your habits/Now all of a sudden you wanna make me happy” and “Oh so now you wanna spoon?/All them cold nights I called and where were you?/Glad you came through”. The theme of the song might have intentionally coincided with the day on which the EP was released, March 8; as she talks about one of the many unjusts women face in life, she’s powerful all the way through, reaffirming again and again that the guy really isn’t “nothing but a hobby”. All lyrical reasonings aside, the song is generally a very laid-back, feel-good track (or it otherwise would have been but for the pumping beat which has been proven to be the quite the FancyN signature.) It’s quite a strong beginning to a work of extended length, one which many mainstream artists today have yet to even graze.

The second track, ‘Warm Sheets’, has quite the history among the duo. The instrumentation of the track originally founded Allison Cooper’s vocals of ‘Down the Road, I Met a New Me’, a song which Smith wrote based on her suffering from bullying and bipolar disorder. After Tarantino wrote lyrics to the same instrumentation, Anniken Dahl-Smith, who discovered and is currently managing Rum & Coke, and Yasmine Kiambang, a fellow writer, revised and edited the song, eventually giving the song to Cooper. On ‘Warm Sheets’, Rum sings on the glittery production, which is accompanied by layered backup vocals and jingle bells amongst others, about a subject almost opposite to that of ‘Downtime’: inviting a stranger with a “pretty smile” into her love life due to the romantic pressure brought on by the holidays. It’s mostly excuses and irrational reasons to avoid a relationship with the aforementioned stranger throughout the song, but in the end, she concedes, “You can get to know me in these warm sheets”. The track closes with Tarantino’s vocals fading out, singing “Fuck that walk of shame shit, you should call into work…”. It’s a rather odd thing to write about, but ‘Warm Sheets’ easily takes the prize for the first song about the holidays that actually does not mention the merries of the season, which is an absolute godsend to those who resent those kinds of things (i.e., over half of the U.S. population). It’s a solid track, but many of us on the review panel question its originality: they say it kind of reminds them of Rihanna’s ‘Skin’, the wrongly-overlooked track on the Barbadian’s fifth studio effort, Loud. Otherwise, there’s not much more we can complain about the track. But there’s one more thing I’d like to remark: the juxtaposition between ‘Sheets’ and ‘Downtime’ is quite smart from the production to the lyrics and even to its overall vibe. Whether its positioning is accidental or coincidental, it’s quite smart of the rapper to do so.

The FancyN signature strong beat returns on the third track, ‘More’. One of Tarantino’s most sexually explicit tracks, she goes all out, not withholding any cringe-worthy details. Rum utilizes two styles of rapping/singing on this one: a laid-back style for the first verse (possibly implying her submissive side) and a more fast, active style for the second (you know where this train is going). The first verse mostly entails Rum’s admiration to her love interest, which is as sweet as the next Loud-Rihanna song; but the true jewel of ‘More’ lies in its second verse, where the rapper violently (would ‘enthusiastically’ serve as a better term?) describes a tug of war between the two about which one of them takes the lead in the bedroom, which leads to Rum boasting herself and finally returning to the chorus. The song suddenly fades out (contrasting, I know) right after the hook, leaving the entire review panel kind of hanging as we were kind of getting in our zone and whatnot; but, then again, now we know what to expect from Better in Tongues. Otherwise, it’s another strong effort from Tarantino which would fit right into Top 40 radio, if the wave of sexually explicit content on airplay right now is anything to go by.

Last but certainly not least (certainly because Rum & Coke always save the best for last) is ‘Virgoan Nights’. Reminding us of Rum & Coke’s work in Perks of Fame, the track has much more depth than the three tracks that precede it, giving us a Rum-curated look into her personal life. The hip-hop track talks about being a Virgo and the struggles that come along with it, with a more-than-notable side-note on her struggles to control her sex addiction about which the man holding out on intimacy doesn’t know. In the first verse, the scenery is just that: the man suggests that they wait until “later” right in the middle of foreplay, citing her hectic life as a public figure as one reason. She retaliates, telling him not to “talk to [her] like [she’s] famous” and arguing that she is a sexual being, which is certainly not true. (This feels sort of contradictory to what we see in ‘Downtime’, in which Tarantino says that she prefers no-strings-attached sex.) She then goes on to explain that she feels like meaningless sex is her last resort although that is not what she wants most of the time in the second verse. The line of thought continues with Rum using the traits of a Virgo to describe herself, detailing on their strong chemistry and how a deep conversation made him irresistible to her (which the Zodiac claims to be the key to a Virgo’s heart; she admits that the Zodiac is true in a line early on in the second verse). The hook this time around is entirely in the other man’s point of view, who swears that one day, she will be thankful that he held out. Continuing onto the third verse, Tarantino reminisces on the events of their night, contemplating how they ended up having him sleep on her lap rather than take advantage of her, ending the verse with “Stayed up all night thinking of what we could've did/Asking myself if the morning counts as later”. She then goes straight into the outro, where she expresses that sometimes she’s tired of being a Virgo, since self-criticizing and over-thinking is of Virgo’s main traits, which probably inspired the song in the first place. It’s quite a melancholy ending to the EP, which has been quite the norm for artists who are in desperate need of showing their ‘personal’ side. But Rum is no mediocre artist who seeks attention in that way. She simply does so because she wants to. Let’s not forget that Tarantino (along with her friend Smith) has become an industry veteran; there is no need for her to seek attention, they just come flocking over.

Verdict: Through Word of Mouth, Ms. Tarantino reaffirms her position as one of the best female rappers of all time (if not the best). From the variety of her lyrics to her undeniable talent of production, and even just in the style of her rapping, she shames even the best of the best, despite some doubts about her originality.

11/15

(OOC: BIG thanks to dohaihoangnam for writing this!)

ALL boosts were added! Voting will be up tomorrow!

Edited by user 16 May 2015 23:38:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 12 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 10/05/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 10/05/2015(UTC), erich hess on 10/05/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 10/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 10/05/2015(UTC), dohaihoangnam on 11/05/2015(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 11/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 11/05/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 12/05/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 16/05/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 17/05/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 22/05/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#144 Posted : 16 May 2015 02:48:06(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
GirlSpice - Crown

Thank you. :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
kandii on 16/05/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#145 Posted : 17 May 2015 00:30:47(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Click above to support your favorite artists albums!

PRE-ORDER CHARTS
(Calculated from boosts earned this week combined with last weeks pre-order sales)

Reported Failure - Lie In [270000]
GirlSpice - Crown [130000]
Abie Lena - Greatest Hits: The Best of Me [120000]
Aliya Rose - Party Is Over EP [90000]
Jared Nevo - Lungs [30000]
Alec Cole - Just Me EP [unknown]

Let's all try and vote today so charts can be up by tomorrow!

thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
Realms Of Darkness on 22/05/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#146 Posted : 22 May 2015 17:22:38(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Click above for the best selling albums of the last 2 weeks!

Summary:
UserPostedImage

Welp, Reported Failure broke our charts and sold 1.1 million records. The new releases completely took over, GirlSpice's Crown debuting at #2 with a number just as excessive, 770,000 records to be exact. Abie Lena debuts at number #3 right behind them with her compilation throwback album. Behind her lies Aliya Rose's The Party Is Over EP doing great compared to the crazy charting standards Rum managed to set for an EP. And speaking of the devil, Word of Mouth was ruthlessly thrown down from it's number one spot but still keeps a tight chokehold on the top 5, Jared Nevo's critically acclaimed Lungs EP debuting #6. Sam Thatcher's (...)Human Disaster jumps to #7 showing a steady climb up the charts. Hopefully he'll continue climbing and give Reported Failure a run for their money (because RF is going to have a lot to spare once this check clears). Alec Cole's Just Me EP debuts at #8 but is guaranteed to do better once someone stops playing and RELEASES A SINGLE (not us giving out career advice so Reported Failure doesn't put us all out of business #wegottasticktogether). Amy Meyer goes up 2 spots this week but still no promising signs of the album really hitting off like it should. Adam Black makes a horrendous drop from debuting #2 last week and falling all the way down to #12. Due to the huge wave of new albums, our 15 space limit feels like 5 as we lose some respectable albums this week. From Edward Barat's DETONATE to Penetralia's In Fear Faith and Flaws 5 albums dropped out of the Golden 15, including Tisha Jackson's 25: Deluxe Edition. Hitting #1 5 times non consecutively and serving one of the longest runs on the charts, the Queen of R&B leaves a nice little mark in our Golden 15 history.

HIP HOP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

R&B CHARTS
UserPostedImage

POP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

INDIE CHARTS
UserPostedImage

ROCK CHARTS

UserPostedImage

ELECTRONIC CHARTS
UserPostedImage

PRE-ORDER CHARTS

NONE

UserPostedImage

OOC: ALL boosts were added! I got 11 voters this week. I like it when we vote. You guys should keep voting. I might even post charts on time now lol.

Edited by user 22 May 2015 17:23:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 22/05/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 22/05/2015(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 23/05/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 24/05/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 25/05/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 04/06/2015(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#147 Posted : 02 June 2015 11:59:41(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
SYNCO - Our World

Thank you :)
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
Offline kandii  
#148 Posted : 13 June 2015 07:52:46(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Click above for the best selling albums of the last 3 weeks!

Summary:
UserPostedImage

After an uber-successful debut on our charts, Reported Failure drops to #2 with half a million sales as GirlSpice completely takes over for the week with 610k sales. Although with a release of another single Reported Failure could easily claim that spot back, it's major hit "Hands On" being one of the main reasons why it got there in the first place. Abie Lena continues to flex at #3, Aliya Rose's EP really trying to give the album a run for it's money and break into the top 3. Rum is finally knocked down from top 5 while new SYNCO fans take this last week leading up to "Our World" to catch up on their last album "Grown". Natasha Iver also shoots up from #13 to #6 with the release of a new single that's bound to keep the album selling for a few more weeks. Alec Cole's manages to hold it's spot at #8 as Sam Thatcher's album begins to fall again but with rumors of a single release or some form of actual promotion he's more than likely to get right back to climbing. Meanwhile, Amy Meyer's month old album drops off the charts.

HIP HOP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

R&B CHARTS
UserPostedImage

POP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

INDIE CHARTS
UserPostedImage

ROCK CHARTS

UserPostedImage

ELECTRONIC CHARTS
UserPostedImage

PRE-ORDER CHARTS

SYNCO - Our World [180000]

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 13/06/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 16/06/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#149 Posted : 21 June 2015 04:40:48(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Let's all try and vote today so charts can be up by tomorrow!
snap_itshannah on 21/06/2015(UTC)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#150 Posted : 24 June 2015 16:37:12(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 638 post(s)
OOC: I looovee the quotes you put in the subjects every week! LOL, keep doing it please!
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
kandii on 24/06/2015(UTC)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#151 Posted : 28 June 2015 22:23:52(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Tisha Jackson - 25 [iTunes Deluxe Edition]
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Offline kandii  
#152 Posted : 23 August 2015 09:41:27(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage

Bitch betta have my votes!
Yall should know me well enough
Please don't call me on my bluff
Only post twice a month but y'all will be okay
It's not like yall vote on time anyways

Just vote vote vote!

Princess_Valentine is the only reason why these charts were still alive
I try my best, but please know it's just excuses when I remind that I have a li-i-ife
LIES
I'm just lazy, to the point where I log out every time something's expected of me
Procrastinate for fun but I get shit done, even if it's been overdue for 3 weeks

But when you take this poll
It let's me know know know
That maybe I should try
Just a little mo'

That's why bitch betta have my votes!
That bitch betta have my... you betta have my...bitch betta have my votes!

Hol' up.. My votes!
Don't only care when yo' albums win
And don't vote high for yo' friends
Please don't Christmas tree my charts
Cause that Christmas trees my heart
And I'll Christmas tree yo' arm
Turn yo' parts into pop art
Told you my artpop could mean anything
It's a reverse Warholian experience, that could mean anything
Got a new layout on Tumblr
Reminds me of when MySpace still conquered
And why people like Facebook, I've always wondered
MySpace was always funner
Anyways, I know these charts aint even all that
But where else you gon' vote at?

UserPostedImage

(OOC: Obviously I'm very bored and will probably edit this out later.)

UserPostedImage

https://surveyplanet.com/55d901c5fe75fb2e3b42974b

Edited by user 23 August 2015 09:49:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Atonic Records on 23/08/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 23/08/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#153 Posted : 25 August 2015 09:34:41(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Click above for this month's best selling albums!

Summary:
UserPostedImage

Everybody needs a little summer vacation! After a brief hiatus from the simmering heat, The Golden 15 is back and better than ever! But enough about us, let's talk about the surge of new albums on our charts! It looks like we have yet another intense face off on our hands. We haven't seen 2 albums switch back and forth from the #1 spot so much during our calculations since Tisha Jackson's 25 and Isabel's All Eyes On Me were going at it. We're referring to the two girl groups that completely dominated and took over the summer, all while remaining friends, of course, Mi•Mi and SYNCO. Though SYNCO are one of the businesses most beloved veterans who are still doing it, the comeback queens Mi•Mi take the chart topping title this week with 510000 sales this week for their hit album He Say She Say. Our World follows with 480000 sales and Julia Volkova (can we just call her the Queen of Rock already? Pretty sure she deserves to be called the Queen of Rock by now) follows with 400000 sales which could've easily knocked both of these girl groups down with the help of a top 5 single. Medina debuts right behind the leading new release at #4 with 390000 sales which also could've just as easily topped the charts with a recent hit single. But when it comes to the rest of the new releases, Kourtney's Made Of Steele, Michael Brown's Library EP, Amy-Jayne's Cosmic Love and Henry Johanson's Speaking In Colors flops hard, Made Of Steele debuting at #10, Library debuting at #14, Cosmic Love debuting #1...on our bubbling under charts and Speaking In Colors landing even lower at #4 on our bubbling under charts. In reality, their sales aren't bad, ranging between 340000 to 290000 but due to this new trend of releasing albums with no singles, it doesn't exactly give them a fair advantage over the girls who have been battling it out for the song of the Summer...since Spring.

HIP HOP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

R&B CHARTS
UserPostedImage

POP CHARTS
UserPostedImage

INDIE CHARTS
UserPostedImage

ROCK CHARTS

UserPostedImage

ELECTRONIC CHARTS

UserPostedImage
Atonic Records on 25/08/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 02/09/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#154 Posted : 30 August 2015 00:48:52(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Realms Of Darkness on 02/09/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#155 Posted : 29 September 2015 04:09:07(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

The monthly update goes up tonight! Get your final votes in!
Offline JohnnyBBB  
#156 Posted : 30 September 2015 23:02:44(UTC)
JohnnyBBB

Man
Greece

Was thanked: 1727 time(s) in 443 post(s)
Johnny Carter - Deadly Party EP
Offline C4AJoh  
#157 Posted : 18 October 2015 22:49:43(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8589 time(s) in 2692 post(s)
Riot! In The Boulevard - "Boycott Love"
Offline kandii  
#158 Posted : 24 November 2015 02:05:20(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

JohnnyBBB on 24/11/2015(UTC)
Offline Matticus  
#159 Posted : 24 November 2015 10:05:19(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
Buzz & Hype - Out Of The Sweatshop Released 29/11/15
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#160 Posted : 12 December 2015 19:56:24(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage